EyeTV & AppleScript - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-02-2007, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone here have any direct experience with AppleScripting EyeTV? I have some specific questions I can't seem to find an answer to.

1) Is there a way to tell EyeTV to record to a specifically-named file? I'm using IRTrans to control the cable box externally and EyeTV assumes what I'm recording is whatever happens to be playing on channel 3 at that moment and names it accordingly. I can't seem to find a way to turn this off or change it via AS. Another case of engineers making too many assumptions and limiting the usefulness of their product.

2) Lacking the ability to set the name, is there any way to even get the name of the current recording?

3) EyeTV stores its recordings in packages which can be opened to access the actual mpeg files inside. The mpeg files have what appear to be arbitrary hex string names. Anyone know if there's a predictable method to the naming of the files?

4) Lastly (and perhaps most surprisingly) - does anyone know of a method to trim a file from the *start*? This is more of a unix question than AppleScript, but there doesn't seem to be any way to do this short of closing the file, opening it, reversing the data, trimming, reversing again, writing the file out, and then opening it. Obviously, any other files that may be writing to the file (for example, EyeTV) would lose access to the file. I would have thought there would be a Unix tool for this, but I can't seem to find one. Suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2007, 07:55 PM

I don't know how helpful this is but if you use the AppleScript Utility to turn on "Enable GUI Scripting" you can tell EyeTV to do a lot of things and get text information displayed in most windows. I used it to build a Signal Strength script because EyeTV's scripting dictionary didn't expose the signal strength. It's pretty fragile across versions because El Gato will obviously move things around all the time.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, I've used GUI Scripting before, and have actually had good success with it. I've found it depends on how you build the references (the UI Browser app from PreFab software is pretty useful for this). Unfortunately, I can't see any accessible place in the interface where the current recording name is stored. Oh well, I'll try ElGato support. I *really* wish they had a forum of some kind.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:47 AM

i've been applescripting eyetv for some years now...i integrated it into my
tvpi/crontab/firewire/webenabled kludge
;-)

i recently acquired an HDhomerun dual tuner, which eyetv handles quit well, with only minor hiccups: occasional zero-len recordings...well, not so minor;-\

i had to upgrade my applescript scheduler to handle the multiple tuners, and discovered that the recent eyetv updates (& downgrades due to skipping, see this thread) had clobbered my triggered scripts

also see this and this.

share&enjoy;-)