Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 05-23-2011, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Greetings all,

I blame this forum for *forcing* me into a CIH setup for my theater. I've recently finished it, and am still tweaking the PJ and the lens.

Setup: JVC RS50, Panamorph U480, Carada Masquerade 136" 2.35 mask/screen. Projector is ceiling mounted, center of the room/screen, using the Chief / Panamorph plate and motorized slide.

So with the PJ in 16x9, image centered, everything is fine, no spillover onto the left/right masks at all. Bring the A-lens into place, and the image border is shifted to the left, spilling quite a bit of the image onto the left mask, while the right edge is now short of the edge.

I've adjusted the lens mount to angle the lens as much as it allows, still not enough to bring it into place.

Any suggestions? The lens is mounted with the thick side on the right side - instructions indicated it didn't matter, but I wonder if this could be the cause?

Thanks,

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 05-24-2011, 12:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

I've adjusted the lens mount to angle the lens as much as it allows, still not enough to bring it into place.

I assume you mean rotation here?

Quote:
Any suggestions? The lens is mounted with the thick side on the right side - instructions indicated it didn't matter, but I wonder if this could be the cause?

It should not matter.

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
post #3 of 20 Old 05-24-2011, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX View Post

I assume you mean rotation here?

Yes, rotation of the Panamorph ATH sled, I've pushed it to the furthest point the adjustable screw locations on the mounting plate will allow...

Jeff

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #4 of 20 Old 05-24-2011, 11:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 369
You say that your image is centered, but is your projector really aiming straight on at the screen in a perfect 90-degree angle? If the angle is off just a little bit, that will be emphasized when you put the lens in place.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
)
Curator,

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #5 of 20 Old 05-24-2011, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

You say that your image is centered, but is your projector really aiming straight on at the screen in a perfect 90-degree angle? If the angle is off just a little bit, that will be emphasized when you put the lens in place.

No, I'm not sure... I have 'touched' the JVC's horizontal shift, and now I don't know where it's position is relative to 'center'. The PJ doesn't show me how much shift I'm using (at least, I haven't found it yet), and as you suggest, I figured that may impact it.

I assume the best/only way to align the projector is to ensure that all horz. shift is out of the equation and then see where you're at?

And I guess the only way to find the zero/center position for the horz. shift is to take it to extreme L/R and figure the middle - I'm not seeing a reset to defaults or other setting in the PJ (maybe the service menu?).

Jeff

Theater build photos:

post #6 of 20 Old 05-26-2011, 03:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, I'm not sure... I have 'touched' the JVC's horizontal shift, and now I don't know where it's position is relative to 'center'. The PJ doesn't show me how much shift I'm using (at least, I haven't found it yet), and as you suggest, I figured that may impact it.

Using lens shift should not matter. What matters is that the beam is centered. If the image is them not aligned, then rotating (yaw) of the lens should allow you equalize the image. I am surprised by your comment on reaching the full limits of the bracket.

Mark Techer

post #7 of 20 Old 05-26-2011, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Using lens shift should not matter. What matters is that the beam is centered. If the image is them not aligned, then rotating (yaw) of the lens should allow you equalize the image. I am surprised by your comment on reaching the full limits of the bracket.

Well, I did some adjustments last night, figuring out where the 'zero' spot was for the horizontal shift on the JVC, and aligned that to the center of the 16x9 screen. Now the image with the a-lens in place is much closer, but still shifted (now slightly) to the left.

But yes, the a-lens sled is still at the limit yaw adjustment on the Panamorph/Chief bracket. I would have expected it to be dead center, too...

Jeff

Theater build photos:

post #8 of 20 Old 05-26-2011, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, I did some adjustments last night, figuring out where the 'zero' spot was for the horizontal shift on the JVC, and aligned that to the center of the 16x9 screen. Now the image with the a-lens in place is much closer, but still shifted (now slightly) to the left.

But yes, the a-lens sled is still at the limit yaw adjustment on the Panamorph/Chief bracket. I would have expected it to be dead center, too...

Jeff

Would you not be better keeping the sled straight and yawing the lens?

Mark Techer

post #9 of 20 Old 05-26-2011, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Would you not be better keeping the sled straight and yawing the lens?

Did I miss an adjustment point? I don't recall a yaw adjustment on the U480 lens or its mounting piece on the motorized sled... If I did, well, no telling where that's adjusted to!

I'll have to take a look.

Jeff

Theater build photos:

post #10 of 20 Old 05-27-2011, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Jeff,

I have a similar setup with the same lens & mount on the X3 projector. I also get a slight shift to the left with the lens in place. I ended up zooming the image out to get full coverage and then using the custom masking feature on the projector to trim the extra image on the right side. There is a photo of my setup in the link below.

Good luck.

