Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-26-2005, 11:50 PM
gsc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Reader Comments #25 and #26 (http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000057028826#c110301) pretty much sum up my impression of that article....

-- a lot of good info, but the net result is overly complicated and ruins the simplicity-factor that made the mac mini so appealing in the first place. I hope a more complete HT mac mini will be released soon.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-27-2005, 04:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gsc
Reader Comments #25 and #26 (http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000057028826#c110301) pretty much sum up my impression of that article....

-- a lot of good info, but the net result is overly complicated and ruins the simplicity-factor that made the mac mini so appealing in the first place. I hope a more complete HT mac mini will be released soon.
The alternative is a tower limited to what you can stuff into it? There is nothing wrong with a multiple-bay Firewire hard-drive enclosure which can be hidden elsewhere or with an external tv tuner. The Mm is a perfect beginners HTPC. Not everybody is into HDTV.

It would be cool to see a dual G4 1.42 Mm.

I don't see the external components defeating the purpose of switching.

Regards,
Joe

Going "over the top" with OTA, Netflix, Drobo FS and Apple TV!
post #4 of 6 Old 01-27-2005, 07:32 AM

There is a lot of info in that article which makes it daunting for some. But if you cut out the stuff you don't need you can boil it down to a very good and reasonably straightforward explanation. The key problem with the Mac mini as a HTPC is storage and Engadget does a good job of describing the options. I also like the stuff on VNC. My brother uses his iPaQ to control his HTPC - good to know the same can be done with a Mac and a Palm.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-27-2005, 07:46 AM

I use Ultra VNC....it's fabulous.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-27-2005, 03:02 PM
gsc

I suppose I was a bit hard on the article. But as a prospective HTPCer (with little knowledge or interest in tweaking), I'm more interested in the mac mini as a self-contained unit, not as a front-end for a network of storage devices, tv-tuner, etc. (wire soup!). I agree that the mini would be unobtrusive in the living room, but to a novice like myself it looks just as complicated as a Windows-based HTPC behind the curtain. As always, it depends on the person's background and how he intends to use the device.

The alternative for an HTPC-newbie like me is to skip the HTPC altogether in favor of a set-top combo DVR and DVD player (admittedly sacrificing some abilities of an HTPC). I was hoping the mac mini would fill the middle-ground between DVR/DVD devices and traditional Windows-based HTPCs, in terms of the effort and know-how required to get the system up and running. OK, maybe it's a little easier, but you'd never know from reading the article above. I guess that's the trade-off in being thorough.
Closed Thread HTPC - Mac Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page