Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 499 Old 09-09-2006, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychotwo View Post

Never mind... late night last night Just realized I wasn't putting the movies in the Video_TS folder! Thanks for everything, works great...

Excellent! That was going to drive me nuts. I don't have an Intel Mac to test on yet, so I was going to drag everything over to Fry's come Monday to make sure it worked.

I'd like to get a little better feel on how stable it is before I set up a web page for it... and... gulp... announce it on Versiontracker and Macupdate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 499 Old 09-09-2006, 04:02 PM

One thing... I am not sure if this is the intent or not but when I hit menu again it goes to frontrow and doesn't quit dvd player. Is that how it is suppose to work?

BTW I would say this is worthy of versiontracker. Also I would post it on 123macmini.com in there HTPC section and get some feedback.
post #93 of 499 Old 09-09-2006, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychotwo View Post

One thing... I am not sure if this is the intent or not but when I hit menu again it goes to frontrow and doesn't quit dvd player. Is that how it is suppose to work?

BTW I would say this is worthy of versiontracker. Also I would post it on 123macmini.com in there HTPC section and get some feedback.

Unfortunately, not quitting DVD player is intended. The problem I run into is that the more that is done in the background, the more likely playback of non-DVD movies (like MPEG4, Divx, H.264) will have pauses while playing. So, I do the absolute minimum possible... check to see if Front Row has one of our placeholder movies open.

I think I have seen an article on 123macmini... but I don't know how much attention it got.
post #94 of 499 Old 09-10-2006, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just wanted to say a heartfelt thank you to Squished Squirre. I've gone from wanting to use my Mac Mini as headless iTunes server ASAP, to never wanting to detach it from the monitor again.

Between DVD Assist and the brilliant French Maids Video Podcast (just check out Episode 1), Front Row is now a priceless app.

Going back to DVD assist, it seems to me the logical thing to replace Start the Movie.mov with is the actual preview of the DVD in question in .MOV format. (Probably a short teaser-trailer would be better). With a little work on the user's part this could be a majorly cool thing.

I wonder if DVD Assist will push Apple into rolling out their own built in solution for front row...
post #95 of 499 Old 09-10-2006, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Todorov View Post

Just wanted to say a heartfelt thank you to Squished Squirre.

I'd like to reiterate how much I also appreciate this app's availability. It can be frustrating to see new posters adding comment after comment that start with "Nice app, but you know what would make it perfect for me..."

SS fixed a MAJOR omission in Front Row's development that people have been rightfully complaining about since FR was first introduced. Yet there seems to be a constant pressure to refine this piece of freeware to the personal tastes of each individual user. It seems like a chronic case of looking into the gifthorse's mouth.

IMO, SS has been amazingly patient with people bascially telling him his hard work has resulted in an app that falls short of their expectations.

The title of thread says it all: "VIDEO_TS playback for Front Row". Aside from stability issues, this mission has been accomplished. If you're forced into developing support for ISO files, other disk images, perfecting cover art, individual trailers for each preview(?!?!?!), just develop it as a second, premium feature-enhanced app.

And the last stable versionof DVD Assist (before the disk image introduction) is DEFINITELY ready for VersionTracker and MacUpdate for at least $5...I'd lean towards $10 since you literally have no competition. Enhaced with all of the gilding mentioned above, the premium standalone sounds like a $15-$20 bargain to a guy who buys shareware from indie developers like you on a regular basis. Consider Leopard will have a new version of FR that could fix this omission...reward your hard work while you can.

At this point, it sounds like I'm working on commision. But the reailty is, this program completes my Mac HD PVR set-up and I'm very grateful for someone finally stepping up.

On behalf of all the guys in the same spot before your arrival, Cheers!
post #96 of 499 Old 09-10-2006, 08:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcrash View Post

I'd like to reiterate how much I also appreciate this app's availability. It can be frustrating to see new posters adding comment after comment that start with "Nice app, but you know what would make it perfect for me..."

