Question about 3D and anamorphic lens... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 204 Old 09-13-2010, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently accquired the Acer H5360 3D 720p projector, and would like to know if I can put a diy anamorphic lens in front of it, and possibly watch 3D in scope, without any real drop in 3D quality, I know there will be some loss of quality in the picture because of the anamorphic lens, but put that aside, would it work, I think I might just need to try this soon, sorry if it sounds like I'm rambling, but ever since I saw that there were a couple blurays in scope, I've been wanting to watch these anamation movies in BLU RAY SCOPE 3D! Man, the only things missing are a quality anamorphic lens, and a more affordable 3D projector on the market! I think I might be able to get this scope 3D thing working and have a video and some screenshots, but I see a problem with the software players that are available, I might need to make a new post in the HTPC Thread.

Thanks to the whole AVS Forum community!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 204 Old 09-14-2010, 12:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 43
3D does work with a fully corrected anamorphic lens, so might not work properly with a DIY lens.

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
post #3 of 204 Old 09-14-2010, 09:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 130
I don't see why a lens would have any effect with a shutter-glass system. Possibly some with a polarization-based one but I doubt it would be meaningful.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #4 of 204 Old 09-16-2010, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I never actually tested analygraph 3D with a lens plagued with CA. I wonder how that might have panned out?

Mark Techer

post #5 of 204 Old 09-16-2010, 04:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Probably hard to make a determination on better or worse

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #6 of 204 Old 09-16-2010, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 194
What will do the video processing? Are you saying you have an HTPC that will both vertically stretch and keep up with the required frame rates?
post #7 of 204 Old 09-17-2010, 12:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post

What will do the video processing? Are you saying you have an HTPC that will both vertically stretch and keep up with the required frame rates?

You could use a HTPC or use the projector. I don't think vertical stretch is going to affect the 3D dual signals.

Mark Techer

post #8 of 204 Old 09-22-2010, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

Just as an update for this whole 3D Cinemascope thing I had in mind, I have completely ditched the idea, because the whole setup won't work in my type of room size, shape, space. And also you have to have Powerdvd 10 in full screen mode all the time to playback 3D, so it conflicts with the ability to use a scaler, becuase the projector I am using doess not have the v stretch mode built in. So that's all for now, back to good old (but still very new) 2D Cinemascope!
post #9 of 204 Old 09-26-2010, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I just learned that the new JVCs won't allow V-Stretch to be used for 3D either.

Mark Techer

post #10 of 204 Old 09-26-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX View Post

Yeah, I just learned that the new JVCs won't allow V-Stretch to be used for 3D either.

Well that's a bit disappointing. I hope it's something that could be rectified with a firmware update and not a hardware limitation. I'd hate to have to get an external scaler for the v-stretch.

I was getting quite excited about the DLA-X7...

Michael.

Port Lincoln
South Australia

I love watching movies!

HT Flickr Page

post #11 of 204 Old 09-27-2010, 03:02 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:

Im glad I kept the Duo.

Frank

post #12 of 204 Old 09-27-2010, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelCarey View Post

Well that's a bit disappointing. I hope it's something that could be rectified with a firmware update and not a hardware limitation. I'd hate to have to get an external scaler for the v-stretch.

I was getting quite excited about the DLA-X7...

Michael.

Me too.

I understand that technically 3D is double processed image or 2 x 60P. So if a current JVC HD950 can refresh at 120Hz which is 2 x 60P and still offer Vertical Stretch, why can't the X9?

Mark Techer

post #13 of 204 Old 09-27-2010, 06:56 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

Me too.

I understand that technically 3D is double processed image or 2 x 60P. So if a current JVC HD950 can refresh at 120Hz which is 2 x 60P and still offer Vertical Stretch, why can't the X9?

Once these Jvc's are out for awhile they will release another set more improved and with vertical stretch. I want an LED so I'm happy to sit on the fence for awhile.

Frank

post #14 of 204 Old 09-27-2010, 07:43 AM

Will the Duo pass 3d as its HDMI 1.3? Maybe the new Oppo 93 will allow V-Stretch on 3D?

Martin Farinha
post #15 of 204 Old 09-27-2010, 07:45 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinfarinha View Post

Will the Duo pass 3d as its HDMI 1.3? Maybe the new Oppo 93 will allow V-Stretch on 3D?

There working on the update at the moment.

Frank

post #16 of 204 Old 09-28-2010, 10:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelCarey View Post

Due to the way that 3-D video is encoded as separate left and right views stacked on top of one another, a scaling algorithm would need to be able to identify and stretch each view separately within the same frame at the same time. That's very complex, and I don't believe that any of the current generation of processing chips are capable of it.

http://hdguru.com/3d-hdtv-and-hdmi-explained/1336/

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #17 of 204 Old 09-28-2010, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Due to the way that 3-D video is encoded as separate left and right views stacked on top of one another, a scaling algorithm would need to be able to identify and stretch each view separately within the same frame at the same time. That's very complex, and I don't believe that any of the current generation of processing chips are capable of it.

http://hdguru.com/3d-hdtv-and-hdmi-explained/1336/

Since scaling may challenge the video processor of the projector, I figure if the new Oppo BDP-93 announced (theoretically) functions similar to the BDP-83, and that player offers a v stretch mode. Would the player handle the video processing for both V stretch and 3D since it can send off the signal to the JVC as if it was a 16:9 image? At least one device needs to work with V stretch to fully function in 3D. I would figure many people would just get an oppo with their JVC 3D projector.
post #18 of 204 Old 09-29-2010, 12:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor2010 View Post

Since scaling may challenge the video processor of the projector, I figure if the new Oppo BDP-93 announced (theoretically) functions similar to the BDP-83, and that player offers a v stretch mode. Would the player handle the video processing for both V stretch and 3D since it can send off the signal to the JVC as if it was a 16:9 image?

