EyeTV/CPU power/antenna questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-26-2007, 03:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i am new to OTA HDTV and have a few questions

im lookin to purchase a hauppauge hvr-950 to watch/record OTA hd and digital tv. id like clearQAM but the miglia tvmini hd is $148 at the lowest price and i dont even know whether id be able to receive any QAM channels. plus it doesnt do analog and i wouldnt mind havin analog as well.

my system:

Dual 1 GHz G4 Quicksilver
512MB PC133 RAM
nVidia GeForce4 MX 64MB
M-Audio Revolution 7.1

will this be able to watch and record HDTV with eyetv?? even if i could only do digital that would be ok, im plannin on buildin a HTPC when leopard comes out. do i need to upgrade the RAM to 1GB?

now my other question is about antennas. from my understanding a regular uhf/vhf indoor antenna will work fine for OTA HDTV. ive read regular $5 rabbit ears from radioshack work the same as these expensive "HD-ready" antennas. i dont wanna spend tons of money on an antenna if i dont have to but wanna make sure i get somethin that works well. or will the one that comes with the hauppauge work fine? id like to receive all of the digital stations listed on titantv....i live pretty close to all the major network stations.

also, i wanna hook everything up to my denon avr-1403 receiver. what is the best and cheapest way to do so? what cables do i need?

i want this mainly for march madness the ncaa basketball tournament which is comin up. i need to straighten everything out and decide in time, it starts march 15th
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2007, 06:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

will this be able to watch and record HDTV with eyetv?

Well, there are a couple of issues here. First, that Hauppauge, while identical to El Gato's Hybrid, and supported by EyeTV software, doesn't actually ship with EyeTV software--so you'll need to buy a license. Probably should just get the Hybrid. Second, no, your Mac won't be able to play back high def, it'll play it back at 1/4 res with EyeTV. Third, RAM won't help this issue, it's a processor issue, but any Mac user running Tiger should have a least 1GB in their system, so pop another 512 in there anyway (especially since another 512 stick of that RAM is like $30.)

Antenna stuff is already handled very well in another AVS discussion forum called "HDTV Reception Hardware"--there's nothing about an antenna that is a Mac specific issue--and yes, many folks use very inexpensive Radio Shack antennas to pull in their OTA. I have a Silver Sensor, but what'll work best for you is very locally dependent--so you may want to drop in on your local HDTV discussion thread to see what others are using near you. All depends where you live, where your towers are, what's in the way, etc. You won't know what any antenna will pick up until you connect it, though antennaweb.org can give you an idea of what to expect.

Quote:

also, i wanna hook everything up to my denon avr-1403 receiver. what is the best and cheapest way to do so? what cables do i need?

Your M-audio card has digital coax out, so just go coax in to the Denon.

(And, by the way, you had some mad crossover skills back in the day.)
Old 02-26-2007, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

so a dual GHz G4 wont let me watch or at least record HDTV? not even 720p? aw damn, i really wanted to watch OTA on my computer

im runnin tiger fine w/512 but im prolly gonna get another 512...money is tight though. pricewatch tells me PC133 is goin up in price, lowest there is $42. PC133 seems to be more expensive cuz its old and not widely used. time to scour ebay for a deal.

i can already get eyetv free through someone so thats why im goin for the hauppauge since its the exact same thing as eyetv hybrid. the hybrid is around 150 while you can get the hauppauge for 75, half the cost.

i know the antenna stuff isnt mac-specific obviously. i actually browsed the reception hardware forum and there was a lot of info to digest...didnt really find a simple answer. accordin to antennaweb im less than 10 miles from all of the major network stations although i would like to pull in stations from further out. im specifically lookin at receivin WKBNDT1 (27.1) which is based in youngstown (im in cleveland) since its a different cbs affiliate and WYFX (27.2) also in youngstown. they would be very useful durin march madness and the nfl season to get different games that arent shown in the cleveland viewing area.

so all i need for my denon is a digital coaxial cable correct?
Old 02-26-2007, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by godshammgod View Post

so a dual GHz G4 wont let me watch or at least record HDTV? not even 720p? aw damn, i really wanted to watch OTA on my computer

You'll be able to record just fine. As for watching, forget 1080i; 720p's doable at best (though the bit-rate of a recording can be reduced, making playback more feasible, but that takes a long transcoding session (and a slight hit in quality). And the more RAM, the better.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
Old 02-26-2007, 09:39 PM

