Masking panels help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-30-2010, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Looking for any suggestions for vertical masking panels to go from 2.35:1 to 16:9 aspect ratio. Considering getting a 133" diagonal Black Diamond screen. I don't mind if they are low tech manual masks. I am not much of a DIYer. If anybody out there can make these I would be interested as well

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-01-2010, 06:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 110
I would use the search engine in both CIH forums (including DIY). Also, I would search in both digital proj. forums and screen forums (including DIY) too. Go to advance search, title search only and limit search words to one or two. The best search words would be mask and masking. In the CIH and screen forums I would also try "panel" and "panels".

This topic has been discussed a lot over the years....so you'll find a ton of previous threads discussing both DIY and commercial options. Since not everyone who has created panels for their screens will see your thread....you'll be missing out on most of the options if you don't use the search engine too.

Good Luck
Ron

"Retired" AVS Moderator
New lower price : Anthem MX-510 Receiver (awaiting payment) & ACS PlanarTrap (freestanding acoustic panel) ($300/pair):
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...tic-panel.html
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...iver-sale.html
post #3 of 9 Old 07-01-2010, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I will try looking again.

BTW, how true is it that the Black Diamond does not require masking?
post #4 of 9 Old 07-01-2010, 10:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjay71 View Post

Thanks. I will try looking again.

BTW, how true is it that the Black Diamond does not require masking?

That's a good question for the owner's in the black diamond thread in the screen forum.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
New lower price : Anthem MX-510 Receiver (awaiting payment) & ACS PlanarTrap (freestanding acoustic panel) ($300/pair):
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...tic-panel.html
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...iver-sale.html
post #5 of 9 Old 07-02-2010, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I made very simple masking, you can see it in the DIY Constant Height section. Not hard to do at all.

-Sean
post #6 of 9 Old 07-12-2010, 12:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjay71 View Post

Looking for any suggestions for vertical masking panels to go from 2.35:1 to 16:9 aspect ratio. Considering getting a 133" diagonal Black Diamond screen. I don't mind if they are low tech manual masks. I am not much of a DIYer. If anybody out there can make these I would be interested as well

Thanks!

Masking will help any screen...including a "black" screen such as the Black Diamond. Remember screens are designed to reflect light...no matter the design. Thus it will never be as black as the frame for instance.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-13-2010, 06:39 AM

Liked: 10
Jason, while everything you said is true, I can't help but wonder about the viewing environment that Drjay is operating in. The Black Diamond was designed, or at least heavily marketed, for environments with plenty of ambient light. I wonder how much added perceived blacks the masking panels will offer in this kind of role.

If Drjay isn't operating in an environment with a lot of ambient light, then I wonder about the use (application) of the Black Diamond. Curious either way.

"What we do in life echoes in eternity." General Maximus Decimus Meridius
post #8 of 9 Old 07-13-2010, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

I have been conflicted by this as well. I am not sure if I am getting the right PJ/screen combo for my setup. I have decided to go with the JVC 950 and a 142" diagonal 2.35:1 BD II 1.4 gain screen.

For a totally light controlled room, I may be better off going with a matte white screen. I just don't want the screen reflection to be high. Luckily my room is also painted a dark color so it may not be a problem with a matte white screen.

The PJ and screen will be going up tomorrow so we will see. My installer has told me I have the ability to change out any component I want so we will see.
post #9 of 9 Old 07-13-2010, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

I think you will find that a matt white screen gives the very best overall image in a dark room. This is particularly true with wide CinemaScope screens where the subtended angle of view can be up to 45 degrees if you are sitting in close, and under these conditions the brightness across the screen will vary significantly if you have a screen with gain. Also, use of a matt white screen will enable all your seats to get exctly the same image brightness, even those way off to the sides. A matt white screen also seems to give the best image resolution, and of course there are absolutely no distracting bright spots. Overall image brightness is probably the least important factor in perceived PQ. The eye adapts very quickly to whatever absolute level of image brightness is being served up - what it really notices though is relative changes of screen ilumination across the screen area.
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page