post #31 of 56 Old 11-06-2009, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitsman View Post

Plus I cannot believe that a screen does not effect the sound quality for critical music listening which I do as well.

Smx (Acoustic Vision in Australia) challenged everything we thought we knew about AT screens and HF losses. People from different continents tested and reported their findings on his AT material and those finding upset a few people that had spent big $$$ on brand name AT screens.

I am, was, still am the type of guy that will remove a speakers grill cloth just in case. So for years I was listening to my own speakers with no grill. You can't imagine the stress I went through when it meant that my speakers were going to be permanately behind a grill (being an AT screen).

In the end, I hired an RTA and even when my ears told me there was no difference, it was nice to see the RTA display showing similar results.

Look, there has to be some losses, however I really enjoy my SACD and DVD-As as well as all of my motion picture soundtracks.

In fact I enjoy DVD/BD more now because of the near perfect sound to picture match and I am amazied with how flat my grey scale tracks with the colorimeter. I won't go back to a solid screen.

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 56 Old 11-06-2009, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX View Post

Smx challenged everything we thought we knew about AT screens as HF losses. People from different continents tested and reported their findings on his AT material.

I am, was, still am the type of guy that will remove a speakers grill cloth just in case. So for years I was listening to my own speakers with no grill. You can't imagine the stress I went through when it mean that my speaker were going to be permanately behind a grill (being an AT screen).

In the end, I hired an RTA and even when my ears told me there was no difference, it was nice to see the RTA display showing similar results. There has to be some losses, however I really enjoy my SACD and DVD-As as well as all of my motion picture soundtracks.

In fact I enjoy DVD/BD more now because of the near perfect sound to picture match.

Mark....what a way to sum it up!!.....great summary and I agree totally even with my limited time and testing to date with my setup.
post #33 of 56 Old 11-06-2009, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
I wish I had the money for 180" SMX Screen and ISCO 3 or MK4 lense with cineslide. Why do I have to be either CEO of my own company or a single bachelor to have the ability to make my dreams come true

Current Projects:
IN PROGRESS (80%) - Building 3D Theater room.
IN PROGRESS (30%) - Building Lounge/Hallway Area.
IN PROGRESS (15%) - Building Home LAN (4 PCs).
ON HOLD - Building Home Gym.
ON HOLD - Building Simulation Room (Eyefinity).
ON HOLD - Building Theater room (Sim2 HT380, 2.35 14ft wide).
post #34 of 56 Old 11-06-2009, 02:19 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc View Post

Yes that's what I mean, the SMX and stewart AT screens are known. I wonder if there are other manufacturer's out there (cheaper in price) that are crappy in video and audio degradation...

I think the AT screens offer a big advantage for sound placement quality with very little trade off.

Check out the products over at Seymourav.com, or better yet give Chris a call at their phone link. I'm using a 102" wide scope screen with their new XD material and couldn't be happier.

There are a heck of a lot of people on these forums that believe that their screens are among the best values in home theater.
post #35 of 56 Old 11-06-2009, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Has anyone seen any pic.'s on this projector yet or can anyone post some that have the projector.

tony4k
post #36 of 56 Old 11-07-2009, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I saw the panasonic ae3000 and 4000 demo'd taoday on a 16:9 screen, very nice.............
post #37 of 56 Old 11-07-2009, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes that's what I mean, the SMX and stewart AT screens are known. I wonder if there are other manufacturer's out there (cheaper in price) that are crappy in video and audio degradation...

The best way to resolve your issue is the see a Stewart and SMX an judge for yourself. I've been a DIY'er for years and have seen some paint mixes come close enough for me to a stewart and SMX screen. The big question is...what are you willing to live with? I went from a wilsonart designer white laminate to a stewart videomatte 200. I like the stewart better then the WA, but I got my stewart out of a theater that closed. I got a 10' cut of the screen and built my own frame for the border. It's all in the eyes of the beholder, and other factors that come into play along with cost. I've seen stewarts highend 15k scope curve electronic masking screen and was blown away, but in my mind I should have for 15k.

tony4k
post #38 of 56 Old 11-07-2009, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicj1 View Post

I saw the panasonic ae3000 and 4000 demo'd taoday on a 16:9 screen, very nice.............

