Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 74 Old 03-02-2007, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It may be that theres another place to post this but it happens alot in the mac forum why do the mods keep closing threads Where is freedom of speech and the right to an idea and good old fashion discussion it does not matter what is better or worse the fact is there are far to many conflicts in the world more important things to worry about like raising you kids in this muddled world and at the end of the day we are all going to end up pushing up the roses (im allergic to dafs)

oh and to stay on topic were in the file structure does itunes put every thing as i would like to back up my music library
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 Old 03-02-2007, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
...because one or two self-apponted "policemen" here, who call others "childish" and "trolls," keep running secretly to the moderators to ask that every thread they disagree with, be closed....:-)

To answer your question, generally /Users/UserName/Music.... But you can set iTunes to keep its library anywhere you want it to, including on another drive.
post #3 of 74 Old 03-02-2007, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Must have gone to the same sckool of thought that bush went to ( Hitler Youth Camp)

thanks for that ive been muddling around the file system dont quite understand the structure yet still wondering if there is a load hidden from me
post #4 of 74 Old 03-02-2007, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Which threads have been closed? I've always thought we've done a fairly good job of policing ourselves. Although... since this thread contains no Mac discussion I suggest it be closed or moved to an appropriate forum.
post #5 of 74 Old 03-02-2007, 12:32 PM

Someone mentioned dividing the Mac forum into OSX Mac and MCE on the Mac. It makes a lot of sense and would go a long ways to meet the needs of both communities and keep the flame wars down.

Better that we MCE on the mac users have our own forum rather than get swallowed in the larger forum. There are fewer hardware choices on the mac and so our needs are in many ways unique from the larger XP/Vista forum in terms of drivers etc.. For example, I'd like to see more discussion on USB tuners from users on the XP/Vista side of the mac. More discussion of HDHomeRun from mac users. More discussion on Parallels/VMware as it relates to MCE on the mac. ( I personnaly would like to see development of OSX running in virtualization under Vista on a mac as professionally I use mostly XP/Vista software including AutoCAD, SolidWorks and, now, Office 2007. It seems to me it would be much easier to virtualize OpenGL than DirectX 10! I doubt that will happen though).

In any case, what do people think?
post #6 of 74 Old 03-02-2007, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualbyte View Post

Must have gone to the same sckool of thought that bush went to ( Hitler Youth Camp)

Gee.. I wonder why your threads are getting closed.
post #7 of 74 Old 03-02-2007, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimwesternguy View Post

In any case, what do people think?

Too many forums in my opinion. MCE discussion belongs in the Windows forum because at that point the Mac is merely a generic, beige box pc. I don't think there's enough interest in virtualization to create new forums. If virtualization is working correctly, then whatever OS you're using in a virtual machine should be discussed in the relevant forum (windows in windows, linux in linux, etc). A device like the Apple TV is tricky because it straddles the line of OS and function. Discussion could be found here, in the Windows forum or the Streamer forum. And I think all three would be appropriate. In that case you simply have to use your best judgement.
post #8 of 74 Old 03-02-2007, 01:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

what do people think?

That the last thing we need is yet another patently divisive thread like this. The Mods have decided it's best for all of you Windows/MCE/Vista/XP users--regardless of the hardware you have--to take your "how-to" discussion to the more appropriate forum. If you have something interesting to say, or need help solving a problem, you won't be swallowed up over there to any greater extent than anyone else, since on the PC side hardware options are so vast anyway. Threads are getting closed because a few people refuse to accept the guidelines, as determined by the Mods. And there's got to be a better way to share your feelings about what you feel should be done or ought to be done than START a thread about it. Maybe a private message when you disagree with something or wonder why a thread was closed?

Ars Technica created a sub-forum just for the kind of inevitably deteriorating, inevitably circular, inevitably divisive fanboy ******** that's been so frustrating and distracting of late--it's called the Battlefront. I'm not sure whether we'd benefit from an additional forum, but if we were to add one, a virtualization forum would be low on the list. I do know one thing, though, it's high time this particular forum stopped being a surrogate battleground.

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/...frm/f/48409524
post #9 of 74 Old 03-02-2007, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

It may be that theres another place to post this but it happens alot in the mac forum why do the mods keep closing threads Where is freedom of speech and the right to an idea and good old fashion discussion

First, AVS Forums is a privately run entity. Nobody here has any free speech rights. The mods can close threads for any reason. To keep the community vibrant it's in their best interest to tread lightly, but they can do what they want.

