DVD Assist - VIDEO_TS playback for Front Row - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 499 Old 10-08-2007, 01:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello chap

I'm trying to figure out what your problem is and what you are trying to do? DVD Assist is designed to work with Front Row, as long as it's running you can go to Front Row -> Movies -> and then select the Video_TS folder you want to play and the movie will begin. You activate Front Row by using your white Apple remote control that came with your Macbook Pro or I think you can hit Apple Key + escape (this button combination can be changed in System preferences under Keyboard & Mouse -> Keyboard Shortcuts).

Hope that's what you are after.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 499 Old 10-08-2007, 08:21 AM

Hey Jordy,

Thank for the reply.
I am doing exactly what you describe... sorry for the lack of clarification.

I am able to access my VIDEO_TS folders and movies from Front Row using the correct alias for each movie (no issue there). Here is my problem and the list of events that occur when i select an alias in Front Row (please note that DVD Assist IS running in the background already):

1. I select an alias in Front Row and i see the small movie clip with the countdown begin to play (still within Front Row).
2. Front Row exits and i can hear the movie running in the background but i am ultimately looking at my MacBook desktop. I can "hear" that DVD Player was successfully started by DVD Assist and is in fact playing the DVD, but i cannot "see" any video.
3. I then have to click on the DVD Player shortcut i created in the dock and the video from the movie shows up in full screen.

i know that DVD Assist was able to start DVD Player since, as i mentioned, i can "hear" the movie playing, and i can see that little dot underneath its' shortcut in the dock.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks for any help.
post #453 of 499 Old 10-08-2007, 08:34 AM

Hmm sounds like it could be a compatibility problem with DVD assist and Front Row. Are you running the recent Front Row update v1.3.1? If so it's possible that DVD Assist has some issues with this update. It could also be the Background Version of DVD Assist you are using... there are some issues on certain Mac's where the Background version doesn't work correctly, try running the normal DVD assist (that you can see in the dock) and try again.

If that doesn't work I would suggest contacting the author of DVD Assist for a bit of help
post #454 of 499 Old 10-08-2007, 08:39 AM

i guess it would be a good time to mention that i am running version 1.4.7. of DVD Assist and Leopard. However, the readme's explaining the version updates indicate that testing has been done in Leopard, although i guess it cannot be conclusive since Leopard has not been released yet.

I guess i should try this in Tiger and report back, but i prefer the new version of Front Row.
post #455 of 499 Old 10-08-2007, 08:57 AM

Woah hold up, if you are using Leopard you don't need DVD Assist, just plonk a plain old Video_TS folder (With no DVD Assist video) into a folder of the movie name and bung it in Your Moves folder and the new version of Front Row will start the film.

The reason it's not working is because the DVD Assist video that you put in the Video_TS folder boots you out of Front Row, so remove it and everything will run, Front Row 2 plays back Video_TS folders

post #456 of 499 Old 10-09-2007, 12:16 PM

Whoa is right!
I will surely give this a try... it's just so simple, it just might work!
i will post back as soon as i try it.
Thanks!
post #457 of 499 Old 10-09-2007, 12:53 PM

Liked: 11
In the revision history where it mentions testing on Leopard is over a year old. That is a very old build of Leopard that did not have the new version of Front Row. It is no longer compatible with Front Row 2.0 and is no longer needed. Front Row 2.0 now plays Video_TS folders. Just put them in your Movies folder and browse them from the Movies component in Front Row.
post #458 of 499 Old 10-10-2007, 07:26 AM

Thank you Jordy and Jason...
With all the trial and error i did, i forgot what i tried and what errored
I in fact did try and play the VIDEO_TS folder before posting to this message board, but it did not work the first time. It still doesn't work with the first movie i tried, but it does work with another movie. I guess there is something wrong with the rip of the first movie. I willl try and rip again and report back.

