DVD Assist - VIDEO_TS playback for Front Row - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 499 Old 10-11-2006, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I cannot seem to get the iso support to work properly. I have followed the instructions and have toast 7.1 installed. I am running 10.4.8 and DVDAssist 1.4.3. Basically it will mount the dvd fine, at that point the dvd player will claim that it is an unsupported format. However, FrontRow recognizes it as a DVD. Is there anything I am missing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 499 Old 10-11-2006, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychotwo View Post

I cannot seem to get the iso support to work properly. I have followed the instructions and have toast 7.1 installed. I am running 10.4.8 and DVDAssist 1.4.3. Basically it will mount the dvd fine, at that point the dvd player will claim that it is an unsupported format. However, FrontRow recognizes it as a DVD. Is there anything I am missing?

Most likely a problem that I have encountered before. On some machines, Front Row refuses to quit. Since Front Row doesn't quit, it takes over control of playback of the DVD image, and DVD Player is left in the background wondering what the heck is going on.

I'll put up a 1.4.4 version that is a little more forceful at quitting Front Row.
post #183 of 499 Old 10-14-2006, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squished Squirre View Post

You can create your own Zoom presets in DVD Player, although you can't toggle through them with the Apple Remote.

I know this is a late entry taken from the first page but I am trying to wrap my head around the zoom controls and find some kind of consistency. What I have found so far is that I can create a preset, save it, and it will only be visible when that particular movie is open that it was created for. Another words, it will not be seen globally. Another thing I have found is that if I open a movie that has zoom applied, close out of it, open a new one that has not been played before, it will default to the previous zoom setting.

Have you found it to work differently? If so, can you let me know how yours is working?

Quote:

Most likely a problem that I have encountered before. On some machines, Front Row refuses to quit. Since Front Row doesn't quit, it takes over control of playback of the DVD image, and DVD Player is left in the background wondering what the heck is going on.

I'll put up a 1.4.4 version that is a little more forceful at quitting Front Row.

I figured out what I was doing wrong and it had to do with the way I was creating my iso's. They were not UDF format. It is working as expected now...

However I would like to have a version that addresses a stronger implementation of quitting front row. I use Remote Buddy (awesome app BTW), but when I start a dvd it does not quit front row. I have to manually quit front row through remote buddy before I can control DVD Player.

PS Thanks for all the hard work!
post #184 of 499 Old 10-14-2006, 09:11 PM

Squished Squirre,

Wanted to follow-up after successfully running this for a while now. I noticed that DVD Assist while running in the background causes pans on Apple DVD Player not to be smooth. Playback becomes somewhat choppy. You can test this by playing Star Wars Revenge of the Sith at the very beginning opening sequence with the Jedi Starfighters.

I also noticed that when playing H264 movies I have purchased from iTunes store are also choppy during pans with DVD Assist in the background.

This happens on my MBP, Mac mini and older PowerMac so I know it is not isolated. I was able to solve the problem during DVD playback by modifying your script to quit DVD Assist, right after the quit application "Front Row" entry. This of course, makes DVD Assist quit before DVD Player starts. I then re-launch it after quitting DVD Player and before launching Front Row again via iKey script automation.

I am wondering if I am the only one having this problem? Can someone else test this? Oh yes, by the way, I am using DVD Assist with DVD images.

Thanks.
post #185 of 499 Old 10-14-2006, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post

Squished Squirre,

Wanted to follow-up after successfully running this for a while now. I noticed that DVD Assist while running in the background causes pans on Apple DVD Player not to be smooth. Playback becomes somewhat choppy. You can test this by playing Star Wars Revenge of the Sith at the very beginning opening sequence with the Jedi Starfighters.

I also noticed that when playing H264 movies I have purchased from iTunes store are also choppy during pans with DVD Assist in the background.

This happens on my MBP, Mac mini and older PowerMac so I know it is not isolated. I was able to solve the problem during DVD playback by modifying your script to quit DVD Assist, right after the quit application "Front Row" entry. This of course, makes DVD Assist quit before DVD Player starts. I then re-launch it after quitting DVD Player and before launching Front Row again via iKey script automation.

I am wondering if I am the only one having this problem? Can someone else test this? Oh yes, by the way, I am using DVD Assist with DVD images.

Thanks.

Can you post other examples of dvd's with this problem and where to look for it in the dvd (incase no one has the dvd you are using for example).

Also what are the specs on your mini? I have a 1.66 and am not noticing anything like this.
post #186 of 499 Old 10-14-2006, 10:42 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I have a 1.66 Dual Core Mac mini, 1GB RAM, 100GB drive.

Here is one a lot of people most likely have:

King Kong (part where the camera pans through ancient city where they first encounter cannibals).

It actually happens on all DVD images I have. Pick a movie on your collection and look for scenes where camera pans from left to right, from right to left, from up to down, and down and up. Are yours smooth?