Second, The AVS folks do tend to keep a tighter leash on things than other boards I'm on, but there are also a great deal more forums and posters here, so I think they need to so that the forums continue to be useful.
post #10 of 74 Old 03-02-2007, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I am not sure about the need for a new forum.

There is, however, demand for information relating to using Mac hardware with non-Apple OSs. Just take a look at the number of views of the "FAQ: MCE on a Mac Mini" thread here. It is almost as frequently viewed as the OS X FAQ, even though it was recently unpinned. Also, take a look at the frequency with which MCE-related questions appear here - almost as often as the "how do I hook up my XXX monitor to my Mini" questions:-)

Mac hardware is unique, both in terms of design, and in terms of driver and peripherals installation. It also has the advantage of being able to run every major OS available, and this has been a major deciding factor for many "switchers."

Unfortunately, a lot of the responses to Mac hardware questions on the "main" forum are met with either "Go to the Mac forum," or "Why are you buying an overpriced Mac, when you can buy a cheap PC box." So, if you ask a question about a Mac Mini or an iMac there, often you are made to feel like a fool.

And unfortunately, the same unhelpful replies are all too frequent here. Some of the abuse is actually worse.

I would think we'd be happy if someone purchases an Apple computer, even if they chose to run MCE or whatever, if their HTPC needs are not met by the installed OS. For God's sake, Apple has a whole forum section on running Windows and Boot Camp! Why are some here more Catholic than the Pope?

My feeling is, people who have purchased an Intel Mac, and wish to try, or use an OS which may provide a better HTPC experience for them, should be able to ask for help from others who like and know Macs. After all, some may try MCE, Media Portal, etc., then decide that iTheater or Front Row is a better fit, and then wish to try BeyondMedia. The great thing about an Intel Mac is that it can run ALL of them.

But if each nubie question is met with flame-throwers by a few of the regulars here, then perhaps a new sub-forum may not be a bad idea.
post #11 of 74 Old 03-02-2007, 03:28 PM

I personally believe that fanboyism on both sides ratcheted up many notches when Apple started the "I'm a Mac" ad campaign.

I wonder if a thread entitled "Official MCE on a Mac" thread (on the other board) would be an alternative.
post #12 of 74 Old 03-02-2007, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew67 View Post

Too many forums in my opinion. MCE discussion belongs in the Windows forum because at that point the Mac is merely a generic, beige box pc. I don't think there's enough interest in virtualization to create new forums. If virtualization is working correctly, then whatever OS you're using in a virtual machine should be discussed in the relevant forum (windows in windows, linux in linux, etc). A device like the Apple TV is tricky because it straddles the line of OS and function. Discussion could be found here, in the Windows forum or the Streamer forum. And I think all three would be appropriate. In that case you simply have to use your best judgement.

We are not using virtualization Windows is running nativly on the hardware as apple have allowed us to and there seems to be quite a number of people doing it

so a sub forum would be appropriate maybe a poll is in order
because its only the people with old hardware that dont want us here
post #13 of 74 Old 03-03-2007, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

because its only the people with old hardware that dont want us here

That's utter BS. It's the people that want to restrict this forum to Mac's, OSX and devices that interact with OSX. That's why this forum exists. It's not about Windows, it's not about Linux, it's not about MCE, Windows only streaming media players or Windows specific movie services. If the software doesn't run on OSX, if the device doesn't interact with OSX it doesn't belong here. End of story.

This area is for chat on the development of an HTPC platform for Mac's. We ask you to keep this area totally related to the Mac OS and computer platform for HTPC.

I honestly recommend this thread be closed by the moderators. We've had this discussion before. A thread was created for MCE discussion. If you want to discuss MCE on Macs, do it there.
post #14 of 74 Old 03-03-2007, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter

oooooohhhh

please close the thread im bored with taking to people like Andrew67
Advanced Member

oh so advanced
post #15 of 74 Old 03-03-2007, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I am not sure why there is so much hostility towards the PC guys who want to run Windows on a Mac Mini for HTPC purposes. If am ever forced to boot camp (or Parallel) my way into Windows to run some godforsaken piece of Windows only software (like during the World Cup I had an XP partition on my Mini, since erased, because the Verizon/ESPN thingy I was using to watch the games over the internet was Windoze only.)

