AVS Forum banner

Cih subtitle master thread

68K views 353 replies 58 participants last post by  jake51 
#1 ·
If you have a link or just want to list a title, put it in this thread. I will be moving everything to this first page on a regular basis.

This list is only for ENGLISH language subs. (Star Wars-type alien translations, foreign films with English subs or English language films with English subs for certain scenes where another language is spoken.) This list WILL NOT cover SDH subs or subs in a foreign language for an English language release, although I think another thread is a great idea to cover those titles.

****DISCLAIMER****

Some STANDARD DVD titles on this list may only be CIH safe if using certain Dvd players. Some titles listed as safe may in fact not be "safe" with certain players and settings. This was brought up by a concerned member. Someone step in and PM me if you know otherwise, but I believe that BD titles are going to be the same regardless of player as this is an authoring issue and players are not capable of relocating subs.

[EDIT]Please note: Most Blu-ray Players will shift the Bit Map subtitle on DVD up by approx 10% giving the illusion that the STs are actually in the picture. This is why Star Wars has been moved to STs out of the picture.

SUBTITLES IN PICTURE

400 Blows BD

10,000 BC BD

A Mighty Heart BD

Assembly (Hong Kong import) BD

Australia BD (REGION B)

Basic Instict BD

Black Book (Zwartboek) BD ***UK VERSION ONLY!!!

Body of Lies BD

Boondock Saints BD

Bourne Supremacy BD

Bourne Ultimatum BD

Bourne Identity BD

Clear and Present Danger BD

Contact DVD

Dark Water BD

Day the Earth Stood Still, The (2008) BD

Death Race BD

The Decent BD

Dejavu BD

Die Another Day BD

Die Hard II BD

Die Hard with a Vengeance BD

Domino BD

Drag Me Into Hell BD [A]

Eight Below BD

End of Days HD-DVD

Fearless HD-DVD & BD

First Blood BD

Flightplan BD

Four Brothers BD

Galaxy Quest BD [A]

Gammorah (UK Release) BD

G.I. Joe [Blu-ray, region A]

The Golden Compass [BD, Region A]

Goonies [region B] BD

Heyy Babyy (Eros) BD

Hitman BD

Hunt for Red October BD

The Incredibles DVD

Independence Day BD

The Incredible Hulk (2008) BD

Inglourious Basterds BD

Iron Man BD

Italian Job BD

JCVD (UK import) BD

Kill Bill Vol 1 BD ** 2 lines of dialog drop into lower bar, but it is not missed

Kill Bill Vol 2 BD

King Kong HD-DVD

The Kingdom DVD

Kung Fu Panda BD

La Vie en Rose BD (adjustable subtitles)

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen D-Theater

Let the Right One In BD

Live Free or Die Hard BD

Lives of Others BD

Love Actually BD

Max Payne BD

Miami Vice BD

Miracle at St. Anna BD

Mission Impossible BD

Mission Impossible 2 BD

Mission Impossible 3 BD

Mr. & Mrs. Smith BD

Mummy BD

Mummy Returns BD

Mummy 3: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor BD

Om Shanti Om (Eros) BD

The Orphanage BD

Passion of the Christ BD, DVD, D-Theater

Patriot Games BD

Pierrot le Fou BD

Pineapple Express (Apple TV)

Quantum of Solace BD

Rambo (2008) BD

The Rock (UK Import) BD

Ronin BD

Shooter BD

Sivaji

Slumdog Millionaire BD (REGION B)

Speedracer BD

Spiderman 3 BD

Stargate BD

Starman BD [A]

Star Trek: Original Motion Picture Collection BD

Sum of all Fears BD

Sunshine BD

Synecdoche, New York BD

Taegukgi (Korean import) BD

Team American DVD

Three Days of the Condor BD

Transformers BD

Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen [both Scope and "Big Screen Editions"]

Transiberian BD

Transporter 3 BD

Tropic Thunder BD [A]

True Lies DVD

Truth About Charlie HDNET

U-571 BD

Volver BD

Wall E BD

War BD

We Were Soldiers BD

World is not Enough BD

SUBTITLES NOT IN PICTURE

30 Days Of Night BD

36 Quai des Orfèvres (Department 36) - French import

Angles And Demons BD half in half out of the active picture

Assembly UK VERSION BD **HK VERSION IS CIH SAFE

Black Book (Zwartboek) BD **UK VERSION IS CIH SAFE

Blood: The Last Vampire BD

CJ7 BD

Curse of the Golden Flower BD

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

Dances with Wolves Blu-Ray (German Import, Region B, Kinowelt) Half in half out of the active picture.

