Apple TV Take 2 - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 231 Old 02-01-2008, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think you're vastly over complicating the issue. If you're only concerned with the aTV connecting to your router at N speeds, it will. Do you lose some throughput by enabling G compatibility? Sure. But it'll still be faster than using a G router.

I wouldn't worry about any of it - you'll be good to go with your current connection and setup.

Steam/XBL/PSN: thejokell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 231 Old 02-01-2008, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Here's the text from the Apple forums edited somewhat for all.

Topic : How do you keep a N router and N speeds?

How do you keep a N router and N speeds?

OK, I have a N Extreme. I also have iMac G5, MacBook Pro, iPhone, and all are G. I also have an Apple TV which is N. My understanding is that when the N router sees a G device on the network it runs all transmissions at G. So if all these other devices are sleeping OR off will the N Extreme talk to my ATV in N? I want to know so I can rent movies on my ATV at N speeds.

Thanks.

Tesserax

The best way, albeit not the least expensive way, would be to add a second 802.11g router and configure them for a "Dual-Band" network. In this configuration, you would have two separate wireless networks, but because the second router would be "bridged," all devices would be able to see each other. In addition, since both networks are running on different radio bands, the appropriate devices will get full performance.

(

Re: How do you keep a N router and N speeds?

Yes it's a little confusing. I run my airport extreme in N ONLY mode. That will keep the link speed at 270mbs. occasionally I see 300mbs but rarely. I link Apple TV, iMac, and Macbook Pro this way. For my iPhone and other G type devices I run a seperate G only network. Just turn NAT off, change the ip address and connect the 2 routers together via ethernet cable. For this i use my old Linksys router.

Everything sees everything else on the network and i can maintain link speeds of 270mbs for N and 54mbs for G.

If you run the airport extreme in dual band, the N network will drop back to 130mps, still faster than G but half of what you could have.

Re: How do you keep a N router and N speeds?

captfred wrote:
Yes it's a little confusing. I run my airport extreme in N ONLY mode. That will keep the link speed at 270mbs. occasionally I see 300mbs but rarely. I link Apple TV, iMac, and Macbook Pro this way. For my iPhone and other G type devices I run a seperate G only network. Just turn NAT off, change the ip address and connect the 2 routers together via ethernet cable. For this i use my old Linksys router.

Everything sees everything else on the network and i can maintain link speeds of 270mbs for N and 54mbs for G.

If you run the airport extreme in dual band, the N network will drop back to 130mps, still faster than G but half of what you could have.

Message was edited by: captfred

I run mine in N only (5GHz) and continually see 130MBit. If I turn my Airport card in my mac off, and back on It'll jump to 270. But every time I adjust the Extreme or something else happens my iMac will lock to 130 until I reset the connection by disabling and re-enabling the airport card. Same for my AppleTV, I can see via the Wireless Client menu on the Extreme that it's connected at 130. If I restart the AppleTV it'll pop up to 270 and this is with the AppleTV being FEET from the Extreme. I may run it wired, but I don't like stringing wires all over the place. I've also got an Express on the way to 'dual band' my network. Running "N" only when the link speed is correct (above 130) gets me very nice speeds to my airdisk. I move a 700 meg movie in 2 minutes as opposed to 10 with a 130mbit link speed.

Quite a pain in the arse.

OK, thank you both.
I do have a G Airport Extreme that I could use for this purpose. However, it just occurred to me that I have a PS3 on the network, too. The PS3 could not "see" my old G Extreme router which is partly why I got the N router in the first place. The N has much greater abilities in range and that enabled the weak air card in the PS3 to "see" it.
If I understand this correctly it makes no difference whether all G devices are off/sleeping or not, since once you tell the N router to handle both G and N it limits its throughput dramatically. Am I getting it now?
If the above is true then maybe I need some sort of antenna or USB device that will allow the PS3 to "see" or be in range of the old G router and then daisy chain the G downrange of the N via ethernet like you say. Or maybe something that will make the PS3 N. That way then I don't have to convert all my other devices to N, well, can't anyway because of the iPhone. But if I just scratch the iPhone off the list I maybe I can adapt everything else to N with attachments or cards. Crikey.
What now? I'm going to make this happen one way or the other. Evil genius now at work.

