MAC HDTV recording W/ DVI and USB connections - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-05-2004, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can you record via firewire on a G4 Powerbook Mac (I still need to get an HDTV antenna receiver with firewire) then output the video signal via DVI cable to the monitor with a usb/rca audio output (from the Mac to my receiver) and not have the computer bog down? I also have downloaded VirtualDVHS and vic-0.7.2 for recording and playback. I am waiting to buy the HDTV receiver with firewire untill I know it will work as my wife reminded me that I already have enough "TOYS" that go unused!
The equipment I now own is as follows:

Television - Sharp Television (LC-37HV6U)

VCR - Panasonic VCR (PV-S9670)

DVD - Denon DVD (DVD-2900)

Stereo Receiver - Yamaha Stereo Receiver (RX-V2400)

Satellite - Samsung Satellite (SIR-TS360)

PowerBook 1GHz W/768 SDRAM

250 gig external hardrive w/firewire

Conrad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-05-2004, 08:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Can you record via firewire on a G4 Powerbook Mac (I still need to get an HDTV antenna receiver with firewire) then output the video signal via DVI cable to the monitor with a usb/rca audio output (from the Mac to my receiver) and not have the computer bog down?
Yes, however, keep in mind that you can't record cable channels (5C protected) to a PC or Mac. You can only record the local networks.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-05-2004, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

At this time I am only using a terrestrial antenna so it seems that for me that I need to buy an antenna receiver with a firewire output so I can record programs like CSI and Raymond. Does anyone have any suggestions which units have the best tract record? I know that some Samsung models have a problem with overheating and getting stuck on channels that have poor reception.

Conrad
post #4 of 6 Old 10-05-2004, 10:31 AM

I have tried to playback VirtualDVHS recordings on my 1.5 Ghz Powerbook G4 with 512 Mb RAM on VLC and it definitely dropped frames. The playback was definitely not as good as the original. This was using a DVI to HDMI cable from the Powerbook to a 32" Panasonic LCD TV.

However with a box such as the Samsung T165, you can send the transport stream from the computer to the box over firewire and let the T165 do the decode. In that case, the recording looks exactly like the original and it doesn't take much processor power. I have a T165 and am pleased with it.

Alex
post #5 of 6 Old 10-05-2004, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Alex,
Thank you for your reply. Does this mean that even though my HDTV monitor doesn't have a firewire input you can use the firewire plug on the T165 like you can on a computer. So you can record to the Mac using firewire from the T165 and then watch what you recorded on the Sharp HDTV monitor using the T165 via the firewire from the Mac.

Conrad
post #6 of 6 Old 10-05-2004, 12:36 PM

That's right. The T165 gets the transport stream from the mac via firewire and then decodes it as though it were coming over the air and displays it on your TV. A few things to keep in mind: 1) you cannot record and watch at the same time (as far as I know) with only one box, 2) some of the cable set top boxes (the motorola 6200) will not playback (again, AFAIK) and 3) the playback controls are limited to play, stop and pause. There is a modified version of VirtualDVHS where the FF button goes forward 1% of the stream, which is pretty useful.

Check out: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=386740

I know it is long but it should have all of the information you need.
Closed Thread HTPC - Mac Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page