post #181 of 2181 Old 04-09-2004, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by dlan
Did you try using it with your mac or PC?

Not yet. Techs are gone but they did leave the box this time as it is working for component out. I can now do some troubleshooting with this and my existing Sony box. There's got to be an answer. I'll test recording with Virtual DVHS as a start.

rcliff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2181 Old 04-09-2004, 05:04 PM

Quote:

rcliff,
I have the cablevision box and XP did detect it as a AV/C Panel. I just got a G3 400 B&W yesterday (Because of this tread) and I tried to used Virtual DVHS but every time I launch Virtual DVHS (both your version and the SDK version) my G3 crashes.

I am rebuilding panther right now.

I really hope we can control the SA box from the Virtual DVHS>

Okay I really need some help now... I did a clean install of Panther then System Update.

I downloaded the customized version of Virtual DVHS, created a new folder on my second internal drive, drag the folder and drop it on Virtual DVHS and the system crashed. (Same problem as before the rebuild)

I then download the SDK and tried that version and I get the same problem.

I am new to mac so I don't have a clue about where to start trouble shooting this issue.
post #183 of 2181 Old 04-09-2004, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Okay I really need some help now... I did a clean install of Panther then System Update.

I downloaded the customized version of Virtual DVHS, created a new folder on my second internal drive, drag the folder and drop it on Virtual DVHS and the system crashed. (Same problem as before the rebuild)

I am new to mac so I don't have a clue about where to start trouble shooting this issue.

From Mac Help:

My Mac runs slowly or I can't open a file or application

Occasionally the user permissions associated with files or applications become damaged, which can prevent a file or application from opening. This problem can also cause the computer to run very slowly. If you have either of these problems, you may be able to fix them by using Disk Utility to repair permissions on the startup disk.

You can only verify or repair disk permissions on the startup disk.

To repair permissions on the startup disk:

Repairing permissions is also a good maintenance task after updating the system or installing new software.[list=1][*]Open Disk Utility, located in Applications/Utilities, and select the startup disk in the left column.[*]Click First Aid.[*]Click Verify Disk Permissions to test permissions or Repair Disk Permissions to test and repair permissions.[/list=1]

Alternatively, you can try the Apple Hardware Test CD that may have been provided with your Mac or you can call the nearest Apple Store about getting one or bringing the Mac in, which might not be a bad idea since you bought it used.

Regards,
Joe

Going "over the top" with OTA, Netflix, Drobo FS and Apple TV!
post #184 of 2181 Old 04-09-2004, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by rcliff
I have 3 cable techs here again and the SA 4200HD is finally working but no output over firewire. The Mits TV recognizes the STB as a new 1394 device but no picture. Anyone have any ideas why it doesn't work or experience with SA boxes over firewire?

Sounds exactly like my experience with the 3250.

And so far, I have not been able to get the Mac to record from the 3250, except when I have the D-VHS between the Mac and the 3250 (see my post on the top of page 6)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0&pagenumber=6

I'm sorta flip-flopping back and forth on theories...

(1) The Mitsubishi is not compatible with the box, something I hope Mits will fix, since the 3250 does work with D-VHS.

(2) The transport stream has errant data in it from the 3250. Sometimes, the JVC 30K gives a copy protection error, and downsamples to 480i on the recording and component outs. Turning the JVC and 3250 off, then back on, "fixes" this.

I don't know which it is, but I would suspect 4200 has the same issue.

If you get the Mits to display HD content over firewire from the 4200, PLEASE post what you did!!

-Pie

"The Brothers, they think I don't know a buttload of crap about the Gospel..." -Nacho
Story Bytes - Very Short Stories
http://www.storybytes.com
post #185 of 2181 Old 04-09-2004, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by dr1394
Can you compile C source code? If you can, I have a TS demuxer for you.

Will it convert Transport Stream to Program Stream (with audio and video both left intact) and then back again?

I compiled GOPchop 1.0.0, but it requires a program stream file.

