post #451 of 2181 Old 04-24-2004, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by rezzy
I tried reading thru the entire thread and could'nt seem to find what problems B&Ws have with this recording setup. Is it a case-by-case scenario, or does this setup just not work?

I would definitely try it. 2 people did however report a crash on launch of VirtualDVHS and SDK 18. I would try a clean install of OS 10.3.3 and SDK 19 along with a OHCI PCI firewire card if possible.

rcliff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2181 Old 04-24-2004, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

No luck with the subunit explorer on my SA box The tuner subunit shows "no known opcodes" and the panel subunit fails with "not implemented" on all opcodes with the exception of mute function, restore volume function, tune function, and tune function subchannel.

EDIT: No luck with my Sony box either. It has no panel subunit.

rcliff
post #453 of 2181 Old 04-24-2004, 10:30 AM

I need to add some tuner opcodes to test out. What subunits does your Sony have? Do the tune functions work for status or control and do they actually change the channel? I thought the SA boxes were not responding to the tune commands.
post #454 of 2181 Old 04-24-2004, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The Sony box has a tuner subunit but no panel subunit.

On the SA box, the control tune function is accepted but nothing appears to happen. What should happen?

rcliff
post #455 of 2181 Old 04-24-2004, 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by rcliff
On the SA box, the control tune function is accepted but nothing appears to happen. What should happen?

If channel 41 is a valid channel on your system, it should change to it. I'm suprised it is accepted, but doesn't happen. Then again, it is the one function on the 6200 that appears to be buggy.
post #456 of 2181 Old 04-24-2004, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by kaadray
If channel 41 is a valid channel on your system, it should change to it. I'm suprised it is accepted, but doesn't happen. Then again, it is the one function on the 6200 that appears to be buggy.

It does not change to 41 and 41 is valid.

rcliff
post #457 of 2181 Old 04-24-2004, 02:43 PM

I updated the application to include some tuner functions so one can see if the advertised subunit is potentially functional, or just used as a marker to indicate the general functionality of the device.
post #458 of 2181 Old 04-24-2004, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by kaadray
Subunit Explorer

Subunit Explorer 1.0 is available for download. It
  • Shows your AV/C devices
  • For each device, shows the available subunits
  • For each subunit displays a list of know functions/opcodes to send/test
  • Allows you to send those functions, or send custom opcodes.

This is actually pretty fun/useful with the 6200. The 6200 implements nearly all of the panel pass-through commands which means you can control channels, menus, favorites, info, etc... all from the computer. In most cases my box responds faster to the command from my Mac than from my remote.

Read the webpage and the readme file with the application for other information and the current limitations.

In addition, the source to the modified AV/C Browser app is available. It was modified in a rush of excitement to get it working so don't look too closely at the code style...

http://home.comcast.net/~macpvr/

kaadray,

This is some pretty neat stuff.

Regards,
Joe

Going "over the top" with OTA, Netflix, Drobo FS and Apple TV!
post #459 of 2181 Old 04-25-2004, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

kaadray - I just tested AVC Browser v3.1 and looks good on my small screen, thanks for the update. I was able to tune channels with it, even channels ending in 0 (was this a problem ?).

I also tried your Subunit Explorer and and the tuner says "no known opcodes", the panel works fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #460 of 2181 Old 04-25-2004, 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by dozens
kaadray - I just tested AVC Browser v3.1 and looks good on my small screen, thanks for the update. I was able to tune channels with it, even channels ending in 0 (was this a problem ?).

I'm using a secondary method to tune channels so it should work (if we are talking about a 6200). If I used the "best" way it likely would not work for channels ending in zero.

Quote:

I also tried your Subunit Explorer and and the tuner says "no known opcodes", the panel works fine.

There is an update that includes some opcodes to test for the tuner subunit, but if this is a 6200, it won't matter since it isn't implemented.
post #461 of 2181 Old 04-26-2004, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

I am sorry, I meant to say I had a 6200.

