120" screen in a 15'x15' room??? - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Display Devices > 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat > 120" screen in a 15'x15' room???

2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

Alley Viper's Avatar Alley Viper
03:53 PM Liked: 10
post #1 of 37
06-09-2009 | Posts: 9
Joined: Jun 2009
Hi everyone,

Forgive me if this has been talked about at length and I just failed find the thread. I've read for hours and can't find the specific answers pertaining to my situation.

I've got a 15'x15'x9' room and I want to have the biggest, best looking screen in there that is possible. I'll be using the Panasonic PT-AE3000U Projector along with a Pioneer Blue-Ray BDP-05FD Player and a Pioneer SC-05 Receiver. So I'll only be watching blue-ray discs with a 1080p projector.

I'll be watching from 13' or 14'. Is a 120" screen sparta insane for this room? Any advice would be much appreciated as I need to make a decision on a screen size pretty soon.

This forum is wonderful.
TomsHT's Avatar TomsHT
03:59 PM Liked: 12
post #2 of 37
06-09-2009 | Posts: 4,705
Joined: May 2006
Your ceiling height will be a big factor in your screen size. For instance a 120" tv with a low ceiling might bring the bottom of the screen to low on the wall leaving it hard to see from a second row also other considerations such as room for speakers to fit under the screen etc...

The rule of thumb would certainly recommend a smaller size screen for that distance too but I also like a big screen I think you will probably be best served with a 100-110".
chrisinla's Avatar chrisinla
04:53 PM Liked: 10
post #3 of 37
06-09-2009 | Posts: 108
Joined: Oct 2002
if you can deal with the ceiling height issue, 120" is fine. I have a 154" diag. screen and we sit 13'-14' back... it is immersive and the kids always say "make it BIG!"
stanger89's Avatar stanger89
06:02 PM Liked: 156
post #4 of 37
06-09-2009 | Posts: 17,491
Joined: Nov 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley Viper View Post

I'll be watching from 13' or 14'. Is a 120" screen sparta insane for this room? Any advice would be much appreciated as I need to make a decision on a screen size pretty soon.

Well I've got a 110" wide 2.39:1 screen in my HT and the room is 11'x20'+x7.5'

13-14' seating distance, that would be a 52-56" high screen if you figure 3x screen height (which is right about the sweet spot of recommended distance). That would lead to a 132" wide 2.35:1 screen if you lean toward the higher end of the range.

And with that being about a 4.5' high screen, there's no issue with height (being it's a 9' ceiling, you lucky dog). Would be about a perfect fit I think.
Crappyguy's Avatar Crappyguy
06:10 PM Liked: 10
post #5 of 37
06-09-2009 | Posts: 28
Joined: Jul 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley Viper View Post

Hi everyone,

Forgive me if this has been talked about at length and I just failed find the thread. I've read for hours and can't find the specific answers pertaining to my situation.

I've got a 15'x15'x9' room and I want to have the biggest, best looking screen in there that is possible. I'll be using the Panasonic PT-AE3000U Projector along with a Pioneer Blue-Ray BDP-05FD Player and a Pioneer SC-05 Receiver. So I'll only be watching blue-ray discs with a 1080p projector.

I'll be watching from 13' or 14'. Is a 120" screen sparta insane for this room? Any advice would be much appreciated as I need to make a decision on a screen size pretty soon.

This forum is wonderful.

I'm using the Panasonic and I'm pushing 128" screen with a seating distance of about 14 feet........I think it looks great!
R Harkness's Avatar R Harkness
07:31 PM Liked: 384
post #6 of 37
06-09-2009 | Posts: 12,064
Joined: May 2001
124" wide screen in a 13 x 15 room here, seating distance abot 11.5 feet to screen.
GG386's Avatar GG386
08:06 PM Liked: 10
post #7 of 37
06-09-2009 | Posts: 427
Joined: Nov 2006
My room is somewhat bigger but we still sit at 11.5' from our 10' screen, would'nt have it any other way. The bigger issue maybe how to make the scope content fit your screen...
Jason Turk's Avatar Jason Turk
07:47 AM Liked: 10
post #8 of 37
06-10-2009 | Posts: 12,452
Joined: Oct 2000
Totally confused by the 2 follow ups...a 9' ceiling is PLENTY of height for that sized screen, especially if we are talking 2.35:1. A 120" wide is 51" tall. 9' = 108"...that leaves 57" between the top and bottom to fit the screen. WAY more than needed.

