Sony VPL-VW50 Pearl scaling with Panamorph VC+Sled Lens - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-14-2010, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am interested in a Sony VPL-VW50 Pearl but when I read the reviews it says I need an external scaler to use with an panamorph vc system. Has anyone had a problem. The Sony VPL-VW60 seems to work well with VC system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-14-2010, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFree View Post

I am interested in a Sony VPL-VW50 Pearl but when I read the reviews it says I need an external scaler to use with an panamorph vc system. Has anyone had a problem. The Sony VPL-VW60 seems to work well with VC system.

I own a Pearl and yes you do need a video processor to use it with an anamorphic lens. The Pearl does not have the vertical stretch feature.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-14-2010, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Hold on. SONY WV60 (AKA Black Pearl) has both modes 1 and 2, they are just not labeled correctly. VS is "anamorphic zoom" and HS is "4 x 3" mode.

The WV40 (not sure about the 50) does not Scale for CIH as far as I am aware.

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
post #4 of 7 Old 08-15-2010, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Thanks for the response. I have a Faroudja 5000 video processor I used with my Sony 1292Q 9" crts and had 1080P years ago that were excellent (and expensive). Not sure of the Sony VPL-VW50 after reading customer feedback on pros & cons focus compared to newer models. The panamorphic vc system actually increased my color & sharpness by 33% on my Infocus projector 2:35 movies which I want to retain. 16:9 black bars are history for us now that we enjoy VC. Normal zooming doesn't cut it when there is so much of the movie viewing screen is missed. We look for any and all 2:35 material DVD.Blu-ray, Laserdiscs to watch. Note: "Ben Hur" sold us on 2:35 widescreen enough to go out and by the VC system. Best ever investment. Only new projector video technology makes it better.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-15-2010, 10:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nope I have a Pearl and used a u85 I used the DVDO Edge for the scaling. Still use it with my Panamorph 440 HE lens.

www.NastyPerformance.com

10,000 Watts, custom built speakers, 10' CIH screen = Holy Crap
post #6 of 7 Old 06-27-2013, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
very old thread...lets see if there are still any pearl owners alive! I am looking at purchasing a used pearl and was wondering if I could hear about how they are holding up and wether or not it works with an anamorphic lens? It seems like they are going for around 500ish.

Thanks!

post #7 of 7 Old 07-15-2013, 10:11 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I bought my Pearl in late 2006. Later I added lens (Schneider) and a 9 foot wide cinemascope screen. I have about 2500 hours total time mostly watching movies. I replace the bulbs every 600 hours or so as the color balance starts to drift after that. All the Sony new projectors with exception of the VW 1000 have too short a throw for my theater. I have wished for a VW 200 but it would take redesigning the custom mounting plate and is twice the weight. I have one word of caution. The original Pearl has a bug in the firmware that causes tearing on the lower 5% or so of the screen when showing 1.78:1 aspect ratio material at 24 pfs. I needed a video processor as the VW 50 has no vertical stretch and mine allowed sending 48 fps to the projector. At the time, one could send it back for a factory retrofit to correct this issue. I decided to go with sending a 48 fps HDMI signal and not risking damaging anything by sending it back to the factory. The panels on these projectors operate up to 96 pfs so the 48 fps is doubled in the projector. I know I could replace it but I would want the VW 200 and both of them are getting old.
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page