On another note, does anyone know if i can get DD5.1 and DTS using Front Row? have not tried it yet, but i know that once i connect the toslink to my mac, a digital output option will be available under preferences, but will this play the movies in DD 5.1 or DTS if i should choose?

Also, what kind of setups do most people have using Front Row? i am seriously considering getting a Mac Mini to use strictly as a media center appliance, and do some occasional web browsing and check email (as a novelty, of course) from my big screen... any experience with this type of setup? are there any other cool features available?

Thanks for the help and any information chaps!
post #459 of 499 Old 10-10-2007, 07:42 AM

I'm glad you have it up and running. I personally have my Video_TS files on an external HD on the network and use SymbolicLinker installed on my Mac to see them in Front Row. The netork is gigabit ethernet and runs fine without any slow down (100bit is also fine).

A Mac mini works very well on a large screen, it is capable of out putting a resolution of up 1080 and you will be able to get your digital sound out to your Amp to. I haven't been able to test whether you can get DD or DTS from a Mac, but the Video_TS file will have the DD and DTS sounds tracks inside it so there is no reason why it wouldn't stream the sound out to your Amp in full 5.1 or 6.1 glory. I'll be interested to hear the results of your test.

I'm sure I read somewhere on Apple's site you can get 5.1 out via the optical out.
post #460 of 499 Old 10-10-2007, 10:55 AM

Yes, you can listen to DD or DTS via Front Row. You do, however, need to set DVD Player to use digital out as its sound output first since DVD Player is the playback engine Front Row uses for DVD media.
post #461 of 499 Old 10-10-2007, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason75 View Post

Yes, you can listen to DD or DTS via Front Row. You do, however, need to set DVD Player to use digital out as its sound output first since DVD Player is the playback engine Front Row uses for DVD media.

More correctly, Front Row uses the same preferences as the DVD Player. Front Row uses the same lower level framework for playback as the DVD Player.

Kevin

-- Kevin Arnold
-- CouchPotato Software Engineer
-- High Tech Luddite searching for simpler times...
-- My job IS my hobbie :D

HT Equipment
My HomePage
post #462 of 499 Old 10-11-2007, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imlucid View Post

More correctly, Front Row uses the same preferences as the DVD Player. Front Row uses the same lower level framework for playback as the DVD Player.

Kevin

That's right, thankfully FrontRow 2.0 uses the same DVDPlayback.framework as the DVD Player application to play VIDEO_TS folders, rather than the useless QuickTime player which cannot do multiple audio tracks, or proper subtitles, or proper surround sound.

Ironically, because of the inadequacies of QuickTime, you would get better results converting a DivX which includes subtitles, multiple audio tracks, etc. to a DVD, than playing it directly as a DivX. This is not the fault of the DivX codec, but is due to the current limitations of QuickTime. VLC is way ahead of QuickTime at doing all this.

Unfortunately, according the the Apple website, Leopard is going to ship with the same QuickTime 7.2 version as is current in Tiger, so we are not going to see any improvements yet.

Note: Even buying the MPEG2 codec for QuickTime does not help, Perian does help but is still hamstrung by QuickTime.

Its a shame, because QuickTime is overall still an excellent set of software, and a shame because one would normally associate Macs with being excellent at multimedia.
post #463 of 499 Old 10-11-2007, 03:28 PM

I tried a search but came up with nothing. I am using DVD assist with front row on my imac. Now I was wondering if anyone is using this with apple tv? I know the specs say it can play .mov files, and that it can play your home videos. Since the alias file is in your home movies, I was wondering if anyone has tried this yet. I may have to pick one up at Costco and give it a try.

