Poor Man's Zoom Trick + Dual-Projectors for 3D Blu Ray = 2:35:1 logistcal nightmare? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 05-07-2010, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Here is my situation. I currently have an Optoma HD7100, which works absolutely wonderfully for PMZT. (Poor Man's Zoom Trick) The thing is, I really want to go 1080p, as well as 3D. After researching the 1080p 3D situation, I've come to realize that a dual-projector setup is probably the most logical way to roll, but the downside is that it will turn into a logistical nightmare. Bouncing back and forth between 2:35:1 and 16:9 isn't that big a deal right now, because I'm only dealing with one projector, and I can make the manual switch in less than a minute of my time. The only time I even use 2:35:1 is when I'm watching a movie with that aspect ratio. I mostly play Xbox 360 and PS3 games (16:9), watch some movies (both 16:9 and 2:35:1), and watch high def TV (16:9). I also watch some high def sports (16:9). I would say that about 3 times out of 10, maybe 4 times out of 10, I'm using it for 2:35:1. Still, the thing is, after going 2:35:1, there is no going back. I can't return to the days of watching a 2:35:1 movie on a 16:9 frame with the black bars above and below. I'm too used to watching it the way it was meant to be. I just can't go backwards.

Having said all of that, I'm definitely VERY interested in the whole 3D thing. I know we are just on the cusp of the 3D transition (if it even happens), but I'm the early adopter type that likes to jump on these bandwagons early. My major concern with a dual-projector setup, and Poor Man's Zoom Trick is that I won't be able to get it work for 2:35:1 3D movies. Right now, there is only one 3D Blu Ray movie that the public can get their hands on. Monsters vs. Aliens. This movie is 2:35:1, and if I ever get my hands on it, I would like to see it in it's natural aspect ratio on a scope setup using PMZT, but I don't think it will work because of the height of my ceiling, and how the dual-projectors will have to be setup. Which ever projector I'm going to get ( x 2 ), I'm going to make sure it has horizontal and vertical lens shift, and enough zoom for me to do CIH. The problem is, that I'm thinking that just for the logistics of setting it up just to do 16:9 3D, it's going to require one of the projectors to already be using the lens shift features, just so that both screens will be layered on top of each other perfectly.

If I were to, on top of all that, try to then Zoom both of them out, and overlay the image perfectly for 2:35:1, I'm just thinking that it will be very, very difficult, and very time consuming, and I'm not sure it would even work. I'm dealing with a low ceiling. I think my ceiling is like 8 feet 1 inch. I have to ceiling mount both projectors, and the big downside is that the bottom projector is going to be pretty freaking low. This could create a serious problem for PMZT because when you zoom out for PMZT, the image drops down, and you have to use the vertical shift to get it back up, but since the bottom projector will already be using vertical shift, I'm just not sure that it will have enough of that shift to get it up far enough when trying to do 2:35:1 3D. I don't think I can stack them too close together, because of heat dissipation issues. Offset and throw distance are going to be very crucial to the whole thing. I'm going to practically need to hire a mathematician to figure it all out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 05-08-2010, 01:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would say stop sweating it for now. Wait until Cedia when there are numerous 3d projectors out. At that time you'll know if there is even any worth working this out to accomodate....
post #3 of 27 Old 05-09-2010, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Turk View Post

I would say stop sweating it for now. Wait until Cedia when there are numerous 3d projectors out. At that time you'll know if there is even any worth working this out to accomodate....

Cedia, is in late September... right? That's a pretty long wait for an early adopter like myself that is trigger happy for a big screen 3D experience. Sure, patience is the best strategy at this point, but it's easier said than done for somebody like myself that is thinking about this stuff every single day. Also, the 3D projectors at Cedia aren't going to be the kind that somebody would use in a dual-projector setup. I'm interested in 1080p 3D, and the single projector solutions for 1080p 3D are likely to be WAY out of my price range. So far, there have only been 720p 3D projectors released (in the sub 3 grand category). My thinking is that it might be another 2 years before an affordable (for me anyways) 1080p 3D projector is released.
post #4 of 27 Old 05-09-2010, 12:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Please correct me if I am wrong, why would you even need dual projectors when the "3D" players will have a single HDMI 1.4 out?

