How-To: MacOS X Firewire HDTV recording - Page 43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1261 of 2181 Old 03-02-2006, 07:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Moto 6412 III Comcast Chicago Nth Suburbs works like a charm - follow the links and use AVCVideoCap. Works like a charm - BUT, sometimes have to reset Moto, software quirk loses fast forward and sometimes scrambles code. Just pull the power cord and away you go. Add to this an EyeTV capture box and you would really rock. (I keep waiting for Apple version.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 2181 Old 03-07-2006, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoltz View Post

... Works like a charm - BUT, sometimes have to reset Moto, software quirk loses fast forward and sometimes scrambles code. Just pull the power cord and away you go.

This always happens to me, although I am admittedly new to the process and have attempted only three recordings.

While my recordings from the Motorola 6412 Phase III are successful (manual recording using AVCbrowser 1.2 and Virtual DHVS 2.0, both from Firewire SDK21)*, I am ALWAYS forced to pull the plug on the 6412 to reset it due to the conditions you describe above.

This is highly annoying, as the 6412 loses all its programming information and takes more than two days to repopulate. (And it only goes out a maximum of four days in advance, which is a different annoyance that appears to be specific to my cable company. But it still takes two days to repopulate the four days ahead programming info).

If anyone has any advice on how to stop recording to the Mac and disconnect properly so that a complete reset of the 6412 is not required, I would be quite grateful for the tip.

*I see that instructions for recording have changed since the first page of this discussion thread . I have yet to try AVCVideoCap.
post #1263 of 2181 Old 03-07-2006, 01:33 PM

I used AVCbrowser with my type II box (bothSDK 18 & 20) and it worked like a charm - now it doesn't (no matter what SDK). AVCVideoCap is a good program, but has limited use. You can only run one event at a time - can't link to iCal. I love it when I am copying OFF my DVR - then, you have exact timing from the 6412 and use AVCVideoCap for stop timing. Hope someone has a solution for us.
post #1264 of 2181 Old 03-09-2006, 05:03 PM

Hi Brent thanks to your instructions I was able to get a TV show recorded on my PVR cablebox and make a DVD I have not yet tried with a HD program but I will soon. The show I did get onto DVD was originally a digital signal and looks as good as it can on my TV but once I got it onto a DVD and played it I realized the picture quality was not very good at all. Have you found a way to make a DVD without sacrificing picture quality? I'm using AVC video cap to get the show off the cablebox via firewire and VLC to transcode it. Then I import it into imovie cut the commercials and export that to idvd add a title and burn a disc. So what can I do? Do I need a different program or is it not possible to get a better picture?

Thanks for any help
post #1265 of 2181 Old 03-09-2006, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARVELDC View Post

Hi Brent thanks to your instructions I was able to get a TV show recorded on my PVR cablebox and make a DVD I have not yet tried with a HD program but I will soon. The show I did get onto DVD was originally a digital signal and looks as good as it can on my TV but once I got it onto a DVD and played it I realized the picture quality was not very good at all. Have you found a way to make a DVD without sacrificing picture quality? I'm using AVC video cap to get the show off the cablebox via firewire and VLC to transcode it. Then I import it into imovie cut the commercials and export that to idvd add a title and burn a disc. So what can I do? Do I need a different program or is it not possible to get a better picture?

All I can think of is checking the VLC MPEG-4 transcoding settings. I had success at 1024. I found the DVD's picture quality to be nearly identical to the SD broadcast; that makes me think that your file may be too compressed.

"Sweet Cracker Sandwich!"--Satchel Pooch
post #1266 of 2181 Old 03-11-2006, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentHD View Post

All I can think of is checking the VLC MPEG-4 transcoding settings. I had success at 1024. I found the DVD's picture quality to be nearly identical to the SD broadcast; that makes me think that your file may be too compressed.

Hi Brent I have been trying to get a HD show transcoded but it fails every time have you been able to do it? I have not changed the settings in VLC (only used the ones you suggested so far). What do the settings mean anyway? Is it the speed that it transcodes? Or compression? The higher the number the more compressed/faster speed? Also is VLC the only way to do this that you know of? Maybe a different program would work better.

Thanks for any help
post #1267 of 2181 Old 03-11-2006, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoltz View Post

I used AVCbrowser with my type II box (bothSDK 18 & 20) and it worked like a charm - now it doesn't (no matter what SDK). AVCVideoCap is a good program, but has limited use. You can only run one event at a time - can't link to iCal. I love it when I am copying OFF my DVR - then, you have exact timing from the 6412 and use AVCVideoCap for stop timing. Hope someone has a solution for us.

have you tried the new iRecord?

