Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookee View Post

Yes, it works.

Thanks for the confirmation.

I'm trying to move DVD Assist over to Applescript Studio. I'll see about adding AVI support once that is done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 499 Old 11-19-2006, 02:19 PM

I set up things as per the howto docs provided with DVD Assist. Here is my setup:
- Mac Mini Core duo
- Remote Buddy
- VLC (intel build)
- movies stored on a external drive as direct DVD rips (video_ts folder, etc.)

What I would like to do is have Front Row use VLC to play these DVD rips. What happens is that Front Row finds the movie files, but uses DVD Player and I can't figure out how to change this to make it use VLC. (It does seem to work fine with DVDPlayer, but I can't get spdif passthrough to work with DVDPlayer and VLC does support this.)

I tried looking at the source in Script Editor, but it wasn't obvious to me how to make this happen.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Martin
post #273 of 499 Old 11-19-2006, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafsel View Post

I set up things as per the howto docs provided with DVD Assist. Here is my setup:
- Mac Mini Core duo
- Remote Buddy
- VLC (intel build)
- movies stored on a external drive as direct DVD rips (video_ts folder, etc.)

What I would like to do is have Front Row use VLC to play these DVD rips. What happens is that Front Row finds the movie files, but uses DVD Player and I can't figure out how to change this to make it use VLC. (It does seem to work fine with DVDPlayer, but I can't get spdif passthrough to work with DVDPlayer and VLC does support this.)

I tried looking at the source in Script Editor, but it wasn't obvious to me how to make this happen.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Martin

I dropped support for VLC for DVD playback a long time back... mostly because I was frustrated with VLC. Since then, I think I've worked around one of the most annoying shortcomings in VLC (Sometimes it would play full screen, sometimes not.)

I'll consider adding in support for VLC for DVD playback again.
post #274 of 499 Old 11-24-2006, 09:51 AM

Hey SS,

have you figured out the Mac mini sleeping problem, I mentioned previously?

Thanks!
post #275 of 499 Old 11-24-2006, 09:14 PM

The sleeping problem was corrected by an Apple update. It was pushed down to me a few days ago. Works like a charm now.
post #276 of 499 Old 11-25-2006, 05:07 AM

I also have the update and it still prevents my Mac mini from GOING to sleep...
And I have tested it for many many times. Doesn't matter which processes are running, only if I kill DVDAssistant it will go to sleep.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
post #277 of 499 Old 11-25-2006, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mex12 View Post

Hey SS,

have you figured out the Mac mini sleeping problem, I mentioned previously?

Thanks!

I'm still scratching my head over this. I need to find developer documentation on what OS functions prevent sleep, and see if I can avoid them.

I didn't think I was doing anything that would have prevented sleep, but my office Macbook won't sleep with DVD Assist running either.

All I am really doing is checking to see what process is in front... that shouldn't do it.
post #278 of 499 Old 12-01-2006, 08:46 AM

We use a Mac Mini as the center of our home theatre, and also for our home automation. DVD Assist has been GREAT, thank you very much!

I am wondering, would it be possible to add an option into DVD assist to execute an external applescript when it starts a movie?

The reason why I would love this is because then I could have the mac automatically dim the lights when the movie starts. I'm sure there could be other uses, too.

Thanks again for the great program!

-Dan
post #279 of 499 Old 12-01-2006, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squished Squirre View Post

I'm still scratching my head over this. I need to find developer documentation on what OS functions prevent sleep, and see if I can avoid them.

I didn't think I was doing anything that would have prevented sleep, but my office Macbook won't sleep with DVD Assist running either.

All I am really doing is checking to see what process is in front... that shouldn't do it.

I spoke with a developer buddy, and he gave me some ideas on what might be tripping up auto sleep mode. I'll see if I can try his ideas... although it might not be until the Christmas to New years holiday when I have a lot of time to burn.
post #280 of 499 Old 12-01-2006, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by editordz View Post

We use a Mac Mini as the center of our home theatre, and also for our home automation. DVD Assist has been GREAT, thank you very much!

I am wondering, would it be possible to add an option into DVD assist to execute an external applescript when it starts a movie?

The reason why I would love this is because then I could have the mac automatically dim the lights when the movie starts. I'm sure there could be other uses, too.

Thanks again for the great program!

-Dan

The current version is still editable, so you can drop it on the Applescript editor and add in any custom scripting you want (To dim lights, etc.)

