post #31 of 51 Old 01-31-2011, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
You can do it with a VC lens, it's just very impractical to remove the lens for non-scope content.
Precisely why is it impractical to remove the lens for Non-Scope content?

Could you not just have a sled for the lens and move it out of the way and change the scaling mode on the projector when viewing Non-Scope material?

...Glenn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 Old 01-31-2011, 09:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Because the image would "expand" (uncompress) off the top/bottom of the screen thus requiring you to zoom (if possible) to return the image to within the screen bounds.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #33 of 51 Old 02-02-2011, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just installed my new RS40 with an ISCO II lens. They seem to work VERY WELL together. I have a 2.37 128" screen and my projector is mounted at about 19'. I haven't really been able to test the setup much, but so far I am very pleased. I also have the Oppo 93, but haven't been able to test the "anamorphic zoom" on it with 3D.
post #34 of 51 Old 02-02-2011, 09:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by phansson View Post

I just installed my new RS40 with an ISCO II lens. They seem to work VERY WELL together. I have a 2.37 128" screen and my projector is mounted at about 19'. I haven't really been able to test the setup much, but so far I am very pleased. I also have the Oppo 93, but haven't been able to test the "anamorphic zoom" on it with 3D.

When you do get a chance to test the zoom on it with 3d and 2d for that matter, please let us know your impressions!

-Sean
post #35 of 51 Old 02-02-2011, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 230-SEAN View Post

When you do get a chance to test the zoom on it with 3d and 2d for that matter, please let us know your impressions!

-Sean

With the Oppo or the RS40?

Anamorphic zoom on the RS40 looks great. I was concerned that the "inset" of the lens might be a problem, but I was able to get the lens close enough to the cabinet. I leave my lens in place all the time. With an ISCO II, sleds do not work.

I just haven't tried to "zoom" a 3D blu ray with the Oppo yet. Like I stated in the other thread, I have had issues passing the signal correctly.
post #36 of 51 Old 02-03-2011, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Actually the correct term is Vertical Stretch as zoom enlarges equally in all directions. What 2.35 movies do you have?
post #37 of 51 Old 02-26-2011, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok, so I finally received some glasses and an emitter. So I am ready for 3D.

My setup is
Oppo 93
RS40
ISCO II (left in place all the time)

What are my options for 3D 1.78/1.85 content? What are my options for 3D 2.35 content? I haven't been able to get the 93 to do "vertical stretch" with 3D yet. Has anyone else had success?
post #38 of 51 Old 02-27-2011, 11:40 PM

Just viewed the Monsters vs. Aliens 3D Blu-ray which is 1:2,35 ratio.

By the way - good 3D.

Also have Oppo, prismasonic lens, but just ended up zooming out the picture as far as the JVC X3 (same as rs40) zoom would go. Oppo could not stretch the picture..

Luckily JVC has decent light output so that this could be done.

Now I only need "lens shift presets" for the X3...
post #39 of 51 Old 02-28-2011, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Ok, so I finally received some glasses and an emitter. So I am ready for 3D.

My setup is
Oppo 93
RS40
ISCO II (left in place all the time)

What are my options for 3D 1.78/1.85 content? What are my options for 3D 2.35 content? I haven't been able to get the 93 to do "vertical stretch" with 3D yet. Has anyone else had success?

Unfortunately, the only option I could think of to get you JVC to scale 3D content is with a lumagen scaler. Like this one, and worse it ain't cheap.

http://shop.avscience.com/Lumagen-Ra...-3D_p_118.html
post #40 of 51 Old 02-28-2011, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmfmis View Post

Just viewed the Monsters vs. Aliens 3D Blu-ray which is 1:2,35 ratio.

By the way - good 3D.

Also have Oppo, prismasonic lens, but just ended up zooming out the picture as far as the JVC X3 (same as rs40) zoom would go. Oppo could not stretch the picture..

Luckily JVC has decent light output so that this could be done.

Now I only need "lens shift presets" for the X3...

You have my 'future' setup there: I have an Isco II, HD350 and the Opp 93 player (as of today ). I plan to get an X3 at some point, though probably used once the next range come out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor2010 View Post

Unfortunately, the only option I could think of to get you JVC to scale 3D content is with a lumagen scaler. Like this one, and worse it ain't cheap.

