isco iiis lens retail price - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 12-30-2008, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anybody out there have a ball park MSRP for the NEW Isco IIIs lens it will probably be out of my price range but if there is any information out there I would be intereseted to know as I am considering a CIH set up with my new Themscene HD80.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-30-2008, 04:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
From memory, I picked my ISCOIII up for $4,500 second hand, excellent condition. But rare to see them. Think around $6k new.
post #3 of 15 Old 12-30-2008, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1971 View Post

From memory, I picked my ISCOIII up for $4,500 second hand, excellent condition. But rare to see them. Think around $6k new.

He's asking about ther ISCOIIIs and not the ISCOIII. The S version, smaller lens is I believe about 4600.00 retail and the bigger lens is the 6k one.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #4 of 15 Old 12-30-2008, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd definitely go for the bigger one. You never know what projector you might have in the future.
post #5 of 15 Old 12-31-2008, 02:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for the advice and MSRP if this is in US Dollars I imagine it will be the equivalent in UK Pounds.

I might have to have a re:think although I would really like to get into CIH at some point in the future are there any cheaper alternatives ?

I have seen Panamorph,Aussiemorph and Prismasonic are they really comparable to the Isco lenses, I realise Isco make lenses for real Movie Projectors and they are cylindrical as opposed to prism based so it is understandable that they are so expensive and of a higher quality hence the price.
post #6 of 15 Old 12-31-2008, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

The cost/performance ratio of a Panamorph or Prismasonic would likely be a better match with an HD80 than the Isco III. It would not make sense to pair a $6000 lens with a $2500 projector. I am using a 'B' spec Panamorph UH380 (~$1400) with a Benq W5000 (similar to your HD80) and love the results.
post #7 of 15 Old 12-31-2008, 11:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by f300v10 View Post

The cost/performance ratio of a Panamorph or Prismasonic would likely be a better match with an HD80 than the Isco III. It would not make sense to pair a $6000 lens with a $2500 projector. I am using a 'B' spec Panamorph UH380 (~$1400) with a Benq W5000 (similar to your HD80) and love the results.

It would make sense if you thought the anamorphic lens could be used in the future with other projectors and wanted the flexibility of the ISCOIII.
That's what I did/am doing.

Here is a link for TechHT.

There are contacts for sales and tech support on ISCO lenses and Cineslides.
Also, they sometimes have "B stock" items that may have unnoticeable blemishes (based on mounting).

Good luck.

Mike
post #8 of 15 Old 01-06-2009, 06:56 PM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post

There are contacts for sales and tech support on ISCO lenses and Cineslides.
Also, they sometimes have "B stock" items that may have unnoticeable blemishes (based on mounting).

Thanks Mike.
re: B-stocks, to be clear, we have never had a B-stock lens. Sorry guys. But we do occasionally have a B-stock CineSlide due to anodize finish cosmetic flaws.
post #9 of 15 Old 01-07-2009, 07:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Good point.
A b-stock lens wouldn't be as acceptable as the transport.
Thanks for clarifying.

Mike
post #10 of 15 Old 01-08-2009, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm not sure what that last post means, but did anyone ever find the answer to the original question? What is the retail price of the IIIs?

Also waiting to find out if either that or the Schneider would be better for an RS20 (since they're one company now, what's the difference?) There's a post out there that says the Schneider will work at 1.8 throw ratio (better if longer), I assume the ISCO IIs would too, but has anyone seen any actual reviews or specs?

Thanks,

Jeff

Finally went digital: RS20, ISCO IIIs, DIY 10.5' wide torus screen, Stewart StudioTek 1.3 G3 with 4 way masking and adjustable image size
post #11 of 15 Old 01-08-2009, 08:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Smith View Post

I'm not sure what that last post means, but did anyone ever find the answer to the original question? What is the retail price of the IIIs?

