Help me Design my 2:35 home theater - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 04-17-2011, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking for help choosing my screen, screen size, projector, and anamorphic lens.
This is for a dedicated home theater with complete light control. This is for my new home currently under construction at the moment the walls are studed for the home theater but the rear wall can be extended if need be.
I plan on using Vienna Acoustics which are floor standing for the Front speakers and on walls for the surround.
there is a sump pump in the front left corner of the room which we can either take out if need be as the basement has 3, or bring the front wall out 35"
here are the current room specs 17' 5" wide , 25' 2" deep , current unfinished ceiling height is 9' 7.5" , from the front of the room there is a I beam 14' 3" back from the front wall which brings the ceiling height to 8' 7.5"
2:35 is a must , I simply need to decide what is the largest screen size I can go with , which brand, model and screen material and masking options, projector , lens , seating distance and so on . Budget for the Screen , projector and lens is $15k but there is some flexibility. the room is getting ready to be drywalled within 1-2 weeks do I need to get this done soon.
Thanks in advance for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-17-2011, 10:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Well, you can plan on roughly $5k of your budget going to the lens. Leaving $10k for your screen and pj. I own, and am a huge fan of, an acoustically transparent screen. Are you interested in DIY or do you just want to buy a screen thats ready from a box? Pretty much everything you want to know is dependent on another factor, so you need to start with one decision and work from there, be it screen size that you want, the pj you want, etc. Choose one variable and it helps figure out the rest.

-Sean
post #3 of 13 Old 04-18-2011, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Im open to anything at this point , I have read so much about this lens , and that lens , this projector and that projector. My head is spinning.
Any input would be greatly appreciated
post #4 of 13 Old 04-18-2011, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Well, some people decide I want a screen that is X big. From there they look at which PJ can work with a screen of X size and the diminsions of their room (throw ratio and lens shift being main limiting factors along with lumens), and then which screen company makes a screen of X size that works best with the PJ they then decided on. Or you want X PJ, then figure out how big of a screen X PJ will make in your room and then decide on X screen. I'm sure you understand where I'm going with this.

Being that it is a dedicated theater room, I assume you will mostly be watching movies. If you are wanting to step into the 3d world, I would currently say hold off on getting the PJ as of right now and wait for 2nd gen 3d PJs to come out hoping all kinks will be resolved. Where are you as far as PJ choice? Have you looked at a few and can't decide or are you completely open? Are you looking for entry level, or higher end? I'd say with the budget you offered you could go around $7k for the PJ if you wanted, or you could go with a lower priced PJ and save $$.

As for the sump pump, I'm not a home owner yet and don't know what it is, does it make noise when it turns on? If so, it is likely a distraction and will constantly annoy you when it interupts movie viewing.

The I beam sounds like where you will want to mount your PJ so you ensure light beam clearance. So you are looking at around a 14' throw give or take a few inches for PJ dimensions and if you decide not to go with an Acoustically Transparent screen. Or you can mount it further back, just don't forget to take the I beam into consideration when doing so. Or maybe I'm missreading and the ceiling will be the same height throughout, just that its lowered by said I beam?

We need to start somewhere. Have you been down to the room and used tape to measure off different screen sizes and stepped back to a rough idea of where you'd like the seats to see how big you felt comfortable with? Again, seating distance is based off of screen size, so if you know where you want the seats that would help.

-Sean
post #5 of 13 Old 04-18-2011, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

I would like to get as large a screen as the room will allow, The current plan is once we get to the I beam we will lower the ceiling and it will stay at the height to the rear wall of the theater . Yes this room will be 90% movie use. I am totally open to projectors and 3d , but from what I know they are advancing so fast , I dont know how much I want to invest in the PJ. the sump pump is in the basement which sucks water from beneath the basement floor should it need it , but as I stated in the first post we already have 3 so there should be no problem removing this if we choose.
post #6 of 13 Old 04-19-2011, 12:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 42
If you can light it, a 14 foot Scope screen will be very nice in that size room.

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
post #7 of 13 Old 04-19-2011, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter

What would you suggest to light it, what screen and lens ?
post #8 of 13 Old 04-21-2011, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone?
post #9 of 13 Old 04-21-2011, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoobie777 View Post
What would you suggest to light it, what screen and lens ?
I am sure someone posted a you-tube video of a JVC + Panamorph 380 projecting 14 feet wide onto a wall. It seemed to look reasonably bright. I know from experience the new JVC X series projectors will do 12 feet without issue.

Mark Techer

post #10 of 13 Old 04-23-2011, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Nothing on youtube for jvc panamorph
post #11 of 13 Old 04-23-2011, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

It was linked to this forum by one of the members. Sorry I can't remember the tread title.

Mark Techer

post #12 of 13 Old 04-23-2011, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX View Post

I am sure someone posted a you-tube video of a JVC + Panamorph 380 projecting 14 feet wide onto a wall. It seemed to look reasonably bright. I know from experience the new JVC X series projectors will do 12 feet without issue.

From the numbers that are coming out from other JVC forum threads, this does not seem possible. 500 lumens after 200 hours on a bulb is not going to cut it...............

12-14 foot wide is 3 chip DLP territory............
post #13 of 13 Old 04-23-2011, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
From the numbers that are coming out from other JVC forum threads, this does not seem possible. 500 lumens after 200 hours on a bulb is not going to cut it...............

12-14 foot wide is 3 chip DLP territory............
I think somtimes you need to take the figures with a grain of salt. The guys You-Tube video (still can't find the link) showed the image as very bright and he was projecting onto a wall to test how large he could go.

I have a friend with a JVC X3 with way more than 200 hours. He uses an MK4 lens and a screen slightly wider then 12 foot. It is plenty bright even when running 3D content. He used to run a SONY WV60 and would replace the lamp at about 1500 hours.

I do sometimes wonder what the obsession is with cooking one's retina.

Mark Techer

Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page