Mac laptop display hookup 'survey'... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-15-2004, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I done a bit of research here and elsewhere and the info is sketchy as to the ideal hookup solution between a DVI-equipped Mac laptop (I have a 667 DVI Titatium) and an HD set. My thought was that, all-in-all (digital to analog conversion notwithstanding) using a DVI-to-component adapter would be most functional. The current sets and A/V switching receivers are more likely to have multiple component in's than DVI, and I'd like to have a cable always there and ready to be plugged in (rather than to dig behind the set, unplug and plug in or buy an expensive dedicated DVI switcher) when I want to split-screen and surf or watch content on the HDTV.

So, as I haven't seen any summary or much discussion to this effect: Any Mac laptop users out there plugging in to their HD sets and how would you recommend doing it, given what I suggest my wants of functionality are?

Champion of truth, beauty and misunderstood giant killer robots.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-15-2004, 10:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally posted by shanewalker
My thought was that, all-in-all (digital to analog conversion notwithstanding) using a DVI-to-component adapter would be most functional.
If you're thinking something like the ATI Component adapter it won't work. It doesn't actually convert DVI to component, it just tells the card to output Component.

To do what you describe, you'd need to get a DVI-VGA adapter and a transcoder like the Key Digital KD-VTCA3 or Audio Authority 9A60.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-15-2004, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the response. I have seen the double-stage answer before and am sure that's the route I'll need to go. I know from contacting ATI that their solution won't work for Macs, but wasn't aware of exactly what it did, so thanks there, too.

The DVI-to-VGA adapter is standard equipment in the Powerbook box, so I'm good there. The Transcoders I've seen listed on a few sites never state Mac compatibility. Is scaling software needed or will the video card detect compatible screen sizes/refresh rates?

post #4 of 7 Old 06-15-2004, 01:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 148
I really have no idea about a mac, but when connecting a PC to an HDTV 640x480 is about the only resolution that will work out of the box, for anything higher (like 1920x1080i) you need to get Powerstrip and create a custom resolution.

Just remember HDTVs aren't multisync like monitors, they generally only support 2 or 3 scan rates (generally 480i, 480p, and 1080i).

All in all, I'd guess you'll have better luck going DVI because then the set/PC can usually negotiate a resolution themselves (although it's not always the optimal one).

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-15-2004, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I have connected my Titanium Powerbook to a friends HDTV.

I used the standard DVI to VGA converter (supplied with powerbook) and ran that into the VGA in on HDTV.

The results were... well to be honest less than spectacular. Not helped by the fact that this was a digital HDTV set, and the picture when playing DVD's from a setup player (progressive scan - componant connections) was bad to start with, coupled with the awful DVD player apple bundles with OSX.

I love my macs... but to be honest they make poor HTPC's. Apple has a lot of catching up to do in this area. And pretty much the only alternative to apples DVD player is the free VNC player... which doesn't improve matter much.

- Rick (on his powerbook - wireless is wonderful)
post #6 of 7 Old 06-16-2004, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Krynos--
I'm with you on almost all your points...I'm hoping Apple gets with the HTPC bandwagon and perhaps even surprises us with some 'component/set-top'-styled hardware in the months to come (the new Airport Express signals that they may finally want to enter the living room.

I have to be honest, I really don't plan on playing much full screen (read movies) content, it's more of a split-screen surf/work and watch D*TV or a DVD on the other half of the screen sourced elsewhere. Would you say the resolution from the VGA in at half-screen was acceptable?

Then maybe later I move towards a PC or (if appropriate) Mac-based full-up HTPC...

post #7 of 7 Old 07-01-2004, 08:43 AM

My powerbook 12 inch (current model) drives the Pioneer 433 DVI perfectly using the adapter that came with it, with correct aspect ratio despite the non-square pixels of the 433. It also works correctly with the VGA output.

The only annoyance is that widescreen recorded off the TV to DVR plays at 4:3 with Apple's DVD player and there are no custom settings available. This is probably a deficiency of the Philips DVR75 recorder not recognising the aspect ratio signal from the satelite receiver (Sky+).

All this changed with OSX 10.3 (panther). If you tried with an older OS version, you may want to try again.

Power Mac G4 867 is also fine and passes through the multichannel sound correctly from DVD's (I have an M-Audio Revolution card in it - otherwise I'd need to have a G5 for digital out).

I'm in the UK, so some of the details won't be relevant elsewhere.

For the record, my Windows XP machine doesn't get the 433 aspect ratio right on DVI or VGA. I'd presumably need do something with Powerstrip, but I can't be bothered.
Closed Thread HTPC - Mac Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page