SS fixed a MAJOR omission in Front Row's development that people have been rightfully complaining about since FR was first introduced. Yet there seems to be a constant pressure to refine this piece of freeware to the personal tastes of each individual user. It seems like a chronic case of looking into the gifthorse's mouth.

IMO, SS has been amazingly patient with people bascially telling him his hard work has resulted in an app that falls short of their expectations.

The title of thread says it all: "VIDEO_TS playback for Front Row". Aside from stability issues, this mission has been accomplished. If you're forced into developing support for ISO files, other disk images, perfecting cover art, individual trailers for each preview(?!?!?!), just develop it as a second, premium feature-enhanced app.

And the last stable versionof DVD Assist (before the disk image introduction) is DEFINITELY ready for VersionTracker and MacUpdate for at least $5...I'd lean towards $10 since you literally have no competition. Enhaced with all of the gilding mentioned above, the premium standalone sounds like a $15-$20 bargain to a guy who buys shareware from indie developers like you on a regular basis. Consider Leopard will have a new version of FR that could fix this omission...reward your hard work while you can.

At this point, it sounds like I'm working on commision. But the reailty is, this program completes my Mac HD PVR set-up and I'm very grateful for someone finally stepping up.

On behalf of all the guys in the same spot before your arrival, Cheers!

100% agree with the evaluation of DVD Assist. SS, if you go shareware, I'll Paypal you for sure!

If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.

post #97 of 499 Old 09-10-2006, 03:59 PM

I posted a quick notice about DVD Assist on my blog and threw a video up on YouTube showing the transition from EyeTV 2.3 -> Front Row -> Apple DVD Player running a VIDEO_TS folder and back to EyeTV. Hopefully, it will demonstrate how useful this little app can be in a Mac Media Center set-up!

Here it is.
post #98 of 499 Old 09-10-2006, 04:09 PM

@jwcrash

As one of those new posters, I have to say I agree with you. I feel I was too harsh asking for new features when, before this program came out, I wouldn't have been able to play video_ts files in Front Row. I suppose it's just coming from a MCE2005 and My Movies (which DVD Assist feels a bit like) background that made me want something approaching that level of integration. I realise that we're all dependent on Squished Squirre's goodwill, effort and coding for what is, in essence, an oversight by Apple. So I apologise for my harsh previous post.

It also sure beats paying $29 for Media-central for something that's not much more polished and with this solution at least you get a dedicated DVD player which, in some ways, is more flexible. So, to reiterate part of my first post, I'd be more then willing to pay $5-10 for a basic version like jwcrash wrote.
post #99 of 499 Old 09-11-2006, 07:29 AM

Hats-off to you, Squished. A beacon of the Mac community. And to you, jwcrash for the well-worded and illustrated blog entry.

http://digg.com/apple/How_to_Play_Ri...s_in_Front_Row
post #100 of 499 Old 09-11-2006, 08:57 AM

Getting the Digg listing is pushing my weak Dreamhost server to the limit (not that I'm complaining, of course).

Here's a direct YouTube link so you can bypass any loading waits at my site:

DVD Assist @ YouTube
post #101 of 499 Old 09-13-2006, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Version 1.4.1 is almost ready for general consumption, along with a new homepage for it.

It fixes the slow switching of ISO images, and adds some other error checking to play better with Front Row 1.3.
post #102 of 499 Old 09-13-2006, 05:54 PM

Great. Thanks for the update SS. Looking forward to it. I actually converted all my folders to iso images. It took a while, but I can now enjoy zoom presets for all movies. Very nice! We really do appreciate all that you do for this community.
post #103 of 499 Old 09-13-2006, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

post #104 of 499 Old 09-14-2006, 08:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squished Squirre View Post

Page is up...

http://www.moonlightmac.com/Projects.html

I'm probably one of the first (and hopefully not the last!!!) to donate! Congrats and many thanks!!!!

If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.

post #105 of 499 Old 09-14-2006, 08:16 AM

That's a nice simply web page. Looks good. Did you make the icon yourself?