Sure I was on the side of the Mac people in the AppleTV thread, and sure I think it is absurd to have M$ fans coming into this forum to tell us how much better MCE is, but I see nothing wrong with the occasional Windows on Mac thread.

If you look at the newly created Mac forum on HTF, which happened because Ron Epstein got a MacPro, many of the recent converts, including Ron, only bought Macs because of the security blanket of being able to run XP or Vista under parallels, and are still running Windows versions of absurd things ranging from MS Office, to Solitaire, to Konfabulator widgets (for heaven's sake!). Obviously, since they are loving OS X, they will soon discover that OS X offers all of the above, and it is better under OS X.

By welcoming hesitant Windows users to the Mac platform, we can in the long run convert many more people, which is good for all of us, as more and better software will be written for a more popular platform. Many of those MCE on Mini guys will sooner or later run into the usual Windows disasters, and instead of re-installing for the Nth time, they will switch to OS X and forget about it.
post #16 of 74 Old 03-03-2007, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Todorov View Post

I am not sure why there is so much hostility towards the PC guys who want to run Windows on a Mac Mini for HTPC purposes.

I don't think there's any hostility, the MCE discussion just doesn't belong in this particular forum. The forums have been created and differentiated by operating system (Linux Chat, Mac Chat, Windows Chat). That's a decision made by the moderators of the forum.
post #17 of 74 Old 03-03-2007, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
MCE may or may not belong in the Mac forum, don't have a strong opinion on that. But in either place there is bound to be flak from one camp or the other. It is cluttering up an already busy subforum listing to add yet another venue, but it honestly is probably the only way to have those discussions stay on topic.

The normal argument for not breaking forums into smaller groups is it makes it harder for people who peruse looking for issues in various areas to cover everything, but I think the MCE on Macs types probably are an exception in that regard.

BB
post #18 of 74 Old 03-03-2007, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:

It may be that theres another place to post this but it happens alot in the mac forum why do the mods keep closing threads Where is freedom of speech and the right to an idea and good old fashion discussion it does not matter what is better or worse the fact is there are far to many conflicts in the world more important things to worry about like raising you kids in this muddled world and at the end of the day we are all going to end up pushing up the roses (im allergic to dafs)

The only recent thread that I have closed in this area was the one about Apple TV vs. MCE. What others have been closed?

Threads get closed here because they break the rules of civic conduct as defined by the forum administrators. Healthy debate is allowed and actually encouraged, but when people cross the line with personal attacks and inflammatory posts, then action will be taken. You can continue with all of the healthy debate that you want as long as you respect the person you are debating and post in a friendly manner.

This forum is public in that anyone is allowed to join and post, but it is PRIVATELY run and maintained, much like a club, and adherence to the rules is mandatory in order to continue with your "club membership". So far the only action I have taken is to close a single thread that got out of hand, and even then I gave fair warning before doing so.

It is very easy - remain civil and show respect to your fellow forum members and threads will remain open for as much healthy debate as you want. The ball is in YOUR court.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 74 Old 03-03-2007, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
BTW, I just now noticed this was a poll. I was wondering if you could make the responses any more bias?

I've been thinking about the sub-forum thing, and I think I'll fallen on the side of no sub-forum. The HTPC forums are designed around software not hardware, so technically any MCE discussion should be in that forum. Posting in the Mac forum really won't help much since I suspect most of us have little experience with Windows HTPC software.

Having said all that, if the Windows folks, generally speaking, won't help you because of your hardware choice, then I would suggest we create one sticky thread in this forum for the folks who choose to run MCE on Macintosh hardware. I know there is a thread already, it's just a matter of making it a sticky. At least you would have a small home of your own until the Windows HTPC folks become more understanding.
post #20 of 74 Old 03-03-2007, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

I for one would like to be in a osx only environment i have never used mce have no wish to but if some one can come up with a fair use method of backing up dvds thats as good as anydvd and dvd dycrypter or dvdshrink on osx i would love to use it mac the ripper is just not that good and has struggled with the dvds that i have tried and does not give you the option of turning into an iso which is my preferred containment method

and i discovered the other day osx mounts the iso and it plays a treat in dvd player as i have about 350 dvds which are ripped film only no menus and because i live in france i get to remove all thoose anouying subtitles as here most of them are forced and i have yet to find a standalone dvd player that will ignore forced subs (that however is another issue)

onwards and forwards
and im off to cuddle my new baby daughter 3 weeks old
post #21 of 74 Old 03-03-2007, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

