IEEE finally approves final 802.11n WiFi standard - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-24-2007, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Apparently, a minor firmware update will bring Apple products into compliance with what could be the final draft of this evolving standard. This is one of the key pieces of the puzzle that Apple has been awaiting before offering 720p iTunes Store movie downloads. See the story here:

http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/...N80211n_1.html

This has been udpated and corrected from the original post....

Geo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-24-2007, 08:59 AM

It didn't look like it said that the final 802.11n spec was approved, just that the draft 2.0 spec will be released for voting on by the IEEE at the end of the month.

That's a good thing, and the article said that just about everybody is in agreement on the new spec, which hopefully means that it won't be much longer until the final spec is approved. The article said that the 3.0 (and possibly final?) spec should be ready by the end of May.

With the firmware update making pre-n and draft-n products compliant, I still have my doubts. Are the performance problems that they currently have due to the firmware, or are there other underlying reasons why most of the 802.11n stuff out right now doesn't perform so well compared to the spec of 120mbps "real world" throughput?

http://reviews.cnet.com/Linksys_WRT3...-31851121.html

Looks like the draft-n stuff was doing better than the pre-n, but aside from the netgear (being 93.8mpbs), the others were underwhelming (at best, only just over 50% as fast as they should be).

I'm looking forward to the new wireless, but I'm also equally considering just running gigabit ethernet in my house, as 802.11 has always bothered me with disconnections and general strangeness from time to time (even among router brands and differing cards).
post #3 of 3 Old 01-24-2007, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

...My bad. The story does say that the draft 2.0 spec (not the final) was approved, but it also does look as if this spec will be ratified. We have just run gigabit Ethernet and installed gigabit routers in the home office and to the media component cabinet...I think it is a good idea to have a solid Ethernet backbone for any system that utilizes multiple WiFi routers. This way, if you use WiFi to stream video, you only use the 802.11n to-and-from portables and laptops (for the most part)...

I will correct the post and headline...

Geo
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page