Old 01-25-2005, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
From MacMinute:

Quote:
Apple has quietly cut prices on build-to-order (BTO) components for its new Mac mini. The company is now offering the Bluetooth and AirPort Extreme wireless option for US$99 (was $129), the 1GB DDR333 SDRAM upgrade for $325 (was $475), and the 80GB ultra ATA hard drive upgrade for $50 (was $80). Apple is also now listing an 8x SuperDrive option instead of the previous 4x model for the same $100 cost.
RAM is always cheaper elsewhere, but not bad overall just a few weeks post release.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2005, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi...

Does anyone know the name of this drive?
Maybe the Pioneer DVR K04 without DL support for Mac?

Hopefully they´ll fit the price in germany too, including the Euro/Dollar exhange rate.

Then it will be more acceptable than now.
Old 01-25-2005, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Joseph S
From MacMinute:
RAM is always cheaper elsewhere, but not bad overall just a few weeks post release.
I thought I had read that Apple would require "factory" installation of RAM or else you void the warranty.

YMMV

"Typos are very important to all written form. It gives the reader something to look for so they aren't distracted by the total lack of content in your writing."

- Randy K. Milholland
Old 01-25-2005, 02:38 PM

Having ordered one on 1/12, I was a bit peeved. I called Apple, however, and they are processing a credit for me for the difference. So... If you were an early adopter, call now and whine for $130.

Yeah, its only $130--the 1 GB upgrade was $400, not $475, and some of the other original list prices were slightly off. For a maxed out mini, the total delta is $130.
Old 01-25-2005, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
If you haven't received it they've probably already adjusted your order as this is what normally happens at least based on my experiences and other stories I've read.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I thought I had read that Apple would require "factory" installation of RAM or else you void the warranty.
MacCentral had an article where they were told by an Apple person that RAM could be customer installed without voiding the warranty (as long as you don't damage the machine in the process).

Kevin

-- Kevin Arnold
-- CouchPotato Software Engineer
-- High Tech Luddite searching for simpler times...
-- My job IS my hobbie :D

HT Equipment
My HomePage
Old 01-25-2005, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Adding memory to the Mm is child's play compared to maxing out the memory on a 333 MHz iMac (circa 1998). Getting to the factory slot was rough on that one.

Regards,
Joe

Going "over the top" with OTA, Netflix, Drobo FS and Apple TV!
Old 01-25-2005, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jsb_hburg
Adding memory to the Mm is child's play compared to maxing out the memory on a 333 MHz iMac (circa 1998). Getting to the factory slot was rough on that one.
Ahh, you obviously didn't have a 8500--had to be totally taken apart to add RAM. Actually had to take out all PCI cards, the processor card, and remove the motherboard to get to the stupid RAM slots. I got this process down to under 5 minutes at one point--the easy open 8600 was definitely a great advancement.

erik g
Old 01-26-2005, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gaderson
Ahh, you obviously didn't have a 8500--had to be totally taken apart to add RAM. Actually had to take out all PCI cards, the processor card, and remove the motherboard to get to the stupid RAM slots. I got this process down to under 5 minutes at one point--the easy open 8600 was definitely a great advancement.
Agreed -- I have a nice slice on my hand right now from working on the ol' 8500 last weekend. Much prefer working on the Mirror-Drive Door dual G4. :D