If I understand this correctly it makes no difference whether all G devices are off/sleeping or not, since once you tell the N router to handle both G and N it limits its throughput dramatically. Am I getting it now?

Correct. The rule is as follows:

1. To get the full 300 rate, ALL devices that can connect to ]the AEBSn must be 802.11n devices AND the AEBSn is set to n-only. Moreover, if you have other neighboring 802.11g networks around, it help to make the AEBSn use the 5GHz band.
2. Once you allow b/g-devices to connect to the AEBSn, the n-devices will be limited to 100-130 rate

If the above is true then maybe I need some sort of antenna or USB device that will allow the PS3 to "see" or be in range of the old G router and then daisy chain the G downrange of the N via ethernet like you say. Or maybe something that will make the PS3 N.

You can actually use a wireless game extender that connects to the PS3 ethernet port. There are several on the market.

Thanks again. Most helpful. I also learned today that my cable provider is gving me 10mbps which is the limit of G anyway, is it not? It would cost 20$ more per month to get 20 mbps. Not sure if I'm getting all I could out the N anyway unless I upgraded my service.

neptune2000

Thanks again. Most helpful. I also learned today that my cable provider is gving me 10mbps which is the limit of G anyway, is it not? It would cost 20$ more per month to get 20 mbps. Not sure if I'm getting all I could out the N anyway unless I upgraded my service.

802.11g maximum data rate is 54 Mbit/s. Getting a 20 Mbit/s line WILL make a difference.
post #213 of 231 Old 02-01-2008, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejokell View Post

I think you're vastly over complicating the issue. If you're only concerned with the aTV connecting to your router at N speeds, it will. Do you lose some throughput by enabling G compatibility? Sure. But it'll still be faster than using a G router.

I wouldn't worry about any of it - you'll be good to go with your current connection and setup.

That's what I came up with, too. What a pita. If this will keep others from going thru all this then it was worth it.
post #214 of 231 Old 02-02-2008, 03:07 PM

Been reading through the threads. I was wondering if I needed HDMI for Apple TV, as I only have two HDMI Inputs on my 605, one for the BluRay and one for the DCT6416. I guess that with the Apple TV, I will be using Component Video, is that correct?

Thanks
post #215 of 231 Old 02-02-2008, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naftalim View Post

Been reading through the threads. I was wondering if I needed HDMI for Apple TV, as I only have two HDMI Inputs on my 605, one for the BluRay and one for the DCT6416. I guess that with the Apple TV, I will be using Component Video, is that correct?

Thanks

Either that or you'd have to get an HDMI switch.

post #216 of 231 Old 02-03-2008, 06:47 AM

Thanks, got an HDMI Switch, Belkin PureAV 3-1. Managed to program my Harmony 670 for the Right and left Arrows but not for the 1-3 numbers. Anyone use this and manage to program their Harmony for these numbers?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejokell View Post

Either that or you'd have to get an HDMI switch.

LL
post #217 of 231 Old 02-04-2008, 06:27 PM

Just picked up an HDMI switch from monoprice 4x1 1.3b HDMI (only 40 bucks) and luckily my Harmony 890 software had it in there. I'm not sure how the 670 works but can it learn commands? If there's a button that my remote doesn't have in the database I just align the IR sensors, it learns the command and I can add the button to the lcd screen.
post #218 of 231 Old 02-10-2008, 06:00 PM

Has anyone tried using the Turbo.264 encoder to create full size appleTV files from EyeTV? I know the EyeTV won't output them by itself, but if the Turbo could do this then it might be worth the $100...
post #219 of 231 Old 02-12-2008, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
AwGaad,

Save your $100. Wish I had done that... actually $80 before 12/31/07. I'm hopeful ElGato may integrate Turbo.264 with EyeTV better some day, but for now it's pretty disappointing. I'm back to VisualHUB with my transcodes.
post #220 of 231 Old 02-12-2008, 03:59 PM

Liked: 13
Since the update is now apparently available, can anyone who has it talk a bit about the HD video quality and download speed?
post #221 of 231 Old 02-12-2008, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharding View Post

