Help an old CRT user with transitioning to digital and CIH - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 146 Old 07-26-2012, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Having your walls dark is great, but having the screen wall itself dark preferably black and very light absorbing is the ultimate!

The screen wall being a black hole with the screen just floating in space is the bomb! eek.gif

Are you going with an AT screen with a false wall? confused.gif

...Glenn smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 146 Old 07-26-2012, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baumann View Post

Having your walls dark is great, but having the screen wall itself dark preferably black and very light absorbing is the ultimate!
The screen wall being a black hole with the screen just floating in space is the bomb! eek.gif
Are you going with an AT screen with a false wall? confused.gif
...Glenn smile.gif

Yeah, the wall was completely dark before I took down all the black fabric so I know what you mean about the floating image look and the perceived contrast bump is really nice. I am planning on going with a Jamestown AT screen made of the SeymourAV material. I won't really have a false wall but more of a frame to hold the speakers and the screen hanging in front of that. I just don't have the space to build a false wall as this is just a spare bedroom and space is already at a premium. I'm pushing the limits of what I can actually fit in this room as it is. The constant height of the screen will be 55.3" with a varying width of 98.43" for 16:9 material and 130" for 2.35:1 material. By the time you add in the 3.5" border of the Jamestown sreen then I am left with literally just a few inches of width meaning this will be almost wall to wall screen. I'm not sure how I will mask but it will be something DIY and the last thing I end up doing I'm sure.
post #123 of 146 Old 07-26-2012, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Yes, the icing on the cake will be the masking!

I have found that masking really does a LOT with the perceived contrast and eliminating any possible distractions from less than black bars. eek.gif

I am also interested in the Seymour AT screen! After you get some view time on that Seymour Centerstage XD screen I would love to hear your impressions on it's overall performance from your particular viewing distance in regards to brightness, pop and any possible weave visibility! confused.gif

...Glenn smile.gif
post #124 of 146 Old 07-30-2012, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just playing around with the Prismasonic lens a bit this weekend, I am really surprised at just how good the image looks with the lens in place. My throw is at about 1.95 with the projector mounted inside a closet at the rear of the room. There are no doors on the closet and all of my equipment is rack mounted in there as well. I know my throw will be reduced slightly once I get my screen wall and screen up but hopefully it won't be enough of a change to distort the image too much.
post #125 of 146 Old 09-08-2012, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Awesome job I,m rocking a G70 on my curved screen.

Specialize in maximizing performance on a beer budget!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #126 of 146 Old 09-10-2012, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg1292 View Post

Awesome job I,m rocking a G70 on my curved screen.

Hey, don't you want to donate that Prismasonic lens to a good home? biggrin.gif
post #127 of 146 Old 09-11-2012, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

If only it were that simple:eek:

Specialize in maximizing performance on a beer budget!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #128 of 146 Old 09-11-2012, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If only it were that simple:eek:

I see it's disappeared from Videogon. Did you sell the projector and lens?
post #129 of 146 Old 09-11-2012, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

No I threw it on ebay so much easier to sell these items. Bought a Ski nautique so paying off the boat before
my next projector upgrade. The G70 on my curved screen looks nice and should hold me until spring!

post #130 of 146 Old 09-17-2012, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No I threw it on ebay so much easier to sell these items. Bought a Ski nautique so paying off the boat before
my next projector upgrade. The G70 on my curved screen looks nice and should hold me until spring!

Looks like you sold them both! Another dream dies. Why do these things come along when I'm broke? frown.gif
post #131 of 146 Old 09-17-2012, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Sorry to let you down!

post #132 of 146 Old 09-17-2012, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry to let you down!

