Mac as a DVD player - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-26-2005, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Alright finally we have a little place for us mac users to try and hash out how to get some HTPC functions working. I have a Powerbook G4 and I have been using DVD backup to copy some disks to the Hard Drive and try and build a Video library. So far player DVD movies is a bit of an issue. I have tried Apple DVD player, vlc, mplayer and nice player. None of them seem to do a very good job. I don't think there is much difference between them. They all seem to drop frames and also have some scanning issues. Has anyone had any luck or can suggest any tweaks to make this work better.

I also would love to see some type of program where you could see the info on a movie AKA delicious library or something similar) and then by clicking on an icon play the movie from your hard drive. Something like iFlicks that would work with TS_Video folder.

Mark-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-26-2005, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Strange that you should have any dropped frames when playing on a G4 Powerbook. Perhaps your disk is badly fragmented? How much memory do you have and what OS are you running?

-- Kevin Arnold
-- CouchPotato Software Engineer
-- High Tech Luddite searching for simpler times...
-- My job IS my hobbie :D

HT Equipment
My HomePage
post #3 of 10 Old 01-26-2005, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

I have no problem whatsoever playing standard DVDs using DVD Player, VLC, and mplayer. All work fine on my Powerbook G4, i.e. no dropped frames, for many years now.

I agree with Kevin, Strange!

Boat name: Summer Compromise; Power train: twin 490 HP (w ATI Prochargers); A/V: sufficient
post #4 of 10 Old 01-26-2005, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Maybe dropped frames is the wrong word, it seems to skip around or have slight pauses. I have 1 GB of RAM on a Powerbook 17" 1.5 Gig with 10.3.7 for the OS. I should know this but what is the best tool to defrag my HD?

Mark-
post #5 of 10 Old 01-26-2005, 09:42 AM

you can buy Norton Utilities for a defrag utility, but you might just want to run the Apple Disk Utility first, verify permissions and all that first. It might not help, but it's free...

I was wondering if you were using the stock powerbook hard drive for this, while it should be fast enough for that once hard drives fill up they tend not to be as fast
post #6 of 10 Old 01-26-2005, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

I'd stay away from any Norton Products on X, they haven't done much in the way of updating those and I know someone who is intimately familiar with the file system on X who won't run any Norton Disk applications on his machines.

How much free memory do you have on your system partition? If you are < 500 Megs you might be doing some serious VM swapping which will definitely cause this issue. Make sure you have enough memory available for the OS...

-- Kevin Arnold
-- CouchPotato Software Engineer
-- High Tech Luddite searching for simpler times...
-- My job IS my hobbie :D

HT Equipment
My HomePage
post #7 of 10 Old 01-26-2005, 10:41 AM

Could the problem you are having with playback on your PowerBook be Interlacing? I have found DVD playback on my PowerBook G4 867 to be of less than adequate quality because of atrocious interlacing artifacts. I notice it more during scenes of heavy action or fast camera moves. I have never had any issues with dropped frames.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-26-2005, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

In anticipation of buying the Mini I connected my Powerbook to a 30" LCD via HDMI. I already own a PC in the basement with TT, ffdshow, blah, blah... so PQ was a concern.

I am happy to report PQ was very good with no artifacts or dropped frames. Even more impressive, the PB recognized the native rez of the display without any tinkering.

Cheers,
post #9 of 10 Old 01-26-2005, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think it may be artifacts. IS there a way to check for dropped frames? I have plenty of ram. I did notice that i had like 5 apps open during my last test. So i played back without them open and it looked better.

Mark-
post #10 of 10 Old 01-27-2005, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

don't forget to shutdown classic if you were running an OS9 app previously.
certain cpu intensive programs take a huge hit when classic is running in the background.
Closed Thread HTPC - Mac Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page