-Pie

"The Brothers, they think I don't know a buttload of crap about the Gospel..." -Nacho
Story Bytes - Very Short Stories
http://www.storybytes.com
post #186 of 2181 Old 04-09-2004, 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jsb_hburg
From Mac Help:

My Mac runs slowly or I can't open a file or application

Occasionally the user permissions associated with files or applications become damaged, which can prevent a file or application from opening. This problem can also cause the computer to run very slowly. If you have either of these problems, you may be able to fix them by using Disk Utility to repair permissions on the startup disk.

You can only verify or repair disk permissions on the startup disk.

To repair permissions on the startup disk:

Repairing permissions is also a good maintenance task after updating the system or installing new software.[list=1][*]Open Disk Utility, located in Applications/Utilities, and select the startup disk in the left column.[*]Click First Aid.[*]Click Verify Disk Permissions to test permissions or Repair Disk Permissions to test and repair permissions.[/list=1]

Alternatively, you can try the Apple Hardware Test CD that may have been provided with your Mac or you can call the nearest Apple Store about getting one or bringing the Mac in, which might not be a bad idea since you bought it used.

Thanks... tried this but still no luck... my first adventure into Mac is not starting out well.
post #187 of 2181 Old 04-09-2004, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

For whatever it's worth I have a firewire equipped SA3250HD cable box, hooked to a JVC 40k D-VHS VCR. The 40k claims all the channels are copy protected. It won't record a thing. I hooked up a JVC 30k and it would record and playback the same channels. When I took the JVC 30k recording and put it in the JVC 40k, it exhibits the same problem, the 40k thinks the data on the tape is copy protected and it won't play it back. Does anyone have any idea why the 30k would think the channels are NOT copy protected, but the 40k thinks that they are? The 40k can record fine from OTA HDTV via my TV's HDTV tuner.
post #188 of 2181 Old 04-09-2004, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by EatingPie

If you get the Mits to display HD content over firewire from the 4200, PLEASE post what you did!!

-Pie

Pie, have you not been able to get any output via firewire to your Mits? What model Mits are you using?

rcliff
post #189 of 2181 Old 04-09-2004, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks... tried this but still no luck... my first adventure into Mac is not starting out well.

It is a used Mac. I do recommend getting it looked over at the nearest Apple Store. They can test your hardware for any issues. These things can happen.

Regards,
Joe

post #190 of 2181 Old 04-09-2004, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How are you using this Roku for playback to your TV? After reading the specs I don't see any mention of firewire input.

I use vlc to stream the m2t file over http. On the roku I use MpegPSPlay (freeware) that listens for the http stream from vlc and plays the file on the roku and it goes out over component to my projector.

There is no firewire port on the roku or a hard disk.

post #191 of 2181 Old 04-09-2004, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

dlan,

How much memory do you have installed on the G3 B&W/400? Click on About this Mac under the blue apple, upper left, to get the info.

Regards,
Joe

post #192 of 2181 Old 04-09-2004, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

dlan, can you detail your exact configuration including all specs on the mac and any connected peripherals. I don't know that this will solve your problem but an exact snapshot of your setup might help isolate the problem.

rcliff
post #193 of 2181 Old 04-09-2004, 08:43 PM

Quote:

Are you sure you have Panther (10.3)? That is exactly what happens if you try to run VirtualDVHS on Jaguar (10.2) without the firewire pre-release components installed...

Just a thought,
Zach
post #194 of 2181 Old 04-09-2004, 08:50 PM

Quote:

dlan, can you detail your exact configuration including all specs on the mac and any connected peripherals. I don't know that this will solve your problem but an exact snapshot of your setup might help isolate the problem.

400 MHz PROCESSOR
512 MB RAM (2x128 and 1x256 I also tried using only 1 chip at a time)
2 9.1 GB SEAGATE SCSI DRIVE
ATI RAGE128 VIDEO CARD (16 MB)
post #195 of 2181 Old 04-09-2004, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by zmatzkin
Are you sure you have Panther (10.3)? That is exactly what happens if you try to run VirtualDVHS on Jaguar (10.2) without the firewire pre-release components installed...

Just a thought,
Zach

Click on About this Mac under the blue apple, upper left, to get the OS version info.

