How-To: MacOS X Firewire HDTV recording - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 2181 Old 05-14-2004, 06:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok ...

Been playing with the Mac recording now for about two weeks.

It works great.

EXCEPT the Mac keeps freezing when I try to schedule recordings.

iCal opens, mac freezes. DEAD. Only resolution is a yank-the-power-cord to reboot it solution.

*WHY* ?

It ran GREAT for a whole week, now I can't get it to survive a day.

This is on an old beige g3/266 (which shouldn't matter - others are using the same computer).

Has anyone else run into a similar problem?

thanks

- litz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2181 Old 05-14-2004, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jsb_hburg
Which set of scripts are you using? The ones for the original AVCBrowser/VirtualDVHS or the newer ones for kaadray's modified AVCBrowser? If the latter, you will need to rename the original AVCBrowser to avoid confusion with the newer set of scripts. What machine are you using? How much RAM? Do you have the storage path set up?

Which record script are you using? What cable box are you using?

litz,

Need the info in the quote above to troubleshoot.

Regards,
Joe

Going "over the top" with OTA, Netflix, Drobo FS and Apple TV!
post #543 of 2181 Old 05-14-2004, 06:37 PM

Quote:
litz,

Need the info in the quote above to troubleshoot.

I used the original scripts, but modified for the new AVC Browser.

I also modified the Channel change / Channel Up/down scripts to work with the modified AVC Browser.

The functions are the same, but some of the buttons and # of tab keypresses are different.

Machine is a G3/266 beige minitower w/addon firewire. 384mb of memory.

The machine does the proper channel change, AND properly starts recording, then freezes midway.

As an example of scheduling, I set iCal to do the following :

5mins before, channel change
3mins before, channel up/down if channel ends in zero
1min before, launch and record
xx mins after, stop and quit.

And it's a HARD freeze. Even the keyboard "reboot" command doesn't work. I have to pull the power cord.

Examples of the scripts (launch/record and stop/quit from here, rest inside Tune to Channel)

thanks !

- litz
post #544 of 2181 Old 05-14-2004, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ylandsman
Has anyone had any success in getting final cut pro hd to connect to the 6200?

I haven't played much with it since it updated, but I believe FCP HD only supports one particular format that I am too lazy to look up, but which is not what the 6200 generates.
post #545 of 2181 Old 05-14-2004, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dozens
Using MpegPSPlay v0.8 I do "./MpegPSPlay http://mac-ip:8080" I believe MpegPSPlay has some vlc code in it.

Thanks dozens, I'll give it a try. I think the Roku has a lot of potential but is still quite rough around the edges and definitely not consumer friendly.

rcliff
post #546 of 2181 Old 05-14-2004, 07:37 PM

So with 5c coming on in various areas, it seems that there is a decline in interest in recording with just the broadcast channels. I am interested in time-shifting even just the broadcast channels once my area has everything else encrypted, so I continue to work on my timed recording app, but I am curious if anyone else is still interested for similar reasons? If not, I won't bother to make it robust and pretty, I'll just get to the point where it works for me and stop . But if people are still interested, I'll do a better job of it. Feel free to send a PM if you think this is too off-topic to reply in-thread.
post #547 of 2181 Old 05-14-2004, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Kaadray, please continue This is great stuff for the Mac and HD recording with no viable equivalent on the PC. Even if this becomes an OTA only solution, I think there will still be an interest.

rcliff
post #548 of 2181 Old 05-14-2004, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kaadray
So with 5c coming on in various areas, it seems that there is a decline in interest in recording with just the broadcast channels. I am interested in time-shifting even just the broadcast channels once my area has everything else encrypted, so I continue to work on my timed recording app, but I am curious if anyone else is still interested for similar reasons? If not, I won't bother to make it robust and pretty, I'll just get to the point where it works for me and stop . But if people are still interested, I'll do a better job of it. Feel free to send a PM if you think this is too off-topic to reply in-thread.

kaadray,

I hope you continue with it. We don't know to what extent 5C will be applied to the various channels. OTA HD will definitely be in the clear. We don't know what kind of future 5C will have if Boucher's DMCRA bill passes which would restore fair use rights lost through the DMCA.