Anyone know if these recording programs will work on a 6208 (PVR box) ? I hope they will be available soon in my area and trying to decide if I should go ahead and get one and use AVC Browser to record of more long-term storage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #462 of 2181 Old 04-26-2004, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I know the .m2t files should play with WinDVD after renaming to .trp. I'm not having any luck though. WinDVD shows PLAY and I just get a black screen and no errors. I'm using version 4.5 platinum. If anyone who has done this can tell me the version that worked and if there were any specific settings that need to be changed, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

EDIT: I figured out the problem. WinDVD 5 is required to playback the transport streams. It works now.

rcliff
post #463 of 2181 Old 04-26-2004, 09:46 PM

Just stumbled across this thread a few days ago, and now I'm trying to get it all working. Any help, or ideas on how to diagnose my problem would be appreciated. Or if this is the wrong thread, please let me know where I should post a request for help...

My problem is I can apparently have my Mac and my STB (6200) talk over firewire (e.g. mac sees it, mac can change its channels), but I cannot get the mac to record the .m2t files. And when I try to record, the mac creates a 0-byte .m2t file, but reports no error. Even the "seconds" status in the recording area ticks up, but the bitrate stays at 0, and nothing gets stored.

First, the setup. 15" iMac 800MHz, running 10.3.3 and all the latest software updates. I installed Firewire sdk 18, and downloaded the kaadray's AVC Browser Enhanced program 0.3.1. My STB is a Moto DCT6200 installed last Friday (4/23), running firmware 7.07. I am in the SF Bay Area (Comcast). I am trying to record the HD channels (KGO-184, KNTV-185, KPIX-186. or KQED-188), with no success on any of them. Eventually I downloaded Firewire SDK 19, no change. I also had the same experience if I tried to use the separate apps (AVCBrowser, VirtualDVHS 1.0b3), setting the VDVHS channel to the number indicated in the AVCBrowser.

When I launch AVC Browser Enhanced, I see my STB (name DCT-6200, type 31, in speed 800, out speed 400, #in 30, #out 1, out base 63). I then click "Open Device Controller" and see the AV/C Device window. Using the channel change controls causes the STB to change channels (cool!), but if I click "record" I get the aforementioned "0 byte file"/"0.00 Mbps bitrate" recording.

I also tried to "connect" in the "Output plugs" area, with the channel set to 0 (as that is what it is in the status area, then recording. No luck.

On the STB, if I go into d11 Interface Status on the diagnostics menu, it lists "1394 i/o device: inst", "Active ports: 1", "Data xmission: yes", "5c implementation: 0", and "no" for the last 3 (loop status, root status, cycle master status). If the mac is off, the diagnostic menu changes to "active ports 0", "data xmission no"

So... anyone recognize these symptoms and know what I'm doing wrong? or what I should look at to help diagnose my problem? Or am I just not doing something obvious to make the program work? Or is there something known about the 6200 in the SF Bay Area that doesn't allow this to work? Thanks in advance!
post #464 of 2181 Old 04-26-2004, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Poochie
Just stumbled across this thread a few days ago, and now I'm trying to get it all working. Any help, or ideas on how to diagnose my problem would be appreciated. Or if this is the wrong thread, please let me know where I should post a request for help...

My problem is I can apparently have my Mac and my STB (6200) talk over firewire (e.g. mac sees it, mac can change its channels), but I cannot get the mac to record the .m2t files. And when I try to record, the mac creates a 0-byte .m2t file, but reports no error. Even the "seconds" status in the recording area ticks up, but the bitrate stays at 0, and nothing gets stored.

First, the setup. 15" iMac 800MHz, running 10.3.3 and all the latest software updates. I installed Firewire sdk 18, and downloaded the kaadray's AVC Browser Enhanced program 0.3.1. My STB is a Moto DCT6200 installed last Friday (4/23), running firmware 7.07. I am in the SF Bay Area (Comcast). I am trying to record the HD channels (KGO-184, KNTV-185, KPIX-186. or KQED-188), with no success on any of them. Eventually I downloaded Firewire SDK 19, no change. I also had the same experience if I tried to use the separate apps (AVCBrowser, VirtualDVHS 1.0b3), setting the VDVHS channel to the number indicated in the AVCBrowser.

When I launch AVC Browser Enhanced, I see my STB (name DCT-6200, type 31, in speed 800, out speed 400, #in 30, #out 1, out base 63). I then click "Open Device Controller" and see the AV/C Device window. Using the channel change controls causes the STB to change channels (cool!), but if I click "record" I get the aforementioned "0 byte file"/"0.00 Mbps bitrate" recording.