Since the update is now apparently available, can anyone who has it talk a bit about the HD video quality and download speed?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=992861
post #222 of 231 Old 02-24-2008, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 93
It took me over an hour to download Michael Clayton and the aq and pq were better
than sd up conversion almost identical to comcast hd picture for the money and
on movies i will watch only once this will be the way i am going.
post #223 of 231 Old 02-25-2008, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I just ordered In the Valley of Elah, it'll be my First rental, but since I can't get them from Netflix , this is the way I will go.
post #224 of 231 Old 02-25-2008, 08:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 386
With the addition of streaming HD, Apple TV is starting to look good. The biggest weakness I have found is that you can't find a list of available HD movies for Apple TV on the Apple Web site. Apparently, the only way you can find them from Apple is with an Apple TV. Not to worry, though, somebody else has done it for them:

http://www.appletvjunkie.com/appletv...Home/Home.html

Enjoy!
post #225 of 231 Old 02-25-2008, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

With the addition of streaming HD, Apple TV is starting to look good. The biggest weakness I have found is that you can't find a list of available HD movies for Apple TV on the Apple Web site. Apparently, the only way you can find them from Apple is with an Apple TV. Not to worry, though, somebody else has done it for them:

http://www.appletvjunkie.com/appletv...Home/Home.html

Enjoy!

Bookmarked. Thank you!

post #226 of 231 Old 02-25-2008, 03:30 PM

How large a screen are you viewing on? I have a 65" Mits, and I am debating buying an one of these for HD downloads, but I am curious about the PQ at that size.
post #227 of 231 Old 02-25-2008, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdenichilo View Post

How large a screen are you viewing on? I have a 65" Mits, and I am debating buying an one of these for HD downloads, but I am curious about the PQ at that size.

Last week my wife and I watched two movies on my 72"-wide (81" diagonal) front projection system (Sony VPL-VW50 SXRD projector) downloaded to our ATV: Live Free or Die Hard and Ratatouille. On both, the picture quality was excellent. Not as good as Blu Ray, but better than an upconverted standard DVD. So I wouldn't worry much about picture quality on a 65" rear projector. The DD5.1 sound on Die Hard was terrific - on that front, I could tell no difference between the download and the Blu-Ray disc (I am only set up for DD or DTS5.1, so I can't comment on whether the advanced audio codecs on BR discs sound better). Ratatouille had only a 2-channel mix, but it was fine for that particular film.

There's no question that I'll buy "collectors item" films on Blu-Ray. There's also no question that for movies I just want to watch once (which is most of them), the ATV will be my source.

John C.
post #228 of 231 Old 02-25-2008, 04:27 PM

I watched Michael Clayton last night on a Sony VPL-VW100 on a 144" wide screen and it looked fine; much better than DVD but not as good as Blu-Ray. I feed 720P component into a Lumagen HDQ processor and then scale it to 1080P. Overall, I am pleasantly surprised.

Chip
post #229 of 231 Old 02-25-2008, 05:50 PM

Seems like the one month wait period for aTV rentals has fallen by the wayside with movies like Michael Clayton; Jessie James; and In the Valley of Elah showing up on the queue. Good Job!
post #230 of 231 Old 02-25-2008, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyeesf View Post

Seems like the one month wait period for aTV rentals has fallen by the wayside with movies like Michael Clayton; Jessie James; and In the Valley of Elah showing up on the queue. Good Job!

I use mine to the fullest you tube,podcast in hd,photos and movies in hd
along with 6gb's of music for what it does and what little it cost i will be
keeping mine.
post #231 of 231 Old 02-25-2008, 07:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyeesf View Post

Yeah, that’s impressive. The DVDs of those pictures won’t be released until later this week at the earliest. The downside is that there aren’t many HD movies to pick from so far but Apple apparently intends to increase its inventory quickly.

According to Amazon the DVDs of some of the other Oscar worthy films, such as No Country for Old Men, Atonement, Juno, and Sweeney Todd will be released in March and early April. If so, that gives me hope that Apple will offer them at about the same time.

EDIT 2/26/08 -- I just now ordered a 160Gb Apple TV from Amazon. I am really looking forward to receiving it.
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page