That thread should have been deleted (not closed) a long time ago. MCE vs AppleTV is not condusive to supporting a healthy discussion of the Mac OS. I still hold the position that AppleTV should be in the media streamer forum.
post #22 of 74 Old 03-03-2007, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Todorov View Post

I am not sure why there is so much hostility towards the PC guys who want to run Windows on a Mac Mini for HTPC purposes. If am ever forced to boot camp (or Parallel) my way into Windows to run some godforsaken piece of Windows only software (like during the World Cup I had an XP partition on my Mini, since erased, because the Verizon/ESPN thingy I was using to watch the games over the internet was Windoze only.)

Sure I was on the side of the Mac people in the AppleTV thread, and sure I think it is absurd to have M$ fans coming into this forum to tell us how much better MCE is, but I see nothing wrong with the occasional Windows on Mac thread.

If you look at the newly created Mac forum on HTF, which happened because Ron Epstein got a MacPro, many of the recent converts, including Ron, only bought Macs because of the security blanket of being able to run XP or Vista under parallels, and are still running Windows versions of absurd things ranging from MS Office, to Solitaire, to Konfabulator widgets (for heaven's sake!). Obviously, since they are loving OS X, they will soon discover that OS X offers all of the above, and it is better under OS X.

By welcoming hesitant Windows users to the Mac platform, we can in the long run convert many more people, which is good for all of us, as more and better software will be written for a more popular platform. Many of those MCE on Mini guys will sooner or later run into the usual Windows disasters, and instead of re-installing for the Nth time, they will switch to OS X and forget about it.

Nice post Ted.

I find the problems is not so much topics, but the attitudes of the Windows posters when they come into the Mac forum. I have a real problem with the missionary, out to save the unwashed Mac users, approach. And as Ted mentions above, Apple's strategy with Boot Camp, and in supporting Parallels, is to allow PC users an easy avenue to the Mac Way. And for me, having XP on my MacBook in Parallels is a necessity for a few applications I need that aren't written in OS X, for web development testing, and for providing some minimal amount of XP support.

Technically, running XP in Parallels is running OS X. Running in Boot Camp isn't. But with the new Parallels out of beta, you can run XP from a Boot Camp partition, so the water is muddied. I think that with the increased virtualization development, and the development of Coherance in Parallels, that it will become harder and harder to distinguish between where OS X ends, and XP/Vista pick up. And eventually, as virtualization comes to the PC, the problem may head the other direction, as Parallels has already said they have the technology to provide PC support for virtualizing OS X, but that they don't choose to alienate Apple by doing so at this time. So the lines between the two platforms are blurring, and that's ok in my mind.

Where the problem is, is that the blurring also mixes the user groups in ways that aren't always conducive to good communication. I have found that even things like the "I'm a Mac" tv commercials, and Apple PR market-speak tends to really piss off some Windows users, and their attitude towards Apple is misdirected towards Apple users in these, and other forums elsewhere. It's really unfortunate, but true. People do odd things when they are subtly threatened. And that is what Apple's campaign has done to many Windows users. It brings the bully out in some individuals.

So what I would advise is that Alan Gouger's sticky at the beginning of this forum be clarified, as it is written in a fairly murky manner. And I would add to it a statement to the effect that the missionary zeal of Windows users, and the Windows attitude against those who choose to use Mac hardware and OS X be parked at the entrance door. Then we can have civil debate.
post #23 of 74 Old 03-03-2007, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

wildrock, the trail runs both ways.

Chris
post #24 of 74 Old 03-03-2007, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redondoman View Post

That thread should have been deleted (not closed) a long time ago. MCE vs AppleTV is not condusive to supporting a healthy discussion of the Mac OS. I still hold the position that AppleTV should be in the media streamer forum.

Well, appleTV and the iPhone both run variants of OS X. Does that mean they are or aren't Mac OS X products? My Pace Tahoe PVR runs linux, but it's thread is in the High Definition DVR forum. Categorization has to be a bit subjective here at AVS, as many products straddle different areas.

