AppleTV and IR repeater - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-07-2007, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys

I'm just curious if you guys have an IR repeated working on the AppleTV? I've read some places that it doesn't work, and some places that it does. I'm specifically using a Xantech IR repeater. Thank you for any info you may have..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-07-2007, 09:40 AM

You're using a Xantech with the AppleTV and yet you've only been able to read reports from others as to the usability? I'm not sure I understand...

While I don't have an AppleTV I do have a Xantech IR repeater (sends signal down the coax) and it works great. I put it in our master bedroom and feed the ir down the coax to the BUCB (big ugly cable box) that I have setup in the laundry room (where all the cable signal gets distributed from). Comes in handy for several reasons.

1 - Much shorter coax run from the 'initial cable tap' to the digital cable box (less loss and better PQ)
2 - Allows me to have a UPS in the laundry room to provide (some) backup in the case of minor power outages.
3 - No ugly cable box sitting on my wife's dresser.
4 - This will even work when I move to HDTVs (with HDMI connections) in the MB and Kitchen.

Since the laundry room is in the 'center' of the house and a cable run to either the MB or the kitchen is less than 100 feet which is a bonus too. (I'd still need to have the coax in addition to the HDMI for the IR tho)

Anyway back to your IR issues... What exactly are you experiencing with your setup? Perhaps it's just a 'sunlight issue' since some IR receivers have trouble seeing the remote controls signal when they are in a 'sunny' room.

1 - Is this a known working setup?

2 - Try to aim the Apple IR remote DIRECTLY into the Xantec receiver window (like 2 or 3 feet away - this will tell you if its a sun/light issue)

3 - Where did you place the ???? (whatever those IR dohickies are called that have little stickies). I don't remember actually seeing an black IR receiver on the AppleTV (where you'd usually stick the little bugger).

Dave
post #3 of 11 Old 04-07-2007, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Hey there!

I have read on both this forum and another that some people have had trouble getting IR repeaters to work with the AppleTV. I don't own the Xantech IR repeater unit yet, but was about to purchase it. If there was some specific problem with it then I was going to look for an alternative.
post #4 of 11 Old 04-08-2007, 01:10 PM

I don't have IR repeater from Xantech but mine works quite fine with Keene Electronics IR Distribution amplifier (www.keene.co.uk).

The black IR receiver is on the front of the Apple TV, next to the small LED. Impossible to miss.
post #5 of 11 Old 07-01-2008, 11:57 AM

Sorry for the thread necromancy but I was hoping someone could add to this discussion. Anything new to report on IR repeaters and how well they work with AppleTV?
post #6 of 11 Old 07-03-2008, 05:29 AM
Advanced Member

I use the Xantech with AppleTV. It works fine. I will not bore you with the details of my set up, but will confirm that it works.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-11-2008, 09:32 AM

I use a Xantech dinky link emmiter on the AppleTV and it works perfectly.
post #8 of 11 Old 07-11-2008, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Another xantech / appleTV setup working here....
post #9 of 11 Old 07-11-2008, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I use a Niles repeater an it works fine.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-15-2008, 07:39 PM
PAP
AVS Special Member

I have one, can't remember the name, but I think it was xantach. It works fine. For some reason my scaler won't work unless I stand right up next to the screen however...but that's another topic.

Good, cheap, easy - pick any two.
post #11 of 11 Old 07-17-2008, 04:59 PM

For some reason my IR setup using Niles (an MSU250 Main Unit and MF Series Microflashers, doesn't work with the AppleTV. All my other devices (Cable box, TV, DVD, Music Server) all work fine, just not the ATV. It works fine if I point the remote directly at the ATV (with or without the Microflasher on the device) but not when I point it (or my Pronto TSU700 on which i have learned the ATV codes) at the receiver on the front of my TV. I am very mystified.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks
Marc

Marc Nield
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page