With the current generation of processing chips, I would expect the player to only be able to apply the v-stretch to 2-D signals. 3-D signals would essentially be a "passthrough".

I don't believe that OPPO has announced the full feature set for the player yet, but I would not expect v-stretch to work on 3-D.

I'm not an insider on this. I'm just trying to set realistic expectations. It looks to me like CIH with 3-D will be limited to the "zoom method" for a product generation or two.

Josh Z

post #19 of 204 Old 09-29-2010, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Lumagen works on a firmware for radiance to apply all the 2D features on 3D content, 2.35 included.

A beta should be available soon

I'm french .... sorry for my english
post #20 of 204 Old 09-29-2010, 01:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_t View Post

Lumagen works on a firmware for radiance to apply all the 2D features on 3D content, 2.35 included.

A beta should be available soon

Do any of Lumagen's products have HDMI 1.4?

Josh Z

post #21 of 204 Old 09-29-2010, 02:06 PM

Liked: 19
At the moment, radiance are HDMI 1.1 for XD and HDMI 1.3 for XS and XE. Lumagen says that XD, XE and XS will be 3D.

HDMI 1.1 is enough for 3D video.

3D activation feature depends on EDID, no particular requirement about HDMI hardware version is required.

A firmware for radiance should be available soon.

I'm french .... sorry for my english
post #22 of 204 Old 09-30-2010, 09:55 AM
jrp
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
The RadianceXD, RadianceXE, and RadianceXS will all support HDMI 1.4 3D required modes. We expect to have a first Beta release in about two weeks. There is a fee for the upgrade to 3D.

Note that the HDMI chips support 3D, but we are apparently the only video processor company that will process 3D. Others are doing "pass-through" which pretty much negates any advantage of having a video processor. We will be doing the same processing as we do for 2D, including aspect ratio control, cropping, sizing, scaling, etc.

So for example you can continue to use your "2D" AVR. By placing the Radiance in front of the AVR we do the audio/video switching and send the audio to the AVR (with blank 2D video), and 3D to the display/projector. So rather than buying a 3D AVR we suggest you instead consider buying a 3D Radiance and save spending the money on a new AVR. This will give you the best possible video using the Radiance and your current AVR will continue to give you great audio.

Contact us at support@lumagen.com for more information on being part of the 3D Beta program.

Jim Peterson
Lumagen
post #23 of 204 Old 09-30-2010, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Isn't 3D a 16x9 medium? Is there anything that was shot in 3D that's not 16x9?
post #24 of 204 Old 10-01-2010, 09:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Isn't 3D a 16x9 medium? Is there anything that was shot in 3D that's not 16x9?

3-D is no different than 2-D as far as aspect ratio goes. Directors can choose 1.85:1 or 2.35:1 as they see fit. Avatar was projected in both ratios, depending on which was largest for the screen in any given theater. (I saw it at 2.35:1 in 3-D.)

Off the top of my head, Clash of the Titans was 2.35:1. I believe How to Train Your Dragon was as well.

Josh Z

post #25 of 204 Old 10-01-2010, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
So for a passive 3D two-projector set up, you'll need two anamorphic lenses. That must be how the commercial theaters do it.
post #26 of 204 Old 10-01-2010, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post

So for a passive 3D two-projector set up, you'll need two anamorphic lenses. That must be how the commercial theaters do it.

Not really. A Barco I saw was using a ISCO 1.25x (2048 needs 1.25x, not 1.33x) was a single lens solution.

Mark Techer

post #27 of 204 Old 10-01-2010, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Off the top of my head, Clash of the Titans was 2.35:1. I believe How to Train Your Dragon was as well.

Actually about 90% of all the 3D releases have been Scope.

Mark Techer

post #28 of 204 Old 10-13-2010, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

In recent days I have been leaning toward the RS50, so this solidifies my purchasing the RS40 as the difference will fund a VP. This was necessary due to my refusal to replace my AV processor. So for now its just one more hoop to jump though. Hopefully this will be fully resolved by the time I get my the RS40.
post #29 of 204 Old 12-21-2010, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
I would like to add 3D to my theater but this is precisely the issue I was wondering about. I certainly don't want a scope image windowboxed inside my scope screen with no way to watch a 2.35 3D disc on my FULL scope screen. I guess you could come up with a lens that vertically stretches the image (optically) then your ISCO III or whatever you may use would then stretch it again (optically) in the horizontal. That's a bit too complicated and would most likely cause the image to suffer, but this is just my assumption. Other than that, you have to use a projector that has sufficient zoom or the VP manufacturers will have to make their features available with 3D content. If that's the case, I can't work with a simple FW upgrade because my VP (DVDO VP50) isn't even in production anymore.
post #30 of 204 Old 12-21-2010, 01:42 PM

I just saw this thread and couldn't resist but I had to post. I will be buildingmy HT now that I finally found a way to do a Blu0ray 3d in dual projection and polarized just like in the theaters...and it will be able to go up to 2.40 aspect ratios. I will be starting my build in the middle of January so I can't wait.

I will give a hint of what I will be doing though. I'm simply using a program to separate the left and right eye images on my HTPC, which is actually my gaming one as well, and then pass it to my left and right projectors which do have CIH capability. I will make a dedicated build thread on this when I start. Best of luck to anyone else who wants to do this too. It's definitely the way it was meant to be seen for 3D blu-ray and not on these shutter-glass-way-to-small-displays.

Skyrun Cinema Build-Speakers done and positioned. 7/2 THTLP done. Fabric Frames going on now.

Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page