I have one of these already and it's amazing what it can do to the HD350's picture (including better vertical stretch than the projector does at least for 2D anyway ). As the RS40 also doesn't have a CMS (although maybe more accurate colour gamut to start with) it would be worth it for that as well IMHO.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #41 of 51 Old 02-28-2011, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor2010 View Post

Well, after some trial and error, emails to Oppo tech support, I got the zoom to work with my setup. I was told by oppo that it will stretch any 3D disc as long as it wasn't authored with JAVA. He also stated that there are NO 3D discs authored in JAVA because the PS3 will not play them in 3D. So that might be a good thing. He also stated that this will be fixed in a future upgrade (where any disc can be zoomed).

So this appears to be an option for anyone using an anamorphic lens in place with the RS40.
post #42 of 51 Old 03-01-2011, 12:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

Well, after some trial and error, emails to Oppo tech support, I got the zoom to work with my setup. I was told by oppo that it will stretch any 3D disc as long as it wasn't authored with JAVA. He also stated that there are NO 3D discs authored in JAVA because the PS3 will not play them in 3D. So that might be a good thing. He also stated that this will be fixed in a future upgrade (where any disc can be zoomed).

Careful, as there are some discs Java enhanced in 3D (Res Evil 2?) and won't VS in the OPPO.

Quote:

So this appears to be an option for anyone using an anamorphic lens in place with the RS40.

How does one HS with the OPPO?

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
post #43 of 51 Old 03-01-2011, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX View Post

Careful, as there are some discs Java enhanced in 3D (Res Evil 2?) and won't VS in the OPPO.

How does one HS with the OPPO?

Hey CAVX,

Is Resident Evil 2 3D java? I don't have that disc to confirm and don't plan on picking it up. Oppo stated that "most" 3D discs are not authored in JAVA, sorry I misread the email, but plan on being able to perform zoom on JAVA discs with a firmware update. This is the email I received from Oppo.

Quote:

If the disc uses BD-JAVA, then zooming will not work. This will be corrected in a future firmware release when we offload the zooming to the Marvell QDEO solution.

Best Regards,

What does HS stand for?
post #44 of 51 Old 03-01-2011, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
HS= Horizontal Squeeze. To restore the image to 16:9 while leaving the lens in place.
post #45 of 51 Old 03-01-2011, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

HS= Horizontal Squeeze. To restore the image to 16:9 while leaving the lens in place.

Thank you, I am an idiot. No the Oppo doesn't have a horizontal squeeze.
post #46 of 51 Old 08-31-2012, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Sorry for bringing back an old thread, but I have a question that I can't get answered.

I have a RS-40 and I am currently using a 16x9 screen. Do I have to purchase an anamorphic lens in order to use a 2:35 screen correctly? I am moving in a month and would like to go with a 2:35 screen without having to replace the projector. A few folks have recommended I pick up a Lumagen Radiance Mini-3D because it has the ability to do this...

Any help would be much appreciated..

Thanks
post #47 of 51 Old 08-31-2012, 02:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post

Sorry for bringing back an old thread, but I have a question that I can't get answered.
I have a RS-40 and I am currently using a 16x9 screen. Do I have to purchase an anamorphic lens in order to use a 2:35 screen correctly? I am moving in a month and would like to go with a 2:35 screen without having to replace the projector. A few folks have recommended I pick up a Lumagen Radiance Mini-3D because it has the ability to do this...
Any help would be much appreciated..
Thanks

No you do not have to have an A-lens to use a scope screen with an RS40. You can do it without an A-lens and without a Lumagen. You would have to use the power zoom and power lens shift to adjust the image to fit, whenever changing from 16:9 aspect ratio material to scope material. You could also do it with a Lumagen. Letting the Lumagen shrink the image rather than using the projector. An A-lens with out a Lumagen will also do what you are asking. With just an A-lens, you could slide the lens out of the way when projecting 16:9 and use the A-lens for scope content. You can even leave the lens in place and shrink the image for 16:9 content with the projector.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #48 of 51 Old 08-31-2012, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Thank you for the information.