Tyler Pruitt - Technical Liaison at SpectraCal
post #1268 of 2181 Old 03-11-2006, 09:01 PM

BrentHD
Thank you for your easy to read directions on DVR to DVD capture.
Unfortunately, I am having a slight problem: no audio.
I can sucessfully capture video from my Moto 6412 using your instructions with AVCVideoCap on my PowerMac G5, but when I save it out with VLC's streaming wizard I get no audio when viewed in iMovie HD. The funny thing is that viewing the captured video in VLC has no audio either. Until I select audio channel 2 (default is none) then the audio is there. If, however, I use streaming wizard after this I still get no audio in iMovie.
Any ideas?

BTW, iRecord doesn't seem to work at all.
post #1269 of 2181 Old 03-14-2006, 07:44 PM

Hello all,
I am having trouble recording hdtv content from my motorola 6412 to my mac (powerbook 667 10.4.5 with firewire directly connected to computer). I am able to record via AVCVideoCap (SDK21) the appropriately sized file (i.e. about 130mb/minute recorded), but am unable to open via MPEG Streamclip or VLC (MPEG Streamclip gives an "unsupported file type" error). However, I am able to record SD content easily (about 23mb/minute recorded) and can view and transcode successfully with either MPEG Streamclip or VLC. Thinking it was my 667mhz powerbook, I tried with my 1.5ghz powerbook with the same (unsuccessful) results. I was able to successfully record hd content before switching out the powerbook's hard drive (too small for recording hd). It's not the hard drive's rpm as the one that actually worked (only 30gb) was only 4200rpm. I have never been able to get hd recording to work via a daisy chained system/external firewire drive. Any ideas?
Thanks for your replies,
Brian
[Edit]: HD recordings were via PBS and local HD streams to eliminate 5C as an issue (in response to post below)
[Edit 2]: I found a solution that I can't explain. I put my old hard drive (30gb 2.5" 4200rpm) into an enclosure and daisy chained it with the moto box. I can now record hd content to the external firewire drive but not the internal hard drive. Surely it doesn't matter what the pins are set to on the hard drive??
post #1270 of 2181 Old 03-14-2006, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

what channel? is 5c enabled in your area?

post #1271 of 2181 Old 03-15-2006, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxo View Post

BTW, iRecord doesn't seem to work at all.

Delete all the recording devices in iRecord preferences and try rebooting the Mac and cycling the power on the STB with the firewire cable disconnected. Then plug in the firewire cable and see if iRecord sees the STB as a device in preferences. Even if there is no device listed in preferences, you can try to schedule a recording anyway and see if there's a device in the scheduler window. (I had to do this with the Intel iRecord beta.)

Also, make sure AVCBrowser is not running--even in background (if AVCBrowser is in the dock--no black triangle is showing.)
post #1272 of 2181 Old 03-15-2006, 12:39 PM

Hey guys,

I picked up an SA3250 with Firewire, which they finally provided about an hour after I requested it from TimeWarner Austin yesterday.

I simply want to record SA & HD programming, convert to a burnable format and burn to DVD.

I successfully recorded HD content & burned a DVD, but cannot record any SD channels.

I read through alot of the forums and think that TimeWarner is only allow HD content to be passed thru the firewire port and not SD.

Any ideas out there?

I hope this question has not already been addressed, but I'm stumped here.

The channel for the SA3250 is 0.
post #1273 of 2181 Old 03-16-2006, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calinb View Post

Delete all the recording devices in iRecord preferences and try rebooting the Mac and cycling the power on the STB with the firewire cable disconnected. Then plug in the firewire cable and see if iRecord sees the STB as a device in preferences. Even if there is no device listed in preferences, you can try to schedule a recording anyway and see if there's a device in the scheduler window. (I had to do this with the Intel iRecord beta.)

Also, make sure AVCBrowser is not running--even in background (if AVCBrowser is in the dock--no black triangle is showing.)

I'll try that calinb and get back to you.
Thanx
post #1274 of 2181 Old 03-17-2006, 04:33 PM

hi all,

just a quick fyi, i was able to connect to my moto 6412 using sdk 21 from a dell inspiron 6000 hackintosh and to successfully capture and playback HD using VLC (universal build).

was also able to connect to my sony hdr-hc1 and to capture and playback HDV content using VLC.

was also able to connect to my sharp lc-45gx6u and playback via iLink with no problem.

cheers.