Day Watch BD

Dragon Wars BD

district b13 BD & DVD

Flash Point (HK Import) BD

Four Flies on Grey Velvet SD DVD

Godzilla BD [A]

Gran Torino BD

Hancock BD - The subs are absolutely not important. It is a very short scene at the beginning.

The Hidden Fortress Criterion Collection DVD

House of Flying Daggers BD

The International BD

Jean De Florette/Manon des Sources DVD

Jodhaa Akbar

Kung Fu Hustle BD

La Femme Nikita BD

Letters from Iwo Jima BD

Mad Detective (UK Release) BD

Max Manus: Man of War (UK Import)

MR73 (French Import) BD

The Myth BD

Oceans 13 BD

Oldboy BD

OSS 117: Cairo, Nest of Spies (French import) BD

Patton BD

Pineapple Express BD

The Professionals BD

Redcliff (HK VERS) BD

Revolver BD

Rock N Roller (REGION B) BD

Saawariya BD

Seven Pounds BD

Star Wars: A New Hope SE DVD

Star Wars: Return of the Jedi SE DVD

Star Wars: The Phantom Menace DVD

Star Wars: Attack Of The Clones DVD

Star Wars: A New Hope - original version DVD

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back - original version DVD

Star Wars: Return of the Jedi - original version DVD

Tell No One (FORMAT NOT SPECIFIED)

Vantage Point BD

Warriors of Heaven BD

Youth Without Youth BD

See less See more
#277 ·
Anyone know about the "fixed" theatrical subtitles for LET THE RIGHT ONE IN on BD? I see it's on the "safe" list, but I just watched the Netflix downloadable version (which I thought was taken from the same master for DVD and BD), and the subtitles were outside 2.35:1 on top and below the frame! I want to buy this BD, and I have the excellent Oppo subtitle shift... but I can't do anything about it if the subs are out above AND below.

Someone please confirm that this title is safe... with the "theatrical subs".

Thanks!

#278 ·
Ok this is going to cause a stir *get the big wooden paddle ready

Even though AVATAR is 1.78:1 on BD, it should be included as CIH safe (the same as THE DARK NIGHT and TRANSFORMERS 2) those wanting to watch this film in Scope can because A the framing actually works, and B the sub titles are positioned well into the frame so will not be clipped nor have to be moved.

When it comes to cropping this film from its OAR of 1.78:1, could there be a better line of text?

#279 ·
Anyone know if the first 3 Indiana Jones films have any english subtitles at anytime in the films? I was going to pick up the Laser Disc versions of these films but can't remember if the the films do or don't have any enlish subs.

Thanks,

Tom

#280 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Monahan /forum/post/18573071

Anyone know if the first 3 Indiana Jones films have any english subtitles at anytime in the films?

The only STs that come to mind are the dates which are well into the picture.

Why LD? Why not the DVDs which look and sound great BTW? A BD player will shift the STs on a DVD up anyway and why the STAR WARS films now work for CIH.

#281 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX /forum/post/18573971

The only STs that come to mind are the dates which are well into the picture.

Why LD? Why not the DVDs which look and sound great BTW? A BD player will shift the STs on a DVD up anyway and why the STAR WARS films now work for CIH.

I don't want to buy the dvd's because of cost as I am willing to wait for the blu-rays. I just picked up an ld-w1 laserdisc player for nostalgia reasons mostly and just want a few flicks to play on it most of the time. I had these back in the day on LD but regret selling them.

#282 ·
So do you have an external scaler? LD is a 4 x 3 format, so will not scale for CIH without assistance.

#283 ·
I have a Lumagen HDP.

#284 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Monahan /forum/post/18576353

I have a Lumagen HDP.

Ok, however a scaler won't shift subtitles as it does not recognize the difference between the actual video and an overlay bitmap. Also with LD (being analogue), the STs are part of the image, so there is no option to move them anyway.

#285 ·
Thanks for the very interesting explanation. I always learn so much from your posts in this CIH forum. I plan on watching LD on the 4x3 portion of my screen. I rented the Indiana Jones trilogy on dvd and even they looked like crap from my viewing distance using scope.

Tom

#286 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Monahan /forum/post/18609594

I rented the Indiana Jones trilogy on dvd and even they looked like crap from my viewing distance using scope.