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
post #5 of 27 Old 05-09-2010, 08:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Yeah, I was going to ask, how are you planing on feeding 3DBD into 2 projectors? Is there an 1xHDMI to 2xHDMI 3D "Splitter" available or something, how are you planning on doing the splitting?

As far as cost, LG's is 1080p and the price isn't astronomical (nor is the performance by the specs).

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #6 of 27 Old 05-09-2010, 09:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I remember, from years ago, needing to calibrate and converge three Sony G90 projectors in a single stack. What a PIA. It was so much fun, I got to do it once a month to keep in practice.

Point. Dual projector systems utilize external video processing to take the single feed and do the left/right eye nonsense between the projectors. The entire 3D experience is totally hosed if both projectors are not EXACTLY aligned with each other ... which, btw, is physically impossible since, in this universe, both projectors cannot occupy exactly the same space.

Advice ... don't go there. Wait until the multiple different methods get reduced in number and improved technology is available within consumer 3D projection systems.

Here's a read: http://www.runco.com/AnnouncementRetrieve.aspx?ID=45536

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors
www.erskine-group.com
www.CinemaForte.net
post #7 of 27 Old 05-09-2010, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
The entire 3D experience is totally hosed if both projectors are not EXACTLY aligned with each other ... which, btw, is physically impossible since, in this universe, both projectors cannot occupy exactly the same space.

This is a misconception. The two 35mm projectors in 3D theaters certainly didn't occupy the same space.... In fact they were usually separated horizontally by 10' or so.

As a matter of fact, with the lens shift of todays projectors, alignment will be a snap. JVC did exactly that, using a vertical stack of 2 projectors at several of the Cedia shows in Denver.

Another excellent reason to go with 2 projectors is that the light loss caused by the 3D glasses is significant and having more screen brightness to compensate for other losses is always good. Most 3D theaters have abysmal screen illumination, far far below SMPTE standards for 2D.

I understand that several companies have already developed boxes that will take the HDMI from players and split it to produce separate left / right eye signals, also providing IR signals required for active shutter glasses.

Vern
post #8 of 27 Old 05-09-2010, 01:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern Dias View Post

As a matter of fact, with the lens shift of todays projectors, alignment will be a snap. JVC did exactly that, using a vertical stack of 2 projectors at several of the Cedia shows in Denver.

I agree it's definitely possible, but just thinking about how fun it is to align a single projector once with a screen (not hard, but not exactly trivial either), wouldn't aligning two be an order of magnitude more difficult?

And doing that every time you have to change aspect ratios? That just sounds prohibitively complicated. Thinking about it, I think the simplest CIH 3D dual-projector setup would have to be a fixed lens setup, then you can get everything aligned once, and be done with it. If you use a lens on a sled, I doubt the positioning would be precise enough to maintain alignment through lens swaps.

Guess I'm just glad I've got little interest in 3D, it seems awfully complex and expensive IMO.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #9 of 27 Old 05-09-2010, 01:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Actually, it is not at all possible period. A little problem with physics here. Can you get close? Yes. Can you get a headache? Vestibular disorientation? Yes. Soft edges? Yes. One lens, one projector, much better.

Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
CEDIA Board of Directors
www.erskine-group.com
www.CinemaForte.net
post #10 of 27 Old 05-09-2010, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

I am guessing that with two projectors, one image for the left eye and the other for the right eye...that image alignment is not as important compared with viewing both projectors with both eyes.
post #11 of 27 Old 05-09-2010, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

For 3D to work, you will view both projectors with both eyes open. The LCD shutter glasses do only allow one eye's worth of information at one time, however, the speed at which they open and shut each eye is too fast to actually see (120Hz/s?).

If your projectors are not 100% aligned (and I would say vertical stacking with lens shift would be the best option), your perception of 3D will be compromised to the point that it may not even work.