To the OP, 120" is fine for the viewing distance you are at, but you want to minimize light in the room. The Panny isn't all that bright when you start getting up to this size, so controlling ambient conditions becomes increasingly important.
Laserfan
07:59 AM Liked: 18
post #9 of 37
06-10-2009 | Posts: 3,772
Joined: Apr 2000
My room is 16x16, with a 10' wide (by 52" tall) screen and our eyes are ~10ft. Projector is in the back wall at 14' 4". We have never felt this screen was "too big" and I would say to the OP absolutely to go for it!

Oh, we have only 8ft ceiling so the OP is a little better-off in that regard.
Jason Turk's Avatar Jason Turk
08:47 AM Liked: 10
post #10 of 37
06-10-2009 | Posts: 12,452
Joined: Oct 2000
I wish I had a 9' ceiling, or even 8', or even 7'! Mine is a whopping 81".
TomsHT's Avatar TomsHT
08:50 AM Liked: 12
post #11 of 37
06-10-2009 | Posts: 4,705
Joined: May 2006
And Jason is correct, I must have skipped right over the original post where it did list the height, 9' is plenty of room. I have a low ceiling too because of a damn soffit... it sucks, must have been on my mind when I first saw the post...
stanger89's Avatar stanger89
10:10 AM Liked: 156
post #12 of 37
06-10-2009 | Posts: 17,491
Joined: Nov 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Turk View Post

I wish I had a 9' ceiling, or even 8', or even 7'! Mine is a whopping 81".

Guess I should feel fortunate with my just-over-7' ceiling in the basement
Alley Viper's Avatar Alley Viper
10:32 AM Liked: 10
post #13 of 37
06-10-2009 | Posts: 9
Joined: Jun 2009
Thank you everyone. Excellent advice. I'm pretty sure I've decided on a 133" Draper Onyx screen. Most of the time there will only be two people watching and we'll sit towards the back so this should work well.

After reading all your posts I feel really fortunate to have a 9' ceiling!!
Jason Turk's Avatar Jason Turk
10:38 AM Liked: 10
post #14 of 37
06-10-2009 | Posts: 12,452
Joined: Oct 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsHT View Post

And Jason is correct, I must have skipped right over the original post where it did list the height, 9' is plenty of room. I have a low ceiling too because of a damn soffit... it sucks, must have been on my mind when I first saw the post...

I am right there with you...still I made it work with a 124" wide 2.35:1 screen.


Alley Viper's Avatar Alley Viper
12:45 PM Liked: 10
post #15 of 37
06-10-2009 | Posts: 9
Joined: Jun 2009
Ahhhhhhh.....screen size angst. I'm thinking of going bigger than 133"....what have I gotten into. I've got a wall that is 135 sq. ft. and I want to use most of it. I want a 16:9 screen but I'll be watching plenty of 2.35 films on it so I'll be doing the masking thing. So naturally I want to biggest screen to accommodate the scope films. Would 160" screen be too big for the Panasonic PT-AE3000U while doing its zooming thing? I'll have the room painted black and be using copious amounts of black velvet. What I want to know is will a screen this large look good (watching blu-ray) at a 14' viewing distance?
Jason Turk's Avatar Jason Turk
02:07 PM Liked: 10
post #16 of 37
06-10-2009 | Posts: 12,452
Joined: Oct 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley Viper View Post

Ahhhhhhh.....screen size angst. I'm thinking of going bigger than 133"....what have I gotten into. I've got a wall that is 135 sq. ft. and I want to use most of it. I want a 16:9 screen but I'll be watching plenty of 2.35 films on it so I'll be doing the masking thing. So naturally I want to biggest screen to accommodate the scope films. Would 160" screen be too big for the Panasonic PT-AE3000U while doing its zooming thing? I'll have the room painted black and be using copious amounts of black velvet. What I want to know is will a screen this large look good (watching blu-ray) at a 14' viewing distance?

