DVD Assist - VIDEO_TS playback for Front Row - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 499 Old 03-07-2007, 06:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All

Is there a way to add to DVD_Assist the following option?
(If its there can someone tell me how to use it)

I like to use FR & DVD_Assist to launch a Dvix video file (avi ...) with VLC (so I can see the movie with subtitles), Let's say I will add Play_With_VLC to the end of the files name. So DVD_Assist will see I like to play this movie and launch VLC.

BTW is there a newer version then 1.47? if yes where I can find it?

Thx for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 499 Old 03-07-2007, 03:01 PM

Hi.
First, I must say that I think DVDAssist is a great and very useful piece of software. Thank you SS for your efforts and patience.
I am using FR on a G5 Quad via Front Row Runner. I am also using the Keyspan remote control that works quite well with FR.
The main drawback is that I have to launch FR from the dock because the remote does not seem to provide the launch option. I am having a problem that may not be solvable, but here it is anyway.
I can access my "DVD Movies" folder just fine in FR and as I scroll down thru my list of movies, cover art that I have installed as QT files shows up as it should, etc. Also, if I select a movie, the "DVD" launches just fine and I can select chapters, start the movie, watch the DVD's Special Features, etc. from my remote position in the room.

However, if I decide while watching a film that I want to switch to a different movie, I cannot get back to my "DVD Movies" list with the remote, I have to exit everything, returning to the finder, and re-launching FR from the dock. (WhenI return to the finder, I note that FR is no longer running (which doesn't surprise me since I assume that DVD Player has taken over once I choose my
movie in the FR list).

Is there any way to return to the movie list displayed in front row when I decide to switch to a different film than the one that I have been watching? To do so would be so much nicer than getting up, returning to the computer, re-launching FR, etc. Thanks for any responses.
post #363 of 499 Old 03-08-2007, 12:12 AM

Quote:

To do so would be so much nicer than getting up, returning to the computer, re-launching FR

Hi quad9

I realy hops SS will help you with your problem.
In any case you can go an get Remote buddy

http://www.iospirit.com/index.php?mo...jcode=html-106

It will solve you problem.
I use it ,works quite well.
post #364 of 499 Old 03-08-2007, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter

Funny thing is, I actually have a Keyspan DMR.

First off, does your Front row trigger properly if you hit Command-Escape? If it does, then reprogramming, say, the "Cycle" button on the DMR might be the ticket. I haven't tried it since my DMR is on my server running panther (just happens to be convienient to the dinner table.)

Other bugs reported, and still unresolved:
Support for unicode filenames and paths. This one is ticking me off because I'm not understanding exactly how applescript handles unicode (and how LSOF mangles it.)

Some people have slight pauses while videos play. Still haven't found a good work-around for that.
post #365 of 499 Old 03-08-2007, 03:07 PM

As suggested I will look at Remote Buddy and see if there's any possibilities there.

In answer to the question ... if I launch Front Row (Front Row Runner) from the dock, I can use Command-Escape to return to the finder. However, I am not able to launch Front Row from the finder using Command-Escape, so programming my KeySpan remote to generate that ke combination will probably not help.
I'm not surprised because I am using workaround software just to be able to run FR on my G5 Quad. FR works well with the KeySpan Remote, but once I am into a movie via DVDAssist, I have to quit and reurn to the Finder before I can get back to FR again (by relaunching it from the dock) in order to play a different movie.
post #366 of 499 Old 03-08-2007, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

I understand that you have to use a work-around to get FR running, but if properly installed with the proper patch, it should always be at your beckon call. I've used nearly all versions of Front Row Enabler to allow non remote macs to use FR. It can do nasty things if you patch an already patched system. But nothing that isn't fixable.

Remote Buddy is cool, and may be your best bet, but I never liked the additional menu layer it added since I didn't need programs other than Front Row, DVD Player and VLC to be controlled.
post #367 of 499 Old 03-09-2007, 08:05 AM

Hi SS, Is there a way you can help me with
Quote:

I like to use FR & DVD_Assist to launch a Dvix video file (avi ...) with VLC (so I can see the movie with subtitles), Let's say I will add Play_With_VLC to the end of the files name. So DVD_Assist will see I like to play this movie and launch VLC.

BTW is there a newer version then 1.47? if yes where I can find it?