I timeshift a lot of local OTA HD.

Regards,
Joe

post #549 of 2181 Old 05-15-2004, 01:01 PM

I'll second that ...

While I prefer the MyHD for OTA recording (its transport streams are a little easier to edit/manipulate than the Motorola 6200 streams) here in Marietta, GA I can't get 1/2 the OTA channels due to multipath and bad signal.

So I'm reliant on the 6200 for the rest of the channels.

And the Mac caps very well for this (although I'm still having random freezeup problems).

Plus -- as mentioned above, we may well get the 5C restrictions loosened or removed by law ...

- litz
post #550 of 2181 Old 05-16-2004, 12:32 AM

Hi all,

Awesome thread! I just purchased a HDTV, so of course the first thing I did after reading this thread was have Cox activate the firewire on the back of my 3250HD.

So far, I've had success recording via kaadray's AVCBrowser 0.3 (*great* app, btw!). I've recorded INHD, Discovery HD and other channels with no issues. Like others, no luck recording premium HD channels like HBO-HD.

My only problem so far is playback in VLC -- like mentioned in other posts, I have no audio playback on my G5 dual 2.0.

Ok, so here are my questions:

1. Is there a Mac alternative to VLC that *will* handle audio playback on the G5?

2. How can I play the recorded .m2t files back on my HDTV/3250HD?

3. Is there a way to change channels on the 3250HD via AVCBrowser? (I've only seen directions for the 6200)

4. Is there a way to encode/convert .m2t files to burn/play on a DVD player?

5. I see lots of premium HBO HD shows posted on the net for download (Sopranos, Deadwood, etc). How are people recording this if there's a 5C restriction? Do they record it on a D-VHS like the JVC and then somehow dump it from the the D-VHS deck to a PC/Mac?

Here's my big question (and one that will show my total newbie cluelessness):

We know that recorded HD content takes up about 9GB for 1hour, so 30 minutes (give or take) of HD content should fit on a single DVD-R sans compression. Given that, would a DVD burned with 30 minutes of HD content still play in 1080i upon playback, or are progressive DVD players limited to 480p playback, regardless of source material? Would a DVI-equipped DVD player allow playback of recorded HD content?

Thanks all. I know most of these questions have been addressed, but I've just browsed through 30 pages of posts in this thread and I'm cross-eyed after nearly 3 hours of reading.
post #551 of 2181 Old 05-16-2004, 06:10 AM

Quote:

Given that, would a DVD burned with 30 minutes of HD content still play in 1080i upon playback, or are progressive DVD players limited to 480p playback, regardless of source material? Would a DVI-equipped DVD player allow playback of recorded HD content?

No it would not play at 1080i, the dvd player is limited to 480p. There are some on the market now that tout 1080i output through up-conversion. I'm not sure how it would look but it would probably look better then a normal dvd. You could just wait for blue-laser dvd's with a capacity of 20-30 gigs, don't hold your breath though.
post #552 of 2181 Old 05-16-2004, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by swartzfeger
Hi all,

Awesome thread! I just purchased a HDTV, so of course the first thing I did after reading this thread was have Cox activate the firewire on the back of my 3250HD.

So far, I've had success recording via kaadray's AVCBrowser 0.3 (*great* app, btw!). I've recorded INHD, Discovery HD and other channels with no issues. Like others, no luck recording premium HD channels like HBO-HD.

My only problem so far is playback in VLC -- like mentioned in other posts, I have no audio playback on my G5 dual 2.0.

Ok, so here are my questions:

Quote:

1. Is there a Mac alternative to VLC that *will* handle audio playback on the G5?

Have you tried the very latest VLC beta 0.7.2-test2?

Quote:

2. How can I play the recorded .m2t files back on my HDTV/3250HD?

The SA boxes do not have working input plugs and neither do the Motorola boxes.

Quote:

3. Is there a way to change channels on the 3250HD via AVCBrowser? (I've only seen directions for the 6200)

Presently, the SA firmware does not permit changing the channel over Firewire.