I've heard that the latest Front Row update allowed playback of VIDEO_TS? I assume this person was mistaken?

/marketing hat on/
By the way, you should submit this thread and links to the AVS Admin people so they put on the front page. It's certainly AVS Forum news-worthy and the Mac guy from AVS Radio would love this.

Might also consider adding a quick walkthrough on the website or at least link to the Mr. Obsession blog as a "testimonial" or something. http://www.mrobsession.com/mac-front-row-video_ts/

/marketing hat off/
post #106 of 499 Old 09-14-2006, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubavs View Post

I'm probably one of the first (and hopefully not the last!!!) to donate!

I'm either right in front or right behind you at Paypal...either way, happy to finally be contributing towards a Mini for SS!
post #107 of 499 Old 09-14-2006, 08:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Hey SS! Are you a member of ADC? Put DVD Assist up on the Apple Downloads page... you'll be able to buy a Mac Pro w/30" cinema display!!

post #108 of 499 Old 09-14-2006, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I'm probably one of the first (and hopefully not the last!!!) to donate! Congrats and many thanks!!!!

Many thanks for your donation! If version 1.4.1 has been stable for everyone, I'll go ahead and open the floodgates and put it on MacUpdate... and eventually Versiontracker (although I am still a bit mad at them.)
post #109 of 499 Old 09-14-2006, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Hey SS! Are you a member of ADC? Put DVD Assist up on the Apple Downloads page... you'll be able to buy a Mac Pro w/30" cinema display!!

Just a free member. My buddy is an ADC dev... HE is the one who got the stinkin G5 and 30" display earlier this year.... the butthead ;-)
post #110 of 499 Old 09-14-2006, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I'm either right in front or right behind you at Paypal...either way, happy to finally be contributing towards a Mini for SS!

Thanks, much appreciated! I can link to your blog if you like.
post #111 of 499 Old 09-14-2006, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stecchino View Post

That's a nice simply web page. Looks good. Did you make the icon yourself?

I've heard that the latest Front Row update allowed playback of VIDEO_TS? I assume this person was mistaken?

/marketing hat on/
By the way, you should submit this thread and links to the AVS Admin people so they put on the front page. It's certainly AVS Forum news-worthy and the Mac guy from AVS Radio would love this.

Might also consider adding a quick walkthrough on the website or at least link to the Mr. Obsession blog as a "testimonial" or something. http://www.mrobsession.com/mac-front-row-video_ts/

/marketing hat off/

The icon was made from a stock photo and turned into an icon with Iconographer.

I don't see any VIDEO_TS support in Front Row 1.3, other than what all the other versions of Front Row had... namely if you had the Apple MPEG2 plugin installed, you could play the VOB files, but you wouldn't get audio, no menus, and it wouldn't play the VOBs sequentially.

I would think with the hit count on the thread growing at the rate it is, AVS admins will judge for themselves if it is worthy ;-)

A link to the blog is a possibility if jwc wants it.
post #112 of 499 Old 09-15-2006, 04:05 AM

Can't get to the download. Do you need a bigger server t handle all the good traffic???
post #113 of 499 Old 09-15-2006, 04:54 AM

On moonlightmac.com, the download link seems to be broken! I just donated as well through PayPal. Excellent work on this script.

Andrew S. Mansfield
post #114 of 499 Old 09-15-2006, 08:23 AM

Quote:

Unfortunately, not quitting DVD player is intended. The problem I run into is that the more that is done in the background, the more likely playback of non-DVD movies (like MPEG4, Divx, H.264) will have pauses while playing. So, I do the absolute minimum possible... check to see if Front Row has one of our placeholder movies open.

I think I have seen an article on 123macmini... but I don't know how much attention it got.

Hi , first of all let me say what a neat app this is - I have one problem though with DVD player not quitting when front row is active. If you are using this in conjunction with EyeTV in full screen mode it does not work properly. When you exit out of front row it goes back to the display of the mini , if the DVD player is not active it will go back to the full screen menu of EyeTV (this is what I want to happen) but as the dvd player is still open it just displays the DVD player on top with the EyeTv window behind it causing a trip to the keyboard to quit DVD player.. any ideas ?
post #115 of 499 Old 09-15-2006, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpc'd View Post

Can't get to the download. Do you need a bigger server t handle all the good traffic???