I agree with what has already been said - one projector, one lens is the key here.

And I want 3D, so for now it is a waiting game to see which companies bring out which technologies and at what price points.

Mark Techer

post #12 of 27 Old 05-09-2010, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

double post
post #13 of 27 Old 05-09-2010, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

This is an extreme example of the left and right images not being aligned. However, because the left eye can't see the right image and vice versa, the 3d effect exists.

post #14 of 27 Old 05-09-2010, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

An interesting device. The technique is side by side. The problem with doing this with HT video is that your actual image is much (half as wide) smaller than the full screen presentation. If you want to maintain the OAR, the image height is now also reduced.

Note: The above image is not a true side by side image, rather the cross eye'd version. The effect is quite neat, however, not practical for projection as the final image looks very small in the centre of the screen (with the original L and R images still visible at the sides).

A true HD 3D system will display 1920 x 1080 pixels for the left eye, the 1920 x 1080 pixels for the right eye at no less than 60Hz per eye which is considered the minimum required standard for HD 3D video. If you watch the image without glasses, you will see what looks to be a double image over laid and mis-converged.

The LCD shutter glasses are synchronized to the corresponding left/right eye image being projected so you only receive one eye's worth of image at one time. Your brain processes the information from two discrete perspectives and you see 3D.
LL

Mark Techer

post #15 of 27 Old 05-09-2010, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biomed_eng_2000 View Post

Very stylish No wonder the 3D format has failed numerous times.

Mark Techer

post #16 of 27 Old 05-09-2010, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

Good 3d is not here yet, I think the next generation may be tolerable.
post #17 of 27 Old 05-09-2010, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biomed_eng_2000 View Post

Good 3d is not here yet, I think the next generation may be tolerable.

I'd be very happy with the level of 3D seen at a DOLBY 3D or REAL D 3D cinema at home.

Mark Techer

post #18 of 27 Old 05-09-2010, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Erskine View Post

The entire 3D experience is totally hosed if both projectors are not EXACTLY aligned with each other ... which, btw, is physically impossible since, in this universe, both projectors cannot occupy exactly the same space.

Quote:

Actually, it is not at all possible period. A little problem with physics here. Can you get close? Yes. Can you get a headache? Vestibular disorientation? Yes. Soft edges? Yes. One lens, one projector, much better.

I understand the difficultly of the setup, and it may be beyond my technical means. Still, there are some people out there that are currently enjoying dual-projector setups. If this was so impossible, why would these people bother with it?

Tom's Hardware Guide recently had an article about how to make your own dual-projector setup:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ctor,2589.html
post #19 of 27 Old 05-10-2010, 04:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Not impossible. Risky. High maintenance and far less than ideal. Dual projector methods (while they have been in use for a while ... perhaps speaking to why 3D hasn't been popular and had fits and starts) are, at best a kluge.

The two projector method (particularly in the current consumer market) was the quickest way for many to get 3D to market. For a manufacturer to sell you two projectors (gosh...what a concept) for 3D was something they could put together from their current parts bin and be "first to market" (makes 'em look like they're on the ball). In order to do it correctly using a single projector system, they'd have to re-engineer light engines to produce about twice the light output, and get their projection system up to at least 120Hz, if not 240Hz. That engineering, testing, manufacturing, UL, CEC, (etc) approvals don't come fast nor cheaply. It is interesting to note that one manufacturer which owns a very significant amount of IP in the 3D space (developed for military and medical markets) hasn't released a consumer 3D product yet. Wonder why? Maybe good is better than fast?

Given the opportunity to sell a "first on the block to own" customer two projectors, or no projector, most manufacturers/dealers would take the former over the latter.

Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
CEDIA Board of Directors
www.erskine-group.com
www.CinemaForte.net
post #20 of 27 Old 05-10-2010, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

[/quote]In order to do it correctly, they'd have to re-engineer light engines to produce about twice the light output, and get their projection system up to at least 120Hz, if not 240Hz. [/quote]Not true.... 2 projectors = 2x the light output. Also no reason for the panels to run a refresh rate that high because they are not multiplexing both the left and right eye images....