Way too big, unless you aren't expecting much. I would not go bigger than 120-130" wide 2.35:1 with the Panny, and even then you want the room dark with the right screen.
ilsiu's Avatar ilsiu
02:15 PM Liked: 10
post #17 of 37
06-10-2009 | Posts: 867
Joined: Jul 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Turk View Post

I wish I had a 9' ceiling, or even 8', or even 7'! Mine is a whopping 81".

Mine is 80" (soffit runs around entire perimeter of the room)

Am I the shortest winner (or loser)?
Nasty N8's Avatar Nasty N8
03:12 PM Liked: 12
post #18 of 37
06-10-2009 | Posts: 1,136
Joined: Mar 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Turk View Post

I wish I had a 9' ceiling, or even 8', or even 7'! Mine is a whopping 81".

Me too my ceiling is only 81" and I have a 10" screen seating is at 9.5" and 15"

Nate
Crappyguy's Avatar Crappyguy
06:31 PM Liked: 10
post #19 of 37
06-10-2009 | Posts: 28
Joined: Jul 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley Viper View Post

Would 160" screen be too big for the Panasonic PT-AE3000U while doing its zooming thing?

Why would you be using the zoom if you have a 16:9 screen?
Alley Viper's Avatar Alley Viper
06:55 PM Liked: 10
post #20 of 37
06-10-2009 | Posts: 9
Joined: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crappyguy View Post

Why would you be using the zoom if you have a 16:9 screen?

Using the zoom to project a 2.35 image. I just wanted the best of both worlds. Biggest 16:9 possible for the dual purpose of watching a 2.35 as big as possible.

I'm having trouble deciding on a screen. I'm racking my brain trying to figure out all the ins and outs of the right screen for my purpose. I just want the best screen (under $1,500) for a 130" with the Panny. My room will be totally black and light controlled.
Jerrym303's Avatar Jerrym303
07:22 PM Liked: 10
post #21 of 37
06-10-2009 | Posts: 403
Joined: Oct 2005
I use a 54 x 129 electric Dalite HP. Plenty of lumens with a Marantz VP8600, which I think is not as bright as the 3000. But, I use a lens also.

I would not want to go smaller.

You can mount the pj on the back wall jsut above your head height to get good gain from an HP screen,
Crappyguy's Avatar Crappyguy
10:00 PM Liked: 10
post #22 of 37
06-10-2009 | Posts: 28
Joined: Jul 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley Viper View Post

Using the zoom to project a 2.35 image. I just wanted the best of both worlds. Biggest 16:9 possible for the dual purpose of watching a 2.35 as big as possible.

I'm having trouble deciding on a screen. I'm racking my brain trying to figure out all the ins and outs of the right screen for my purpose. I just want the best screen (under $1,500) for a 130" with the Panny. My room will be totally black and light controlled.

I hear ya, but if you go with a 16:9 screen and then display 2.35:1 content you will have bars on top and bottom of your 16:9 screen and you will not need to zoom in and out. In fact you can't zoom without having the picture spill off your screen.

Of course if you go with a 2.35 screen you will be using the zoom for sure. Perhaps I'm not understanding you correctly.
Alley Viper's Avatar Alley Viper
10:37 PM Liked: 10
post #23 of 37
06-10-2009 | Posts: 9
Joined: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crappyguy View Post

I hear ya, but if you go with a 16:9 screen and then display 2.35:1 content you will have bars on top and bottom of your 16:9 screen and you will not need to zoom in and out. In fact you can't zoom without having the picture spill off your screen.

Of course if you go with a 2.35 screen you will be using the zoom for sure. Perhaps I'm not understanding you correctly.

