HDD failing? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 07-17-2014, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question HDD failing?

I am running a MacPro 5,1 with OS 10.6.8. I have EyeTV recording TV shows and watching them with XBMC 11.0. On Tuesday night I tried watching a recorded show. The XBMC menu was very slow taking close to a minute just to scroll through the different TV shows. When watching the recording stopped for buffering. I thought it might just be something quirky that night until it happened again last night except the buffering started happening every 15 sec at the end. I looked at the activity monitor and nothing was using more than 10-15% of the cpu. It also looks like EyeTV may have stopped recording some shows early both days. Both nights I was trying to watch a recorded show while EyeTV was recording. I have not had a chance to see if there is a problem watching when nothing is recording. Even after quitting XBMC trying to access the drive that contains my recordings was slow in the finder, EyeTV was still recording. The drive is an internal 4Tb drive. There is still over 100Gb free on the drive. Does this sound like a drive that is about to die? In the past I have recorded 4 shows while watching another recording simultaneously with no problems. The last two days I was getting the problem while only recording 2 shows and watching 1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-17-2014, 09:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
It could be that drive, but it could just as likely be other things…a few thoughts:

How much RAM and what drive are you booting from? The problem might be there and not your 4TB drive at all.

Do you have any similar problems when you cut XMBC out of the picture completely and just view your recordings from within EyeTV itself?

Also, just because I'm inherently curious: why are you running such old versions of everything?

Is there any slowdown when you're just using XBMC (or some other player like VLC or Plex) to watch something and NOT involving EyeTV in any way? Close EyeTV just to be sure. Besides checking CPU always remember to check memory usage in Activity monitor whenever EyeTV is involved because historically it has done strange things with it.

100GB free on a 4TB drive doesn't sound like much free space percentage-wise, should it still work fine recording two streams and watching a third, I'd assume yes but I have never filled any of my storage drives up that much. To be safe why not move off about 500GB to another drive and re-test. Is it a 4TB green drive?

You also didn't mention which tuners you're using…is it an HD Homerun?

Do you have another Mac in the house? If so, can you mount that 4TB drive over the network and play back some files? How smoothly and quickly does that go?
post #3 of 11 Old 07-17-2014, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

One error I did make. The drive in question is a 2Tb WD green drive.

The reasons to be running the software is: The skin I like in XBMC does not work in later versions, EyeTV is up to date, OS 10.6.8 has been working with EyeTV and XBMC, don't need to hold down key combinations to do simple things like Save As and that flat look that Apple thinks is so futuristic looks like crap from the 80's. Enough ranting.

I am using 2 dual tuner HDHomeruns.

I have 10GB or ram and boot off the original hard drive that came with the machine so it is separate from the EyeTV and XBMC data.

I moved EyeTV to another disk and ran XBMC and it worked fine. I moved EyeTV back and got hesitation again.

I just ran disk utility and it says the drive is corrupt. I don't have anything to back up this disk to before trying to repair it so it might be a good time to upgrade to that 4Tb drive. Unless you have any good ideas I might just keep EyeTV on a separate drive until I can get a new one then figure out if this old drive is worth keeping.
post #4 of 11 Old 07-18-2014, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The first thing I would do is try to make a clone or image file copy of the drive on a new drive using SuperDuper, then run DiskWarrior on the drive. DiskWarrior has saved my butt a number of times.. Try running a smart test on the drive from DW if it's good you can try rebuilding the Directory.
If the drive is bad but you can get a clone of it the clone may be good. I've used the clone and it has been working for many years now without issue.
One Item I find very handy is this:
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/U3NVSPATA/
The one I use is from Granite Digital but it's just about the same as this...
It's great for making clones and backups on bare drives.
post #5 of 11 Old 07-23-2014, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

I finally got a new drive last night. I had the free version of carbon copy cloner so I duplicated the drive. This morning it listed a hand full of files with bad sectors. Will have to do some more testing this evening and see if Disk Warrior can fix the original drive.
post #6 of 11 Old 07-23-2014, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillie14586 View Post
I finally got a new drive last night. I had the free version of carbon copy cloner so I duplicated the drive. This morning it listed a hand full of files with bad sectors. Will have to do some more testing this evening and see if Disk Warrior can fix the original drive.
Is this the only drive in your system? If not I would check your other drive as well.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-23-2014, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 14
If your drive has bad sectors in it then I would not try to fix or use it anymore. Drive is gone, time to wipe it and discard it. You didn't mention what you bought as a replacement drive but I would highly suggest staying away from the WD Green drives. There are a lot of reports of it failing early and from my experience, all 8 of my WD Green drives have failed within the warranty period or less than a year after it expired. I've never seen this kind of failure rate amongst any drives in my 25 years of buying them.

Quote:
post #8 of 11 Old 07-23-2014, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ One View Post
Is this the only drive in your system? If not I would check your other drive as well.
This is 1 of 4 drives. There is the original 1Tb main drive, a 4Tb Time Machine backup, another 2Tb WD green the same age as the failing drive but it is on the back up.
post #9 of 11 Old 07-23-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
This is 1 of 4 drives. There is the original 1Tb main drive, a 4Tb Time Machine backup, another 2Tb WD green the same age as the failing drive but it is on the back up.
The best drives that I have used are the Seagate Barracuda's , 1TB... I have at least a dozen running in unRaid servers and MacPros. I have some 2 TBs but not long enough for a reliability opinion. Some people like the WD Black Caviar drives. The green drives are trouble. Look at the SMART reports, these drives normally will reallocate bad sectors to the spare sectors for that purpose on the drive unless you have a very large number of them. I have a 500gb drive many years old with 5 reallocated sectors that runs fine. If your drive continues to reallocate sectors frequently I would junk it, but if it remains stable I wouldn't worry too much.
And I'm with you I still run 10.6.8 for EyeTV and ProTools etc. It's reliable and don't like a lot of the changes in the newer systems. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I think companies make changes just for the sake of change as a marketing tool not because it is an improvement.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-25-2014, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Well after looking at what files were affected most of them were the shows that tried to record the two days before I noticed there were problems. There were a couple other files affect but not many. So Disk Warrior said the SMART report said the drive is working properly. When I try to fix the directory Disk Warrior says it cannot rewrite the directory because of a hardware problem. It could have been a lot worse. I am needing to rethink my backup program. With a new video recorder that uses cards instead of tape and a growing picture catalog. If I want to add these recordings to my backup I need to find a way to backup 6-7Tb and growing of data.
post #11 of 11 Old 10-19-2014, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
FYI: there are now 6TB drives out from both Western Digital and Seagate.
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat