Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #121 of 141 Old 01-10-2006, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I guess I won't be selling my EyeTV 500's, my Linkplayer2 or my 1.5 GHz Mini just yet. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcliff
Well, this thread is titled "Apple to make HTPC?" One could argue that the new iMac with high res DVI out and optical audio out is just that.
I look forward to confirmation from future Intel iMac owners that they can play 1080i without dropping frames. 1080p would be even better but I won't hold my breath on that. It looks like Windows HTPCs will still hold the performance edge over Apple unless they stealthily snuck GPU-based CoreVideo decoding into OS 10.4.4 -- which doesn't seem so likely now that all the pre-keynote hype is over. We'll know about that soon enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 141 Old 01-10-2006, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcliff
Well, this thread is titled "Apple to make HTPC?" One could argue that the new iMac with high res DVI out and optical audio out is just that.
I will agree with you on that...

But Apple will not release a DVR for the same reasons I have said before. Just look at the numbers that Steve gave about the number of downloads the iTunes store had in the last quarter...that is a lot of revenue for Apple.
post #123 of 141 Old 01-10-2006, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHound
I look forward to confirmation from future Intel iMac owners that they can play 1080i without dropping frames.
And can you use a secondary display as the primary?

rcliff
post #124 of 141 Old 01-10-2006, 12:18 PM

Did anyone notice that the new iMac has support for non-mirrored connection with an external display now? Meaning you can connect a display / TV / projector and set it to its native resolution and leave it there.

While not the HTPC we were all looking for, thats certainly a useful feature for people whose desks happen to be next to their projectors and AV racks like me. :o)
post #125 of 141 Old 01-10-2006, 12:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyDora

But Apple will not release a DVR for the same reasons I have said before. Just look at the numbers that Steve gave about the number of downloads the iTunes store had in the last quarter...that is a lot of revenue for Apple.

That you continue to fail to see the obvious and plain as day way in which paid downloads could happily and peacefully coexist with a DVR is your primary shortcoming. Get over this delusion and you'll start to see things more clearly.

And by the way, a little early to gloat no? Forever is a long time my friend. I'll be here to discuss the Apple DVR when it's announced. Will you?

TM

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #126 of 141 Old 01-10-2006, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Or the new MacBook with DVI out and optical out...

-- Kevin Arnold
-- CouchPotato Software Engineer
-- High Tech Luddite searching for simpler times...
-- My job IS my hobbie :D

HT Equipment
My HomePage
post #127 of 141 Old 01-10-2006, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody
That you continue to fail to see the obvious and plain as day way in which paid downloads could happily and peacefully coexist with a DVR is your primary shortcoming. Get over this delusion and you'll start to see things more clearly.

And by the way, a little early to gloat no? Forever is a long time my friend. I'll be here to discuss the Apple DVR when it's announced. Will you?

TM
I will stick to my statement...and I will add a sidenote...

I have it on good authority, Apple will never, ever release an Apple branded DVR. Now, with two major companies having DVR solutions (firewire and USB 2.0) the business model for an Apple DVR is completely closed.

Apple will develop and introduce a download system for feature films in the next six-to-nine months. It would have been sooner but some major hurdles have to be overcome...and it's not DRM related.

Apple tried the DVR route many years ago and failed miserably. They learned that this is something better left to outisde vendors.
post #128 of 141 Old 01-10-2006, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

No Mac Mini announcement. Any way you slice it, I say "curses".
post #129 of 141 Old 01-10-2006, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Just wait for the "30th Anniversary Mac"
post #130 of 141 Old 01-10-2006, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

"
Apple will develop and introduce a download system for feature films in the next six-to-nine months. It would have been sooner but some major hurdles have to be overcome...and it's not DRM related.
"
"
Just wait for the "30th Anniversary Mac"
"

I agree twice - and concurrently me thinks...

ken
post #131 of 141 Old 01-10-2006, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Hopefully it won't be a flop like the "20th Anniversary Mac" back in Apple's darkest days.
post #132 of 141 Old 01-10-2006, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey, it's an immortal piece of Seinfeld history.

