Is Fuzzy Text Normal? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-26-2007, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I purchased a Plasma TV and have worked and worked to get a decent display from a Mac Mini. I've read many posts, tried SwitchResX but to no avail. The text just seems fuzzy and can't be read when sitting on my couch. Is it just me or what?

Here's the question: I have a 42" plasma and Mac Mini. I expected the text to be sharp and HD Quicktime movies and DVD's to be very clear and sharp (HD quality). This is not the case. Are you able to get a sharp, clear picture when driving a plasma? Maybe its my TV should I just get a different one? (I was looking at a Sony 46" instead :-)

What should I do? What do you have? Am I expecting too much?

Thanks,
Nate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-27-2007, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
What's the resolution on the plasma? The mini connected to my DLP is sharp from 4'+ but the mini connected to my CRT is fuzzy at best even though it's a 1080i HDTV.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-27-2007, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Well, the resolution is 1024 x 1080. (I know its weird) I can actually view the Mini at 1280 x 720 - 60Hz or 1920 x 1080i- 60Hz

It is a Hitachi 42HDS69 42" plasma. If you can find better settings I would be happy to try them. Would love to hear about it! I just don't want to go and exchange the TV and find that every TV above a certain size is like this.
post #4 of 6 Old 02-27-2007, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Initially my 42" plasma also had fuzzy text, as well as significant over/underscan (missing parts of the screen or a black border) and/or distortion due to the non-square pixels. After using SwitchResX these problems are solved or at least SUBSTANTIALLY improved.

Doug
post #5 of 6 Old 02-27-2007, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_Eldred View Post

Initially my 42" plasma also had fuzzy text, as well as significant over/underscan (missing parts of the screen or a black border) and/or distortion due to the non-square pixels. After using SwitchResX these problems are solved or at least SUBSTANTIALLY improved.

How did you find your settings for SwitchResX? I have tried it but it didn't seem to help much.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-27-2007, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Basically I did what the tutorial elsewhere on this forum suggested. I recently downloaded a newer version, and plan to try undoing my in-TV tweaks and see if SwitchResX alone can do it. (The tweaks are pretty minor, just a few pixels up/down and left/right, but maybe SwitchResX can do 100% if I try.)

In my case, I set it for 1366x768. My TV is officially 1024x768, but since the pixels aren't square 1366x768 is the logical square-pixel equivalent. Made a world of difference.

Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page