Thanks,
Art
post #464 of 499 Old 10-12-2007, 01:57 AM

Currently the only decent way to playback Video_TS on an AppleTV box is to install NitoTV:

http://plugins.awkwardtv.org/det.php?p=nitoTV
post #465 of 499 Old 10-12-2007, 09:48 AM

Hey guys,
Thanks for all your help... i still have to do my testing regarding Front Row 2 and whether it would be a good solution to replace my current Media Center 2005 setup... as it stands, there is no real advantage to using Front Row 2 over Media Center... is there?
Since i got my MacBook, i have been all mac, all the time... This is why I am considering getting a Mini to run as my media center... well, that and the fact that i am looking for a new way to burn money that i don't really have! ;-)
post #466 of 499 Old 10-15-2007, 01:41 AM

Okay, well I managed to do some testing this weekend with a Friends Mac mini and Front Row 2. All Video_TS files played back and all output the correct DD or DTS sound track to the Amp. The TV resolution was set to 1080 and looked great even in a non upscaled state, sending the video signal through the Amp and upscaling from there did make a difference but it did depend on the quality of the original DVD from which the Video_TS file was taken.

Benifits over Windows Media? Well you get access to all of iTunes including TV shows, Posdcast, your Music and the Rumour HD Movie content soon to be available tomr the ITMS. You also get all your iPhoto albums on screen as well. Also in my WMC experience it is prone to glitches from time to time.

Apart from that Windows Media Center is a good bit of kit, I just like Front Row a whole lot more. Opinions will always vary.
post #467 of 499 Old 10-16-2007, 10:56 AM

Jordy, YOU DA MAN!
Thank you for the testing and report... very informative!
Results are exactly what i am looking for... Front Row 2 is looking more and more attractive with a Mac Mini...
Three more questions if i may:
  1. Can you please elaborate on the upscaling you mentioned? I have wanted to implement something like this on my WMC but never got it working correctly...
  2. Can Front Row 2 play .TS files (or any other HD filetype)?
  3. Is Front Row 2 available as a standalone install?

Thank you!!
post #468 of 499 Old 10-16-2007, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetWorkS View Post

Jordy, YOU DA MAN!
Is Front Row 2 available as a standalone install?

No. It is only available with Leopard (and requires Leopard).

Kevin

-- Kevin Arnold
-- CouchPotato Software Engineer
-- High Tech Luddite searching for simpler times...
-- My job IS my hobbie :D

HT Equipment
My HomePage
post #469 of 499 Old 10-17-2007, 02:26 AM

1) The upsacaling I mentioned was to run the video via DVI/HDMI converter form the Mac through the HDMI input on the AMP. The AMP upscales the video to 1080p via the HDMI output into the TV/Projector.

2) I'm not sure if I have tested other .TS files before, but there is always a chance it may work. If not you could always convert them with Handbreak. There is a quicktime codec that can be downloaded that handles HD .mkv files a google search will turn this up for you. Having these codecs installed in the Library/Quicktime folder may mean Front Row has access to them. I haven't tested this I'm afraid.

3) Front Row 2 is currently Leopard only. When an updated to Front Row is posted you may be able to download it from Apples website and install it in a way to Andrew Escobar's method: http://andrewescobar.com/frontrow.

Hope that helps
post #470 of 499 Old 10-17-2007, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordy15675 View Post

Currently the only decent way to playback Video_TS on an AppleTV box is to install NitoTV:

http://plugins.awkwardtv.org/det.php?p=nitoTV

Kind of like the way front row does not playback Video_TS files? That is why we use DVDAssist. On the apple site it claims that apple tv plays .mov files. With DVDAssist isn't front row tricked into thinking that the Video_TS file is a .mov file. Do you think this would work with AppleTV? Technically it will look in your movie folder and see the alias to your movies as a .mov file. I think it will work, but I could be wrong. I am heading to Costco this evening and may purchase one just to do some experimenting.

Thanks,
Art
post #471 of 499 Old 10-17-2007, 02:28 PM

Jordy,
Thanks for the info...
A little dissapointed cause I was looking for a way to upconvert the signal before it is output to the TV... i don't have one of those fancy amps you mentioned, unless you know of another hardware solution (with a reasonable pricetag) that could do this without getting a new amp...
I will test the .TS files when i get a chance and report back...
Thanks for the help!
post #472 of 499 Old 10-20-2007, 06:06 PM

I wrote an applescript that automatically makes DVD assist aliases. I assumes two things.