Maybe focusing this area on the Apple platform, as opposed to either OS or hardware, specifically would be a good approach. Apple is building out its platform aggressively with diversified products in the iPhone and appleTV, and I think that it would be good to reflect that company direction here in this forum, as opposed to breaking out the pieces in other forums. After all, one of Apple's strengths is its approach to an integrated user experience, from beginning to end. Maybe this forum should be renamed the Apple forum, not the HTPC-Mac chat, to better reflect Apple's approach.

And on a side note, maybe it is the notion of "HTPC" that is a subject of debate, as it provoked some heated talk on the just-closed thread, and I had no desire to have my notions of HTPC subjected to the critique of less-than pleasant MCE fans, so I didn't go there. I think that Apple users have a different attitude and expectation about what constitutes a HTPC, as Microsoft was first to build out its vision, and many Apple users have rejected it. And how us Apple users view what constitutes a HTPC irritates Windows users, hence the debate around semantics. It's not really a useful debate. I think that us Apple technology users should be allowed to define where we are going with the notion of HTPC, and where Apple is driving it, as it is very different than the PC world view of it. It's what sets the two platforms apart.
post #25 of 74 Old 03-03-2007, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

And as Bob has pointed pointed, the thread most in question about being closed was about Apple TV vs. MCE. Don't want MCE people in the forum, don't post about it. That was a choice that was made by the poster of the original thread.

I think MCE people (and Windows in general) will gladly stay out of any Mac thread once incorrect information is not presented about Windows. Just as Mac users would have no reason to debate within a Windows thread about OS X if incorrect information or unfar comparison was to be started.

You can't paint a picture that it only happens on one side, we all know it doesn't.

I'm a Windows and MCE user, but I like reading about Mac's as I will purchase one. I would be greatful if I didn't get turned off my future purchase by being incorrect represented in Mac thread. I'm not just talking about myself either, all Windows users and all Mac users should have the idea in their head that they are doing nothing to help either side by insulting or trying to bring the users down.

If you want to keep the MCE talk out, just don't start threads about MCE. Seems rather simple to me. Keep the single thread about MCE on a Mini, but know that you can't keep Windows (or any other platform) out of needing to be compared. Decisions are made based on comparing two different products, or two different platforms. How about limiting talk to the exact questions asked in the thread by the OP? Get off topic, thread closes.

There are dozens of posts in the Windows forum everyday that bring up Linux or Mac. These are not outlawed, and the Mac forum really shouldn't be any different. Same within the Linux forum. Windows is still brought up, and that would not be outlawed either.

Chris
post #26 of 74 Old 03-03-2007, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildrock View Post

Nice post Ted.

Technically, running XP in Parallels is running OS X. Running in Boot Camp isn't. But with the new Parallels out of beta, you can run XP from a Boot Camp partition, so the water is muddied. I think that with the increased virtualization development, and the development of Coherance in Parallels, that it will become harder and harder to distinguish between where OS X ends, and XP/Vista pick up. And eventually, as virtualization comes to the PC, the problem may head the other direction, as Parallels has already said they have the technology to provide PC support for virtualizing OS X, but that they don't choose to alienate Apple by doing so at this time. So the lines between the two platforms are blurring, and that's ok in my mind.

Ted and the others that dont quiet seem to understand there macs yes you do run in parellels it is a virtual os parellels is providing a false driver and hardware background to run on

but all bootcamp is is a utility that simplfies the partion breakup needed and sticks the drivers for xp on a disk and then changes the startup disk. it is possible to source the drivers yourself and install xp without bootcamp or vista if thats your cup of tea when using bootcamp no and i mean no virtualisation is done in most cases it is xp running on mac and intel hardware in no way different to xp on joes blogs internet order home built system.

it is now possible to boot the xp partion with parellels but as with virtual pc this really is far from the best solution as you are running 2 os at once and this is why rhe bootcamp solution was handed to us since they had moved to intel hardware.

But xp was being run on intel macs long before bootcamp just as you can boot the right build of tiger on non apple hardware check out insanlymac.com but us people using our intel macs in this fashion are just trying to collate our knowledge in the best possible fashion just as the windows users on any old hardware and the osx on apple only hardware

bur as a moot point of intrest how do apple folk feel about me asking about my other osx running machine as there are no apple hardware in it its a amd 64 x2 3800 with an asus mobo running sse3 and and ati graphics card did just to see if i could do it and it was what conviced me to purchase an Real iMac.
post #27 of 74 Old 03-03-2007, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

bur as a moot point of intrest how do apple folk feel about me asking about my other osx running machine as there are no apple hardware in it its a amd 64 x2 3800 with an asus mobo running sse3 and and ati graphics card did just to see if i could do it and it was what conviced me to purchase an Real iMac.