Quote:

4. Is there a way to encode/convert .m2t files to burn/play on a DVD player?

I wish I knew but I would not want to downconvert my capture in so doing. Who knows; maybe 10.4 Tiger may allow burning and hardware-based playback of .m2t files.

Quote:

5. I see lots of premium HBO HD shows posted on the net for download (Sopranos, Deadwood, etc). How are people recording this if there's a 5C restriction? Do they record it on a D-VHS like the JVC and then somehow dump it from the the D-VHS deck to a PC/Mac?

Not all systems have enabled 5C yet. My advice would be not to download or upload .m2t files to a file sharing service unless you are the copyright holder.

Quote:

Here's my big question (and one that will show my total newbie cluelessness):

We know that recorded HD content takes up about 9GB for 1hour, so 30 minutes (give or take) of HD content should fit on a single DVD-R sans compression. Given that, would a DVD burned with 30 minutes of HD content still play in 1080i upon playback, or are progressive DVD players limited to 480p playback, regardless of source material? Would a DVI-equipped DVD player allow playback of recorded HD content?

Full bit rate HD is about 9 GB per hour. "Premium" HD bit rate is about 14 Mbps which would take up about 5 GB per hour - some "premium," hmmm? However, today's consumer dvd players will not play .m2t files but rather lower resolution .VOB files.

Quote:

Thanks all. I know most of these questions have been addressed, but I've just browsed through 30 pages of posts in this thread and I'm cross-eyed after nearly 3 hours of reading.

Yep, there is a lot of info in this thread.

Regards,
Joe

post #553 of 2181 Old 05-16-2004, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by dudehey
No it would not play at 1080i, the dvd player is limited to 480p. There are some on the market now that tout 1080i output through up-conversion. I'm not sure how it would look but it would probably look better then a normal dvd. You could just wait for blue-laser dvd's with a capacity of 20-30 gigs, don't hold your breath though.

Yep, you will have to wait for the next generation dvd players.

Regards,
Joe

post #554 of 2181 Old 05-16-2004, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by litz
I used the original scripts, but modified for the new AVC Browser.

I also modified the Channel change / Channel Up/down scripts to work with the modified AVC Browser.

The functions are the same, but some of the buttons and # of tab keypresses are different.

Machine is a G3/266 beige minitower w/addon firewire. 384mb of memory.

The machine does the proper channel change, AND properly starts recording, then freezes midway.

As an example of scheduling, I set iCal to do the following :

5mins before, channel change
3mins before, channel up/down if channel ends in zero
1min before, launch and record
xx mins after, stop and quit.

And it's a HARD freeze. Even the keyboard "reboot" command doesn't work. I have to pull the power cord.

Examples of the scripts (launch/record and stop/quit from here, rest inside Tune to Channel)

thanks !

- litz

The latest scripts to be used with kaadray's modified AVCBrowser are found in this post . Sorry, I couldn't reply sooner. The older scripts do not work with kaadray's modified AVCBrowser.

Here is the direct link to the zip file but I strongly caution you to read the post linked above for the all important details!!!!!!

http://mac_hdtv_timer.home.comcast.net/1394Recorder.zip

I have not updated the website because these scripts are an interim solution as I would imagine that kaadray's application, when released, will render it as being "old school."

Regards,
Joe

post #555 of 2181 Old 05-16-2004, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I still don't understand why people seem to be having a problem with audio output on VLC on the G5. I had this problem before version 0.7 but it seems to have been fixed since then. To those still having a problem.

1) Are you using the latest version (currently 0.7.2test2)
2) Are you using analog or optical out (I've only used analog)
3) Have you reset the sound control panel to the right setting after launch
4) Have you checked the coreaudio setting under Preferences->modules->AudioOutput->CoreAudio

rcliff
post #556 of 2181 Old 05-16-2004, 12:48 PM

Hmm ...

The scripts I'm using are already modified for the "new" AVC browser, and they do seem to work ... the freezeups I have happen mid-capture. The machine just freezes and locks up.

Although ...

I think I may have found at least *a* cause for my freezeups ...

I've been copying my files via Samba across the network.

If I originate the file copy from the *mac* instead, copying to a Windows fileshare, it seems to be MUCH stabler.