They can only work with what they have. I agree some parts were not the best, however the overall PQ was better than the LD (I only have Last Crusade on LD) I have.

#289 ·
A Single Man -- a Sony disc -- has one scene with Spanish dialogue. English subtitles are inside the picture!

So, apparently it took them a year since hosting that poll, but they finally got around to taking action on this.

#290 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/18956088

So, apparently it took them a year since hosting that poll, but they finally got around to taking action on this.

Does this mean we might see a heap of double dip re-releases from them?

#292 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/18960900

I predict a 0% chance of that happening.

Really?

There is at least one SONY title that has ST position in the menu - where the option for higher position is labeled "projector". Sorry I can not recall the name of the film right now. I've not seen the entire film yet, however the part I did watch (it is a period piece) and uses classical (Mozart?) music during a battle sequence where cannon balls tear through a luxurious home.

#293 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX /forum/post/18964335

Really?

There is at least one SONY title that has ST position in the menu - where the option for higher position is labeled "projector". Sorry I can not recall the name of the film right now. I've not seen the entire film yet, however the part I did watch (it is a period piece) and uses classical (Mozart?) music during a battle sequence where cannon balls tear through a luxurious home.

I believe you're thinking of Immortal Beloved. Sony did that as a test, and then decided that it was too much of a hassle and never followed through again.

It was a long, hard battle to get them to change their subtitle position policy for titles going forward. There'd be very little financial return for the company to start reissuing old titles just to fix subtitle placement.

#294 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/18966748

I believe you're thinking of Immortal Beloved.

Thanks Josh, yes that is it. Maybe all titles should have been done this way from the beginning.

#295 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX /forum/post/18967569

Thanks Josh, yes that is it. Maybe all titles should have been done this way from the beginning.

There's a lot of things they should have done but didn't. We were lucky it only took them a year to follow through on their promise to fix the subtitle position on new releases. Let's hope they don't forget again and lapse back to the old policy.

#296 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/18970538

There's a lot of things they should have done but didn't. We were lucky it only took them a year to follow through on their promise to fix the subtitle position on new releases. Let's hope they don't forget again and lapse back to the old policy.

Yes lets hope. Whilst we are at it, can we hope for a true anamorphic transfer too? How many posts did we need to get the ST shifted? And would that be possible for Scaled images too?

#297 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX /forum/post/18975304

Yes lets hope. Whilst we are at it, can we hope for a true anamorphic transfer too? How many posts did we need to get the ST shifted? And would that be possible for Scaled images too?

I had to practically beat people over the head to get them to understand why the subtitle position needed to be bumped up a notch. That's a change that cost the studio absolutely nothing to accomplish. Even after agreeing, it took them a year to actually do anything. Had there been an expense of even 1/100th of a penny, it wouldn't have happened. Warner Bros. still refuses to even consider the issue.

There is an incredible inertia and resistance to change at these studios, unless something can be quantifiably proven to bring them a significant financial return.

Anamophic transfers just aren't going to happen on Blu-ray. The Blu-ray hardware spec doesn't support downconversion to standard letterbox, which would be required for everyone with a 16:9 display (in order words, 99.99999999999% of all Blu-ray viewers). The expense and logistics involved in mandating firmware updates for every single Blu-ray player, past and present, that has ever been sold, make this an impossibility.

Perhaps on the next video format...

#298 ·
Hello.

I'm doubting they'll be anything but oppo, but I was wondering are there any "cheap" blu ray players that can do subtitle shift anytime soon (or get a firmware update). Excluding the Oppo models (I might get them later instead), but I'm asking this because I own a few Sony blu rays (Broken Embraces, The Class) that have subtitles in the black bar. Will they plan on any budget blu ray players to have this feature?

#300 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Garci /forum/post/18978680

Some Philips models can do subtitle shift. Philips did it before Oppo.

OPPO had been working on the feature for a very long time before it was ever implemented into a public release fw.

Because their players are so packed full of features and support so many formats and codecs, it's very difficult sometimes to implement a new feature, because it can easily screw up another feature in the process. So was the case with the sub shift feature.

So it's much easier for Philips to have implemented it into a more basic player. Not to take away from them doing it at all in the first place.

It's a huge deal that they did, but I don't think most people are even aware of it... not even CIH users.

Philips isn't exactly known for having the best consumer products on the market, though some of their higher end displays are quite nice.

They should have used the sub shift feature in a higher end player. It could have gotten a lot more attention that way.

#301 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/18977226

Perhaps on the next video format...

Yeah, no doubts there

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.