Anyone using Final Cut? WTB a Final Cut system also for HTPC use - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #61 of 72 Old 02-12-2006, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 48
PK guys. My G4 is here and I have Final Cut Pro 5 on it, along with Final Cut Express. Thank God for the latter because for some reason the system errors while trying to capture in FCP. "Unknown Error" is what I get. Yes I can capture fine in Final Cut Express HD!

So I am capturing that way and will just import to FCP for editing.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for all the help in making my decision. :)

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 72 Old 02-13-2006, 06:29 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens
PK guys. My G4 is here and I have Final Cut Pro 5 on it, along with Final Cut Express. Thank God for the latter because for some reason the system errors while trying to capture in FCP. "Unknown Error" is what I get. Yes I can capture fine in Final Cut Express HD!

So I am capturing that way and will just import to FCP for editing.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for all the help in making my decision. :)
I suggest you do not use the work flow FCE to FCP. FCE cannot capture time code, thus one of the many important tools of video editing is not available to you at all. FCP does. It would be worthwhile for you to take the time to a) read the FCP manuals for guidance in setting up and b) visit the FCP Forum once you feel you have done all you can to get FCP to capture for you. You may want to start by trashing the FCP Preference files and then make sure when you launch FCP that the preferences are set in accordance with your camera, the scratch disk limits, etc. There is no point in capturing in FCE since you will not be able to reference any of your clips. FCE only does "capture now". You may as well use iMovie and skip FCP.
post #63 of 72 Old 02-13-2006, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

:( That makes me not happy. I spent hours and hours yesterday capturing (it was pure hell). Does iMovie capture time code? I know that editing in iMovie is NOT an option because it will give me nearly enough of the tools I need to complete this project.

I changed all the FCP preference files to match my camera and even had a guy on the phone helping me out (he is experienced with FCE and FCP). Everything seems to be set up properly.

By the way, I sometimes got the same error when using Final Cut Express to capture.

So far a frustrating time has been had by yours truly. :(

post #64 of 72 Old 02-13-2006, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
:( That makes me not happy. I spent hours and hours yesterday capturing (it was pure hell). Does iMovie capture time code? I know that editing in iMovie is NOT an option because it will give me nearly enough of the tools I need to complete this project.
Matt, I don't think iMovie captures time-code, but I could be wrong. Though I captured footage for my music video project into iMovie in (classic) OS 9.1, many of the same tools have changed since then. I later got FCP 2 which worked OK, but dropped frames because my Mac's memory needed upgrading.

I used iMovie 2, Adobe After Effects 4 and a rip-off of Quicktime Pro called Quickeditor. Again, this was all done under OS 9, and I've yet to do any major projects in OS X (10.3.9). I'd suggest checking back in the Apple forums to see what help more experienced FCP users can provide.

"But I didn't do it...!"
"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #65 of 72 Old 02-13-2006, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I don't have log sheets, so frankly I do not think I need the time code from the camera. FCPE-HD will just create its own time code.

One thing that confuses me is anamorphic. My camera is not an actual anamorphic system with an anamorphic of 16X9 CCD. It does a 16X9 mode electronically and I shot my short in that mode.

So do I capture anamorphic in FCP?

post #66 of 72 Old 02-13-2006, 05:58 PM

Quote:
I don't have log sheets, so frankly I do not think I need the time code from the camera. FCPE-HD will just create its own time code.

One thing that confuses me is anamorphic. My camera is not an actual anamorphic system with an anamorphic of 16X9 CCD. It does a 16X9 mode electronically and I shot my short in that mode.

So do I capture anamorphic in FCP?
Your comment about "log sheets" not only makes no sense, but you do not really understand what time code really is. No, FCE cannot "create its own time code".
I think it best you first spend time with FCP manuals. iMovie is a toy and like FCE is incapable of capturing time code.
post #67 of 72 Old 02-13-2006, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
I don't have log sheets, so frankly I do not think I need the time code from the camera.
Matt, I'm not the most experienced editor by any means, but I can tell you that time code is generated from the camera, not the capture/editing program. I've seen where some will put a tape in their DV cam and black-stripe it, meaning precoding the tape (with lens cap on and probably a dummy audio plug inserted into the mic jack).

I personally need to get editing down-pat, as it's the hardest part of the process for me. But (in the future), I'd really like to give that chore to a good editor who knows how to assemble footage and still keep storyline intact.

"But I didn't do it...!"
"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #68 of 72 Old 02-13-2006, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Matt, I also am not an expert on video capture and editing, but there's a small freeware program I've found helpful for capturing DV footage called Vidi. At least with my Canopus ADVC converter that's proven to be more useful than either iMovie or FCE for capturing. It's simple and relatively painless. What you do with your footage from that point onward will be up to you. Check Vidi out. Even if it's not the perfect tool for your equipment you won't have wasted anything except a few minutes of your time. Best luck!
post #69 of 72 Old 02-13-2006, 09:41 PM
Advanced Member

First off, a very basic function of FCP like logging and capturing should be resolved before you go any further. What exactly is happening when you try to capture? Try disconnecting any other firewire devices if you have any, especially an iSight as there were many issues with those at one point. Many here would be happy to help but we need more info.

-Jerry C.
post #70 of 72 Old 02-13-2006, 09:46 PM
Advanced Member

Hey I see that G4 you have has a firewire and USB card. Have you tried using some on the card and or some of the ones than came built in? Sometimes firewire ports just die a miserable death and get all troublesome. That may be why the previous owner installed a fw card. Try different ports and see if you still get the error.

-Jerry C.
post #71 of 72 Old 02-14-2006, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

No other Firewire devices are attached when I capture. I have a Firewire drive, but it is not connected at that time.

I was able to capture footage yesterday for the first time with FCP, though I got a warningthat the audio sample rate was different in my settings than in my camera,. which makes no sense because I have it set up properly.

Can anyone answer the anamorphic question for me?

post #72 of 72 Old 02-14-2006, 10:25 AM

Quote:
No other Firewire devices are attached when I capture. I have a Firewire drive, but it is not connected at that time.

I was able to capture footage yesterday for the first time with FCP, though I got a warningthat the audio sample rate was different in my settings than in my camera,. which makes no sense because I have it set up properly.

Can anyone answer the anamorphic question for me?
1. The use of a ( second ) hard drive other than the drive which contains the system and application is recommended for capture of video. Do not use an external FW drive for capture unless you have added a PCI card with FW on it. The G4 only has one(1) FW bus that serves two ports.
2. The disk for capture must be formatted in Mac OS Extended.
3. FCP will only capture and handle audio that is 48khZ. If your tape was captured with a video cam that either did not or cannot output at 48khz, FCP will warn you. You have not set up properly. Read the manual. You can "convert" the audio to 48khz using Compressor. Read the manual.
4. If you captured in true 16:9 (based on a lens) FCP will automatically capture that way via a flag sent by the camera. You report that you used "electronic" means. If there is no flag FCP will not capture the sequence in 16:9. You will have to check the appropriate sequence setting within FCP. However.....for you to see it for editing purposes you will have to use a video monitor (not your computer display) that can handle a 16:9. Read the manual. To get started I suggest you find Tom Wolsky's Final Cut Pro Editing Essentials before you tackle your own project.
Closed Thread HTPC - Mac Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page