HD on Mac - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-04-2004, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking at tuning into HD on a Mac (One dual-2.5Ghz Powermac and one 1.3GHz 17" Powerbook).

My guess is that the easiest way to do this is to get a new cable box from Comcast, and use the Firewire out and some sort of software to view it on the mac. Is this how I should do it? I would like to be able to view the premium channels. Does Comcast offer firewire out? I am in Montgomery County, MD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-04-2004, 05:07 PM
tji
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
The ElGato EyeTV 500 is the only HDTV tuner that I know of specifically made for the Mac. The reports that I have seen on it look good.. I'm considering getting one for my Mac.

The software also seems interesting. If you have Toast Platinum, it can export HDTV programs to DVD's.

Elgato EyeTV 500

The only thing I noticed that was a concern is that the HDTV playback software can not use the MPEG2 hardware acceleration available in almost all Mac's. Apple has not opened the API for that hardware. So, I'm not sure how my 15" PowerBook 1.25GHz would handle HDTV playback. Obviously, your dual G5 would have plenty of horsepower for this.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-04-2004, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

It doesn't look like it would be able to record the premium channels. THat's why I'm hoping a simple firewire output from a cable box would do it, but I would need some sort of viewing software.. possibly iMovie?
post #4 of 6 Old 10-05-2004, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
It doesn't look like it would be able to record the premium channels. THat's why I'm hoping a simple firewire output from a cable box would do
Normally, you can only record those premium channels with a real DVHS as they are encrypted by your Cable company. Using Virtual DVHS (free) and other modified versions of it you will be able to record non-encrypted channels via firewire on the Mac or on a real DVHS.

eyeTV is great for free OTA reception with a stronger receiver than my MyHD and HiPix units, it also has an excellent editor to cut commercials. Exporting/Transcoding is not up to par yet though there are limitless options with it once the issues are corrected. Especially, once Mac OS 10.4 arrives with H.264 this Winter/Spring it may be a near perfect OTA soluton. Perfection would be to allow multiple units and/or multi-tuner units. :D
post #5 of 6 Old 10-05-2004, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

OK then would there be any consumer-level component inputs for macs? A quick google search shows no HD compatible Component video capture cards, even at the pro-level. Maybe I would have to go through a DVHS deck first? I would ultimately like to display it on my Apple monitor..
post #6 of 6 Old 10-05-2004, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

You could hook your mac up via Firewire and run the DVHS software. You should check out the monolithic thread on this topic (Firewire on the Mac)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...c+and+firewire

or

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...t=mac+firewire

-- Kevin Arnold
-- CouchPotato Software Engineer
-- High Tech Luddite searching for simpler times...
-- My job IS my hobbie :D

HT Equipment
My HomePage
Closed Thread HTPC - Mac Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page