I noted that I get this not just on Mac mini, but my 2Ghz MBP, 1.5GB RAM, 80GB drive.

The iTunes videos I get choppy pans are:

Dora the Explorer, the opening sequence when camera zooms all over the room towards green computer monitor. My son noticed it too!

Little Einsteins opening sequence when they fly their big rocket ship and camera pans from left to right.

Battlestar Galactica Episodes - Again, when camera pans in different directions.

At first I thought maybe it has to do with the fact that I am using iso (UDF) images as opposed to VIDEO_TS folders, but it also happens on those h264 movies that I bought from iTunes store.

As I mentioned, if I quit DVD Assist by modifying the script right after quitting Front Row and before DVD Player starts, I get smooth pans again! No issues at all. Very strange.

I guess I can live with it by doing this on archived DVD's, but I don't know how to fix it on those h264 movies from iTunes. Maybe it's related to that pause issue on previews that was going on before? Not sure?
post #187 of 499 Old 10-15-2006, 05:33 AM

At 13,000+ views, here's to hoping everyone is remembering the Paypal donation link SS set up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #188 of 499 Old 10-15-2006, 09:43 AM

If everyone contributes only $1, that would be $13K.
post #189 of 499 Old 10-15-2006, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Squished Squirre,

Thanks.

The big time hog is the shell command "lsof" (List of Open Files). It hogs the cpu for a bit to gather the info I need to find out what Front Row is doing.

What version are you using? 1.4.3 doesn't even use the lsof check unless front row is in front... it should be very well behaved in the background of DVD Player. My original platform was a 1.5Ghz G4, and I kept tinkering until an H.264, MPEG4 and DVD would all play smooth. (I used a pan in a South Park MPEG4, and playback of a MPEG2 file as a test. At the time they were the pickiest.)

All that is left is to make this entirely a shell script, so that Applescript isn't involved at all in the "check" part. That's what I'm working towards.
post #190 of 499 Old 10-15-2006, 11:22 AM

I am running 1.4.3......thanks for the update on the "check" part. I am surprised though that nobody else has reported this. The only difference maybe for me is that I use iKey to automate scripts and commands.

For example, to exit out of DVD Player, I have programmed a key on my Harmony Remote Control, which basically presses a key from airboard keyboard to do the following for quitting DVD Player:

press Apple Key + e (to eject DVD Image)
quit application dvd player
lauch application DVD Assist
hide application DVD Assist
press Apple Key + Esc (to launch Front Row)

I don't think that's it though since I have the problem without iKey and just lauching DVD Assist and Frontrow manually.
post #191 of 499 Old 10-15-2006, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Here is another version. Not sure it will help you Vertigo, I haven't had time this weekend to switch to a shell driven idle loop rather than a Applescript driven idle loop.

This adds support for transport stream playback with VLC, and trys a little harder to quit out of Front Row, which crops up now and then for some. Also, a background only version for those that don't want an icon in their dock at all.

(Link removed, see first post for current version.)

Try it, and let me know what happens... it isn't linked from the webpage yet.
post #192 of 499 Old 10-15-2006, 03:46 PM

Wow, thank you so much. I will give it a try. ts playback now, unbelievable. I really appreciate it all your help.
post #193 of 499 Old 10-15-2006, 04:31 PM

Sweet additions...the .ts support works as advertised for me in VLC! Thanks. Again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #194 of 499 Old 10-15-2006, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm... I didn't even think about the possibility of someone not having VLC and running this version. So... for those that try and run it without VLC, I know it will ask you where VLC is... I'll fix it.
post #195 of 499 Old 10-15-2006, 07:54 PM

OK, pans are definetly much better on the new version (about 80% there). I think I can live with it since it only happens on h264 movies (since I modified script to quit DVD Assist), which are less in quanity than my dvd archives.

Yeah, I noticed the VLC prompt, but installed it to make it go away.

jwcrash, how is ts playback on VLC for you? Are you on a mini or other hardware?
post #196 of 499 Old 10-16-2006, 10:48 AM

Quote:

jwcrash, how is ts playback on VLC for you? Are you on a mini or other hardware?

Getting excellent playback of my .ts files in VLC launched via DVD Assist. I use a Core Duo Mini and have EyeTV successfully recording two shows behind VLC. The only apps ever running are EyeTV, DVD Assist, and FR when I need it, so that may affect my playback ability.

The only drawback is VLC's WEAK feature set for playing back .ts files when compared to EyeTV's options (jump forward and back, ff/rewind, etc.). It's also a PITA to get VLC to playback Digital Audio, but much better than not being able to play them back at all.

post #197 of 499 Old 10-16-2006, 01:47 PM

I seem to have a weird problem where vlc will not open in full screen. I have it set to full screen and I assume it is in the script as well. Any ideas as to why?
post #198 of 499 Old 10-16-2006, 01:54 PM

Quote:

I seem to have a weird problem where vlc will not open in full screen. I have it set to full screen and I assume it is in the script as well. Any ideas as to why?