The next version will be done in Applescript studio, so it will no longer be editable. Adding a check for a script wouldn't be too tough though.
post #281 of 499 Old 12-05-2006, 11:54 PM

Hey there,

First off, I love this utility. Second, I am running into trouble and I have no idea what is going on. I am using a MBP with latest versions of everything - I launch placeholder movie from Front Row, and my expectation is that the place holder movie will play in its entirety first, then launch the VIDEO_TS file. Unfortunately, in my case, no matter what placeholder movie I choose, it plays for about 4-5 seconds and then immediately cuts over to the VIDEO_TS file. For example, with the default placeholder movie, it counts down to 8 or 7, at most, then cuts over to VIDEO_TS file. It seems that this was working more correctly earlier in the evening, but I can't get it to work at all now. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-M
----
post #282 of 499 Old 12-06-2006, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter

The placeholder files were never intended to play fully. That is why I chose the countdown leader, as it is the least objectionable to be cut off early.

In the background, DVD Assist only checks every 4 seconds to see what Front Row is playing. And then it takes another 3-6 seconds for DVD Player to fire up, open the file and start playing. So, there will always be some variability in when the placeholder movie gets cut off.

Some have chosen to replace the default placeholder movie with a static movie of the cover art. Instruction on how to do so are in this thread (much better instructions than I included in the "other stuff" folder.)
post #283 of 499 Old 12-08-2006, 02:00 PM

Will it play ISO or VIDEO_TS from a PAL DVD? I have an NTSC TV. I do not know if it matters or it just sees it as digital signal
post #284 of 499 Old 12-08-2006, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

If it is an ISO, then the region coding should be removed, and it should play. If it is a physical DVD, then inserting it might cause a Region change notification to be generated. (you are only allowed 5 region changes before your drive is locked down, unless you have a hacked drive.)

Basically, there is nothing about DVD Assist that would enable or prevent a PAL DVD from playing.
post #285 of 499 Old 12-09-2006, 12:12 PM

Thank you SS. I ripped them on a PC and made them region free. my main concern was PAL vs NTSC.
post #286 of 499 Old 12-10-2006, 10:44 AM

Once the iTV is released, with the use of DVD Assist, will we be able to wirelessly stream our ripped DVD's from a desktop Mac in our study to the large screen TV in the living room? I believe the iTV will have a remote control for use with Front Row.

Wonder if the desktop Mac will still be functional or will it be taken over by FR while it's streaming?
post #287 of 499 Old 12-10-2006, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

I can only guess at how the iTV will operate, but something tells me it will be a petty closed system. Maybe just MPEG4, H.264 and a small variety of music formats similar to what an iPod video can play.
post #288 of 499 Old 12-10-2006, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

I see that VLC now support the Apple remote. That could come in handy if they did it right and it doesn't compete for the remote with Front Row.
post #289 of 499 Old 12-15-2006, 01:34 PM

First off, thanks so much for DVD Assist - it works flawlessly. I couldn't see that anyone else has posted this, so I thought I'd pass it along (maybe everybody already knows, I don't know). You can create really nice placeholder files for your movies using iPhoto. Just download or scan in an image file of the DVD cover and import it into iPhoto. After selecting the image, choose the iPhoto export option. Then choose the Quicktime tab. Now set up your clip the way you want it (size, duration, background color, etc.), export it, and you're done. You'll have a nice clip of the DVD cover that will display in Front Row as your browse your films. I'm using iLife '06, by the way, so I'm not sure if it's different with older versions.
post #290 of 499 Old 12-16-2006, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

Now that is cool. I've got iPhoto, but never knew it could do that. Off to go try it.
post #291 of 499 Old 12-19-2006, 12:12 PM

SS,
I have several DVDs for which the subtitles are inserted in the dvd player menu (i.e., if I play the dvd in a regular dvd player, I just press menu and I can select my optios for subtitles there). In the front row I do not have this option. You can only see the subtitles embeded in the dvd (the disc). Any idea how can we get around this?

thanks
post #292 of 499 Old 12-20-2006, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

DVD Assist uses Apple DVD Player. To get to the DVD menu with the remote, just hold the menu button in for a few seconds, and then you should be able to navigate to the subtitle menu like you do on a regular DVD player.
post #293 of 499 Old 12-20-2006, 06:32 PM

SS,
I tried the menu button. It does not bring out the dvd player menu but it goes back one step
post #294 of 499 Old 12-21-2006, 11:44 PM

Hi, I found DVD Assist a couple nights ago, after about 5 minutes I threw down $15
I thought it was so cool. I have EyeTV too, so I'm using both that and VIDEO_TS folders.