You know, you are absolutely right. Its humorous to me how seemingly complicated this 16:9/2.35 thing can be (in our own minds). I guess what I'm trying to say is that my priority is the 16:9 aspect ratio and I just want the 16:9 to be as big as possible so I'll also have at the least a decent sized 2.35 image (without the zoom feature being used on the Panny, I understand this now).

My plan is to just mask the 16:9 screen when I play a 2.35 movie.


Hopefully someone can help me with this. I have been reading for HOURS and HOURS about the different screens (white, grey, silver). And it seems the more I read the further away I am from making a final decision. I'm not looking for perfection with my setup, I just want it to look really good. Could someone please recommend a screen for the setup I have planned? I want to do a 125-130" screen. My projector (PT-AE3000U) will be approx. 14' from the screen (I can place it low or high). I'll be viewing the screen from 13-14'. The room will be darkened with black paint and velvet with no other light sources. And I'll only be playing Blu-ray films.

Is there an obvious screen choice out there for my setup? I'm not stuck on having the best contrast and blacks or the best colors and whites. I just want the best all-around choice. The Vutec Silverstar looks promising but would I be sitting too close and end up seeing the sparkling effect? Everything else was a relatively easy choice but this screen business can be pretty darn frustrating. It looks like it comes down to personal preference. Someone just tell me what to buy
Jason Turk's Avatar Jason Turk
07:54 AM Liked: 10
post #24 of 37
06-11-2009 | Posts: 12,452
Joined: Oct 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley Viper View Post

You know, you are absolutely right. Its humorous to me how seemingly complicated this 16:9/2.35 thing can be (in our own minds). I guess what I'm trying to say is that my priority is the 16:9 aspect ratio and I just want the 16:9 to be as big as possible so I'll also have at the least a decent sized 2.35 image (without the zoom feature being used on the Panny, I understand this now).

My plan is to just mask the 16:9 screen when I play a 2.35 movie.


Hopefully someone can help me with this. I have been reading for HOURS and HOURS about the different screens (white, grey, silver). And it seems the more I read the further away I am from making a final decision. I'm not looking for perfection with my setup, I just want it to look really good. Could someone please recommend a screen for the setup I have planned? I want to do a 125-130" screen. My projector (PT-AE3000U) will be approx. 14' from the screen (I can place it low or high). I'll be viewing the screen from 13-14'. The room will be darkened with black paint and velvet with no other light sources. And I'll only be playing Blu-ray films.

Is there an obvious screen choice out there for my setup? I'm not stuck on having the best contrast and blacks or the best colors and whites. I just want the best all-around choice. The Vutec Silverstar looks promising but would I be sitting too close and end up seeing the sparkling effect? Everything else was a relatively easy choice but this screen business can be pretty darn frustrating. It looks like it comes down to personal preference. Someone just tell me what to buy

If this is the case, you don't need to zoom at all. As another poster said, a native 16:9 projector will just put top and bottom bars on the screen for 2.35:1 images. The only time you'd need to zoom is if you had a 2.35:1 native screen.

I agree though that if 16:9 is more important, don't bother with the headaches of 2.35:1 setups.
stanger89's Avatar stanger89
08:02 AM Liked: 156
post #25 of 37
06-11-2009 | Posts: 17,491
Joined: Nov 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley Viper View Post

You know, you are absolutely right. Its humorous to me how seemingly complicated this 16:9/2.35 thing can be (in our own minds). I guess what I'm trying to say is that my priority is the 16:9 aspect ratio and I just want the 16:9 to be as big as possible so I'll also have at the least a decent sized 2.35 image (without the zoom feature being used on the Panny, I understand this now).

OK, let me try to throw a wrench in this....

Do you really want a "super huge" 16:9, or is it that you want a big 2.35:1 and are just expecting to need a huge 16:9 to accomplish that?

The way you word it, it seems like you're choosing a 16:9 size based on the 2.35:1 area, which implies 2.35:1 is the important part, in which case maybe you do want a 2.35:1 screen.