Thx for the help & patience
post #368 of 499 Old 03-18-2007, 12:43 PM

I posted earlier about not being able to return to FR after quitting a DVD running under DVDAssist without reurning to the keyboard and using the dock icon. (I am using a G5 Quad with KeySpan remote and in my case, none of the remote's burrons can re-launch FR). However, it turns out that after quitting a DVD, the arrow buttons on the KeySpan remote can be used to remotely navigate the screen cursor to the dock and launch FR again. Not the greatest solution but at least I don't have to leave the sofa.
post #369 of 499 Old 03-19-2007, 10:51 AM

Can anyone confirm whether anything in the 10.4.9 update breaks DVD Assist?

(I'm err'ing on the side of caution, since this utility has to run around Front Row, and who knows what Apple might accidentally break...)
post #370 of 499 Old 03-19-2007, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydot View Post

Can anyone confirm whether anything in the 10.4.9 update breaks DVD Assist?

(I'm err'ing on the side of caution, since this utility has to run around Front Row, and who knows what Apple might accidentally break...)

Doesn't seem to. I updated my mini last week, and watched some DVDs this weekend.
post #371 of 499 Old 03-21-2007, 01:57 PM

This looks to be an amazing hack, and I wish I could get it to work. This is how I have it setup maybe someomen can tell me where my issue lies.

Hardware Macmini CoreDuo (not C2D) running Mac OS X 10.4.9 1GB Ram.
External FW Newertech 500GB Drive

I have the DVD Assist App set to launch at login.
All of my movies (VIDEO_TS) files are on the external drive
I copied the Start the Movie.mov file to the VIDEO_TS folder of the movie I wanted to watch and renamed it to the movie's name, Madagascar.mov
I then made an alias to it in the 'Movies' folder under my account.

When I activate Front Row and navigate to the Movies section there is the alias. When I select it, it start the countdown movie, pauses, then goes back to the menu. If I quit Front Row and go to the Finder the DVD Assist is hung and needs to be Force Quit. I am stumped. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
post #372 of 499 Old 03-21-2007, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

By chance did you put the alias directly into the Movies folder, or in a sub folder of the Movies folder? I've run into issues with putting the aliases directly into the movies folder... still, this doesn't sound like the same problem. (The problem I had was the wrong movie played.)

I can probably test a C2 mini with 10.4.9 since I have a ton of them at the office.

Any other software installed that you think might be involved?

You say DVD Assist is hung? Can you open Activity monitor and see if there is an application "frontmost" running at the time it is hung?
post #373 of 499 Old 03-21-2007, 08:44 PM

Well I can honestly say I am quite amazed with DVD Assist. I have enjoyed Front Row, as a TV interface, and gotten the wifes approval as easy to use, but I was always frustrated by not being able to play my DVD's burned to the Mac. This is a goldmine and I look forward to seeing all that I am able to do with it (like being able to go from viewing the DVD back to Front Row without using a keybaord).

Thanks to Squished Squirre for getting back to me so quickly. I will let you know the info you asked for if it happens again. If we decide to keep using it this weekend I will be donating some bucks via PayPal.

Thanks again!
post #374 of 499 Old 03-22-2007, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the donation offer, but make sure it works well for you before donating! There are a few bugs that happen to some people, and I may never be able to iron them out... so make sure it works well for you first.

Thanks!
post #375 of 499 Old 03-28-2007, 10:45 AM

Hey SS, Well I am now seeing the glitching on my DVD's. However I did notice it more once I served them up off a network volume. Didn't seem to have the problem serving them locally. My question is this. I am trying to come up with a work around as mentioned earlier in this thread by quitting DVD Assist once a dvd starts up and then starting DA after DVD player quits. I am thinking that there might be an easy way to trigger this by inserting the appropriate command in DA but am not sure where to put it. I would then use automator to restart DA. Could you tell me what command to insert and where in DA I should insert it for this to work? I am not that familiar with apple scripting...
post #376 of 499 Old 03-29-2007, 02:29 PM

I have the same problem as nw_mike above:
Quote:

When I activate Front Row and navigate to the Movies section there is the alias. When I select it, it start the countdown movie, pauses, then goes back to the menu.

I would say that nothing happens, but in fact, DVD Assist seems to have started iTunes in the background, instead of DVD Player! After I quit Front Row, iTunes is on the Dock, running.