Vern
post #21 of 27 Old 05-10-2010, 07:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Cedia, is in late September... right? That's a pretty long wait for an early adopter like myself that is trigger happy for a big screen 3D experience. Sure, patience is the best strategy at this point, but it's easier said than done for somebody like myself that is thinking about this stuff every single day. Also, the 3D projectors at Cedia aren't going to be the kind that somebody would use in a dual-projector setup. I'm interested in 1080p 3D, and the single projector solutions for 1080p 3D are likely to be WAY out of my price range. So far, there have only been 720p 3D projectors released (in the sub 3 grand category). My thinking is that it might be another 2 years before an affordable (for me anyways) 1080p 3D projector is released.

I think it would behoove you to wait without saying anything else.
post #22 of 27 Old 05-10-2010, 08:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

In order to do it correctly, they'd have to re-engineer light engines to produce about twice the light output, and get their projection system up to at least 120Hz, if not 240Hz.

Not true.... 2 projectors = 2x the light output. Also no reason for the panels to run a refresh rate that high because they are not multiplexing both the left and right eye images....

Actually, Vern, I was expressing the time to market issue for some manufacturers to produce a single projector for 3D and the requirements for a single projector, not the requirements for a two projector system. ... not the time to market to cobble together two projectors in a stack for 3D.

Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
CEDIA Board of Directors
www.erskine-group.com
www.CinemaForte.net
post #23 of 27 Old 05-10-2010, 08:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I understand the difficultly of the setup, and it may be beyond my technical means. Still, there are some people out there that are currently enjoying dual-projector setups. If this was so impossible, why would these people bother with it?

Tom's Hardware Guide recently had an article about how to make your own dual-projector setup:

What if? So and so says? Joe Blow did this. Etc., Etc., Etc.
You're going to go ahead a do what you want. You do, however, have some rather smart people (and some in inside knowledge), telling you to wait. From a previous comment about cost, budget is a concern here. So, here are your choices: Spend what resources you have available now to get a difficult to set-up/maintain, marginally good (maybe POS) 3D system so you can have your jollies before the stud down the way. Or, you can wait a few months, see what is *really* going to be available at what price points and then make a decision...because what ever you spend now will be less money available to spend when you regret your decision later. Who knows, maybe the 13 different formats will be down to a more reasonable number by then.

Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
CEDIA Board of Directors
www.erskine-group.com
www.CinemaForte.net
post #24 of 27 Old 05-10-2010, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For a manufacturer to sell you two projectors (gosh...what a concept) for 3D was something they could put together from their current parts bin and be "first to market" (makes 'em look like they're on the ball).

I could be grossly mistaken, but I was under the impression that the people that are doing dual-projector setups are simply buying two of the same projector. I don't think they are getting some special two projector setup from any projector manufacturer. What I mean is, I don't think the projector companies are advertising a special 3D dual-projector setup that end users are purchasing. People are just doing it on their own. They are buying two projectors, stacking them, using the filters, etc, etc. Again, I could be 100 percent off-base here, but I wasn't aware of any companies catering to this extremely niche audience.

Quote:

What if? So and so says? Joe Blow did this. Etc., Etc., Etc.
You're going to go ahead a do what you want. You do, however, have some rather smart people (and some in inside knowledge), telling you to wait. From a previous comment about cost, budget is a concern here. So, here are your choices: Spend what resources you have available now to get a difficult to set-up/maintain, marginally good (maybe POS) 3D system so you can have your jollies before the stud down the way. Or, you can wait a few months, see what is *really* going to be available at what price points and then make a decision...because what ever you spend now will be less money available to spend when you regret your decision later. Who knows, maybe the 13 different formats will be down to a more reasonable number by then.