The reason for this is that 1) the HTPC (and its MyHD HDTV card) are on a Windows PC, and the utilities for cutting transport streams are on that machine as well.

- litz
post #557 of 2181 Old 05-16-2004, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by litz
Hmm ...

The scripts I'm using are already modified for the "new" AVC browser, and they do seem to work ... the freezeups I have happen mid-capture. The machine just freezes and locks up.

Although ...

I think I may have found at least *a* cause for my freezeups ...

I've been copying my files via Samba across the network.

If I originate the file copy from the *mac* instead, copying to a Windows fileshare, it seems to be MUCH stabler.

The reason for this is that 1) the HTPC (and its MyHD HDTV card) are on a Windows PC, and the utilities for cutting transport streams are on that machine as well.

- litz

I use the MyHD card for playback and HDTV2MPEG to edit on my Dell.

Regards,
Joe

post #558 of 2181 Old 05-16-2004, 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by rcliff
I still don't understand why people seem to be having a problem with audio output on VLC on the G5. I had this problem before version 0.7 but it seems to have been fixed since then. To those still having a problem.

1) Are you using the latest version (currently 0.7.2test2)

Yes.

Quote:

2) Are you using analog or optical out (I've only used analog)

Analog.

Quote:

3) Have you reset the sound control panel to the right setting after launch

Yes

Quote:

4) Have you checked the coreaudio setting under Preferences->modules->AudioOutput->CoreAudio

This I have NOT done yet. My current pref says '-1 Audio Device.' Should it be another value?
post #559 of 2181 Old 05-16-2004, 02:11 PM

Quote:

Have you tried the very latest VLC beta 0.7.2-test2?

The SA boxes do not have working input plugs and neither do the Motorola boxes.

Presently, the SA firmware does not permit changing the channel over Firewire.

I wish I knew but I would not want to downconvert my capture in so doing. Who knows; maybe 10.4 Tiger may allow burning and hardware-based playback of .m2t files.

Not all systems have enabled 5C yet. My advice would be not to download or upload .m2t files to a file sharing service unless you are the copyright holder.

Full bit rate HD is about 9 GB per hour. "Premium" HD bit rate is about 14 Mbps which would take up about 5 GB per hour - some "premium," hmmm? However, today's consumer dvd players will not play .m2t files but rather lower resolution .VOB files.

Yep, there is a lot of info in this thread.

Joe, thanks so much for the detailed reply.

So, is it accurate for me to state that Mac/firewire HDTV recording is nowhere near a TivoHD equivalent yet? The 6200/3250 don't allow playback on the HDTV, relegating viewing to my computer LCD monitor. There's no way of recording m2t files and playing them back at their native 1080i. Should I just consider this a way to archive HD content I enjoy until a HD-DVD or HD-recordable format is released?

Do we know if Scientific Atlanta/Motorola will ever support input on the back of their boxes?

Now that I think about it, most of this moot anyway. My new house (a log cabin, being built in the middle of NOWHERE) will not have cable service and I will be forced to go with a satellite service like DirecTV, Dish or Voom.

Are the options for HD recording/playback any better with satellite? From what I've read, it doesn't even seem possible at this point!
post #560 of 2181 Old 05-16-2004, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Joe, thanks so much for the detailed reply.

So, is it accurate for me to state that Mac/firewire HDTV recording is nowhere near a TivoHD equivalent yet? The 6200/3250 don't allow playback on the HDTV, relegating viewing to my computer LCD monitor. There's no way of recording m2t files and playing them back at their native 1080i. Should I just consider this a way to archive HD content I enjoy until a HD-DVD or HD-recordable format is released?

Do we know if Scientific Atlanta/Motorola will ever support input on the back of their boxes?

Now that I think about it, most of this moot anyway. My new house (a log cabin, being built in the middle of NOWHERE) will not have cable service and I will be forced to go with a satellite service like DirecTV, Dish or Voom.

Are the options for HD recording/playback any better with satellite? From what I've read, it doesn't even seem possible at this point!

Maxtor is coming out with a special hard drive called the QuickView Expander or QVE for short. This hard drive should playback thru the cable box. Mac recording is easy. Mac playplack is a different story as it depends on what you have to decode the .m2t file.

