post #121 of 127 Old 06-07-2012, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfattbill View Post

Gary, if you happen to own the remake of "True Grit" can you pop it in and tell me if you think the black bars on that are really really bright. I notice that I can see the overspill in that movie way more than any other movie on both my old Panny AE4K and now my JVC X30.

Thanks

Bill

Hi Bill,

I don't have that movie yet, and I'm currently projectorless, but the black bars should all be encoded at video black or below black so should all look the same. If TG seems brighter, I wonder if it has been encoded at a higher value by mistake.

Have you calibrated the brightness and contrast using a test disk? That will ensure the black and white levels are set correctly and you may find the bars then all look the same.

Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 127 Old 06-07-2012, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Lightfoot View Post

Hi Bill,
I don't have that movie yet, and I'm currently projectorless, but the black bars should all be encoded at video black or below black so should all look the same. If TG seems brighter, I wonder if it has been encoded at a higher value by mistake.
Have you calibrated the brightness and contrast using a test disk? That will ensure the black and white levels are set correctly and you may find the bars then all look the same.
Gary

Thanks for the response Gary.

I had/have the projectors calibrated to my liking with various test discs but not professionally yet. The black bars on that particular movie just seem to be much more noticeable in the overspill regions. The JVC is less noticeable than the Panny was but still more than other movies.....it's just weird. I googled it to see if it was encoded incorrectly and didn't come up with anything. I will do some more in testing to night if I get a chance to make sure I am not losing my mind smile.gif

Bill
post #123 of 127 Old 06-07-2012, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

Thanks for the response Gary.

I had/have the projectors calibrated to my liking with various test discs but not professionally yet. The black bars on that particular movie just seem to be much more noticeable in the overspill regions. The JVC is less noticeable than the Panny was but still more than other movies.....it's just weird. I googled it to see if it was encoded incorrectly and didn't come up with anything. I will do some more in testing to night if I get a chance to make sure I am not losing my mind smile.gif

Bill

Hi Bill,

It might be worth posting on the calibration forum - someone there will probably be able to check the disk and see if they notice the same thing. Someone may even be able to check the coding to know if the bars are at or above video black.

Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
post #124 of 127 Old 06-13-2012, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hello All

I recently acquired a panny 4000 to pair with my CIH 105" Centerstage screen. I was thinking of either getting the Epson 5010 or the Panny 7000 to incorporate 3d into my theater, however I have a couple of questions:

My first question is for those of you with scope screens, how do you watch 3d movies when, according to Art Feierman at projector reviews, most 3d and animated material is shot in 16:9 format?

Secondly, I would have to use the poor mans Zoom function to fill my scope screen. Does the Epson 5010 allow me to do this? I am sure that the Panny does with it's lens memory however, it seems as if the Epson has a slightly better contrast. Thanks.
post #125 of 127 Old 06-13-2012, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by azula View Post

Secondly, I would have to use the poor mans Zoom function to fill my scope screen. Does the Epson 5010 allow me to do this? I am sure that the Panny does with it's lens memory however, it seems as if the Epson has a slightly better contrast. Thanks.

The Panasonic will do it all electronically while the Epson would be a manual setup, so adjusting the dials by hand...unless you did something like this:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1401911/diy-motorization-of-epson-5010/0_50

Bill
post #126 of 127 Old 06-13-2012, 11:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by azula View Post

Hello All
I recently acquired a panny 4000 to pair with my CIH 105" Centerstage screen. I was thinking of either getting the Epson 5010 or the Panny 7000 to incorporate 3d into my theater, however I have a couple of questions:
My first question is for those of you with scope screens, how do you watch 3d movies when, according to Art Feierman at projector reviews, most 3d and animated material is shot in 16:9 format?

Quote:

The Panasonic will do it all electronically while the Epson would be a manual setup, so adjusting the dials by hand...unless you did something like this:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1401911/diy-motorization-of-epson-5010/0_50
Bill

Correct, but keep in mind that the mounting restrictions on the Panny really limit where it can be placed when shifting the image on the chip to get 2.35 functionality. The 5010 is not a good choice for a CIH setup if you plan on using it for scope and 16:9 content.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #127 of 127 Old 06-13-2012, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Correct, but keep in mind that the mounting restrictions on the Panny really limit where it can be placed when shifting the image on the chip to get 2.35 functionality. The 5010 is not a good choice for a CIH setup if you plan on using it for scope and 16:9 content.

Thanks AV

It is to my understanding that the Panny has to be placed within the confines of the screen itself (top or bottom) to take full advantage of the lens memory function. Is this correct? I would be able to place the projector about 2 inches below the top of the screen so that shouldn't be a problem. I was leaning towards the Epson for reasons like better 3d performance and contrast. I wouldn't mind manually zooming the 2.35 image to fill my 2.35 screen. My only worry is if the zoom function would work with a 3d 16.9 movie?
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page