1) Start the Movie.mov lives in the User's Movies folder
2) You want to create an alias in a folder called DVDs in the User's Movies folder

You drag and drop a Folder "My Movie Name" containing a VIDEO_TS folder to the droplet.
The app copies Start the Movie.mov to that VIDEO_TS folder.
The app renames the copy to the Folder's name "My Movie Name".
The app creates an alias to the movie and places it in "DVDs" in the User's Movies Folder.

You can drop any number of Folders onto the droplet and it should process all the folders automatically. However, if the alias already exists, or the copied version of Start the Movie exists, the droplet will stop processing...

Hope other people find this useful!

Create DVD Alias.zip 19.9755859375k . file
post #473 of 499 Old 10-21-2007, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by philliptiongson View Post

I wrote an applescript that automatically makes DVD assist aliases. ...

Will you make the source available?

Craig
post #474 of 499 Old 10-21-2007, 10:17 AM

The source is already available in the applet posted. Just open it within Script Editor.
post #475 of 499 Old 10-30-2007, 03:18 PM

First off, a warm thanks to Squished Squirre for the DVD Assist app. I've been using it for a while to mount ISO files in Front Row. I've always been a lurker on this helpful site and have finally found myself stuck enough to ask for help.

Recently, I decide to take the Mini to a new level and add Remote Buddy to help out with other aps. It has the option to launch a file from it's overlay application. Unfortunately, it only allows it to be opened with diskimagemounter or disk utility. The same occurs if I use finder. I feel like I'm out of options trying to get my system to launch ISO files with DVD Assist.
Attempts so far:

1. Changing the "Open With" for the file
2. Changing the "always open with" for the file
3. Downloading the utility rcdefaultapp and using it to change the default app for ISO files.

Every time it seems to default back to diskimagemounter/disk utility. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance.

-Bryan
post #476 of 499 Old 11-07-2007, 08:58 AM

I've been using DVD Assist in OS X Tiger and it worked great. I know that people are excited that Front Row 2 in Leopard now plays Video_TS folders natively but I would still like to use DVD Assist because it gives me the flexibility to add tags to the startthemovie.mov file so that my movie folders have the same look and feel of other Front Row 2 movies (image fades back and movie information is shown below the image).

However, now when I click on one of the movies alias that is in the Movie folder, Front Row 2 quits and I'm back at my desktop. I can see that DVD Player is active on the dock but I need to click on it to have the movie shown in full screen. I have looked at the DVD Player preferences and clicked on play full screen but it doesn't seem to work. Any help would be appreciated.
post #477 of 499 Old 11-10-2007, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

Well, it has only been a FEW months since I have spent any time with DVD Assist, and now with Leopard, I'm not sure if there really is much call to update it for 10.5.

trugel: If you just click on DVD Player, does it immediately pop to the front and show the movie?
post #478 of 499 Old 11-11-2007, 02:17 PM

Just place a picture of your DVD box called:
preview.jpg

Example:

BATMAN_1
preview.jpg
VIDEO_TS
AUDIO_TS

Have Fun!
post #479 of 499 Old 11-12-2007, 08:11 AM

Squished Squire: Yes.
post #480 of 499 Old 03-13-2008, 05:38 PM

Mr. Squirrel,

I recently upgraded to Leopard and my .iso setup doesn't work exactly. I can hear the DVD playing in the DVD Player, but Front Row is still active. I'm no script writer, but I believe the part of the DVDAssist script that tells FR to quit is broken due to the fact that FR is now an "app" in the Applications folder and no longer part of "Core Services" as in Tiger.

Is this a simple fix, can it be fixed or is DVDAssist not being updated anymore? Any info would be helpful.

bootx
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page