I also tried to "connect" in the "Output plugs" area, with the channel set to 0 (as that is what it is in the status area, then recording. No luck.

On the STB, if I go into d11 Interface Status on the diagnostics menu, it lists "1394 i/o device: inst", "Active ports: 1", "Data xmission: yes", "5c implementation: 0", and "no" for the last 3 (loop status, root status, cycle master status). If the mac is off, the diagnostic menu changes to "active ports 0", "data xmission no"

So... anyone recognize these symptoms and know what I'm doing wrong? or what I should look at to help diagnose my problem? Or am I just not doing something obvious to make the program work? Or is there something known about the 6200 in the SF Bay Area that doesn't allow this to work? Thanks in advance!

The Comcast Bay Area thread in Local HDTV Reception indicates that Firewire may not be fully enabled in your area.

Regards,
Joe

post #465 of 2181 Old 04-26-2004, 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jsb_hburg
The Comcast Bay Area thread in Local HDTV Reception indicates that Firewire may not be fully enabled in your area.

Joe,
Thanks for the quick reply. I had perused that thread before, but was kinda hoping it was an "all or nothing" thing (e.g. once the ports are enabled, possibly through the 7.07 firmware which has apparently, along with the 6200 itself, just made it to our area), I'd be good to go. And I had read elsewhere (the 5100 FAQ on cjhengineering.com) that 7.07 was what 'enabled firewire', which along with my initial small success (changing channels) made me hope it was just my own blundering button-pushing (or lack thereof) that was causing my problems.
But alas, I'll monitor that thread to see if any of those other Bay Area folks get firewire working from their 6200s for HD recording, then I'll give it another try from my Mac. Again, thanks for the help!

- Josh
post #466 of 2181 Old 04-28-2004, 08:46 AM

For people with the Samsung T165 -

Are there any conditions under which the FireWire output is always active, e.g., when the unit it on/off/etc? I read something that seemed to imply it was only active when you have set up a recording event for a specific time.

Also, does it appear in AVC Browser? If so, and you've used my subunit explorer, what subunits does it advertise?

Thanks.
post #467 of 2181 Old 04-28-2004, 12:59 PM

kaadray, I have a T165 but I am not sure that my experience with it is typical. That said, I believe that my firewire output is always active (if I understand correctly what you mean by active) when the unit is on.

I do need to connect with the AVC browser before I can record with VirtualDVHS (or your modified AVC browser); it is my impression that others do not need this step. The T165 definitely shows up in the AVC browser. I do not have to set a recording event on the T165 in order to record from my Mac through the Firewire port.

As for the subunit explorer, I have only played with it for a couple of minutes. I recall it listing was about a half dozen entries titled 'tuner'. I could not get a response from any of them with any of the commands.

Hope that helps. Thanks for your work.

Alex
post #468 of 2181 Old 04-28-2004, 11:31 PM

I'm in a similar situation as Poochie, except I'm in Long Island and have Cablevision as my provider. I have the Sony DHG-M55CV connected to my Quicksilver G4. I've downloaded Firewore SDK 19, and can run AVCBrowser and VirtualDVHS.

I've been through all 25 pages of this thread and tried the different methods suggested to get recording to work. I rebooted both the Mac and STB; the Mac can see the STB. I tried opening VirtualDVHS first, then connecting with AVC second; recording doesnt work. In AVC:
Code:
Name: DHG-M55V
Type:Type-5
GUID:8004604030181f5
In Speed:200
Out Speed:200
#in:0
#out:1
Out Base:63
When I click "Unit Info":
Code:
=============== Sent AVC Command ===============
cType:   Status
subUnit: 0xFF
opCode:  Unit Info (0x30)
FCP Command Frame:
01 FF 30 FF FF FF FF FF 

=============== Received AVC Response ===============
response: Implemented/Stable
opCode:  Unit Info (0x30)
FCP Response Frame:
0C FF 30 07 28 08 00 46
When I click "Plug Info":
Code:
opCode:  Plug-Info (0x02)
FCP Command Frame:
01 FF 02 00 FF FF FF FF 

response: Not Implemented
opCode:  Plug-Info (0x02)
FCP Response Frame:
08 FF 02 00 FF FF FF FF
When I click "Subunit Info":
Code:
opCode:  Sub-Unit Info (0x31)
FCP Command Frame:
01 FF 31 07 FF FF FF FF 

response: Implemented/Stable
opCode:  Sub-Unit Info (0x31)
FCP Response Frame:
0C FF 31 07 28 FF FF FF
When I click "Output Plug Signal Format":
Code:
opCode:  Output Plug Signal Format (0x18)
FCP Command Frame:
01 FF 18 00 FF FF FF FF 