Okay...very nice albeit a good way to say how you liked the projector, but what in your judgement wowed you the most? Comparing big brother to little brother given most of the spec.'s are the same gives little to go on. Sorry....but have you seen any projectors that beats the 3000 hands down to compare the 4000 to?

tony4k
post #39 of 56 Old 11-07-2009, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

The picture seemed more detailed on the ae4000 compaired to the 3000, a little sharper. Both PJ's where shown to me using the straight out of the box settings, nothing altered, so I've come away thinking, wandering if I purchased the ae3000 could I calibrate it and make it perform as close to the ae4000 and save myself a few quid, approx £550. or would I regret not forking out????
post #40 of 56 Old 11-07-2009, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicj1 View Post

The picture seemed more detailed on the ae4000 compaired to the 3000, a little sharper. Both PJ's where shown to me using the straight out of the box settings, nothing altered, so I've come away thinking, wandering if I purchased the ae3000 could I calibrate it and make it perform as close to the ae4000 and save myself a few quid, approx £550. or would I regret not forking out????

Before I jump I would like to see it against another projector such as the JVC or the espon 8500ub or a projector such as the sony vw85, but what do i know i have a lowly ruby.

tony4k
post #41 of 56 Old 11-07-2009, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbase1 View Post

Before I jump I would like to see it against another projector such as the JVC or the espon 8500ub or a projector such as the sony vw85, but what do i know i have a lowly ruby.

I saw the Jvc hd550 at the same time, this I have to say looked more vibrant than the Panasonics did in picture quality, but it does cost a lot more dosh!! Would I like one, yes, but would I pay the extra, I'm not sure I would as I think there's more to squeezed out 0f the ae4000, saying that it wasn't long ago that the ae3000 was a good buy, and now there dropping in price rapid!!
post #42 of 56 Old 11-07-2009, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Smooth screen made most of the panny's I've seen a tad soft. Did the 4000 look soft due to smooth screen. Man I wish someone would post a comparison screen shot of this projector against another model that is in it's range of spec.'s or detail.

tony4k
post #43 of 56 Old 11-07-2009, 05:15 PM

I this the right thread???

Getting back into HT and my AE4000 arrived yesterday..ceiling brackets next week. I have an "old" 92" 16:9 Silverstar and a Panamorph U100(?) left over from my previous HT. Can the Panamorph be used with the AE4000 and if so is it worth doing? It's been awhile and I have forgotten (old age) what the projector set up is. I have a Chief bracket for the Panamorph for a ceiling mount.

Steve
post #44 of 56 Old 11-07-2009, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 501transpo View Post

I this the right thread???

Getting back into HT and my AE4000 arrived yesterday..ceiling brackets next week. I have an "old" 92" 16:9 Silverstar and a Panamorph U100(?) left over from my previous HT. Can the Panamorph be used with the AE4000 and if so is it worth doing? It's been awhile and I have forgotten (old age) what the projector set up is. I have a Chief bracket for the Panamorph for a ceiling mount.

Steve

I'd suggest setting up the lens and projector onto your current 16:9 screen. You have to take into consideration that the lens is VC however it will give you an idea if you want to use a lens or zoom. In fact, I suggest setting up both at the same height and see for your self. This simply means setting the projector zoomed at the same height as your 16:9 screen (it will shoot image off the ends as well as black bars off the top and bottom) using 16:9 mode, then use Zoom 1 (for VS) and add the lens.

If you position the projector back far enough, the throw should be long enough not to vignet with the lens. This will allow you to clearly see the difference and if those 270 extra pixels are worth using or shooting off the top and bottom of the screen when you get your next "Scope" screen.

Mark Techer

post #45 of 56 Old 11-18-2009, 04:07 PM

Interesting thread.

I've got a Panny 3000 and have been watching it on a wall for months.

I am about 80% DVDs / Vudu (film) and 20% DVDs (television).

I'm very tempted by 2.35:1 ratio, but was on the fence about doing this without a true anamorphic lens and when I still wanted to watch 16:9 television content.

My question for this group is:
- I need to have a drop down / electric screen. If I go 2.35:1, what brand and size do you recommend?

I've looked at the Cinetension2. Are there others I should consider for price/performance ratio?

Is there anything which will be coming onto the market in the next 2+ months? I'm happy to wait until early 2010 if I can get a lot more for my money.
post #46 of 56 Old 11-21-2009, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh well....I finally got around to setting up my isco 3L and my 4k....and all I have to say is WOW Right out of the box with no adjustments what so ever to the 4k and it looks pretty good. The below is my setup right now and scaler question.

samsung up5000 > onkyo sr605 > VP50 > panny 4K > isco 3L > 8' wide stewart videomatte 200 scope screen @ 17' from face of 3L to screen.