I'm using a dual G4 (MDD) with EyeTV and a Miglia TVMini HD to capture ClearQAM, displaying on a 1080p 37" Westinghouse LVM-37W3. EyeTV has no problem recording the full resolution streams (1080i and 720p), but playback is cut down to 1/4 quality. Having only analog TV to compare to, even 1/4 res 1080i looks *really* good. (I'm going to swap out the G4 for a Mac mini, Real Soon Now.) I guess the 1080i broadcasts just drop every other frame, and cut the horizontal resolution in half; it's still awfully watchable for most shows, though fast motion drops some frames, which might admittedly reduce the usefulness for basketball, okay, true.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

ok, how much of an improvement will goin from 512MB ---> 1GB RAM make? is it worth the cost on my (old) machine?

im tryin to find the most cost-efficient way for OTA HDTV

Hauppauge HVR-950 $77.99
Syba NEC chipset USB 2.0 PCI card $6.95 (works in OSX, plug and play)
512MB PC133 DIMM $40
RadioShack uhf/vhf antenna ???? $5-10
SPDIF digital coaxial cable $20 ?????

those are all lowest prices online, so im lookin at around 150 for everything. still the same price as a hybrid or miglia

id be curious to see if any hauppauge hvr-950 owners were on here usin it w/eyetv and how the antenna it comes with works
Old 02-27-2007, 07:28 AM

I don't think bumping your ram is going to do anything for you, your machine is a little dated for hdtv. Also, last I heard the hybrid does not work through a pci usb. It must be built in 2.0 usb. Run it by elgato to double check.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khisayruou View Post

Also, last I heard the hybrid does not work through a pci usb. It must be built in 2.0 usb. Run it by elgato to double check.

Weirdly, my Miglia TVMini HD says in the manual that it won't work on a PCI USB 2.0 card, and yet that's how I've connected it to my MDD G4, and it works plenty reliably. Not sure what the deal is there.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboyko View Post

Weirdly, my Miglia TVMini HD says in the manual that it won't work on a PCI USB 2.0 card, and yet that's how I've connected it to my MDD G4, and it works plenty reliably. Not sure what the deal is there.

From elgato:

Can EyeTV hardware work with an USB 2.0 PCI or PCMCIA card?

The supported configuration for most EyeTV hardware is a Mac with built in USB 2.0 ports. It may or may not work with machines that have USB 2.0 PCI cards, either due to the nature of those older Macs, or non-optimal PCI cards. We do not have a list of which PCI cards may or may not work, and we can only support setups that use built in USB 2.0 ports.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboyko View Post

I have a MDD G4 (dual 1.25GHz) with a PCI USB 2.0 card. Eye TV Hybrid works fine. Works great in fact.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

got my hauppauge tuner, works fine with my usb 2.0 pci card and system profiler lists it as "WinTV HVR-980"

i ran eyetv 2.3.2 went through the setup and tried to auto tune channels. immediately got a kernel panic and had to restart. tried again, same thing. tried to start eyetv now......kernel panic.

anyone know why its doin this?
Old 03-17-2007, 11:01 PM

On your last attempt to only start EyeTV, did you have the tuner plugged in?

It probably isn't liking either:
1) the tuner card: it is slightly possible the hardware is bad, have someone with a Windows setup check and see if it runs on there. If it isn't working, you may have a bad USB stick.
2) the PCI-USB card interface: like others said, there are so many PCI-USB cards around, and we've seen a lot of non-Apple hardware act bad with drivers not made *specifically* for it on Macs, including Apple's generic drivers...
#2 seems most likely from the observations so far.

As we all have read and said, hardware problems are the common source of kernel panics in OS X.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

yea its plugged in

i did a google search and noticed other people sayin 2.3.2 crashed on them. seems like 2.3.1 works fine for others but im not sure if it supports my hauppauge hvr-950. the 2.3.2 release notes say it adds support for the hauppauge and other usb tuners. i believe 2.3.3 also requires a different serial # to work

the pci usb should be fine.....its got the nec chipset which is plug & play with os x. works fine with all my devices full speed. its the VIA chipset that doesnt work very well (even with windows PCs).

i hope it isnt a hardware problem.....cuz then id have to send it back and wouldnt be able to record ncaa tournament games
Old 03-18-2007, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

ok, i update to 10.4.9 and voila...it works! problem is it only found 3 stations (abc, fox, and univision) think this is just the included antenna not bein very good or what? the stream signal was pretty weak...said it was 40-50%

titantv lists over 20 digital stations for my zip code