Noob 2.35 questions - can I do this? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-24-2011, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I just built a house with a dedicated theater room and rather than have the homebuilder put in their cookie cutter system, I decided to research online and do my own.

I would really like to do 2.35, but it looks very complicated compared to ordering a nice (Epson 9700UB or comparable) projector and an Elite Screen in 16:9.

My situation is that I have a large room (except for the 8 foot ceilings) and completely controlled lighting. It is 19' 6" wide by 25' deep. I will be painting the room with dark (brown, probably) flat paint, including the ceilings. The carpet is a tan color.

I have plenty of wall to go 2.35 in a good screen size, hoping to go at least 60 inches tall and maybe even 66 inches tall if I go with 2.35.

However, it doesn't appear to be as simple as ordering a 2.35 screen and choosing "just scan" on my PS3 with a 2.35 movie.

Can anyone point me in the direction of some tried and true setups for this? I'd like to keep costs reasonable, but I still want a nice setup. I mentioned that I am looking at the Epson 9700UB, but I am open to other projectors.

Are there projectors with 2.35 built in, or is it strictly an "add a anamorph lens" kind of scene right now?

Also, at the risk of breaking this into two parts - but in a very controlled setting as I have described - what would you recommend for a screen? I am very wary of the gray screens, but I'm pretty sure I don't need a high gain screen. Would a 1.0 or 1.1 screen be a good safe compromise?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

-Tom Steele
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-25-2011, 12:10 AM
AVS Special Member

With the dimensions of your room, I wouldn't consider anything but a 2.35 setup. The fact that your wanting a screen that tall would really require an A lens for maximum light and pixel density, a must with large screens. You'll probably need 700-800 real lumens to light a screen that size. You should be ok with your projector choice.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-25-2011, 08:39 AM

Well I have the 8700UB and I just bought a 150" 1.0 gain 2.35:1(Had a 119" 16:9 Da-lite screen for 7 years before) Screen and "For now" using the zoom method and the picture looks awesome...I would recommend a 2:35:1 Screen to everyone that has the room...I should have switched long ago!!!

So the 9700UB would work great also...and even better if you went with a A-Lens

If you buy it, USE IT!!!!
post #4 of 4 Old 04-25-2011, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsteele93 View Post

Are there projectors with 2.35 built in, or is it strictly an "add a anamorph lens" kind of scene right now?

DP has a native Scope projector but at 45K, I think you are better off adding an A-Lens to a 16:9 projector.

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page