HTPC and CIH - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 34 Old 01-27-2012, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For an aspect ratio-shifting Blu-ray such as "Scott Pilgrim", however, the majority of the film is 16:9, and shifts to Scope occur periodically throughout. For any CIH setup, this is maddening, as cropping the 16:9 parts cuts off important bits, while watching the whole thing in 16:9 makes the Scope segments seem small and insignificant. The impact is completely sacrificed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 Old 01-27-2012, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I watched this an honestly can not remember which mode I used.

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
post #33 of 34 Old 01-27-2012, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX View Post

When TDK, TF2 and other films like this were presented at standard 35mm cinemas, they were presented in CinemaScope. I'm simply replicating that at home with my own system. I can watch the 16:9 portions smaller if I want, but to do so requires me to change the AR on the projector.

Because Nolan shot TDK with the IMAX extra height as a bonus, you don't lose any 'story telling' parts of the image. The extra height of IMAX is cream on the cake. My copy of TF2 does not have the IMAX footage anyway.

So, just to be clear, you're saying that in the cinema (and in your home), when the IMAX scenes were displayed, the extra height was shot into the black masking area?

Scott R
--------------
I'd much rather watch a great movie in B&W at 240 lines of resolution than a lousy movie in 1080p with lossless audio.
post #34 of 34 Old 01-27-2012, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by srauly View Post

So, just to be clear, you're saying that in the cinema (and in your home), when the IMAX scenes were displayed, the extra height was shot into the black masking area?

Are we talking about TDK still? The 35mm print of TDK did not have IMAX footage. That was only for IMAX. All 35mm cinemas used an anamorphic prints that requires an anamorphic lens. They were presented in 2.40:1 and because Nolan shot the film (including the IMAX parts) knowing that most of the cinemas would be Scope, he framed it so that it works on a CIH system.

I didn't see Scott Pilgrim in the cinema (not the kind of film I would pay big $ to see) and as I said, I don't honestly remember what mode I watched this in. In fact I only rented it based on a thread in the BD section and wanted to find out what the hype was about. I certainly would not buy this film.

I use an A-Lens so there are no black bars hitting masking in my CIH system.

If I did present Scott Pilgrim in Scope at home, then I am guilty of chopping the top and bottom off the image. If I watched it in 16:9 mode, then I endured the black bars. Clearly it was not that important to me.

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page