Also, it works perfectly with my wife account on the same machine (intel iMac 20" 2GHz) or with a newly created account. Only my account has this issue.
post #377 of 499 Old 03-29-2007, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaba! View Post

I would say that nothing happens, but in fact, DVD Assist seems to have started iTunes in the background, instead of DVD Player! After I quit Front Row, iTunes is on the Dock, running.

Also, it works perfectly with my wife account on the same machine (intel iMac 20" 2GHz) or with a newly created account. Only my account has this issue.

Front row is set to automatically start itunes when launched. This has nothing to do with DVD Assist.

Did you set up the aliases in your movie folder for your account? You have to do it for every account because the movie folders are account specific. If you did, I would check the configuration because there is something amiss in your setup. Also is DVD Assist running on your account?
post #378 of 499 Old 03-30-2007, 07:26 AM

Thanks, psychotwo. I didn't know about that relationship between Front Row and iTunes, thanks for the clarification.

It must have been something with my setup indeed (after all, other accounts worked just fine), so yesterday I finally got fed up with it, and reinstalled my iMac completely (finished it 4:20 am this morning). I didn't try DVD Assist since then, but it definitely should work by now. I'll give it a shot tonight.
post #379 of 499 Old 03-30-2007, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaba! View Post

Thanks, psychotwo. I didn't know about that relationship between Front Row and iTunes, thanks for the clarification.

It must have been something with my setup indeed (after all, other accounts worked just fine), so yesterday I finally got fed up with it, and reinstalled my iMac completely (finished it 4:20 am this morning). I didn't try DVD Assist since then, but it definitely should work by now. I'll give it a shot tonight.

Sooooo, DVD Assist did not work in your account, but did work from other accounts, so you reintalled the entire operating system??? LMAO
post #380 of 499 Old 03-30-2007, 01:52 PM

No, DVD Assist was not the only reason to re-install my oldest Mac, it was just the last straw, and I wanted to do it for a long time now (it was a total mess), and I am very happy that I did it finally.

But the re-install didn't do the trick either.

Fortunately, however, I found the cause of the problem and the workaround as well. If I set "Magyar" (Hungarian) as the topmost language in System Preferences / International then DVD Assist does not work. If I move English or Deutsch to the top, DVD Assist works fine. Maybe because the Hungarian localization isn't installed on my system while English and German localizations are. It seems that DVD Assist will only work if the locale of the system is set to a localized language.

Why do I want to select Hungarian as the topmost language? Well, because I happen to be Hungarian, of course, and Microsoft Office 2004 does really weird things if I want to use a Hungarian keyboard layout and don't select at the same time Hungarian as the first language in the list. But since I don't need Office on this machine any more (I only use it on my laptop nowadays), I don't mind switching to English, in order to have a working DVD Assist, so I'm cool now. I am going to donate some money to the author of DVD Assist.

(If only Apple DVD Player would support resuming movies in VIDEO_TS folders...)
post #381 of 499 Old 04-05-2007, 01:48 PM

Thanks to Squished Squirre for the app... I love it

I got a minimac back in Feb. to start using/learning mac after a 20 year hiatus. I'm using front row and dvd assist to stream my 700 dvd's to my plasma in the family room.

I can get the movies to play without issues, I just have 2 things I need help on:

1. How does the file folder structure need to be so that I can go to movies in front row, then have 2 folders DVD's and TV Shows. Then from DVD's have just the names of all my movies come up in ABC order without having to navigate further into the VIDEO_TS folder on screen

2. How do I make the alias work for Start the Movie.mov when it's renamed to something else? Also, will I need QT pro to edit the Start the Movie.mov so that the cover art will show instead or shorten the trailer?

Steve
sbelyo@hotmail.com
post #382 of 499 Old 04-05-2007, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbelyo View Post

1. How does the file folder structure need to be so that I can go to movies in front row, then have 2 folders DVD's and TV Shows. Then from DVD's have just the names of all my movies come up in ABC order without having to navigate further into the VIDEO_TS folder on screen.

In the "Movies" folder in your account, create a new folder for each category you want shown, ie "DVDs" and "TV Shows".

Quote:

2. How do I make the alias work for Start the Movie.mov when it's renamed to something else? Also, will I need QT pro to edit the Start the Movie.mov so that the cover art will show instead or shorten the trailer?