I built a lens sled, but reallly want a fix setup. My 16x9 to scope screen material fits great, however, my scope material is what I need to adjust to fit the screen with the lens on using the scaler. I would rather use the scaler instead of the zoom of the panny to fit the scope material to the scope screen....If you guys could help in anyway that would be great. I'm still playing so who knows I might have this within the hour. The 4K lens fits like a glove in the back of the 3L ( 1/2" from lens to lens ). I'll post some pic.'s before Cal. and after Cal. I also need to update the firmware of my vp50 so that I use 24fps.

tony4k
post #47 of 56 Old 11-21-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:

I'd suggest setting up the lens and projector onto your current 16:9 screen. You have to take into consideration that the lens is VC however it will give you an idea if you want to use a lens or zoom. In fact, I suggest setting up both at the same height and see for your self. This simply means setting the projector zoomed at the same height as your 16:9 screen (it will shoot image off the ends as well as black bars off the top and bottom) using 16:9 mode, then use Zoom 1 (for VS) and add the lens.

If you position the projector back far enough, the throw should be long enough not to vignet with the lens. This will allow you to clearly see the difference and if those 270 extra pixels are worth using or shooting off the top and bottom of the screen when you get your next "Scope" screen.

Well all of the stuff is hung and running but haven't had time to "play" with the Panamorph yet. Is there an objective way to see if the 270 extra pixels are worth using or introducing added optical elements is detrimental? Test disk, etc.

Steve
post #48 of 56 Old 11-21-2009, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
pics please steve

Current Projects:
IN PROGRESS (80%) - Building 3D Theater room.
IN PROGRESS (30%) - Building Lounge/Hallway Area.
IN PROGRESS (15%) - Building Home LAN (4 PCs).
ON HOLD - Building Home Gym.
ON HOLD - Building Simulation Room (Eyefinity).
ON HOLD - Building Theater room (Sim2 HT380, 2.35 14ft wide).
post #49 of 56 Old 11-21-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:

pics please steve

Me? I am kinda new at this....pictures of what? Be happy to do it but not sure what would be of interest.

Steve
post #50 of 56 Old 11-21-2009, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

the start of a good relationship......isco 3L and panasonic ae4ooo
LL

tony4k
post #51 of 56 Old 11-22-2009, 12:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well all of the stuff is hung and running but haven't had time to "play" with the Panamorph yet. Is there an objective way to see if the 270 extra pixels are worth using or introducing added optical elements is detrimental? Test disk, etc.

Steve

Sure a test pattern might be OK, however nothing beats watching a Scope film projected in Scope for the first time, and everytime after that

Mark Techer

post #52 of 56 Old 11-27-2009, 05:33 PM

Well had some time today and mounted up the Panamorph on the AE 4000. BD "scope" looks a little better, I think but need more time for comparison. I don't have a sled, so if it's mounted I plan to leave it in place.

I am projecting onto a 16:9 screen. For 16:9 "material" is there an optimal combination of HDTV and PJ settings to minimize the negatives of leaving the Panamorph in place?

Steve
post #53 of 56 Old 11-27-2009, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am projecting onto a 16:9 screen. For 16:9 "material" is there an optimal combination of HDTV and PJ settings to minimize the negatives of leaving the Panamorph in place?

Steve

You will need to use the 4 x 3 mode of the projector.

Mark Techer

post #54 of 56 Old 11-27-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:

You will need to use the 4 x 3 mode of the projector.

Thanks for the help...never would have considered that!!

Steve
post #55 of 56 Old 11-28-2009, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the help...never would have considered that!!

Steve

There is an arguement that by doing this, your throwing away 25% of the horizintal rezolution. The glass is always half full right? So there positives are:

1. All ARs maintain the same pixel density.
2. All ARs maintain the same calibration settings
3. All ARs exhibit the same amount of pincushion, so if you have curved screen, the images always fit and do not suddenly barrel when the lens is removed.
4. AR switching is as simple as a push of a button and pretty must instant.

Mark Techer

post #56 of 56 Old 11-28-2009, 08:38 AM

There is an arguement that by doing this, your throwing away 25% of the horizintal rezolution.
Primary use is "scope" movies so the 25% reduction seems worth it. When changing from BD to HDTV is there way to keep the image in the same position without using the "mechanical" V position control? The "scope" image is shifted up somewhat on the 16:9 screen, (the zoomed HDTV 16:9 is centered) not a big problem but...

Finally..(not likely).. is there a way to have a "one button" solution when changing TV> BD that calls lens memory, input, etc? I have a Harmony 1100, I will have to see if a single button solution is possible. (The GF hates using multiple remotes)

Steve
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page