Is their an FAQ for what I want to do??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-31-2007, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi I would appreciate some guidance if their is a "how you do it" or FAQ for what I would like to do.......

I also posted this request in the PC section as I already have an HTPC that I purchased a couple of years ago...

However I am not a Mac-O-Phobe so I am not averse to finding a Mac solution that would work for what I am trying to do...

I would like to "rip" all of my DVD's and CD's to an external HD and then have an interface something like Windows MCE to be able to access them from!

Or is their a better way to have an "MCE" style interface for accessing your movies and music. I saw a product called "Pixel Magic" that looked like it might be able to be a "front end" for something like an MCE distribution system.

Obviously i cannot afford the Kalidiscape system or I would not be pestering you folks for directions.... but I love the concept that Kalidiscape is following... just not the price tag!

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!
The Barn - Use Password = AVSForum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-31-2007, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm in the same boat as you, and I went for a $599 Mac Mini because of price and cuteness factors. I just got 2 GB of RAM for $79 that I'm going to stick in it, though.

Get a lot of storage (I'm using a Linux server, YMMV), rip a bunch of movies, and point whatever full-screen media player interface you have at it. I would not recommend storing all your media on the playback device, because then it's harder to play back from multiple places, and reliability/maintenance can be a concern.

The one thing to watch out for is that FrontRow does not support VIDEO_TS folders (although you can "hack" it with the Assist script) -- I'd recommend looking at some other media center application.
post #3 of 3 Old 06-01-2007, 02:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoStevo View Post

However I am not a Mac-O-Phobe so I am not averse to finding a Mac solution that would work for what I am trying to do...
I would like to "rip" all of my DVD's and CD's to an external HD and then have an interface something like Windows MCE to be able to access them from!
Or is their a better way to have an "MCE" style interface for accessing your movies and music.

Trying to recreate the Windows Media Center experience on a Mac may not be the most efficient way to go about this. I understand that it is what you are used to, however, the Mac has been available for HT for a relatively short time compared to Linux and Windows and the choices are not yet as rich as on the Windows/Linux side.

There are Mac front ends similar to MCE (if you look at the FAQ at the top of this forum, look for the link in section 2.A.), however, many are still in an early state of developement.

Some of us use DVDpedia, which is an inexpensive commerical program, that will give you a graphic display of all your films and, if you have them ripped to a hard-drive, will play them for you.

Some of us use Front Row, the front end that Apple supplies with all new computers, with a hack called DVD Assist which permits the same thing.

The link in the FAQ leads to other front ends. If you want to have one, you will need to investigate them yourself and see which one best fits your needs. Good luck.
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page