Mark

post #11 of 20 Old 05-27-2011, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Did I miss an adjustment point? I don't recall a yaw adjustment on the U480 lens or its mounting piece on the motorized sled... If I did, well, no telling where that's adjusted to!

I'll have to take a look.

Jeff

I thought the stand of the UH440 had almost 30 degrees of yaw. I could be mistaken.

Mark Techer

post #12 of 20 Old 05-29-2011, 02:41 PM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 52
No yaw at all on the P's mount AFAIK. Bolts on squarely with 4 screws I think. FOr yaw, I think they had you move the entire slide and you don't get much. Mine has about +/- 20 degree adjustability in it, rotation at the lens where it should be, for just such reasons as these. You can't properly adjust a lens if you don't have yaw adjustment.

But, as they have a lot of these installed and this isn't a common complaint, I'd say something is wrong somewhere.

post #13 of 20 Old 05-30-2011, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post

But, as they have a lot of these installed and this isn't a common complaint, I'd say something is wrong somewhere.

Well, it is a new and different Panamorph/Chief plate specifically for the JVC RS-40/50/60...

Jeff

Theater build photos:

post #14 of 20 Old 05-31-2011, 05:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I owned a UH380 and UH440, and both shifted the image a couple inches to the left. IIRC, this is normal due to the way the optics work. It's been a while so I'm relying on memory for this, but I don't think there's any way of preventing it. I left my lens in the light path and used a VP to change ARs anyways, so it was never really an issue for me.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

post #15 of 20 Old 06-01-2011, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 229
At the HEMI home theatre meet held 5/14 at my home one of the guys who attended, Axel (his member name here also), has a U480 and stated same thing to me.
Since I have the earlier version of that, the U380 on manual slide, we slid it in/out of the light path a few times and I don't remember having this issue.
fwiw, in my screen/PJ set-up I was very meticilous about having the center of screen/PJ line up from LH wall as datum.
My a-lens is mounted seperately of the PJ, so possible I adjusted that to not be an issue 3 years ago via rotating it slightly on its own mtg pipe....

Mike R,P.E. clickable DIY hot links:

post #16 of 20 Old 06-19-2013, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I guess I should have searched a bit more before starting a new thread. I'm having the same issue in my setup. I had an older Prismasonic lens before and did not have this problem.

post #17 of 20 Old 06-19-2013, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

And I guess I should have come back to report how I resolved it...

The lens mount (the U-shaped bracket) for the sled has a bit of play - I didn't realize that when I assembled it, so didn't pay attention to any alignment. Centering that bracket correctly and then using the yaw adjustment on the sled itself got the image back to dead center. No more shift.

On a related note, I also flipped the lens over, so the weight balance of that glass doesn't tilt the projector. I don't have any additional front support wires/chains, just the pole, and with the lens installed "the other way", the weight shift made the mount flex. Speaking with someone (I think at Panamorph) about that, they suggested that the RPA mount, with all it's additional adjustment points, is more sensitive to weight shifts (due to spacers, etc.).

Hope that helps,

Jeff

Theater build photos:

post #18 of 20 Old 06-19-2013, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

And I guess I should have come back to report how I resolved it...

The lens mount (the U-shaped bracket) for the sled has a bit of play - I didn't realize that when I assembled it, so didn't pay attention to any alignment. Centering that bracket correctly and then using the yaw adjustment on the sled itself got the image back to dead center. No more shift.

On a related note, I also flipped the lens over, so the weight balance of that glass doesn't tilt the projector. I don't have any additional front support wires/chains, just the pole, and with the lens installed "the other way", the weight shift made the mount flex. Speaking with someone (I think at Panamorph) about that, they suggested that the RPA mount, with all it's additional adjustment points, is more sensitive to weight shifts (due to spacers, etc.).

Hope that helps,

Jeff

Thanks for posting back. I did move the mounting bracket side to side at it's limits and while it did help a bit I'm still off the edges. I haven't tried flipping the lens over but I do see it shown the reverse of what I have in the instructions. If I turn it the other way the label will be upside down I guess. I may just pull the whole thing down and see what centering everything to the screen gets me. Maybe if I didnt' have so much horizontal lens shift then the regular sled yaw adjustments would do the trick.

post #19 of 20 Old 06-19-2013, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I've posted this in several other threads, but since this seems to come up quite a bit I will post it again here. The adjustments are covered in the manual, but I think this video illustrates how to correct image shift much more effectively. Simply watch the Installation Video:

http://www.panamorph.com/8-support/videos

Home Theater Industry Consultant

Check out my new movie!:
post #20 of 20 Old 06-19-2013, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post

I haven't tried flipping the lens over but I do see it shown the reverse of what I have in the instructions. If I turn it the other way the label will be upside down I guess.

The label (at least on mine) is actually a small plate held in place with two small screws - it comes off and can be flipped over to avoid that nasty, nasty side effect. biggrin.gif

Theater build photos:

Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page