Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 42 Old 10-31-2012, 11:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor2010 View Post

None, actually. You only need to use the graphics driver (Either Nvidia or ATI), or use Powerstrip if your computer doesn't have them or using VGA. When you do the custom resolution, you needing to make sure the timings MATCH the normal resolution. For Nvidia Control panel, you simply select customize resolution, and first make sure the timing below are set to manual before doing any resolution changes. Ideally, you should set the vertical resolution to manual to a multiple of 8 (example 1920x816).

So the resolution is dependent on the graphics card and also the projector resolution?

I was planning on running Hdmi from the pc to my receiver. Do you see any problem with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 11-02-2012, 01:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by chomperoni View Post

So the resolution is dependent on the graphics card and also the projector resolution?
I was planning on running Hdmi from the pc to my receiver. Do you see any problem with this?

There shouldn't be any problems when using only your graphics card to do this. I even just made a video recently on how to do this that I hope makes it clear. (Note video only gives an example with Nvidia cards).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z91QpyCKAqw&feature=plcp
turls likes this.
post #33 of 42 Old 11-10-2012, 02:49 AM

Wow! Great video.
Thanks for posting it.
post #34 of 42 Old 12-28-2012, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:

All you need is to use the internal drivers for your graphics card (NVidia control Panel, Catalyst Control Center for ATI cards), or download powerstrip if you don't have them. For many recent games, it's mostly plug and play.

You should be able to use an A-lens by sending in a 1920x810 signal, and using your projector's V-stretch mode for it to work. It might even do the stretching for you, or if it does have a native setting (for it to work with zoom or stretch with projector).

Has anyone got a chance to play L.A. Noire on PC? I have a copy on steam and it will not let me select 1280x540, and I know I'll need to use widescreenfixer to do this.

http://www.widescreenfixer.org/

It would be awesome to play the game in an aspect ratio that is the same as the cutscenes in the game.

Your tips have been invaluable! I'm running an AMD 6950 using HDMI out to my new BenQ w1070 3D projector, and even found that SBS 3D mode in the Tridef drivers work with the vertical stretch feature of the PJ. Meaning...in the new year I'll be able to build myself a CIH 2.35 : 1 setup

That said, I'm definitely going to pick up an NVIDIA Gfx card. First off, Skyrim glitches on lots of the environment shaders in Tridef (without Power 3D on, with it on they simply do not appear). There's a shader fix for stereo in dx9 but only for 3DTV Play / NVIDIA. I can always use my "old" 6950 when I upgrade to power my plasma TV when I have friends over for gaming.

Did I mention I LOVE widescreen??? Playing Skyrim in 3D using 1920x816 was a dream come true. It was INCREDIBLY annoying figuring out why it wasn't working, from having to bypass my receiver since it's only HDMI 1.3, to having to set catalyst to 1080i and THEN switch down to the custom resolution of 1920x816 to maintain the 60h interlaced so that side-by-side would work. Then when I quit the game the windows desktop is all messed up. What a hot mess this ATI 3D solution is.
post #35 of 42 Old 01-04-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post

Your tips have been invaluable! I'm running an AMD 6950 using HDMI out to my new BenQ w1070 3D projector, and even found that SBS 3D mode in the Tridef drivers work with the vertical stretch feature of the PJ. Meaning...in the new year I'll be able to build myself a CIH 2.35 : 1 setup
That said, I'm definitely going to pick up an NVIDIA Gfx card. First off, Skyrim glitches on lots of the environment shaders in Tridef (without Power 3D on, with it on they simply do not appear). There's a shader fix for stereo in dx9 but only for 3DTV Play / NVIDIA. I can always use my "old" 6950 when I upgrade to power my plasma TV when I have friends over for gaming.
Did I mention I LOVE widescreen??? Playing Skyrim in 3D using 1920x816 was a dream come true. It was INCREDIBLY annoying figuring out why it wasn't working, from having to bypass my receiver since it's only HDMI 1.3, to having to set catalyst to 1080i and THEN switch down to the custom resolution of 1920x816 to maintain the 60h interlaced so that side-by-side would work. Then when I quit the game the windows desktop is all messed up. What a hot mess this ATI 3D solution is.