Well, you can't win them all I guess. Glad you sold them quickly though! Got any pics of the boat?
post #133 of 146 Old 09-17-2012, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

I will post them tonight

post #134 of 146 Old 09-18-2012, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

here you go the reason I am back to crt! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/261082427817?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fmotors.shop.ebay.com%3A80%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm570.l2736%26_nkw%3D261082427817%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

post #135 of 146 Old 09-18-2012, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sweet! Now you have all winter to shine it up for next season! It looks nice and clean, should be a nice ride.
post #136 of 146 Old 09-18-2012, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Why thanks and best of luck with your theater it is coming along nicely!

post #137 of 146 Old 09-18-2012, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Why thanks and best of luck with your theater it is coming along nicely!

Thanks but it's actually going nowhere at the moment. I have to get a screen in here again and that means I have to figure out how I'm going to mount these speakers behind it. Life has a way of getting in the way of these projects as I'm sure you understand.
post #138 of 146 Old 07-23-2013, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I finally got linacoustic put up and built a wall to hold my in-wall speakers. Quick picture with my cell phone here. The screen wall is 12' 2" wide but it looks so much smaller in this photo. My 2.35 screen will be 130" wide viewable so with the screen frame width this will end up being nearly wall to wall screen when viewing this format. Next thing to do is mount the speakers in this false wall. I'm really driving myself nuts trying to figure out how high the screen should go on the wall, how high the speakers should go on the wall and how all of this will relate to the second row of seating I plan to squeeze into this small space on a riser. I know that each element affects the other but I'm just not sure which is most important or where to start. I'm thinking that I will just mount the speakers with the tweeters somewhere halfway between where my first row of seating ears will be and where I THINK my second row of seating ears will be. The screen will have to cover the speakers of course and I know my speakers will end up lower on the wall rather than higher on the wall so my screen needs to be low enough to create a perimeter around the speakers while also being high enough to be seen from the back row. Oh, my head is going to explode!

post #139 of 146 Old 07-23-2013, 01:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post

I finally got linacoustic put up and built a wall to hold my in-wall speakers. Quick picture with my cell phone here. The screen wall is 12' 2" wide but it looks so much smaller in this photo. My 2.35 screen will be 130" wide viewable so with the screen frame width this will end up being nearly wall to wall screen when viewing this format. Next thing to do is mount the speakers in this false wall. I'm really driving myself nuts trying to figure out how high the screen should go on the wall, how high the speakers should go on the wall and how all of this will relate to the second row of seating I plan to squeeze into this small space on a riser. I know that each element affects the other but I'm just not sure which is most important or where to start. I'm thinking that I will just mount the speakers with the tweeters somewhere halfway between where my first row of seating ears will be and where I THINK my second row of seating ears will be. The screen will have to cover the speakers of course and I know my speakers will end up lower on the wall rather than higher on the wall so my screen needs to be low enough to create a perimeter around the speakers while also being high enough to be seen from the back row. Oh, my head is going to explode!

What is first row viewing distance?
What is second row viewing distance?
Is riser built already built? If so what height?

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #140 of 146 Old 07-24-2013, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey Mike.

First row is going to be somewhere between 9' and 10'. The second row will be somewhere between 14' and 15' which puts it nearly against the back wall with a little room for the chairs to rock back. I am using real movie theater chairs that share an arm and they rock back a little. To further complicate things there is a closet at the rear of the room where my components are. I need to access that obviously so my back row will be split in the middle to allow a small space to squeeze through. The front row will be four chairs connected and centered in the room. The second row will be two chairs connected, a space of 12-16" between and then two more chairs connected. This back row will be on a riser or risers depending on what works best for the small space. Nothing has been built yet as I'm just trying to get the screen wall finished first so I can visualize things better. I spent about a half hour last night having my wife tell me what height the image looked better and from what row. She seemed to prefer it be higher on the wall. I think I stopped it at about 33" from the floor to where the viewable image bottom begins.
post #141 of 146 Old 07-25-2013, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just doing a little viewing last night on the mock up screen I have which is a large vinyl banner, using the side that is flat white though it does have a texture. First row at 10' is very watchable even at this size screen (130" wide 2.35:1). I have the 4k upscaling engaged on the projector in "FILM" mode and it's very smooth and detailed. Aside from my speakers not being at ear height, I'm leaning towards moving the proposed screen further up the wall to avoid any issues with the heigh of my subwoofer and viewing from the rear row of seats. Just need to decide how close I can get the tweeters to ear level and still have the screen high enough.
post #142 of 146 Old 07-25-2013, 02:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post