FCP Response Frame:
08 FF 18 00 FF FF FF FF
After I connect, the .m2t file in VirtualDVHS remains at 0K when I try to record. Changing the channels in both apps doesn't help either. I also cannot open the modified versions of AVC.
post #469 of 2181 Old 04-28-2004, 11:44 PM

rockman,

I *just* got something other than a 0-byte file.

One thing I forgot to do was actually install the prerelease packages from the SDK. I mistakenly thought those "prerelease" ones were for Jaguar. (Installed the packages from developer/FireWireSDK19/FirewireComponents/PreReleaseComponents/Packages/FW_PreRelease.pkg)

Then I rebooted, and it didn't work either. So I made sure I had quit all the programs (avc browser, virtualDVHS), then I rebooted my STB (pulled the power cable), then got things working.

Not sure which step got me off the ground (or even if I am yet ... I haven't even played the files back yet), but since I'm getting data written, and I saw you were stuck too, thought this might help.
post #470 of 2181 Old 04-29-2004, 03:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by rockman2023

When I click "Output Plug Signal Format":
Code:
FCP Command Frame:
01 FF 18 00 FF FF FF FF 

FCP Response Frame:
08 FF 18 00 FF FF FF FF
After I connect, the .m2t file in VirtualDVHS remains at 0K when I try to record. Changing the channels in both apps doesn't help either. I also cannot open the modified versions of AVC.

You should get "Implemented/Stable" for this one.

Regards,
Joe

post #471 of 2181 Old 04-29-2004, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Poochie
One thing I forgot to do was actually install the prerelease packages from the SDK. I mistakenly thought those "prerelease" ones were for Jaguar.

This is not correct. The prerelease components are for Jaguar ONLY and not for Panther. Do not install the prerelease components if you are already running Panther as you will be overwriting newer files with older versions. Poochie, you must have also made some other change that accounts for recording now working.

rcliff
post #472 of 2181 Old 04-29-2004, 09:12 AM

Quote:

This is not correct. The prerelease components are for Jaguar ONLY and not for Panther. Do not install the prerelease components if you are already running Panther as you will be overwriting newer files with older versions. Poochie, you must have also made some other change that accounts for recording now working.

If that didnt get recording to work, then I have no clue how to resolve my problem. Any suggestions as to how I can get the Output Plug's responce to Implemented/Stable?
post #473 of 2181 Old 04-29-2004, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Rockman, I know the Sony Cablevision box does indeed work. It could be that you have a box with older firmware that's causing the problem. I can check mine tonight to see what the output plug response is as well as the firmware revision. If the firmware is the issue you can just swap it out at a walk in center.

rcliff
post #474 of 2181 Old 04-29-2004, 10:33 AM

Quote:

Just to be clear, the pre-release components that were in SDK18 were needed for use with VirtualDVHS running in Jaguar, because Jaguar didn't have the AVC target services which are now part of Panther. Installing the SDK18 pre-release components would update Jaguar's IOFireWireAVC.kext to one that did include this functionality.

The pre-release components in SDK19 include changes to the Panther FireWire components that have not yet shipped in a software update (newer than 10.3.3 FireWire components). VirtualDVHS should work with our without these pre-release components on Panther based systems.
post #475 of 2181 Old 04-29-2004, 01:30 PM

Quote:

Rockman, I know the Sony Cablevision box does indeed work. It could be that you have a box with older firmware that's causing the problem. I can check mine tonight to see what the output plug response is as well as the firmware revision. If the firmware is the issue you can just swap it out at a walk in center.

If you can check, it'd be much appreciated.
post #476 of 2181 Old 04-29-2004, 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by FriarWyer
Just to be clear, the pre-release components that were in SDK18 were needed for use with VirtualDVHS running in Jaguar, because Jaguar didn't have the AVC target services which are now part of Panther. Installing the SDK18 pre-release components would update Jaguar's IOFireWireAVC.kext to one that did include this functionality.