Edit: I misunderstood the term "invaluable", my mistake

I would like to add Skyrim does have problems when running on a wider aspect ratio out of the box (HUD problems). Widescreengamingforum.com has been pretty helpful in solving problems with games having such problems. Any other problems, you can consult the forums on the website.

http://www.wsgf.org/dr/elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/en
post #36 of 42 Old 05-09-2013, 11:13 AM

I made a new video that I hope streamlines the process better. There is still an issue with the recording device (Bandicam) that misframes the image, but I think this is an improvement over the previous video.

Start at 1:44 to begin the tutorial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McrnSU3OZNc&list=HL1368122805&feature=mh_lolz

1.)Right Click on Nvidia Control Panel.

2.) Select Display>change Resolution

3.) Scroll down and click Customize

4.)Select "Create Custom Resolution

5.) Select Timings, set "Standard" mini menu to "Manual"
*Note: Automatic can be used with an Anamorphic Lens set up as it stretches the image similarly to a scaler.

6.) Set "Vertical lines" to a multiple of 8
(recommended): For 1080p image, set to "816", For 720p image, set to "544"

7.)Select Test, a pop up will appear to ask whether the new resolution works. Select "Apply" and the image will revert back to it's original resolution.

8.) Make sure the custom resolution you selected is checked on the left.

9.) Select the custom resolution you created, usually it has it's own "custom HD" settings" and apply

If anyone has an AMD/ATI video card, I encourage anyone to create a Catalyst Control Center version of creating custom resolutions.
turls likes this.
post #37 of 42 Old 05-09-2013, 08:44 PM

For the Heck of it, I decided to record a video of Sonic Generations in 2.35:1. Enjoy! smile.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIlXSVjejGE

Here is a vid of me playing Black Ops 2. I'll add more gameplay videos from other games on this post.

Call of Duty Black Ops 2: 2.35:1 online Gameplay - YouTube
post #38 of 42 Old 06-04-2013, 10:37 PM

Quote:

For the Heck of it, I decided to record a video of Sonic Generations in 2.35:1. Enjoy! smile.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIlXSVjejGE

Here is a vid of me playing Black Ops 2. I'll add more gameplay videos from other games on this post.

Call of Duty Black Ops 2: 2.35:1 online Gameplay - YouTube

Very cool !!
post #39 of 42 Old 06-09-2013, 07:52 PM

Liked: 11
How big is that screen for 235:1 viewing? what projector are u using.. picture is very bright..
post #40 of 42 Old 09-01-2013, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 116
I'm looking forward to doing this with my setup once I get my HTPC. However, you don't need to go through all of that if your projector has the proper stretch mode and you have a lens. And, yes, you CAN do this with a console with that setup. The issue is whether or not you are going to miss information on the top and bottom of the screen, as some will be cut off. You can't get information that isn't available, so I don't understand SOWK's images on the first page. They make it appear as if MORE information is being displayed in 2.35 mode. Again, if games are designed in 16:9, how is that possible?

post #41 of 42 Old 09-05-2013, 07:51 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post

I'm looking forward to doing this with my setup once I get my HTPC. However, you don't need to go through all of that if your projector has the proper stretch mode and you have a lens. And, yes, you CAN do this with a console with that setup. The issue is whether or not you are going to miss information on the top and bottom of the screen, as some will be cut off. You can't get information that isn't available, so I don't understand SOWK's images on the first page. They make it appear as if MORE information is being displayed in 2.35 mode. Again, if games are designed in 16:9, how is that possible?

Because there IS more information being displayed in 2.35 mode. The game engine is basically rendering a 360 degree world but you don't see all of it at one time. The view is just occluded until you turn your avatar in the game and then you can a new portion of the world but then another part of your view is being occluded. However, the entire world is still there.

And no, you CAN'T do this with a console. The reason you can do this with a PC is because you can set a custom resolution which allows additional information (increased field of view) to be shown. Consoles games are coded to a specific aspect ratio although they may include multiple ratios (16:9 and 4:3 typically). If you have the choice between 4:3 and 16:9, you should be gaining additional information in 16:9 (although I suspect some games just stretch). The user has no control to change the resolution beyond what the developer coded. Using a lens and stretching a console image is doing only that, stretching it. But manipulating the resolution on a PC game reveals more of the game world.

post #42 of 42 Old 09-06-2013, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Ok, that's awesome. I'm totally going to do this once I get my new rig. Now I'm impatient. Holy crap when I get Dark Souls up and running with mods and 2.35:1 ratio...I don't think I'm going to leave the basement.

Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page