Vertical CineSlide - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 02-03-2011, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I what my vertical cineslide. I know its possible. Think periscope. Probably need 3" longer rods to give enough extension. I haven't tried it yet to see if it will work as is.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-03-2011, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
That is the type of device that Prismasonic is making for their new lens. They are calling it a lift, it will be motorized. Its pretty sweet, you should check out the pics in the new lens' thread.

-Sean
post #3 of 13 Old 02-03-2011, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 230-SEAN View Post

That is the type of device that Prismasonic is making for their new lens. They are calling it a lift, it will be motorized. Its pretty sweet, you should check out the pics in the new lens' thread.

-Sean

I Have been thinking about this foe a couple months. Yes I did see that a few weeks back. I'll take it.
post #4 of 13 Old 02-03-2011, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Whilst I do think it looks cool, I don't see it as the best solution due to the fact that it requires so much height. The only place that it would be totally suited is when your projector is shelf mounted at the back of the room and the lens moves up or down from there. I can't see the "pole" mount with a vertical lift being that popular because of the added height the lift adds to the complete assembly. Sure when you have 9" ceilings, you probably have the room, but at standard 8" I can't really see this idea being the preferred one. Horizontal slides are more low profile, especially for large diameter lenses like the ISCO III L

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
post #5 of 13 Old 02-04-2011, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX View Post

Whilst I do think it looks cool, I don't see it as the best solution due to the fact that it requires so much height. The only place that it would be totally suited is when your projector is shelf mounted at the back of the room and the lens moves up or down from there. I can't see the "pole" mount with a vertical lift being that popular because of the added height the lift adds to the complete assembly. Sure when you have 9" ceilings, you probably have the room, but at standard 8" I can't really see this idea being the preferred one. Horizontal slides are more low profile, especially for large diameter lenses like the ISCO III L

I see your point but now a lot of the PJ manufacturers are designing multi-breathing ports on the PJ chasis with a centered PJ lens. These new designs could create issues for those who prefer to move their lens when not watching anamorphic content, as horizontal movement will park the lens in front of either an exhaust or intake port on the PJ. With PJs that have an offset lens, I would say the slide would be best, but the centered lens with dual vents are best paired with a lift, IMO.

-Sean
post #6 of 13 Old 02-04-2011, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX View Post

It seems that clearance height at least with the Panamorph HD-6000 setup will not be an issue as Alan Gouger has apparently stated that the slide can be configured to also DROP down! Now of course, you will have to watch that you don't bang your head with the lens hanging lower!

...Glenn
post #7 of 13 Old 02-04-2011, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Actually I'd be quite happy if I could bang my head on an Isco III*, not so sure about the '6000 though doesn't have the same ring to it.

* Only if it was my own.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #8 of 13 Old 02-04-2011, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 230-SEAN View Post
I see your point but now a lot of the PJ manufacturers are designing multi-breathing ports on the PJ chasis with a centered PJ lens. These new designs could create issues for those who prefer to move their lens when not watching anamorphic content, as horizontal movement will park the lens in front of either an exhaust or intake port on the PJ. With PJs that have an offset lens, I would say the slide would be best, but the centered lens with dual vents are best paired with a lift, IMO.

-Sean
Great point and one of the two main reason for wanting this. I could pull the whole pair forward past the wall but then I have hot air venting to the glass. That has got to be less than optimal. I don't want warm to hot air blowing on the glass even if it's filtered air.
post #9 of 13 Old 02-04-2011, 06:22 PM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Well... First of all CineSlide™ is a trademarked name for one device. Sometimes I'm flattered that the name is used to describe all things that move lenses, but make no mistake, there is only one CineSlide™, and it does not go up and down. We'd be grateful if any non-CineSlides are not called same. It would be almost like calling a HTB prism lens a Cinedigitar.

Second, the stand in your photograph is just the tabletop base for a Multistand II. I can get you longer posts for it if you like, we make them all the time. They aren't cheap due to the polish and materials we use, but if you want longer posts, contact me off-line.

That said, you would have to reposition your lens each time, I suppose you could make a "stop" so it came to rest in the same place each time. And, I'd strongly recommend using some of Isco's baseplate holes to bolt it down, because it will be top heavy up that high.

As for breathing ports, I've only encountered one unit with dual exhaust on the front, the new JVC. But only one side really puts out any air. The lens in no way blocks the exhaust ports air flow. The real CineSlide is configurable to "home" on either side in case you worry about it. Further, because of ample yaw adjustability in the lens mount, it can be mounted as much as 15 degrees (more by special order) off axis with the light beam so that as the lens moves out of the light path, it also moves away from the projector. But that's never been necessary.
post #10 of 13 Old 02-04-2011, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member

Panasonic's AE series have had dual ports since the 1000 model. The JVCs and Panasonic PJs are they only ones I have been interested in in the recent past, so those are what I was referring to. Maybe there are more, maybe there aren't?

Currently I own a PJ with an offset lens (Panasonic AE900), so mine slides horizontally. However, I would prefer a lift with a centered lens dual ported PJ. Hopefully soon enough I'll have a lift, as I plan on buying one with the new lens.

-Sean
post #11 of 13 Old 02-04-2011, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Seems a bit of a strange combination putting a quality lens in front of an AExxxx, not unlike putting some Wilson Bench speakers on the end of a $300 amp. Anyway, from the time I had various AExxxx models, the flow from the front was biased to one side (I can't remember which now) so you could move the lens to the other side without blocking the airflow. However, IMHO you be better just blocking the image coming out of an AExxxx anyway.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #12 of 13 Old 02-04-2011, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baumann View Post

Now of course, you will have to watch that you don't bang your head with the lens hanging lower!

I have room for such a lift behind my false wall at the back of the room. Why am I suddenly feeling industrious again?

Mark Techer

post #13 of 13 Old 02-04-2011, 11:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post

It would be almost like calling a HTB prism lens a Cinedigitar.

OUCH! Or worse still, calling a Cinedigitar a HTB lens

Mark Techer

Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page