I've read this whole thread (I think ), I can't figure out:

is VLC supposed to be launched to play certain files types in 1.4.7? I think so from this thread
but it doesn't launch it for me. I renamed a file .ts, it showed as a vlc type then, but still frontrow
won't play it.

I guess I could buy the Quicktime stuff, but if vlc can already play it...

Bill
post #295 of 499 Old 12-23-2006, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandutzu View Post

SS,
I tried the menu button. It does not bring out the dvd player menu but it goes back one step

Try playing it in DVD Player (without DVD Assist or Front Row.) If you can't get to the menu with DVD Player, then I don't know that there is anything I can suggest.
post #296 of 499 Old 12-23-2006, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by billit View Post

Hi, I found DVD Assist a couple nights ago, after about 5 minutes I threw down $15
I thought it was so cool. I have EyeTV too, so I'm using both that and VIDEO_TS folders.

I've read this whole thread (I think ), I can't figure out:

is VLC supposed to be launched to play certain files types in 1.4.7? I think so from this thread
but it doesn't launch it for me. I renamed a file .ts, it showed as a vlc type then, but still frontrow
won't play it.

I guess I could buy the Quicktime stuff, but if vlc can already play it...

Bill

Thanks for the donation.

What type of file are you tryng to play? Is it a transport stream file (.ts?) If not, renaming it won't help.

Also, for transport stream files to play, you must also have a placeholder movie at the same level and with the same name (exept it ends with .mov instead of .ts) AND it must be inside of a folder called "Transport Streams"

Take another stroll through the docs and it should make sense...

Squirrel
post #297 of 499 Old 12-24-2006, 10:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandutzu View Post

SS,

Be sure to hold down the MENU button for a couple of seconds... it worked for me.

If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.

post #298 of 499 Old 12-24-2006, 05:49 PM

Sorry, I haven't managed to read through 10 pages.

I love the idea of the program. However, going through the process of making links and copying the start movie file to every folder just seems like a bit of work. I would suggest a "pre" script that scans the hard drives for video_ts files, copies the file there then creates a link in Movies.

For me, I have been using Handbrake. I have about 900 movies. At 4-9GB, we are talking 3.6TB to 8.1 Terrabytes. Oops.

So, while I copy my movies for backup (small children), I also rip them to h.264. I then put those into a folder on my external drive(s) and create aliases to those folders into my Movies directory.

I have a compiled version of Handbrake that includes HBTest, which is the command line version. I then created a perl script that encodes the files (works for video_ts, iso and img files), moves the original to a "Done" folder (so I can verify the conversion went well).

This basically allows my EyeHome to use them and my Macs.

As I just got my projector and settled into the new house, my intel Mini is becoming the new media center system.

So, my thought above for having a script create the entries may help some out. I personally would love the full DVD (and the corresponding audio quality), but I don't want to spend the $$$ on so much space. Well that, and I would spend a month copying all the dvds again (even with 4 drives).

BTW, if anyone would like my script, I wrote it in perl. I am happy to share it.
post #299 of 499 Old 12-24-2006, 05:49 PM

Hey there... I'm a big fan of DVD assist. I seem to have it working great. Have all the aliases set up to the Movie files in the TS_VIDEO folders on a variety of external drives all being accessed through the Appletalk network.

Weird thing is, though, that the aliases to DVD's on my firewire drives (connected to another computer) are accessible via the Front Row on my HTMac (mac mini intel) but the aliases that link to DVD's on my NAS drive (ethernet network drive) are not. This is problematic because it is a 2 TB drive and I have many DVD's on it.

The set up is: Mac Mini Intel Core Duo 1.83, with Front Row, DVD Assist (aliases in the Movies folder linking to the placeholder files on several drives as follows: firewire drive connected to G5 Mac via Ethernet, internal drive on G5 via Ethernet and the Ethernet NAS drive 2TB).

To recap: the aliases link fine in the finder to all three drives. However, Front Row only sees the ones on the network that are connected to my G5. The movies on the network drive are invisible.

Any thoughts? Happy holidays to all.

-Mac Guy
post #300 of 499 Old 12-24-2006, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squished Squirre View Post

Thanks for the donation.

What type of file are you tryng to play? Is it a transport stream file (.ts?) If not, renaming it won't help.

Also, for transport stream files to play, you must also have a placeholder movie at the same level and with the same name (exept it ends with .mov instead of .ts) AND it must be inside of a folder called "Transport Streams"

Take another stroll through the docs and it should make sense...

Squirrel

Got it, Thanks.

yes, rtfm helps too
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page