Tease, new Prismasonic cylindrical lens and remote motorized sled. - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 608 Old 02-01-2011, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Sigh, time marches on. My 5000R and Sim2 C3X have performed well together a couple of years now, though I imagine the larger opening on the new lens will work even better. I probably should be considering upgrading both, but have been very content so far. I do have a question though - is Anssi going to rename the company ---- Cylindrisonic?

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 608 Old 02-01-2011, 12:27 PM

Liked: 10
Cheers didn't think of going to the site directly.
post #183 of 608 Old 02-01-2011, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post

Since AVS has already take pre-orders...in a way, those pre-orders is already "throwing money at them".

My guess is they will release them when they first have the appropriate amount of stock to take care of pre-orders and some stock for on hand orders. One assumes they've already reached final production model, if they are to release product in March. I am just spit-balling and do not have inside information.

I have yet to pay anything nor was I aware that they were taking payments already. I gave my name and email to Jason about 2 months ago reference this lens, this was prior to the AVS store email list. I've been assuming that I was automatically put on this list but maybe that wasn't the case? I guess I will go to the AVS store and add myself there, it couldn't hurt to be on the list twice, right?

Now, reference buying the lens without any reviews/knowledge of the product prior to payment and reciept of the product, will there be any grace period or return policy on the product?

-Sean
post #184 of 608 Old 02-01-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjas View Post

Also put my name down for this. Will they ship to the UK do you think? Also how many of us will be pulling the trigger on this as soon as they become available i.e. Before any independent reviews are published. Buying blind / into the hype is risky never mind at these prices (however good they may turn out to be).

I contacted Prismasonic a few weeks ago and they said I could order via AVS and they would ship direct from Finland to the UK.

However
I was showing my wife this thread and mentioned the Isco 3 so she said "Just get one of them then"
I now have a Isco 3 and cineslide after finding a second hand (but never used) one for a great price.
So looks like I will not be getting the Prismasonic after all.
post #185 of 608 Old 02-01-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 230-SEAN View Post

I have yet to pay anything nor was I aware that they were taking payments already. I gave my name and email to Jason about 2 months ago reference this lens, this was prior to the AVS store email list. I've been assuming that I was automatically put on this list but maybe that wasn't the case? I guess I will go to the AVS store and add myself there, it couldn't hurt to be on the list twice, right?

Now, reference buying the lens without any reviews/knowledge of the product prior to payment and reciept of the product, will there be any grace period or return policy on the product?

-Sean

Sean,

I am on the list through the AVS Store. No payments given yet. I think rboster meant that Prismasonic has a general idea of what to expect given the pre-orders in the can.
post #186 of 608 Old 02-01-2011, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Snyder View Post

Sean,

I am on the list through the AVS Store. No payments given yet. I think rboster meant that Prismasonic has a general idea of what to expect given the pre-orders in the can.

Ok, thats good to hear, for a minute there I thought I was being left out!

-Sean
post #187 of 608 Old 02-01-2011, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So since most of us pre-ordered or have considered doing so, isn't anyone concerned this lens may not be comparable to the ISCO or other Cylindrical lenses that have been reviewed and used by many on this forum?

It's amazing how much ppl will spend based on brand reputation, hope this turns out to be good or it's going to be an expensive early adopter's nightmare...

Would be great if Prismasonic got this lens in the hands of one of the well respected calibrator's like UMR to take for a test spin!
post #188 of 608 Old 02-01-2011, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotchaa View Post

So since most of us pre-ordered or have considered doing so, isn't anyone concerned this lens may not be comparable to the ISCO or other Cylindrical lenses that have been reviewed and used by many on this forum?

It's amazing how much ppl will spend based on brand reputation, hope this turns out to be good or it's going to be an expensive early adopter's nightmare...

Would be great if Prismasonic got this lens in the hands of one of the well respected calibrator's like UMR to take for a test spin!

I can say you can't include me as far as buying based on brand reputation (not saying that Prismasonic has a bad reputation, or at least not that I've heard), but I'm buying based on the specs mentioned earlier reference short throw ratio capabilities with recessed lenses such as the newer JVC models. I'm just hoping this lens will be able to work with the new JVCs at a TR of 1.4 or maybe even 1.3? It would be more settling to have a review to confirm specs prior to purchase, but who knows if that will happen?

-Sean
post #189 of 608 Old 02-01-2011, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Quote:

I assure you this lens equals if not out performs the Isco3 in a few areas.
Will post more with pictures soon.
post #190 of 608 Old 02-01-2011, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gouger View Post

That's always great to hear! Also, can you confirm that you have not started taking deposits as of yet? As much as I want confirmation of specs before purchase, I also want to be one of the first in line, lol, I know that kind of negates each other but oh well.

-Sean
post #191 of 608 Old 02-02-2011, 05:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Snyder View Post

Sean,

That is exactly what I meant. Thanks for clarifying.

Ron

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #192 of 608 Old 02-02-2011, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

Wow

Bargain alert!

Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
post #193 of 608 Old 02-02-2011, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Also Alan, what are the chances the price will go down more than currently advertised on the AVS site for the pre-order? As it currently is listed at $2990.00 for just the lens, it was previously stated that it would initially be offered for under $2900.00, was that wishfull thinking or is that still a possible price?

-Sean
post #194 of 608 Old 02-02-2011, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I can say you can't include me as far as buying based on brand reputation (not saying that Prismasonic has a bad reputation, or at least not that I've heard), but I'm buying based on the specs mentioned earlier reference short throw ratio capabilities with recessed lenses such as the newer JVC models. I'm just hoping this lens will be able to work with the new JVCs at a TR of 1.4 or maybe even 1.3? It would be more settling to have a review to confirm specs prior to purchase, but who knows if that will happen?

-Sean

Based on specs is as good as marketing without a solid review. But I'm right there with you, my RS50 is waiting for this lens, I have it sitting on a table waiting for a ceiling mount with the A-Lens, I just hope this turns out to be as good as Alan's saying. I've passed on a few A-Lens thus far to wait on this, and if a shorter throw can work, it will make my wife happy as far as placement!
post #195 of 608 Old 02-02-2011, 07:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Which ISCO3 the L or S?
post #196 of 608 Old 02-02-2011, 08:05 PM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

Send one to me, lets have a look. I predict the same; price & weight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #197 of 608 Old 02-02-2011, 08:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post

Send one to me, lets have a look. I predict the same; price & weight.

Ouch! Hopefully a few more areas! Your opinion would be highly accepted I'm sure, and maybe it will impress you more than you think (fingers crossed).

-Sean
post #198 of 608 Old 02-10-2011, 05:18 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:

Definitely looking forward to the review. I'm curious to know where it will out preform the ISCO III.

Maybe it's me but I thought the glass had a lot to do with the lens performance, hence the ISCO III price.

Frank

post #199 of 608 Old 02-11-2011, 06:47 AM
Advanced Member

This is gonna kick ass. (in the voice of the girl with braces from The 40 Year Old Virgin)

-Sean
post #200 of 608 Old 02-11-2011, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

A few new pictures. The lens is on time for delivery end of next month. We will update order details soon. The mount will be ready one to two months after the first batch of lens ship. Price and picture of mount to follow.

post #201 of 608 Old 02-11-2011, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

That looks nice! Can't wait for more info!

-Sean
post #202 of 608 Old 02-11-2011, 07:17 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:

That looks nice! Can't wait for more info!

-Sean

I agree

Frank

post #203 of 608 Old 02-11-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:

... We will update order details soon. The mount will be ready one to two months after the first batch of lens ship.

Presumably the "mount" is the lift.
Also, pls include dimensions of the lift assembly.
Nice to see something that looks like real pictures and not Google Sketchup.
post #204 of 608 Old 02-11-2011, 07:25 PM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Is that light shining under and around the exit element? Not being sealed would concern me if so.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #205 of 608 Old 02-11-2011, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

Can someone explain if you have a ceiling mounted RS50, using Chief RPMA281, what are the options for mounting this lens? I've got an adjustable 18-24" pole and it's at 24" right now. So the lens + what mount is going to work with this? is the Cineslide an option?

It's kind of pointless to have a lens you can't use if the mount is not available. The one shipping after the lens looks really nice but how is one suppose to mount it with an existing setup? Looking for motorized mount for the lens, that would work with the motorized focus...
post #206 of 608 Old 02-11-2011, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

SteveHorn and Gotchaa will get more detail and clarification to your questions. Expect a followup early next week.
post #207 of 608 Old 02-12-2011, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

A few new pictures. The lens is on time for delivery end of next month. We will update order details soon. The mount will be ready one to two months after the first batch of lens ship. Price and picture of mount to follow.

Excuse the dumb question, if this is a cylindrical lens then shouldn't the photo of the lens have a round casing rather than rectangular?
post #208 of 608 Old 02-12-2011, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewa View Post

Excuse the dumb question, if this is a cylindrical lens then shouldn't the photo of the lens have a round casing rather than rectangular?

Not really. Cylindrical refers to the geometry of the optics (that's probably not the best description) not the shape the lens is cut into. In the same way that you can cut eyeglass lenses to fit a wide variety of frames, the outside shape of the casing is not relevant to the optical characteristics.

post #209 of 608 Old 02-12-2011, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post

Not really. Cylindrical refers to the geometry of the optics (that's probably not the best description) not the shape the lens is cut into. In the same way that you can cut eyeglass lenses to fit a wide variety of frames, the outside shape of the casing is not relevant to the optical characteristics.

Think of looking at the lens in plan (top view) and a plano concave lens will will look as if a cylinder has been removed from it. From the side, the same lens will appear as a rectangle.

It actually costs more to produce "round" lenses than square ones, so probably contributes to why this lens can be offered for the price it is and why I also elected to run with a square front lens for the MK4.
LL

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
post #210 of 608 Old 02-14-2011, 09:49 PM

Liked: 11
Hi all,

This looks great!

Can someone confirm if the current (older) ceiling mount from Prismasonic (the C-200) will be compatible with this new lens?

Cheers.
Ken
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page