Why the iPhone will change the (PC) world - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-16-2007, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here's a great story about the iPhone from Computerworld and how its user interface will lead in the 3rd generation of computing device interfaces, including PC's. Make sure to check out the multi touch demonstration by Jeff Han at the end of the article. This is some of the coolest interface stuff I've seen since the 2nd generation of user interfaces was rolled out by Apple in the 80's. Some other nice videos show file management, graphics tools, and multi touch gestures. And the iPhone will begin to bring this to the masses. Some great concepts here that could be used by remote control interfaces, also. Enjoy!

An excerpt:
Why the iPhone will change the (PC) world
Imagine an iPhone the size of a big-screen TV. That's the PC of the future.
by Mike Elgan

February 16, 2007 (Computerworld) -- Steve Jobs' iPhone demo at Macworld Jan. 9 rocked the house, stopped the presses and upset the smart-phone status quo. Yes, Jobs changed the world. Again.

His keynote was so insanely great that five weeks later, we almost forget one important fact: The iPhone doesn't exist -- at least as a shipping product.

Neither you nor I has ever so much as touched an iPhone. Almost everything we know about the iPhone came from one big sales pitch. The iPhone could be the greatest device every manufactured. Or it could be a horrible flop like the Newton. Either is possible.

Jobs' iPhone demo was so powerful that he actually made people believe that Apple invented a whole new user interface. In fact, Apple did something more important than that. The company took some of the best -- hitherto obscure -- UI research and put it into a product that you will be able to buy. It did the same thing with the original Apple computer, the Mac, and with the iPod.

This is how Apple changes the world. It takes awesome research out of other people's labs, polishes and perfects it, and then ship it as warm-and-fuzzy consumer products everyone can buy.

Succeed or fail, the iPhone will be remembered as the first major step toward the third-generation PC user interface.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-16-2007, 04:38 PM

I hope it's all true, and that it happens sooner than later. It seems that this interface has alot of room to grow, uses that have not been realized. The current UI has served well, and I doubt its leaving anytime soon, but I can't wait for next generation.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-16-2007, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 38
That touch-screen is sic! Sign me up!

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #4 of 5 Old 02-18-2007, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

I think the author owns Apple stock... The title says "Why the iPhone will change the (PC) world", yet he never explains why he thinks it will change everything and then his next comment is "Neither you nor I has ever so much as touched an iPhone. Almost everything we know about the iPhone came from one big sales pitch. The iPhone could be the greatest device every manufactured. Or it could be a horrible flop like the Newton. Either is possible."
post #5 of 5 Old 02-18-2007, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redondoman View Post

I think the author owns Apple stock... The title says "Why the iPhone will change the (PC) world", yet he never explains why he thinks it will change everything and then his next comment is "Neither you nor I has ever so much as touched an iPhone. Almost everything we know about the iPhone came from one big sales pitch. The iPhone could be the greatest device every manufactured. Or it could be a horrible flop like the Newton. Either is possible."

I think tha the importance of the article is the UI technology that is presented. I don't care about how Apple or any other computer manu decides to implement it, initially. I just think that it is a very cool direction for CE to move into.

Even though the author of the article may have an agenda, or whatever, you have to agree that the technology is begging for implementation.
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page