Zoom vs Lens and Projector Zoom Questions - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #121 of 127 Old 06-07-2012, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Gary Lightfoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Surrey, UK
Posts: 4,446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfattbill View Post

Gary, if you happen to own the remake of "True Grit" can you pop it in and tell me if you think the black bars on that are really really bright. I notice that I can see the overspill in that movie way more than any other movie on both my old Panny AE4K and now my JVC X30.

Thanks

Bill

Hi Bill,

I don't have that movie yet, and I'm currently projectorless, but the black bars should all be encoded at video black or below black so should all look the same. If TG seems brighter, I wonder if it has been encoded at a higher value by mistake.

Have you calibrated the brightness and contrast using a test disk? That will ensure the black and white levels are set correctly and you may find the bars then all look the same.

Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
Gary Lightfoot is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #122 of 127 Old 06-07-2012, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member
 
mrfattbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 786
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Lightfoot View Post

Hi Bill,
I don't have that movie yet, and I'm currently projectorless, but the black bars should all be encoded at video black or below black so should all look the same. If TG seems brighter, I wonder if it has been encoded at a higher value by mistake.
Have you calibrated the brightness and contrast using a test disk? That will ensure the black and white levels are set correctly and you may find the bars then all look the same.
Gary

Thanks for the response Gary.

I had/have the projectors calibrated to my liking with various test discs but not professionally yet. The black bars on that particular movie just seem to be much more noticeable in the overspill regions. The JVC is less noticeable than the Panny was but still more than other movies.....it's just weird. I googled it to see if it was encoded incorrectly and didn't come up with anything. I will do some more in testing to night if I get a chance to make sure I am not losing my mind smile.gif

Bill
mrfattbill is offline  
post #123 of 127 Old 06-07-2012, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Gary Lightfoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Surrey, UK
Posts: 4,446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfattbill View Post


Thanks for the response Gary.

I had/have the projectors calibrated to my liking with various test discs but not professionally yet. The black bars on that particular movie just seem to be much more noticeable in the overspill regions. The JVC is less noticeable than the Panny was but still more than other movies.....it's just weird. I googled it to see if it was encoded incorrectly and didn't come up with anything. I will do some more in testing to night if I get a chance to make sure I am not losing my mind smile.gif

Bill

Hi Bill,

It might be worth posting on the calibration forum - someone there will probably be able to check the disk and see if they notice the same thing. Someone may even be able to check the coding to know if the bars are at or above video black.

Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
Gary Lightfoot is online now  
post #124 of 127 Old 06-13-2012, 07:58 AM
Senior Member
 
azula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 424
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hello All


I recently acquired a panny 4000 to pair with my CIH 105" Centerstage screen. I was thinking of either getting the Epson 5010 or the Panny 7000 to incorporate 3d into my theater, however I have a couple of questions:

My first question is for those of you with scope screens, how do you watch 3d movies when, according to Art Feierman at projector reviews, most 3d and animated material is shot in 16:9 format?

Secondly, I would have to use the poor mans Zoom function to fill my scope screen. Does the Epson 5010 allow me to do this? I am sure that the Panny does with it's lens memory however, it seems as if the Epson has a slightly better contrast. Thanks.
azula is offline  
post #125 of 127 Old 06-13-2012, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member
 
mrfattbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 786
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by azula View Post

Secondly, I would have to use the poor mans Zoom function to fill my scope screen. Does the Epson 5010 allow me to do this? I am sure that the Panny does with it's lens memory however, it seems as if the Epson has a slightly better contrast. Thanks.

The Panasonic will do it all electronically while the Epson would be a manual setup, so adjusting the dials by hand...unless you did something like this:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1401911/diy-motorization-of-epson-5010/0_50

Bill
mrfattbill is offline  
post #126 of 127 Old 06-13-2012, 11:00 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 7,188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by azula View Post

Hello All
I recently acquired a panny 4000 to pair with my CIH 105" Centerstage screen. I was thinking of either getting the Epson 5010 or the Panny 7000 to incorporate 3d into my theater, however I have a couple of questions:
My first question is for those of you with scope screens, how do you watch 3d movies when, according to Art Feierman at projector reviews, most 3d and animated material is shot in 16:9 format?
Secondly, I would have to use the poor mans Zoom function to fill my scope screen. Does the Epson 5010 allow me to do this? I am sure that the Panny does with it's lens memory however, it seems as if the Epson has a slightly better contrast. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfattbill View Post

The Panasonic will do it all electronically while the Epson would be a manual setup, so adjusting the dials by hand...unless you did something like this:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1401911/diy-motorization-of-epson-5010/0_50
Bill

Correct, but keep in mind that the mounting restrictions on the Panny really limit where it can be placed when shifting the image on the chip to get 2.35 functionality. The 5010 is not a good choice for a CIH setup if you plan on using it for scope and 16:9 content.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

 

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

AV Science Sales 5 is offline  
post #127 of 127 Old 06-13-2012, 11:38 AM
Senior Member
 
azula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 424
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Correct, but keep in mind that the mounting restrictions on the Panny really limit where it can be placed when shifting the image on the chip to get 2.35 functionality. The 5010 is not a good choice for a CIH setup if you plan on using it for scope and 16:9 content.

Thanks AV

It is to my understanding that the Panny has to be placed within the confines of the screen itself (top or bottom) to take full advantage of the lens memory function. Is this correct? I would be able to place the projector about 2 inches below the top of the screen so that shouldn't be a problem. I was leaning towards the Epson for reasons like better 3d performance and contrast. I wouldn't mind manually zooming the 2.35 image to fill my 2.35 screen. My only worry is if the zoom function would work with a 3d 16.9 movie?
azula is offline  
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off