Just doing a little viewing last night on the mock up screen I have which is a large vinyl banner, using the side that is flat white though it does have a texture. First row at 10' is very watchable even at this size screen (130" wide 2.35:1). I have the 4k upscaling engaged on the projector in "FILM" mode and it's very smooth and detailed. Aside from my speakers not being at ear height, I'm leaning towards moving the proposed screen further up the wall to avoid any issues with the heigh of my subwoofer and viewing from the rear row of seats. Just need to decide how close I can get the tweeters to ear level and still have the screen high enough.

If you go with 10' first row.
15' second row.
36" image height from floor.
Then you need your riser to be 9" high.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #143 of 146 Old 07-25-2013, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 161
good luck drop zone, your room is slightly smaller than mine, while we both have a 130" scope screen.
I'm at 10'6" first row eye, and 16'6" eye for second row, which puts me not dead against the rear wall, about 20" away, for some better LFE there.

With your "real movie theater chairs" possible you can squeeze the layout more and not have the 2nd row too close to rear.

You "ok'd 10' for first row, with 15' for 2nd row is the head dead against the rear wall or 6-12" away?
I'd try and get 18" or more away if possible by tweaking the seats position.

Mine for reference:
post #144 of 146 Old 07-26-2013, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

If you go with 10' first row.
15' second row.
36" image height from floor.
Then you need your riser to be 9" high.

Thanks for this. I will give it a try and see how things look. It's difficult to visualize when I don't actually have a screen or riser yet and my chairs are not reallly in a position to be bolted down and useable. I have two of them connected together with 2x4 "skis" to keep them standing and together.
post #145 of 146 Old 07-26-2013, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

good luck drop zone, your room is slightly smaller than mine, while we both have a 130" scope screen.
I'm at 10'6" first row eye, and 16'6" eye for second row, which puts me not dead against the rear wall, about 20" away, for some better LFE there.

With your "real movie theater chairs" possible you can squeeze the layout more and not have the 2nd row too close to rear.

You "ok'd 10' for first row, with 15' for 2nd row is the head dead against the rear wall or 6-12" away?
I'd try and get 18" or more away if possible by tweaking the seats position.

Mine for reference:

Thanks for the pointers and the drawing. I have read through a bit of your thread recently and I like the setup, especially that IB sub! Wish I had the room for something like that.

I'm not completely agains the back wall with that second row and I'm leaving a pretty good amount of space between rows in case anyone wants to use a stool to put their feet up. With the second row of viewing at 15' then that puts about 12 to 14" between the back of those seats and the rear wall. I can probably move it forward a bit more if necessary. That's not really a solid wall back there either, it's an open, wide closet where my components are. The doors have been taken down so it's just open to the room but painted black to darken it all. I may hang some sort of dark curtains back there or possibly build a sliding door of some sort that would double as sound treatment in the form of absorbing or diffusing. I have three 2x4 panels on that back wall now with one handing on the back of the entrance door.
post #146 of 146 Old 07-29-2013, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I got tired of thinking about how this should be done and just decided to install the darn speakers. We made some plywood panel cutouts for the speakers so that they would mount flush and secure to my false wall. The height was a complicated compromise between tweeter height for first and second row and fitting the speakers within the viewable picture area while not having the overall screen too high or too low. I like the way these turned out. I have been listening to these speakers sitting on the floor, leaned up against a wall for the better part of two years. They sound completely different installed this way and by that I mean they sound awesome. Disconnected the sub and surrounds to confirm everything was working okay and no rattles or issues from the LCR's.

Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page