The pre-release components in SDK19 include changes to the Panther FireWire components that have not yet shipped in a software update (newer than 10.3.3 FireWire components). VirtualDVHS should work with our without these pre-release components on Panther based systems.

Also to (hopefully) be clear, I was talking about the pre-release ones in SDK 19 (not 18). When I was having my initial failures, I had just installed the SDK 18 package itself (from the .dmg file downloaded from apple), but I had *not* actually ever installed a package from those directories. I later downloaded SDK 19 (after learning of its existence), and tried to record again, with no luck. Then I saw the FireWireComponents directory, and within that saw that there were Jaguar, Panther, and PreRelease versions that the readme made me believe I could install on Panther. So I installed *those* prerelease versions and rebooted. [Note I'm not in front of my mac right now so I might be a bit off on the contents of the FireWireComponents directory]

I guess as a final experiment I can try to backrev to the Panther 10.3.3 release components and see if I can still record (it sounds like I should be able to, according to FriarWyer).

On a side note, I have verified that the files themselves contain good data, when I played them back in vlc. This was true for files recorded with the combined "AV/C Browser Enhanced" and the "AV/C Browser combined with Virtual DVHS" methods. Thanks for all the info!
post #477 of 2181 Old 04-29-2004, 02:40 PM

I just installed the Pre-Release Components, and I still cant record.

This is what I do:
1) start VirtualDVHS (the proper directory is already in the preferences)
2) start AVCBrowser
3) in AVC, select the device and click Open Device Controller
4) Click 'Connect' in the Output section
5) click the record button in VirtualDVHS

Changing the channel number (0-63) doesn't help. What about the cable channel? I'll try broadcast channels for starters. I assume that those aren't copy-protected and should be recordable.
post #478 of 2181 Old 04-29-2004, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by rockman2023
I just installed the Pre-Release Components, and I still cant record.

This is what I do:
1) start VirtualDVHS (the proper directory is already in the preferences)
2) start AVCBrowser
3) in AVC, select the device and click Open Device Controller
4) Click 'Connect' in the Output section
5) click the record button in VirtualDVHS

Changing the channel number (0-63) doesn't help. What about the cable channel? I'll try broadcast channels for starters. I assume that those aren't copy-protected and should be recordable.

Rockman, I just checked my Sony box and I get the same response as you for the output plug signal format so that's not the issue. Also note, the channel for this box should be zero.

You mentioned that you would try to record broadcast channels for starters. If you are trying to record the analog broadcast channels (2,4,7,etc) I can guarantee that that will not work and that may be the cause of all your problems. The Sony box will only pass digital signals via the firewire port. Try channels in the 300's (sd digital) or 700's (HD digital). Analog channels will not output anything over firewire.

rcliff
post #479 of 2181 Old 04-30-2004, 06:45 PM

Ok,

question for all the mac-ites ... been playing with a powermac + osx + avsbrowser for a few days now.

It *rocks*. Does exactly what it's supposed to do, solidly at that.

However, was wondering a few things about the avsbrowser and 6200+mac as well ...

1) Does the avcbrowser support the 6200 for channel changes? I find it's very hit or miss. And when it's miss, the channel change function is locked up until you manually power down and reset the unit.

The Subunit Explorer method of pressing buttons works flawlessly. Would it be possible to fix AVCBrowser so it behaves the same way? Easiest way to set a channel would be to hit the EXIT button, then the three channel #s, then SELECT. That should work each and every time, without fail, no matter what is on the screen or what mode the 6200 is in.

Also, concerning the 6200 specifically - has anyone developped a timer package that will select a 6200 channel, start up the record process, top the record process, etc?

This would have to be customized to the 6200 as it doesn't support the tuner device.

thanks !

- litz
post #480 of 2181 Old 04-30-2004, 09:37 PM

All of this is astoundingly interesting--I can't wait until Monday when my SA3250 arrives to attempt it. However....

Although I've seen plenty of discussion about using older hardware as the recording device (all the way down to beige G3s), I haven't seen any discussion about interface cards. I have a PowerBook G3 (400MHz processor--Lombard) that doesn't have built-in firewire. I do, however, have a FireWire CardBus card that I use for my external firewire hard drive.

Any idea if capturing the transport stream with the CardBus card will work?

Best,
Brad
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page