For example I think for me to get a 2.35:1 image the "right" size for me, would require a 16:9 image that's way too big if I went with a "CIW" 16:9 screen.
Crappyguy's Avatar Crappyguy
10:01 AM Liked: 10
post #26 of 37
06-11-2009 | Posts: 28
Joined: Jul 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley Viper View Post

My plan is to just mask the 16:9 screen when I play a 2.35 movie.

It seems far too often people in this and other forums are told what they should do with regards to their home theaters. Frankly I find this to be really annoying. However, with that said I'm going to do it anyway :-)

Have you actually seen a 2.35 setup in person? You might find that CIH is the way to go. I actually had never seen it in person and decided I had to have it anyway. If you live around Sacramento California you are welcome to send me a PM and you can stop by my house in the ghetto to check it out. I'm sure there are other folks that would love to show off their awesome theaters if your interested.......just a thought.

I give you my word that I won't put you in a well and use your skin to make a lady suit like on Silence of the Lamb.
Alley Viper's Avatar Alley Viper
11:24 AM Liked: 10
post #27 of 37
06-11-2009 | Posts: 9
Joined: Jun 2009
stanger89,
My preference really is 16:9. I understand that having a 2.35 screen is ideal for watching films in that aspect ratio. But I have to admit that going for the 16:9 is to be able to watch certain shows. I'm a HUGE fan of shows like Battlestar Galactica (coming out on Blu-ray soon) and Lost. And its more important for me to have the 16:9 for that (I hope this isn't heresy on this forum :-). I'm not set on a specific size of 2.35 I just want the 16:9 to be as big as possible and still look great. And then I'll just deal with the masking when watching a 2.35 film. How would I figure out what the dimensions would be of a 2.35 image on a 130" diagonal 16:9 screen?

Crappyguy,
I haven't seen a 2.35 setup in person (the kind that people are doing on this forum). Thanks for the offer, but unfortunately I live out in the sticks of eastern oregon.
Jason Turk's Avatar Jason Turk
12:40 PM Liked: 10
post #28 of 37
06-11-2009 | Posts: 12,452
Joined: Oct 2000
I think if you truly do watch mostly 16:9, again, not much point in buying 2.35:1 (I have had both, and 4:3 for that matter). Especially if you are new to this, 2.35:1 is more complex.
Laserfan
01:36 PM Liked: 18
post #29 of 37
06-11-2009 | Posts: 3,772
Joined: Apr 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley Viper View Post

I'm not set on a specific size of 2.35 I just want the 16:9 to be as big as possible and still look great. And then I'll just deal with the masking when watching a 2.35 film.

Sorry, but... you've got this backwards. What you need to do is make the biggest 2.35 screen that will fit in your room, and then mask-off the sides most of the time.

Otherwise, you will be very disappointed with 2.35 movies, particularly as you plan the AE-3000.

I suggest you get the 3000 and just shoot it onto your wall before buying a screen. It will open your eyes...
Jason Turk's Avatar Jason Turk
01:44 PM Liked: 10
post #30 of 37
06-11-2009 | Posts: 12,452
Joined: Oct 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post

Sorry, but... you've got this backwards. What you need to do is make the biggest 2.35 screen that will fit in your room, and then mask-off the sides most of the time.

Otherwise, you will be very disappointed with 2.35 movies, particularly as you plan the AE-3000.

I suggest you get the 3000 and just shoot it onto your wall before buying a screen. It will open your eyes...

Respectfully I disagree. He states he prefers the largest 16:9 as that is mostly what he watches. So let's say he wants a 60"x107" 16:9. For 2.35:1, it would be a respectful 45.5"x107". Going on what you suggest, he would be at 60"x141" for a 2.35:1. First off, this is really beyond the capabilities of the Panny (and he may even want a bigger 16:9). Secondly, that screen would not be cheap (for one that would work in that combo), adding cost to something he doesn't really carer about. So again, since 16:9 is the most important, I would highly not recommend going with a 2.35:1 for him. My 2 cents.

Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3