Well, this is just something that I'm currently exploring. I honestly don't know exactly which way I'm going to go. This isn't something that I'm going to be buying in the next 30 days or anything. I'm trying to learn as much info about this stuff as possible, to try to make an educated decision about it. I'm definitely very excited about 3D, and wish that I already had some type of 3D projection setup already in use. Waiting to see how this whole thing shakes out is definitely the most prudent way to go, but it could take quite awhile for that to happen. As an early adopter type, I hate waiting around for the dust to settle. I know it's the smartest way to go, but the wait can be excruciating. You never know how much time you have on this planet. I could get hit by a bus tomorrow. I'd like to enjoy this stuff as soon as I can, cause I just don't know how much time I got left. When Hi-Fi vcr's first showed up, I had to run out and buy one (along with a Dolby surround receiver) When DVD first became available, I had a player at launch (along with a Dolby Digital / DTS setup). I had a HDTV in late 1999. I had a HD-DVD player the month they were released. I had a Blu Ray player the month it was released. Etc, etc. With all those technologies, I could have waited until the dust was settled, and had a better product, at a cheaper price, but you also have to place a value on the fact that all those days while people were waiting for things to settle out, I was enjoying the newest technology and being on the cutting edge in home entertainment.
post #25 of 27 Old 05-10-2010, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Well if I was to purchase a 2nd projector to do 3D, it most certainly would not be a zoom job, it would be 2 fixed lens setups stacked.

Therefore I have to agree with Dennis and wait until there is actually 3D program to play. At this time, I think there is like 3 titles(?).

Mark Techer

post #26 of 27 Old 05-10-2010, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX View Post

Well if I was to purchase a 2nd projector to do 3D, it most certainly would not be a zoom job, it would be 2 fixed lens setups stacked.

Therefore I have to agree with Dennis and wait until there is actually 3D program to play. At this time, I think there is like 3 titles(?).

Yeah, I guess the zoom thing is a bit ridiculous, in terms of trying to do PMZT with dual-projectors. The only way I think I could do it, is with a projector that had a setting that I could type in via the remote to an exact zoom. Also the horizontal and vertical lens shift would have to be something I could set automatically as well, because if I'm going to be doing it manualy each time, I'm sure I'll end up messing up the alignment of the one of the projectors just slightly.

As for the 3D content, there isn't jack squat. Unless you're a gamer. If you're a gamer, and have a powerful PC, then there is tons of stuff. Eventually, the movies and sports broadcasts will start flowing, but it's going to start out as a trickle. It will be like watching HDTV programs back in 1999 and 2000. Back then I would watch underwater basket weaving, just because it was in HD. Heck, I would watch anything in HD, just to see the purdy pictures. I'm sure 3D is going to be the same way. Early on, I'll be willing to watch all kinds of things I would normally consider to be boring, just to enjoy the purdy pictures coming at me!
post #27 of 27 Old 05-11-2010, 12:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Yeah, I guess the zoom thing is a bit ridiculous, in terms of trying to do PMZT with dual-projectors. The only way I think I could do it, is with a projector that had a setting that I could type in via the remote to an exact zoom. Also the horizontal and vertical lens shift would have to be something I could set automatically as well, because if I'm going to be doing it manualy each time, I'm sure I'll end up messing up the alignment of the one of the projectors just slightly.

Well that kind of limits your projector choices to pretty much the Panny 4000 and even then I doubt their auto zoom is pixel level accurate to give you perfectly aligned images every time.

Quote:

As for the 3D content, there isn't jack squat. Unless you're a gamer. If you're a gamer, and have a powerful PC, then there is tons of stuff. Eventually, the movies and sports broadcasts will start flowing, but it's going to start out as a trickle. It will be like watching HDTV programs back in 1999 and 2000. Back then I would watch underwater basket weaving, just because it was in HD. Heck, I would watch anything in HD, just to see the purdy pictures. I'm sure 3D is going to be the same way. Early on, I'll be willing to watch all kinds of things I would normally consider to be boring, just to enjoy the purdy pictures coming at me!

Yeah I've heard even the news ready is suddenly interesting to watch when the broadcast is in 3D.

Mark Techer

Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page