Firewire + SA8300HD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-15-2007, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been trying to get this to work for weeks and cant find anything on this issue.

I have a comcast sa8300hd, mac book pro. The firewire record from the box works fine, but play back doesnt. I cant play back anything I have recorded. I have tried the usual non-5c channels (nbc, abc, etc) and nothing. The file is about 100mb/min which is on par with hd content. I get the copy freely in the app (avcvideocap) I can not get the dvhs dev app to work at all without first opening the device in avcbrowser and the connecting to the output plug. Even then I still get the same thing. Good transfer, no playback. mpeg streamclip nor vlc will play the transport stream. So anyone else get this to work with an sa8300? And is it possible even though they shouldnt be encrypting the locals they are? thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2007, 09:06 PM

I'm having the same problem following the same procedure as you are.

I'm running a 1.66 GHz Core Duo Mac mini and SA 8300HD.

Must be something we are doing wrong....
Old 01-16-2007, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
AFAIK, the only content you can record from the 8300HD (TWC) is material you play back that is already stored on the DVR drive and completed (ie. no chase buffer). This means you cannot get "copy once" material b/c the DVR counts as the "once".

Mike
Old 01-16-2007, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip. I will try to play some copy freely content off the dvr from one of the local channels. Thanks again.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:06 PM

Gotta love the TWC death-grip of control on those STBs.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Your tip worked. If the content is recorded to the internal drive, then played back it can be recorded via firewire if its copy freely content. Thanks again.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cold131313 View Post

Your tip worked. If the content is recorded to the internal drive, then played back it can be recorded via firewire if its copy freely content. Thanks again.

Sure thing. Now someone needs to figure out how to allow the Mac to be the "once" for the "copy once" flag...

Mike
Old 02-04-2007, 10:17 AM

I've been meaning to try this for a while. I live in SoCal and am on Charter. I have a Moxi (by Diego) HD DVR, it has a firewire port on the back, along with some USB ports.

In Nov, Charter pushed the 3.2 firmware to the Moxi, which I believe allowed access to the FW port.

Yesterday, I hooked up my HTPC (Intel MacMini) to the Firewire port, got iRecord and the apple Firewire toolkit.

Connected with no issues, all works, including channel changing from the software.

I then proceeded to scan every channel I get by recording a stream and recording.

Get this: I can record AND playback ANY SINGLE CHANNEL I get. This includes premium HD channels and other premium content. I hope this lasts, because I'm sure eventually they will set the play once tag. I can also record the streams playing back form the DVR.

This kicks butt. I can't believe I waited until yesterday to try this (laziness?)

The MacMini can record the streams and play back through VLC with absolutely no problems. I recorded and edited some HD music videos last night, and they look great.

SWEET!
Old 02-05-2007, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderx View Post

I've been meaning to try this for a while. I live in SoCal and am on Charter. I have a Moxi (by Diego) HD DVR, it has a firewire port on the back, along with some USB ports.

In Nov, Charter pushed the 3.2 firmware to the Moxi, which I believe allowed access to the FW port.

Yesterday, I hooked up my HTPC (Intel MacMini) to the Firewire port, got iRecord and the apple Firewire toolkit.

Connected with no issues, all works, including channel changing from the software.

I then proceeded to scan every channel I get by recording a stream and recording.

Get this: I can record AND playback ANY SINGLE CHANNEL I get. This includes premium HD channels and other premium content. I hope this lasts, because I'm sure eventually they will set the play once tag. I can also record the streams playing back form the DVR.

This kicks butt. I can't believe I waited until yesterday to try this (laziness?)

The MacMini can record the streams and play back through VLC with absolutely no problems. I recorded and edited some HD music videos last night, and they look great.

SWEET!

I have a similar set up with a 4300HD from CableVision. I too can record ANY channel. What software do you use to edit the .ts files?

Thanks

MORE PIXELS!!!
Old 04-24-2007, 03:23 PM

Wow looks like some of you got lucky.