Also waiting to find out if either that or the Schneider would be better for an RS20 (since they're one company now, what's the difference?) There's a post out there that says the Schneider will work at 1.8 throw ratio (better if longer), I assume the ISCO IIs would too, but has anyone seen any actual reviews or specs?

I would talk to Scott or others at TechHT.

The price varies -- I think -- because it is based in Germany and the exchange rate. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Also price has gone up (not down) over time -- unlike consumer electronics.

I'm not an expert, but I believe the Schneider is a smaller lens than the ISCO, which may make a difference for some applications.
People more knowledgeable than me can weigh in...

Mike
post #12 of 15 Old 01-08-2009, 01:33 PM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Jeff:

The IIIS is smaller than the IIIL by a good bit, but larger than the CineDigitar. All 3 have adjustable astigmatism. The IIIS and IIIL are made the same way internally I am told by Isco, the IIIS is simply smaller. The IIIL lists for about $800 less than the IIIL. MSRP around $5600-$5800. Street varies by dealer, and whether or not it is bundled with a CineSlide transport or IscoScopeII stand.

I have had a IIIS and "played" with it, but I do not have one in stock. Takes a couple of days to get them usually. I also have not had the RS20 in hand yet. Since the CineDigitar is reputed to be "close" to working with the RS20, my expectation is that the IIIS would work fine with the JVC, however that is a hypothesis. My personal preference is the Isco over the CineDigitar. Same company owns them, yes, however that is at a high level. They are still made at two entirely different locations by two seperate companies. I expect we will see some synergies develop in the future, but for now, for practical purposes, they are different products. For the Isco, and not for a profit reason, my recommendation continues to be the IIIL due to it's long term flexibility and resale value. It won't matter what PJ you own in 2 years, you will never have to change that lens. You could easily need to change the others. I posted a thread with photos on the IIIS here on AVS back when I had the pre-production unit in hand.

They can be purchased direct from TechHT, from dealers, or if you are an existing AVS customer, Jason here at AVS may be able to assist with better than MSRP pricing direct or via referral.

Hope that helps,
Scott
post #13 of 15 Old 12-09-2011, 01:20 PM

Everyone here is more knowledgeable than I. I just have two questions:
I have a short-throw lens from a Runco VX-3. It is obviously about 15 years old but I know it cost over $12,000 at the time. It is .8:1 fixed. Does it still have any value as a great piece of glass or is it for the dumpster?
I also have an old Runco anamorphic lens - very large, about 8" in diameter on the projection side. I do NOT know what projector it came from. It just says Runco Widevision Cinema Grade Anamorphic Lens: 1024P 2:36:1. Same question: useful or dumpster?
Thanks tin advance to anyone that has a clue!
post #14 of 15 Old 12-09-2011, 01:52 PM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Send me a pm. I'll help you identify it. Scott
post #15 of 15 Old 12-10-2011, 04:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 46
The ISCO II is a good value alternative if you can pick one up on the second hand market, but isn't ideal if you want to move it out of the way for 16:9 content as you need to adjust the zoom slightly. It's smaller than the III models, but I think a tad larger than the Cine-digitar (can anyone confirm?). I don't know how suitable it is with your pj, but thought it worth a mention just in case. They don't turn up that often unfortunately.

I bought an ISCO II just to see how it compared to the Prismasonic H1000 prism lens I had, and found it to be an improvement, so sold the Prismasonic. I don't know how well it would compare to a prism lens with a corrector element fitted though - I would think there would still be a improvement with the ISCO but how much I couldn't say.

I think the best value new lens would be the cylindrical on offer from Prismasonic via either AVS or Prismasonic direct, but you'd end up paying something like 22% tax from Prismasonic, and 6% duty plus 20% vat from AVS, so either way, around £2500+. Again though, you need to know if it'll work with your pj. I'm sure Prismasonic could confirm that though.

The cheaper alternatives aren't as futureproof due to their smaller size of course.

Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page