Rob
post #1275 of 2181 Old 03-18-2006, 12:53 PM

I have a motorola dual tuner 6412 and when I try to record, my m2t files are created. When I click stop... And check the file. The file size is Zero KB. And they will not play in VLC. I have tried recording on channel 0,1, and 65.

Any suggestions? I have not a clue.

Two fish swim into a concrete wall. The one turns to the other and says, "Dam!"
post #1276 of 2181 Old 03-21-2006, 02:00 PM

Is anyone aware of software that allows you to watch programming over firewire (for example, from a Motorola 6412)?

I'm able to get Patrick Edson's VLC module (http://home.comcast.net/~macpvr/) working sometimes, but its buggy, picky and requires an earlier version of VLC. Is there a similar solution that is more stable and perhaps supports channel changing?

Thanks.

Rob
post #1277 of 2181 Old 03-21-2006, 02:09 PM

Not that I know of. A few people have asked questions about the source for that module, but I don't think anyone has posted any changes/fixes they may have made.

I was hoping some interested party would have the time I didn't to keep going on it, but so far no one has that I have seen.
post #1278 of 2181 Old 03-21-2006, 02:24 PM

Now that I think about it, there is another round-about way that I explored about 6 months ago. MythTV (http://www.mythtv.org/) supports connectivity over firewire to cable boxes including the 6412, and while the MythTV backend (which supports fw) does not support OS X, the front-end does. So one needs a linux box running the MythTV backend, and then you can stream video to your Mac MythTV front-ends over the network, even changing channels from the front-ends.

I got all of this working in a basic way with an earlier version of MythTV, but it was pretty flaky. They just released a new version, so maybe I'll give it another try.

Rob
post #1279 of 2181 Old 03-22-2006, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I'm wondering if others have tried to archive off S-VHS content via their D-VHS with virtual D-VHS?

Does it work? I have some stashed JVC "S-VHS on VHS" mode tapes that I want to convert over to something else when Blu-ray is an option. I'm wondering if the Canopus (Analog->Dig) converter is still a better solution? That would be S-video/stereo content -> .dv -> H.264/Stereo versus S-VHS -> .mts. Obviously .dv is easier to edit, but is the quality going to be better via 1394 from the JVC D-VHS?
post #1280 of 2181 Old 03-22-2006, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph S View Post

I'm wondering if others have tried to archive off S-VHS content via their D-VHS with virtual D-VHS?

Does it work? I have some stashed JVC "S-VHS on VHS" mode tapes that I want to convert over to something else when Blu-ray is an option. I'm wondering if the Canopus (Analog->Dig) converter is still a better solution? That would be S-video/stereo content -> .dv -> H.264/Stereo versus S-VHS -> .mts. Obviously .dv is easier to edit, but is the quality going to be better via 1394 from the JVC D-VHS?

Digitizing your S-video tapes as .dv retains the all the quality in your tapes. Whether you store them on dv tape or on a hard drive until you are ready to decide your next step (Blue ray etc. etc.) you will not only be able to edit easily but any conversions and compressions will preserve most of the values in the S video. By compressing S video today into H.264, a distribution codec, you reduce your control over quality and options. The same for mts, also a compression codec. I have been asked to convert many S-video tapes in preparation for later editing and distribution and that is why I suggest the S video to .dv as a best path. So exercise that Canopus. You will not regret it.
post #1281 of 2181 Old 03-22-2006, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Thanks.
post #1282 of 2181 Old 03-22-2006, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robreuss View Post

Is anyone aware of software that allows you to watch programming over firewire (for example, from a Motorola 6412)?

I'm able to get Patrick Edson's VLC module (http://home.comcast.net/~macpvr/) working sometimes, but its buggy, picky and requires an earlier version of VLC. Is there a similar solution that is more stable and perhaps supports channel changing?

The processs of recording via firewire is, in my experience, fraught with peril. iRecord has potential but the underlying code (I'm guessing it's based on Apple's examples such as avcvideocap) has mysterious issues, or perhaps it's just my PVR, an SA 8300HD.

For example, avcvideocap has consistently rebooted my PVR for me after a couple of minutes, in fact it's messed it up so badly that even pulling the plug for 30 seconds doesn't reliably bring it back to life (or it confused TW's systems back it TW HQ, or whatever)... maybe it's buggy code in the 8300, since Time Warner doesn't officially support the 1394 ports, maybe TW is sending the Packet of Death to thwart my efforts, who knows?

Oh, and I have a new Intel Mac, too, maybe that's throwing something into the mix.

I know some people on here are getting it to work, and I have hope that someday it'll work for me, and of course YMMV... We're talking major, major flakey here.