Regards,
Joe

post #196 of 2181 Old 04-09-2004, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jsb_hburg
Click on About this Mac under the blue apple, upper left, to get the OS version info.

As Joe indicated this will confirm your version of OS X. If you're running Panther with updates you should be at 10.3.3 now. I have confirmed that Virtual D-VHS runs fine after a clean install of 10.3 without any updates on the hardware I have used.

rcliff
post #197 of 2181 Old 04-09-2004, 09:04 PM

Quote:

As Joe indicated this will confirm your version of OS X. If you're running Panther with updates you should be at 10.3.3 now. I have confirmed that Virtual D-VHS runs fine after a clean install of 10.3 without any updates on the hardware I have used.

Hardware Overview:
Machine Model: Power Macintosh G3 Series
CPU Type: PowerPC 750 (82.1)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 400 MHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB
Memory: 256 MB
Bus Speed: 100 MHz
Boot ROM Version: f4

System Software Overview:
System Version: Mac OS X 10.3.3 (7F44)
Kernel Version: Darwin 7.3.0
post #198 of 2181 Old 04-09-2004, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Here's the source and a Windows executable for the Transport Stream demuxer.
Command line only. Sorry, it doesn't remux into Program Stream. It does do
continuity counter checking for finding bitstream errors, PID dumping and
shows the Transport Stream bitrate along with demuxing a specific program
and specific video and audio streams from that program.

Here's the usage:

xport

Example:

xport \\mpeg\\test.m2t 1 1 1
program = 1, video channel = 1, audio channel = 1
Program Number = 0 (0x0000), Program Map PID = 31 (0x001f)
Program Number = 1 (0x0001), Program Map PID = 48 (0x0030)
ts rate = 25051200

number of packets for pid 0x0000 = 53
number of packets for pid 0x001f = 1
number of packets for pid 0x0030 = 54
number of packets for pid 0x0031 = 41881
number of packets for pid 0x0033 = 707
number of packets for pid 0x0034 = 1055
number of packets for pid 0x1fff = 870

The demuxed files are always called bits0001.mpv and bits0001.mpa. The .mpa
file can contain AC3.

Ron

demux.zip 44.41796875k . file

HD MPEG-2 Test Patterns http://www.w6rz.net
post #199 of 2181 Old 04-09-2004, 09:10 PM

It looks like my problem might be firewire related... it also crashes if i run DVHSCap and FWBusyBus 1.0 reports "No 1394 OHCI FireWire interfaces were found."

This system has 2 built in FireWire ports.
post #200 of 2181 Old 04-09-2004, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hardware Overview:
Machine Model: Power Macintosh G3 Series
CPU Type: PowerPC 750 (82.1)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 400 MHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB
Memory: 256 MB
Bus Speed: 100 MHz
Boot ROM Version: f4

System Software Overview:
System Version: Mac OS X 10.3.3 (7F44)
Kernel Version: Darwin 7.3.0

dlan, please excuse the request for all of this but quite often this points to a simple solution that may have been overlooked. I don't see a glaring problem with your config and it should work as far as I can tell yet I don't know of anyone else that has done this specifically with a B&W G3. I may be able to get a hold of a B&W G3 to test on Monday.

rcliff
post #201 of 2181 Old 04-09-2004, 09:23 PM

Quote:

dlan, please excuse the request for all of this but quite often this points to a simple solution that may have been overlooked. I don't see a glaring problem with your config and it should work as far as I can tell yet I don't know of anyone else that has done this specifically with a B&W G3. I may be able to get a hold of a B&W G3 to test on Monday.

Thanks.
post #202 of 2181 Old 04-09-2004, 09:59 PM

Quote:

I just got a G3 400 B&W yesterday (Because of this tread) and I tried to used Virtual DVHS but every time I launch Virtual DVHS (both your version and the SDK version) my G3 crashes.

I'm pretty sure I know what is going on here. It was recently reported to Apple's FireWire developer mailing list that using VirtualDVHS on a system with the older PCI-Lynx type FireWire link chip causes the system to kernel-panic. The G3 B&W system uses PCI-Lynx instead of the more modern OHCI that is in all recent systems.