My thought is, that when Steve Jobs announced that the Mac would move to an Intel architecture, that the heart and soul of the Mac experience is the operating system. I think that the last year has shown that to be very true. Mac users have embraced Intel. I am intrigued by OS X on other hardware platforms, if for no other reason than my own geeky nature. So if your use of OS X on AMD yields some interesting applications and solutions in the realm of home theater, I would be interested in hearing it.

And after thinking about my above statement about OS X being the heart and soul of the Mac experience, we get to the heart of the alienation of those who want to run MCE on Apple hardware. Loved not at either the HTPC-Mac nor the HTPC-PC forums. You go this route by your own choice, so you need to figure out where you want your support, whether with Mac users, PC users, or off on your own. If you come here, you need to tread lightly around those who have reject Microsoft's notion of HTPC. Go to the PC forum, and likewise you have to put up with PC bias against Mac hardware. As the PC user has rejected Apple hardware (and OS X), the Mac user has rejected Microsoft's Windows (but not Intel and inevitably AMD hardware). I don't envy you.

I think the best solution may be a virtualization and cross-platform hybrids forum. Though I am not a segregationist at heart, I think that avoiding the sort of acrimony that the MCE vs. appleTV touched off, and preventing spill-over into other threads (I've had to bite my tongue several times recently over other posts in the Mac forum), that it might be the best avenue.
post #28 of 74 Old 03-03-2007, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildrock View Post

... you need to tread lightly around those who have reject Microsoft's notion of HTPC....

Actually, the HTPC is hardly "Microsoft's notion." There are tens of variations on the same basic HTPC idea across platforms, from MythTV for Linux, to Media Center and Front Row for OS X, to MCE and Media Portal for Windows.

They all boil down to the same simple concept: combine all of one's media and present it under a unified UI on the "big" screen, with the option to navigate around by remote control.

In other words, make the computer feel and look to the end user less like a computer, but more like just like another DVD player, except that it does a bit more.
post #29 of 74 Old 03-03-2007, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

There seems to be an increasing number of people, who have purchased an Intel Mac, and not being entirely happy with the HTPC options available on OS X, have decided to simply reboot and try some of the alternatives. MCE is one such alternative.

There are installation and driver issues peculiar to the Intel Macs, as well as issues of making an Intel Mac running MCE work with other, OS X-running Macs, in one's home. This is why we get persistent questions about MCE on a Mac here.

Again, I really don't know if it is necessary to open another sub-forum. Perhaps a single sticky thread addressing the questions of those who choose to use MCE, or whatever, on Mac hardware, would be sufficient. I am of the opinion that this is all that's really needed.

But, this also implies that such thread should not be turned into a battlefield by the few here, who are fervently monoteistic. I started the "MCE on an Intel Mac" FAQ, because I had spent days and nights trying to cobble together the knowledge of how to make it all work, and felt that if I summarize it here, it may be of help to others trying to do the same. And spare them having to deal with people who, instead of answering a specific question, try to tell you that their Shuttle does so much more, or that you are a moron for buying a Mini.

Unfortunately, the FAQ quickly turned into a mess, with provocative questions, tirades, etc.. I have asked the one or two most prolific offenders to delete their messages, so that we have only pertinent technical info in the FAQ, but they have steadfastly refused:-( (It is ironic, that while some of the "purists" were willing to spend hours flaming the MCE FAQ, the Mac OS HTPC FAQ was only born as responce to it:-)

If we can keep the FAQ relatively clean (perhaps the moderators can actually delete any post not on point,) then I believe we can reduce the number of MCE-related posts here, and thus the flame wars.

Perhaps then, someone can spend some time making the OS X FAQ more complete.
post #30 of 74 Old 03-03-2007, 04:27 PM

I'm not convinced that Mac users have rejected Windows programs out-of-hand on this forum, The 'FAQ :MCE on Intel Mac Mini' has, as of today, 8020 views and the 'FAQ:Mac OSX-HTPC Options galore' sticky has 8599 views. Just about the same, and the later has the 'sticky' advantage.
Closed Thread HTPC - Mac Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page