I ran into this same problem. Just uncheck Fullscreen Playback in your VLC Preferences...I think having the command in both places (DVD Assist & VLC Preferences) cancels it out. Runs without trouble for me now.

If that doesn't fix it, post back!

post #199 of 499 Old 10-16-2006, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcrash View Post

I ran into this same problem. Just uncheck Fullscreen Playback in your VLC Preferences...I think having the command in both places (DVD Assist & VLC Preferences) cancels it out. Runs without trouble for me now.

If that doesn't fix it, post back!

Worked like a charm! Thanks!
post #200 of 499 Old 10-16-2006, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Here is another version. Not sure it will help you Vertigo, I haven't had time this weekend to switch to a shell driven idle loop rather than a Applescript driven idle loop.

This adds support for transport stream playback with VLC, and trys a little harder to quit out of Front Row, which crops up now and then for some. Also, a background only version for those that don't want an icon in their dock at all.

Amazing. When I do get my HT reassembled this Fall I can't wait to use this feature. Thanks.
post #201 of 499 Old 10-16-2006, 08:20 PM

Thanks for the new version Squished Squirre. Now that it runs in the background, it's now perfect for me. I can run it as a login item and not worry about it. Also thanks for keeping the updates coming - this piece of software was well worth a donation.

Regards

Paul W
post #202 of 499 Old 10-16-2006, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Worked like a charm! Thanks!

Have I ever told how much I dislike the Applescript support in VLC?

Yep, fullscreen is a toggle in VLC, there is no (easy?) way to tell if it is allready fullscreen or not.
post #203 of 499 Old 10-19-2006, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

OK, yet another version to tinker with. This one checks to see if you have VLC so as not to get that dreaded "Please locate...." nonsense for those that don't.

Ohh... jwcrash, take a look in the "Other Stuff" folder.

(Link removed, see first post for current version.)
post #204 of 499 Old 10-19-2006, 01:09 PM

Quote:

Ohh... jwcrash, take a look in the "Other Stuff" folder.[/url]

Sweet feature that negates about five button clicks...SS added a placeholder movie that launches EyeTV from inside Front Row's Movie Folder.

It's FAST - I didn't even see the movie during the transition. And an awesome side effect (in 2.3.0) is you end back up on the Front Row menu shortcut, just in case you clicked the wrong movie.

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but SS has been updating and refining this app with a lot more frequency than most apps I've paid for. To that end, consider sending a donation SS's way.

Thank you. For the fifth time.

post #205 of 499 Old 10-19-2006, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcrash View Post

It's FAST - I didn't even see the movie during the transition.

Tee hee... the "Activate EyeTV" movie IS the transition. It is a screenshot of the EyeTV menu with "Loading..." photoshopped on top of it.
post #206 of 499 Old 10-19-2006, 03:30 PM

Quote:

Tee hee... the "Activate EyeTV" movie IS the transition. It is a screenshot of the EyeTV menu with "Loading..." photoshopped on top of it.

Sorry...I meant I didn't even see the static image. Just flashed from FR to EyeTV.

post #207 of 499 Old 10-21-2006, 05:42 AM

Hi,
How do you use Activate EyeTV ? Can it launch an EyeTV record (.eyetv) as Blank Movie launches DVD Player to read the VIDEO_TS ?
Where must I put this file ?

Thank you.
post #208 of 499 Old 10-21-2006, 07:19 AM

Place the Activate EyeTV movie directly in your Movies Folder (alongside your VIDEO_TS aliases, etc.). Selecting it sends you directly from that Front Row screen into EyeTV.

This is a slightly different than the way we use DVD Assist with VIDEO_TS...you're not creating shortcuts to any content, but to the actual EyeTV app itself.

post #209 of 499 Old 10-21-2006, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

There is a 1.4.6 available from the first post. Got rid of the requirement for Toast for disk image users. Don't know why I went down the "toastimagemount" path to begin with.
post #210 of 499 Old 10-21-2006, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

OK, pans are definetly much better on the new version (about 80% there). I think I can live with it since it only happens on h264 movies (since I modified script to quit DVD Assist), which are less in quanity than my dvd archives.

Yeah, I noticed the VLC prompt, but installed it to make it go away.

Are you having pauses with H.264 movies with DVD Assist not running? If so, there might be something else going on. Have you pulled up Activity Monitor to see if something else is gobbling CPU time? (Use CPU History from the Windows Menu, close all windows in Activity Monitor except CPU History, and close all other programs.)

An idle Intel Mac with nothing running except Activity Monitor should show about 1-2 dots for each processor.

Ohh, are these H.264 movies on a local drive, or network drive?
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page