Since the projector does not have the Lens Memory feature, would it have to be manual change each time I switched between the two formats? I am okay with having black bars on the left and right of my screen when watching 16x9 material. Am I correct in thinking that is what will happen?

Thanks..
post #49 of 51 Old 08-31-2012, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:

Thank you for the information.
Since the projector does not have the Lens Memory feature, would it have to be manual change each time I switched between the two formats? I am okay with having black bars on the left and right of my screen when watching 16x9 material. Am I correct in thinking that is what will happen?
Thanks..

Hi,

I have both a fixed wall 2.35 and a manual pull down 1.78 screen i use with the RS40. I use to have to zoom in/out and refocus with projector when switching between 1.78 and 2.35 content. This worked well but I had always wanted to try an anamorphic lens and wanted a little bit bigger 2.35 screen. I already had a Lumagen XD video processor so I got the lens a week and a half ago and now my 2.35 image is brighter and I don't have to move lens when watching 1.78 content. I haven't bought bigger 2.35 screen yet as I plan on doing so within the next month. So both of the methods work with very good results. I think it depends on how big a screen you want and if your room will accommodate it with adequate brightness. My room is not as deep as I would like and I crave a bigger and brighter picture. When I first got the 2.35 screen and used the zoom method to fill it I was hooked as I would never go back to a 1.78 screen.

Oh, to answer your question, yes on a 2.35 screen you will have black bars on left and right side of screen with 1.78/1.85 content. I plan on using black velvet curtains to mask off when I go to just a 2.35 screen only setup.

Mike

The Mayans were full of sh*t!!!
post #50 of 51 Old 08-31-2012, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbw23air View Post

Hi,
I have both a fixed wall 2.35 and a manual pull down 1.78 screen i use with the RS40. I use to have to zoom in/out and refocus with projector when switching between 1.78 and 2.35 content. This worked well but I had always wanted to try an anamorphic lens and wanted a little bit bigger 2.35 screen. I already had a Lumagen XD video processor so I got the lens a week and a half ago and now my 2.35 image is brighter and I don't have to move lens when watching 1.78 content. I haven't bought bigger 2.35 screen yet as I plan on doing so within the next month. So both of the methods work with very good results. I think it depends on how big a screen you want and if your room will accommodate it with adequate brightness. My room is not as deep as I would like and I crave a bigger and brighter picture. When I first got the 2.35 screen and used the zoom method to fill it I was hooked as I would never go back to a 1.78 screen.
Oh, to answer your question, yes on a 2.35 screen you will have black bars on left and right side of screen with 1.78/1.85 content. I plan on using black velvet curtains to mask off when I go to just a 2.35 screen only setup.
Mike

Mike,

Thank you for chiming in on my situation. I would love to be able to swing a lens right away, but with all the other costs I have with the room it isn't in the budget right now. I think I will add the Lumagen for right now and go from there. Since I haven't figured out where everything is going in the room yet, I don't know what size screen I will be getting. I was hoping to use a fixed 120" 2:35 screen, but that could change.

Like you, I am sure I will be wow'd so much by the 2:35 screen.....the zoom won't bother me.

Thanks,
post #51 of 51 Old 08-31-2012, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:

Mike,
Thank you for chiming in on my situation. I would love to be able to swing a lens right away, but with all the other costs I have with the room it isn't in the budget right now. I think I will add the Lumagen for right now and go from there. Since I haven't figured out where everything is going in the room yet, I don't know what size screen I will be getting. I was hoping to use a fixed 120" 2:35 screen, but that could change.
Like you, I am sure I will be wow'd so much by the 2:35 screen.....the zoom won't bother me.
Thanks,

120" sounds good. I am leaning toward a 115" wide x 49" tall 125" diagonal 2.35 high power screen as I like a bright image. With zooming the black levels are so good on the RS40 the black bars will be completely non-existent.

Yeah, I only bought the lens as I wanted to try a quality lens and found a great price on a "C" stock lens. For what I paid I am definitely keeping the lens but zooming produced great results as well. The Lumagen is great for all that it does as well. I will say I have been as content with my RS40(lamp issues aside) as any projector i have ever had but for some reason I always crave for more. Hopefully my video addiction will end one day. wink.gif

Mike

The Mayans were full of sh*t!!!
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page