It was just too expensive and used a 603e vs 604e if I remember. The 30th Anniv really needs to be the plasma with built-in iMac. ;)
post #133 of 141 Old 01-10-2006, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hopefully it won't be a flop like the "20th Anniversary Mac" back in Apple's darkest days.
I had one of these and I loved it at the time....but let's remember something...The TAM had TV/Radio built-in with a pretty cool feature at the time...a DVR. Yes indeed. One of the nifty apps that was only available for the TAM was a Quicktime extension that would let you record (albeit, very low resolution) your favorite TV shows. I still think I have a few Quicktime movies that I made with my TAM. They are so bad by today's standards that I would never watch them again.

My TAM die a painful death and I was not smart enough to keep it around for nostalgia...I wonder if they are worth anything more than paperweight now.
post #134 of 141 Old 01-11-2006, 07:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyDora

MickeyMouse,

Even your logic is preposterous. Or maybe your math is simply poor.

Steve quoted 8 million video downloads for the most recent quarter. To my recollection he didn't say they were all paid (remember, there are a ton of free videos of various kinds to download) but let me give you the beneft of the doubt for the time being and submit that they were. Let me also give you the benefit of the doubt and say that the rate of video downloads will increase by TEN times in the coming year - a rate Apple would probably be thrilled at. That would get us to 320 million video downloads in the coming year (8 million * 4 quarters * 10). That's $640mm in revenues at $2 a pop.

For a company at a revenue run rate currently approaching $20 billion for the coming year, your "a lot of revenue for Apple" amounts to less than 3.5% of the total - and don't forget that's assuming the enormous growth rates I used for the calculation which are, let's admit, highly unlikely.

Even if you say that the net margins on the video downloads are (much) higher than they are for Apple hardware, I'd still say that any rational analysis of Apple's financial performance breakdown now and going forward can result in no conclusion other than that Apple cares more - exponentially more - about hardware sales than it does about video download sales.

Plus - you continue to choose to wear blinders to the manner in which paid downloads can happily coexist with DVR functionality.

I won't continue to argue with you - you've proven to be illogical and ill informed. Feel free to have the last word, at least until the Apple DVR comes out.

TM

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #135 of 141 Old 01-11-2006, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegeek
Based on what was released I think it is kind of simple. The price for Yonah is not low enough for Apple to release a MacMini or iBook with an appropriate retail price and a decent profit margin.

I think as the price drifts lower by mid year that you will see more products. I don't think you'll see a replacement for the Power Mac until Merom comes out.

Doug
post #136 of 141 Old 01-11-2006, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

MickeyMouse
So now you have come down to the level of juvenile name calling...

I guess intelligent debate is so beyond your capabilities that juvenile names is the best argument you can come up with.

Thank you for showing your true colors and showing everyone on this thread how intelligent and articulate you are.

I am sure that everyone here will now take everything and anything you say with very high regards.
post #137 of 141 Old 01-11-2006, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
MickeyMouse,

Even your logic is preposterous. Or maybe your math is simply poor.TM
Name calling and insults are unacceptable. Please keep it on a higher level.
post #138 of 141 Old 01-11-2006, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Where exactly is the name calling?
post #139 of 141 Old 01-11-2006, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seank
Where exactly is the name calling?
"MickeyMouse" referring to member "MickeyDora". I agree with MacHound. This is not needed here. Everyone has the right to their opinion and there are good arguments on both sides of the DVR question. I for one do think that Apple may very well go that direction, possibly through a Tivy acquisition but not yet. Apple has their hands full right now with the Intel transition and the distribution questions have yet to be clarified. Time will tell...

rcliff
post #140 of 141 Old 01-11-2006, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I look forward to confirmation from future Intel iMac owners that they can play 1080i without dropping frames. 1080p would be even better but I won't hold my breath on that.
On this Apple page about the MacBook they state "...enjoy smooth playback of 1080p HD video...". Maybe there's hope :)

rcliff
post #141 of 141 Old 01-12-2006, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Nice find. Can't wait for the Intel Mac Mini.

-Sean
Closed Thread HTPC - Mac Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page