Mac mini... Anyone else thinking what I'm thinking? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-13-2005, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This morning, Apple has their Mac mini website up and going! Let me tell you, the first time I saw this I thought... HTPC!!

The Mac mini starts at $499, and would probably look great hooked up to a plasma monitor or projector.

Any ideas on software for configuring resolutions and playing back DVDs (upscaling them), along with other uses? Is there a Windows Media Center type software for Mac OS X?

--Chris ^_^

--Chris ^_^
Portland, Oregon, USA | OTA / Frontier FiOS | 52" Sharp AQUOS LC52LE700UN | PlayStation 3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-13-2005, 08:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=494500

Mark Lamutt
www.DBSTalk.Com - A Proud Member of the AVS Community
post #3 of 3 Old 01-13-2005, 11:36 AM

Hey all,

I have a Humax Series 2 dvd tivo and a 30inch LCD hd television with 1280x768 resolution. I want to get the Mac Mini to use as a HTPC. Currently I hook my Humax Tivo to my Syntax Olevia 30 tv via Component RGB. I have the Tivo sending a progressive signal out. I also have a Denon 1910 dvd player hooked up via DVI to the TV. The DVDs look freaking awesome, but the upscaling of video signal from the TV is pretty crappy sometimes. I have a Comcast HD box at the start of my setup. The tivo is hooked up up to the Comcast HD box via S-video.

What I would like to do is get a Mac Mini, then get a El Gato EyeTV 200 or something to have the tivo hook up to the Mac Mini. Then have the Mac Mini scale up that video signal to full screen in the included apps or any other aftermarket dScaler type app.

I guess my question is how well will the upscaling to the native 1280x768 resolution perform as in comparison to the video processors out there like the iScan HD for a grand or more in cost.

I would be hooking up the Mac Mini via VGA, but would possible go thru DVI if resolution compatibility was an issue and also... if the analog VGA signal, although real real clean, would be much worse than a DVI one.

Having an all in one solution, I could have a music jukebox, photo jukebox, web browser, chat, and any other computer related thing, plus television upscaling to my HD tv.... box in all.

The upscaling question and this is not really a Mac Mini only thing, but again, can I expect any good quality full screen viewing on my HD set when running the video from my tivo thru a converter to the mac, then to the flat panel.

Any help would be awesome, plus a whole system with El Gato EyeTV 200 thing for example would be about a grand..... a whole computer and video processor for the price of a iScan HD for a lot less...
Closed Thread HTPC - Mac Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page