Name the "Start the Movie" file whatever name you'd like, and even remove the .mov extension if you want to. Create an alias of the "Start the Movie.mov" file from each of the Video_TS folders, and drag it to the folders you created in #1.

I have my movies broken down by genre using this method. Works out great, keeps the groups small-ish, and the kids know right where to look for their movies.

post #383 of 499 Old 04-05-2007, 06:10 PM

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightowl View Post

Name the "Start the Movie" file whatever name you'd like, and even remove the .mov extension if you want to.

So place the "Start the Movie.mov" file in the VIDEO_TS folder you just ripped and rename it to whatever you want. Then do this:

Create an alias of the "Start the Movie.mov" file from each of the Video_TS folders, and drag it to the folders you created.

Got it

Steve
sbelyo@hotmail.com
post #384 of 499 Old 04-06-2007, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks

So place the "Start the Movie.mov" file in the VIDEO_TS folder you just ripped and rename it to whatever you want. Then do this:

Create an alias of the "Start the Movie.mov" file from each of the Video_TS folders, and drag it to the folders you created.

Got it

That should do it. How did it work out for you?
post #385 of 499 Old 04-13-2007, 09:33 PM

My experience is that if I create a sub-folder of the 'Movies' folder and put the trigger file in there, my movie does not get played. Instead, it plays the movie that has the last trigger file in the list in the actual 'Movies' folder. Anyone else see this? I would love to break them out, because I am sick of having to scroll through the long list...

Thanks in advance!
post #386 of 499 Old 04-14-2007, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oconnellc View Post

My experience is that if I create a sub-folder of the 'Movies' folder and put the trigger file in there, my movie does not get played. Instead, it plays the movie that has the last trigger file in the list in the actual 'Movies' folder.

I had this same problem and was able to remedy it by making sure there weren't any trigger movies above the aliases in the folder hierarchy. That is, I leave the Movies folder empty, save for my subfolders (All, Drama, Action, Comedy, etc.) that contain the actual aliases. As long as the aliases are all on the "same level" with no competing aliases in the folders "above them", you should be fine launching the correct files.

By the by, this problem is mentioned previously in the thread by SS and a couple of other folks, so don't think I'm breaking new ground here.

post #387 of 499 Old 04-14-2007, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzizbit View Post

Hi All

Is there a way to add to DVD_Assist the following option?
(If its there can someone tell me how to use it)

I have a hacky way to achieve this (minus subtitle support, which I don't know about). I use it to launch individual VOB files (trailers), but am pretty sure it will work with any type of video file that VLC can play.

I simply rename the video files with a ".TS" extension instead of the actual file type and treat them like Transport Stream files when setting up my file structure (see Read Me for details). Since DVD Assist looks for TS files and plays them via VLC, it works beautifully. VLC doesn't even send an error message the file type being off - it just plays them.

Ugly process? Yes. Effective? For me! FYI: It won't work with VLC Playlist files...I reached too far with that experiment!

Good luck.
post #388 of 499 Old 04-14-2007, 10:13 PM

SS,
I got a similar issue. I put the alias in the designated folder (i.e., Movies/Kids). It counts down the .mov file and then it returns to the menu. It worked fine before in this set up, so I pretty sure the files are OK. What is new now, is that I put all my files on a FW (that is partitioned in 3) vs a USB HDD, and I got a new mini C2 to be used for the HTPC system. I stripped down some of the useless software (I.e. Garage Band and such). I also recreated the alias, so the aliases are not copies of the old ones.

Any idea what might be wrong?

Thanks

Adrian
post #389 of 499 Old 04-15-2007, 06:44 PM

Well,
I was stupid enough and not paying attention. I figured out what was going on. My DVD Assist was not starting up at login. It works like a charm as it should.

Adrian
post #390 of 499 Old 04-17-2007, 06:33 PM

I'm very happy to come across this great little app! Great work Squirre! I just submitted a donation to you as a token of appreciation for all your work and effort.

One question I have is if anyone knows how to make all your pointer alias files (with originals on a network volume) appear in Front Row without having to open them in the finder first. Maybe add a script that opes all the pointer alias files and then quits them when you launch DVD Assist? (Not that I would now how to do this) Another question is if there is any way to wake the other Mac from sleep over the network? Any feedback is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page