Try the newest iRecord, there's a link to it on the page you got the VLC module from; it does support changing channels on a couple devices, the 8300 among them.

Good Luck,

Dave
post #1283 of 2181 Old 03-23-2006, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfactor View Post

Digitizing your S-video tapes as .dv retains the all the quality in your tapes. Whether you store them on dv tape or on a hard drive until you are ready to decide your next step (Blue ray etc. etc.) you will not only be able to edit easily but any conversions and compressions will preserve most of the values in the S video. By compressing S video today into H.264, a distribution codec, you reduce your control over quality and options. The same for mts, also a compression codec. I have been asked to convert many S-video tapes in preparation for later editing and distribution and that is why I suggest the S video to .dv as a best path. So exercise that Canopus. You will not regret it.

I'm not posting this to be in anyway argumentative, just to ask your opinion and the opinions on the other smart people around these parts. There are two nice things about the DVHS-VDVHS method: (1) you end up with a MPEG-TS that I would think would be more compatible with the MPEG on Blu-Ray, not requiring further transcoding, (2) coming from the DVHS's firewire, the conversion to digital is being done internally, thus eliminating quality losses associated with cabling and such, and (3) I dunno about anybody else, but my 5U has the most gorgeous SVHS picture I've ever seen, and I'd be surprised if you can match it with any other deck's S-video output.

IIRC, the DV will have a somewhat higher bitrate than the DVHS's internally generated TS file, which is a good thing for picture quality. But for the purpose at hand, is there not something to be said for both methods?

I heartily agree that the quality loss from both mts and H.264 would make this whole discussion moot, and should not even be considered.

Perhaps a short A/B test of both methods is in order? Sadly, I have no Canopus.
post #1284 of 2181 Old 03-24-2006, 12:54 AM

I have several files recorded in my Moto 6412 DVR which I would like to get to my Mac (my CableCard is messed up lately and has switched HBO for NBC on channel 703 so I record Earl on the 6412 DVR).

I have tried using AVCVideoCap to record the saved programs after I play them on the DVR, but that results in a file that nothing can read.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

David.
post #1285 of 2181 Old 03-24-2006, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddenboer View Post

I have tried using AVCVideoCap to record the saved programs after I play them on the DVR, but that results in a file that nothing can read.

Read posts 1162, 1175, 1180, and 1193. You need more than just AVCVideoCap to replay - either VLC or MPEG Streamclip. Using the latter (and maybe the former, but I'm not as familiar with it) you can convert the captured .ts file to a file recognizable by Quicktime.
post #1286 of 2181 Old 03-24-2006, 02:58 PM

Sorry to ask this but I am a noob to Mac! I have read the posts but it seems that most of this is written for users that are familiar with the MacI have always been a PC person and I am trying to pass on to the other side. I can capture fine with my M$ PC from my Mits 2000U and SA3250 but I understand from my reading that the Mac is better (I have known that it is better from an engineering and video standpoint for years) so finally am giving it a try.

I am fluent in PC but I just got an iMac G3 with 10.3. I downloaded SDK21 and installed iteven though it said that I should have the developer tools installed first!? I thought the SDK was the developer tools. I did not install the Xcode tools firstshould I have?

If I try to run AVCVideoCap, it looks like it opens then it hits the bar and goes away.

Please help the lame!
post #1287 of 2181 Old 03-24-2006, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

since you never installed the Dev tools, you need to install the extra package for 10.3.9 that comes with the SDK

also make sure you updated to 10.3.9

post #1288 of 2181 Old 03-24-2006, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddenboer View Post

I have several files recorded in my Moto 6412 DVR which I would like to get to my Mac (my CableCard is messed up lately and has switched HBO for NBC on channel 703 so I record Earl on the 6412 DVR).

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

David.

If you have a DV videocam use it to digitize the S video output from your STB and capture the video in QT, iMovie, or FCP. The you can turn the resulting DV file into a very nice DVD.
It is likely that the material on your DVR's drive is encrypted.
post #1289 of 2181 Old 03-24-2006, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

[/quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitsuHelp View Post

I am fluent in PC but I just got an iMac G3 with 10.3.

Note the previous comments but don't expect much from an iMac G3 all-in-one these days. You might get fairly decent DVD playback but definitely no more.

rcliff
post #1290 of 2181 Old 03-25-2006, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post

since you never installed the Dev tools, you need to install the extra package for 10.3.9 that comes with the SDK

also make sure you updated to 10.3.9

Thanks for the help but I have no clue what "install the extra package" means...is there a name for the extra pacakage?

Steps on how to install the SDK after a fresh OS install?
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page