$5,000 to spend on a Screen plus Masking System - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-01-2011, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have started construction on my Home Theater. I will probably be using a JVC-X7 projector. I would like to get a 2.40:1 screen approximately 140" Diagonal. My Throw from the screen to the Projector will be about 19'. I have 100% light control. My budget on the Screen and Masking System will be around $5,000.

I would like to get an automated masking system from 2.40:1 - 16:9. Some of the systems I have looked at are:

DA-Lite Cinema Contour with the Dual Format Image

VUTEC

Masquerade CIH Masking System

So far I like the DA-Lite the best. I would like to know from the experts on this board, what your opinion is. My other option is just getting a Stewart StudioTek 130 G3, but then what do I do with a masking system.

Any input is much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-01-2011, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I like Carada screens over DA-Lite. You can go with a Stewart Studiotek and just buy the screen material and build your own frame then buy a Carada masquerade system and just apply it over your built screen. This will be closer to $6k though. If you only care about having masking for 16x9 and not 4x3 you can call Carada and see if they still offer their Vertical Masquerade instead of their new CIH system. This should keep you under your $5k budget and will be a great setup!!

Keep in mind.. Good masking system don't come cheap!

My First Home Theater

300 Blu-Rays, 150 DVD's loaded in my Movie Server!

Thanks AVS for making me addicted to this hobby!
post #3 of 10 Old 03-01-2011, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisx510 View Post

I like Carada screens over DA-Lite. You can go with a Stewart Studiotek and just buy the screen material and build your own frame then buy a Carada masquerade system and just apply it over your built screen. This will be closer to $6k though. If you only care about having masking for 16x9 and not 4x3 you can call Carada and see if they still offer their Vertical Masquerade instead of their new CIH system. This should keep you under your $5k budget and will be a great setup!!

Keep in mind.. Good masking system don't come cheap!

If I buy the Stewart Screen, will it fit the Carada Masking System with Stewarts Frame? Will it look like a nice fit or will it look like it was an added peice? I really don't want to build my own frame. How is the quality of the Carada Screen?

Thanks.
post #4 of 10 Old 03-01-2011, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstheater View Post

If I buy the Stewart Screen, will it fit the Carada Masking System with Stewarts Frame? Will it look like a nice fit or will it look like it was an added peice? I really don't want to build my own frame. How is the quality of the Carada Screen?

Thanks.

Carada screens are very good quality! They are highly recommended here on the forums! Personally Carada's screens and Stewarts Studiotek 130 are my favorite screen materials.

You should give Carada a call.. Ask to speak with David. Tell him Chris from AVS sent you.. He's great to work with and will give you all the info you need.

My First Home Theater

300 Blu-Rays, 150 DVD's loaded in my Movie Server!

Thanks AVS for making me addicted to this hobby!
post #5 of 10 Old 03-02-2011, 04:03 PM

Liked: 11
Some of the best images i've seen in my years of doing this have been on a Studiotek 130 G3 or a Grayhawk RS G3.

A Stewart screen and a Carada masking systems seems like a good way to go. Contact your AV Science sales guy to see what they can do about stretching that budget of yours.

The only thing I'd be concerned about with pairing up those two is the gap between the masking panels and the Stewart screen material. If too far apart, it can create shadowing depending on how your system is set up.

Benny
post #6 of 10 Old 03-02-2011, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benito Joaquin View Post

Some of the best images i've seen in my years of doing this have been on a Studiotek 130 G3 or a Grayhawk RS G3.

A Stewart screen and a Carada masking systems seems like a good way to go. Contact your AV Science sales guy to see what they can do about stretching that budget of yours.

The only thing I'd be concerned about with pairing up those two is the gap between the masking panels and the Stewart screen material. If too far apart, it can create shadowing depending on how your system is set up.

Benny

Benito,

I like that idea too, but was afraid that the gap would be noticeable between the screen and the masking system. What do you think of the quality of the Carada Screen?
post #7 of 10 Old 03-02-2011, 04:25 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstheater View Post

Benito,

I like that idea too, but was afraid that the gap would be noticeable between the screen and the masking system. What do you think of the quality of the Carada Screen?

Carada offers good stuff. When working with a standard white 1.3 gain (or similar) screen, i definitely choose Stewart over others. Da Lite would be my number two choice. Nothing wrong with Carada but for that nice of a projector, go with a good screen material. Note that this is all personal opinion. I'm not saying that they are the best, just the best for me.

Benny
post #8 of 10 Old 03-22-2011, 04:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

I just wish the Carada Masquerade came with AT material. I have a 120" AT 2.35 Screen Research and the day Carada introduces AT masking, I am there!
post #9 of 10 Old 03-22-2011, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
or atleast offer a service that you can send them your screen material and they apply the snaps onto it so you can use it with the masquerade.

post #10 of 10 Old 03-23-2011, 07:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony A. View Post

or atleast offer a service that you can send them your screen material and they apply the snaps onto it so you can use it with the masquerade.

EXACTLY!! Are you listening Carada!! Please
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page