Mark

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
post #3 of 72 Old 01-13-2009, 04:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
But is it an option for those of us who own a 2.37 screen with a width above 2.5m?

I thought that 2.37 is only "important" for anamorphic lens users? Wouldn't it make more sense to choose 2.40 for a TV like this?
post #4 of 72 Old 01-13-2009, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Not really. If you look at the history of TV's, they have always been based on 1.33:1, so 1.33 x 1.33 = 1.78:1 and 1.78 x 1.33 = 2.37...

Mark

Mark Techer

post #5 of 72 Old 01-13-2009, 10:05 PM

Many here said this would never happen. Glad to see some manufacturers still want to push the masses in the right direction.
post #6 of 72 Old 01-14-2009, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Bring them on, it only makes our way of watching films more mainstream

Mark

Mark Techer

post #7 of 72 Old 01-14-2009, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Wow...very cool. This pic of a package makes me think they intend to make it mainstream. Or perhaps I'm just hoping.

Jack Gilvey
SVS Customer Service

post #8 of 72 Old 01-14-2009, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

That is cool

Mark

Mark Techer

post #9 of 72 Old 01-14-2009, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Since the resolution is 2560x1080, I suppose that the aspect ratio is actually 21.33:9, or 64:27 to be exact.
post #10 of 72 Old 01-14-2009, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

And five point one in audio is actually five point zere zero five, but market rounding suggests the name five point one roll will off the tounge a bit easier, so lets call this 21:9 or Scope TV...

Mark

Mark Techer

post #11 of 72 Old 01-14-2009, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieTheater View Post

Many here said this would never happen. Glad to see some manufacturers still want to push the masses in the right direction.

I was one who thought it would not! I'm quite surprised. Perhaps this means we can hope for a new hi-rez audio effort on bluray after all.

Certainty and conviction are a sure sign you don't know what you're talking about! The world is not black and white, rather shades of grey!
post #12 of 72 Old 01-14-2009, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post

I was one who thought it would not! I'm quite surprised. Perhaps this means we can hope for a new hi-rez audio effort on bluray after all.

Yeah BD Music discs would be cool but I only hope this forces the studios to release true anamorphic titles on BD now...

Mark

Mark Techer

post #13 of 72 Old 01-15-2009, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

...or at least stop putting subtitles in the black bars.
post #14 of 72 Old 01-15-2009, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gilvey View Post

This pic of a package makes me think they intend to make it mainstream.

Based on the size of the player in that pic, I estimate the screen area to be 48.5" x 20.5" approximately, which is about the same height as a 42"-diagonal 16:9 screen.
post #15 of 72 Old 01-15-2009, 08:24 AM

I just saw this on engadget, and was just coming over to post about here! Looks like I'm a couple of days late! I remember posting a link to a curved extra wide screen rear projection gaming monitor ok here about a year ago (I think it was at last years CES) things have certainly moved on! It does look very nice, can't wait to see one in the flesh. Wonder what the pricing would be like.

How will this actually work? Will it have some sort of autodetection of source aspect ratio and then scale accordingly or will we see bluray players natively output at this aspect ratio?
post #16 of 72 Old 01-15-2009, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

While I really want scope pj's, I don't think scope tv's are going to help our cause and may in fact hurt it.

Here's my logic...

Scope tv sales will not be good since majority of people will hate pillars but at the same time will hate having HD/SD content stretched all the time. The sucky sales of scope tv's will make manufacturers reluctant to introduce scope projectors. I think scope aspect display devices will only flourish for projectors with masking systems and will always be a niche product.

Once scope projectors get introduced, we're all going to have a several thousand dollar paperweight on our hands. I think ISCO 3 owners should start dumping their lenses now for a considerable discount to avoid this.
post #17 of 72 Old 01-15-2009, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocoloco View Post

While I really want scope pj's, I don't think scope tv's are going to help our cause and may in fact hurt it.

Here's my logic...

Scope tv sales will not be good since majority of people will hate pillars but at the same time will hate having HD/SD content stretched all the time. The sucky sales of scope tv's will make manufacturers reluctant to introduce scope projectors. I think scope aspect display devices will only flourish for projectors with masking systems and will always be a niche product.

Once scope projectors get introduced, we're all going to have a several thousand dollar paperweight on our hands. I think ISCO 3 owners should start dumping their lenses now for a considerable discount to avoid this.

I'm hoping that most people would rather have the black bars on the sides of their TV picture instead of the top and bottom. At any rate, I hope this is a prelude to scope projectors, since masking a fixed screen will be much easier....not to mention the elimination of anamorphic lenses.
post #18 of 72 Old 01-15-2009, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX View Post

Yeah BD Music discs would be cool but I only hope this forces the studios to release true anamorphic titles on BD now...

Mark

A BIG FAT +1 on that mate!

Certainty and conviction are a sure sign you don't know what you're talking about! The world is not black and white, rather shades of grey!
post #19 of 72 Old 01-15-2009, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phisch View Post

I'm hoping that most people would rather have the black bars on the sides of their TV picture instead of the top and bottom.

True, but it comes down to what content people watch most on their tv's... and that will be either 16:9 (HD)/4:3 (SD). People don't want to see a stretched image or pillars most of the time just to have full screen for the occasional movie. It's the other way around. Can you image how bad 4:3 stretched out to scope will look?
post #20 of 72 Old 01-15-2009, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

wow glad to see that lowest common denomination does not exist in tv.. lol

21:9 = 7:3

Do NOT let the magic smoke out because it is impossible to put the magic smoke back in!!!!
post #21 of 72 Old 01-15-2009, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Excellent - and hopefully projectors won't be too far behind.

Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
post #22 of 72 Old 01-15-2009, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Good grief. "I'm hoping that most people would rather have the black bars on the sides of their TV picture instead of the top and bottom." Most people would rather have bars on the side of their TV 99% of the time rather than on the top and bottom of their TV 1% of the time. What do you think most people watch with their TV?

Don't get me wrong. I'm absolutely thrilled for the 0.01% of the population that will rush out to the buy this TV. Of course most of those people will immediately return the TV because 4:3 Stretch-o-Vision on this beast is unwatchable even to them, but viva la options!
post #23 of 72 Old 01-15-2009, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

You've missed the point; in this forum it's something of interest since most of us watch movies and want our movies wider than 16:9 (hence CIH) and if someone has bothered to make a 2.37:1 panel we may see that in a projector sometime. If you like scope movies, this is a good thing.

Gary

Quote:

post #24 of 72 Old 01-15-2009, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

It would be interesting to see how many of us CIH'ers would even buy a scope tv. I watch all my movies in my CIH theater, not on a "small" tv. If we were to buy a tv, I'd buy a standard 16:9 tv since all my tv content is either 16:9 or 4:3.
post #25 of 72 Old 01-15-2009, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Lightfoot View Post

You've missed the point; in this forum it's something of interest since most of us watch movies and want our movies wider than 16:9 (hence CIH) and if someone has bothered to make a 2.37:1 panel we may see that in a projector sometime. If you like scope movies, this is a good thing.

Gary

You're right. This news should be absolutely thrilling for the folks in this particular forum. I was seriously happy that someone released a TV for you guys. I just took exception to the comment that "most people" should prefer this TV. This TV makes absolutely no sense for the common Stretch-o-Vision public. That's all I'm saying.
post #26 of 72 Old 01-15-2009, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFunBoater View Post

You're right. This news should be absolutely thrilling for the folks in this particular forum. I was seriously happy that someone released a TV for you guys. I just took exception to the comment that "most people" should prefer this TV. This TV makes absolutely no sense for the common Stretch-o-Vision public. That's all I'm saying.

I think in the most part you're probably right. Even today I see friends and family with 16:9 tvs that have people in all the wrong aspect ratios (short and stubby mostly) so this would probably only be worse for them.

I guess if you watch a lot of movies this tv may make some sense in a room that's not ideal for a projector set up (or if you just want a tv). But at least it offers a glimmer of hope for us here.

Gary

Quote:

post #27 of 72 Old 01-15-2009, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Lets hope history repeats The first 16:9 TVs I saw in the very early 1990's were from Philips and JVC. At that time, there was no 16:9 content, so the only way to use this set was to apply the zoom mode and clip off the black bars of 4 x 3 transfered LDs. No one really wanted one of these TVs, then along comes DVD and suddenly this is cool.

If more than just one manufacture releases this type of display, it should force studios to release sotware that is compitible.

As for Scope projectors and the end of life for lenses, I don't think so.

In fact, if this monitor shape becomes the "future" of TV, and formats like BD begin to offer true anamorphic titles, then the anamorophic lens becomes a must have, not the expensive paper weight many think it is.

Seriously, I think we will see a new format before BD adopts 21:9 as a standard, but there is no reason why TV should not adopt to an even wider frame. How good will sports look shoot in 2560 x 1080?

Mark

Mark Techer

post #28 of 72 Old 01-15-2009, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFunBoater View Post

Good grief. "I'm hoping that most people would rather have the black bars on the sides of their TV picture instead of the top and bottom." Most people would rather have bars on the side of their TV 99% of the time rather than on the top and bottom of their TV 1% of the time. What do you think most people watch with their TV?

Don't get me wrong. I'm absolutely thrilled for the 0.01% of the population that will rush out to the buy this TV. Of course most of those people will immediately return the TV because 4:3 Stretch-o-Vision on this beast is unwatchable even to them, but viva la options!

When I used the term "most people" I was refering to the people who will be buying this TV, not the general TV buying public. This TV will only appeal to a very small segment of the population.
post #29 of 72 Old 01-15-2009, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

and formats like BD begin to offer true anamorphic titles

I would love for this to happen, but I seriously doubt that it will.
post #30 of 72 Old 01-16-2009, 04:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX View Post

Lets hope history repeats The first 16:9 TVs I saw in the very early 1990's were from Philips and JVC. At that time, there was no 16:9 content, so the only way to use this set was to apply the zoom mode and clip off the black bars of 4 x 3 transfered LDs. No one really wanted one of these TVs, then along comes DVD and suddenly this is cool.

If more than just one manufacture releases this type of display, it should force studios to release sotware that is compitible.

As for Scope projectors and the end of life for lenses, I don't think so.

In fact, if this monitor shape becomes the "future" of TV, and formats like BD begin to offer true anamorphic titles, then the anamorophic lens becomes a must have, not the expensive paper weight many think it is.

Seriously, I think we will see a new format before BD adopts 21:9 as a standard, but there is no reason why TV should not adopt to an even wider frame. How good will sports look shoot in 2560 x 1080?

Mark

This is a goldmine for the manufacturers and retailers as well. Another round of new equipment - TVs, cameras .....
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page