Regards,
Joe

post #561 of 2181 Old 05-16-2004, 06:09 PM

I just got a DCT6200 and a mac just so I can record. It is a 400 power mac g3 B&W. I also purchased OSX 10.3.3. I tried to use the virtualdvhs but when I drag the folder on it or try to open it without dragging the folder my mac haults and tells me to restart???? I have tried everything I can think of. Display settings, sdk 18 + 19 , reinstalled osx then just 18 then just 19. everytime I open the firewire cap or dvhs it has a grey screen that scrolls down and says I must restart the mac by holding my reset button and the power??? I wish I could get this dagnappid thing to work and I understand that you prolly get a million messages with weird issues. I have a bunch of friends and we all just got macs and lcd projectors just for this reason. Any help at this point would be the greatest.

Thanx,
Tek
post #562 of 2181 Old 05-16-2004, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by ccteknet
I just got a DCT6200 and a mac just so I can record. It is a 400 power mac g3 B&W. I also purchased OSX 10.3.3. I tried to use the virtualdvhs but when I drag the folder on it or try to open it without dragging the folder my mac haults and tells me to restart???? I have tried everything I can think of. Display settings, sdk 18 + 19 , reinstalled osx then just 18 then just 19. everytime I open the firewire cap or dvhs it has a grey screen that scrolls down and says I must restart the mac by holding my reset button and the power??? I wish I could get this dagnappid thing to work and I understand that you prolly get a million messages with weird issues. I have a bunch of friends and we all just got macs and lcd projectors just for this reason. Any help at this point would be the greatest.

Thanx,
Tek

Bad news This does not seem to work with the blue & white G3's due to a different firewire chipset. Read further back in this thread for more info.

rcliff
post #563 of 2181 Old 05-16-2004, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This I have NOT done yet. My current pref says '-1 Audio Device.' Should it be another value?

Mine is set for "1" not "-1" and it works.

rcliff
post #564 of 2181 Old 05-16-2004, 08:52 PM

Quote:

Bad news This does not seem to work with the blue & white G3's due to a different firewire chipset. Read further back in this thread for more info.

Not sure if anyone's tried this, but what about using a $16 OHCI pci firewire card on that machine?

- litz
post #565 of 2181 Old 05-17-2004, 05:06 PM

Ok,

I still cannot capture without freezing.

Using the new scripts, followed all the instructions.

1/2 the time it works.

1/2 the time the machine freezes midcapture and the only solution is to pull the power plug.

It ran flawlessly sat, sun, and this morning.

Tonite, bam. Frozen. I get no ping from it, can't ssh, can't VNC. Same exact thing that happened before.

What is going on? Obviously others are NOT having this problem and I know there have been at least a few others here using Beige G3's w/panther and THEY aren't having this problem.

I really need a solution - I'm out of town and my ENTIRE week of capping just went up in smoke.

:-(

- litz
post #566 of 2181 Old 05-17-2004, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

...some further progress with the roku and m2t files. I now have the streaming from VLC working from the Mac to the roku. PQ is perfect (NOTE: VirtualDVHS chokes on this stream via firewire output) but there's no DD 5.1 with MpegPSPlay 0.7, 0.8 or 0.9. Dozens, do you the roku working with DD 5.1?

rcliff
post #567 of 2181 Old 05-17-2004, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

My receiver has no more optical inputs so the roku is relegated to rca connectors.

post #568 of 2181 Old 05-17-2004, 09:37 PM

Quote:

Mine is set for "1" not "-1" and it works.

Cliff, you da man -- setting it to "1" works.

Thanks!

I am now so addicted to recording HD I'm going to sell my Apple 20" LCD and get the Apple 23" CinemaHD for the full 1080i resolution.
post #569 of 2181 Old 05-18-2004, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by dozens
My receiver has no more optical inputs so the roku is relegated to rca connectors.

There's no optical out on the roku only coax s/pdif. If you have an extra coax digital in, that would work as well as the optical input.

rcliff
post #570 of 2181 Old 05-18-2004, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Cliff, you da man -- setting it to "1" works.

Cool! Hopefully, others who have the same problem read this.

rcliff
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page