This is due to how the FireWireMPEG.framework initializes the DCL program in the MPEG2Receiver object.

For now, I'd suggest that you install a OHCI FireWire card into one of the PCI slots in the system, and connect your STB or HDTV to that card instead.

VirtualDVHS will always detect and use a FireWire card in a PCI slot, instead of the built-in FireWire.

Additionally, I'll look to see if I can suggest a simple code change to the MPEG2Receiver.cpp that could work-around this known bug (now that root cause has been established).

This problem should be addressed in a future OS update.
post #203 of 2181 Old 04-09-2004, 10:02 PM

One more thought, it may be that using Jaguar, with the pre-release FireWire components in SDK18 instead of using Panther will eliminate this problem as well.

However, I'd still suggest using Panther with an PCI OHCI card instead, because of the better performance of Panther.
post #204 of 2181 Old 04-10-2004, 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by FriarWyer
One more thought, it may be that using Jaguar, with the pre-release FireWire components in SDK18 instead of using Panther will eliminate this problem as well.

However, I'd still suggest using Panther with an PCI OHCI card instead, because of the better performance of Panther.

I got the same results using the PCI OHCI card from my PC.

I also removed the built in firewire card.
post #205 of 2181 Old 04-10-2004, 06:27 AM

Comcast just switched out my SA3250HD and now my G5 see's it over the Firewire! Question though. How do I play the .M2T file in VLC? Thanks in advance

=============== Sent AVC Command ===============
cType: Status
subUnit: 0xFF
opCode: Output Plug Signal Format (0x18)
FCP Command Frame:
01 FF 18 00 FF FF FF FF

=============== Received AVC Response ===============
response: Not Implemented
FCP Response Frame:
08 FF 18 00 FF FF FF FF

Compare-swap to output plug 0 successful. OldVal=0x80000092 NewVal=0x81008092

Screenshot here (Mac's take PDF): OSX Desktop

Dave Cook
post #206 of 2181 Old 04-10-2004, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Cooknn
Comcast just switched out my SA3250HD and now my G5 see's it over the Firewire! Question though. How do I play the .M2T file in VLC? Thanks in advance

=============== Sent AVC Command ===============
cType: Status
FCP Command Frame:
01 FF 18 00 FF FF FF FF

=============== Received AVC Response ===============
response: Not Implemented
FCP Response Frame:
08 FF 18 00 FF FF FF FF

Compare-swap to output plug 0 successful. OldVal=0x80000092 NewVal=0x81008092

Screenshot here (Mac's take PDF): OSX Desktop

Did you set up the transport stream library by dropping a folder on the VirtualDVHS icon?? Do you have a .m2t file to play???? If so, load VLC player for Mac OS X from http://www.videolan.org Then, control button-click on the .m2t file and "open with" VLC. Please let us know. Seeing the Not Implemented is troublesome as it should read Implemented/Stable after clicking on Output Plug Signal Format button.

Edited to add: SA 3250 users may need to reboot the 3250 while connected to the Mac to establish the Firewire connection.

Regards,
Joe

post #207 of 2181 Old 04-10-2004, 06:45 AM

I did do the drag and drop from my HDTV folder to Virtual DVHS. OSX won't let me choose VLC with Open With for the .M2T file.

Dave Cook
post #208 of 2181 Old 04-10-2004, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Cooknn
I did do the drag and drop from my HDTV folder to Virtual DVHS. OSX won't let me choose VLC with Open With for the .M2T file.

Select "other" and navigate to and select VLC. You may have to toggle the Enable dropdown from Recommended Applications to All Applications in the Choose Application window.

Regards,
Joe

post #209 of 2181 Old 04-10-2004, 06:52 AM

Got it.

Dave Cook
post #210 of 2181 Old 04-10-2004, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

The other way is to launch VLC. Under File, select Open File, click on the Browse button and then navigate to the file, click to highlight, click Open, then click OK and then when file starts mouse to Video and select Half Size.

If you get the file-application association set-up, be sure to mouse to Video and select Half Size. You can also try Fullscreen. Press the Esc button to get back to desktop and Half Size window.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,
Joe

Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page