Nahh... I goofed when I added the link to jwc's page, and broke the link to the download. It is fixed now.

Thanks!
post #116 of 499 Old 09-15-2006, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswm View Post

On moonlightmac.com, the download link seems to be broken! I just donated as well through PayPal. Excellent work on this script.

Yep, I broke the link tinkering with the page, thanks for catching it!

It should be fine now.... and many thanks for the donation!
post #117 of 499 Old 09-15-2006, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitah View Post

Hi , first of all let me say what a neat app this is - I have one problem though with DVD player not quitting when front row is active. If you are using this in conjunction with EyeTV in full screen mode it does not work properly. When you exit out of front row it goes back to the display of the mini , if the DVD player is not active it will go back to the full screen menu of EyeTV (this is what I want to happen) but as the dvd player is still open it just displays the DVD player on top with the EyeTv window behind it causing a trip to the keyboard to quit DVD player.. any ideas ?

I hate to impose on jwcrash, but since I don't have an EyeTV, maybe he has an idea. In his youtube presentation, he switches back from DVD player to EyeTV (Not from Front Row to EyeTV).

jwcrash, any ideas? Does the same happen for you?

One thing you might try is while you are in Front Row, go to one of your VIDEO_TS movies, and let it play the preview (Don't click on it to start it playing full screen, just let it show you the preview off to the side for a few seconds.) This will quit out of DVD player, since I quit it while it is previewing.

Then, exit out of Front Row from there.

(For reasons somewhat complex to explain, I don't quit out of DVD Player at other times.)
post #118 of 499 Old 09-15-2006, 11:19 AM

Quote:

I hate to impose on jwcrash, but since I don't have an EyeTV, maybe he has an idea. In his youtube presentation, he switches back from DVD player to EyeTV (Not from Front Row to EyeTV).

jwcrash, any ideas?

None that are going to make people happy, I'm afraid. I'm manually quitting out of the DVD Player with a macro command on my universal remote that sends the "Quit App" command via a Keyspan IR receiver to my Mini. It's the only time I have to put down the Apple Remote during the process, but couldn't find any other way to move between the DVD player and EyeTV without running into the wall that the DVD app becomes.

Otherwise, it is impossible to move past the inactive DVD Player to re-access EyeTV with a basic Apple Remote. I know adding "Quit DVD Playeer" functionality is mentioned more than once in the posts above, but I definitely heard SS when he expressed the difficulty involved in implimenting it.

So my best advice is trying third-party Apple Remote software (Sofa Control, Remote Buddy, etc.) that opens up the remote's capabilities and could easily be set to send the commands you need.

post #119 of 499 Old 09-15-2006, 11:24 AM

I have ts movies on my imac...ihave dvd assist on my mini connected to hdtv...for some reason front row does not "see" the shared movies on the imac...am I missing someting...dvd assist is running on both
post #120 of 499 Old 09-15-2006, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

None that are going to make people happy, I'm afraid. I'm manually quitting out of the DVD Player with a macro command on my universal remote that sends the "Quit App" command via a Keyspan IR receiver to my Mini. It's the only time I have to put down the Apple Remote during the process, but couldn't find any other way to move between the DVD player and EyeTV without running into the wall that the DVD app becomes.

Otherwise, it is impossible to move past the inactive DVD Player to re-access EyeTV with a basic Apple Remote. I know adding "Quit DVD Playeer" functionality is mentioned more than once in the posts above, but I definitely heard SS when he expressed the difficulty involved in implimenting it.

So my best advice is trying third-party Apple Remote software (Sofa Control, Remote Buddy, etc.) that opens up the remote's capabilities and could easily be set to send the commands you need.

I edited the message above with a possible work around.
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page