HTPC and CIH - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 34 Old 11-22-2011, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know this has been mentioned before, but I only found older information. Not sure if anything has changed over the years.

I currently use vertical stretch with my Oppo. I'm looking at getting a type of media player for storing my movies. PCH or Dune or my own HTPC...whichever will work with vertical stretch (if possible)

My only other option would be a scaler still?

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 11-22-2011, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagerbombster View Post

I know this has been mentioned before, but I only found older information. Not sure if anything has changed over the years.

I currently use vertical stretch with my Oppo. I'm looking at getting a type of media player for storing my movies. PCH or Dune or my own HTPC...whichever will work with vertical stretch (if possible)

My only other option would be a scaler still?

Thanks for the help.

MPC-HC has very nice zoom and stretch options. You just use the arrow keys on the keyboard or it's easy to assign remote functions for the commands.

Mike
post #3 of 34 Old 11-23-2011, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
Zoom Player also has the needed AR controls.
post #4 of 34 Old 11-23-2011, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys....that gives me some more options to look into.

Just hoping to find one that is as easy as my current blu-ray player.
post #5 of 34 Old 11-23-2011, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeEby View Post

MPC-HC has very nice zoom and stretch options. You just use the arrow keys on the keyboard or it's easy to assign remote functions for the commands.

Mike

So will this do both Vertical Stretch and Horizontal Squeeze? And will it do it at the same time? Odd-ball ARs like 2.20 need both VS and HS to get the geometry correct.

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
post #6 of 34 Old 11-23-2011, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Check out xbmc. I know it has a variety of stretch and zoom options and I believe (not 100% sure) that you can define any custom sizing option required. This setting can be on a per film basis, and xbmc ties the setting to the film in its database so the AR is automatically correct for all subsequent playings.

Severely cool media player option as well. Quite powerful, active development, many nice things in coming releases (like full dvr integration)

post #7 of 34 Old 11-24-2011, 12:52 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Mike

I liked to ask if the Home cinema version feature works with blu rays and DVDs? I tried the standard version of MPC, and it would not even work with my Blu ray discs.
post #8 of 34 Old 11-24-2011, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor2010 View Post

I liked to ask if the Home cinema version feature works with blu rays and DVDs? I tried the standard version of MPC, and it would not even work with my Blu ray discs.

It doesn't support Blu-Ray menus, it will play the main feature based on the largest file in the folder structure.

It should play DVDs just fine, menus and all.
post #9 of 34 Old 11-25-2011, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigus View Post

Check out xbmc. I know it has a variety of stretch and zoom options and I believe (not 100% sure) that you can define any custom sizing option required. This setting can be on a per film basis, and xbmc ties the setting to the film in its database so the AR is automatically correct for all subsequent playings.

Severely cool media player option as well. Quite powerful, active development, many nice things in coming releases (like full dvr integration)

I've heard some pretty good things about xbmc. I'm going to check it out.

Would be nice if there was a "network media tank" solution for this. I didn't want to have to build another computer to handle this, but if I must I will. I'd like to just be able to point my remote and see my library...something which I now currently can't do.
post #10 of 34 Old 11-25-2011, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX View Post

So will this do both Vertical Stretch and Horizontal Squeeze? And will it do it at the same time? Odd-ball ARs like 2.20 need both VS and HS to get the geometry correct.

Yes...You can offset, squeeze and stretch in any direction.

There is a fairly major caveat that I didn’t mention in my original post. IMO MPC-HC works best if you do a 1:1 rip of the movie & audio to your hard drive or network drive. I create a movie only copy in a MKV file and this will also allow you to move the subtitles into the image area. The ripping process takes about 25-45 minutes and is really painless once you've done a few…Another plus is you don’t have to deal with any of the extra crap…Previews, FBI warnings and menus and the movie loads instantly.

Here are a few example of AR control:

Normal frame from this the old movie "Gran Prix" with a 2:20 AR.

Vertical Stretch and Horizontal Squeeze.

With the frame offset...This might be a value to zoomers on a DLP projectors that do not have mechanical shift.

One other thing, the days are gone of HTPC and their instability. I haven’t reboots my HTPC in weeks.. I just hibernate it, Then wake it up…Its ready to use in a few seconds. Using a free program like Media Browser to launch MPC-HC and to manage your movie collection is just too cool. I can find and play any of the 700 on my server within seconds.

Mike
post #11 of 34 Old 11-25-2011, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've heard some pretty good things about xbmc. I'm going to check it out.

Would be nice if there was a "network media tank" solution for this. I didn't want to have to build another computer to handle this, but if I must I will. I'd like to just be able to point my remote and see my library...something which I now currently can't do.

Look into lauching MPC-HC with Media Browser. If gives you all the cover art and eye candy like XBMC. As far as I know XBMC won't bit-stream lossless audio which is major issue.

If your really into tweaking there is also video render for MPC-HC or Zoom Player called MADVR that offer full CMS capablilty and high quality video renders using the GPU on the video card.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=146228

Mike
post #12 of 34 Old 11-26-2011, 05:26 AM

HD good
post #13 of 34 Old 11-26-2011, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mike,
Very cool..I'm going to try it and see if I can figure it out.

Thanks for taking time to show me all of those options.

Those screen shots look awesome BTW.
post #14 of 34 Old 11-26-2011, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Mike,
Very cool..I'm going to try it and see if I can figure it out.

Thanks for taking time to show me all of those options.

Those screen shots look awesome BTW.

They are just captures not screen shot took about 2 minutes to do.

Mike
post #15 of 34 Old 11-29-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:

Look into lauching MPC-HC with Media Browser. If gives you all the cover art and eye candy like XBMC. As far as I know XBMC won't bit-stream lossless audio which is major issue.

If your really into tweaking there is also video render for MPC-HC or Zoom Player called MADVR that offer full CMS capablilty and high quality video renders using the GPU on the video card.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=146228

Mike

The pre Eden w/ DSPlayer will bitstream HD audio with all the same filters as MPC HC. Of course, you can always launch MPC HC from XBMC as well. That's what I do, works like a charm. XBMC launches it in the exclusive full screen mode, all my XBMC commands have been set in MPC HC key command to do the same functions and when the show is done, MPC closes and XBMC is back full screen. The DSPlayer will do everything that MPC will do but I prefer using MPC w/ madVR for the video quality and XBMC (and DSPlayer) don't support madVR and probably never will.
post #16 of 34 Old 12-06-2011, 11:48 AM

I recently made the switch back to xbmc again after a number of years with media center. The zoom options on xbmc are awesome for CIH.

I have also set the custom resolution of my htpc for 2.35. This sets your desktop in scope along with xbmc. The skin I'm using isn't scaling my thumbnails properly right now but still really cool having the interface is scope.

The other thing setting the custom resolution does for you is allow you to easily watch 16:9 content in scope. I just finished watching half a season of Dexter in 2.35 and love it. Normally I will use xbmc vertical shift feature (under playback menu) to move the video down a few notches so people heads aren't out of the frame as often. You lose a bit of the bottom of the video of course doing this. The only thing that gets watched at 16:9 now is live TV, everything from my htpc is in scope...try it and love it!!
post #17 of 34 Old 12-18-2011, 03:34 PM

I too have been using MPC-HC for CIH and really like it (since my new Epson 5010 does not support vertical stretch). I only wish there was a way I could use my FireFly remote to control the play back.

If anyone knows how to do this, It certainly would be appreciated.

post #18 of 34 Old 12-18-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyj2 View Post

I recently made the switch back to xbmc again after a number of years with media center. The zoom options on xbmc are awesome for CIH.

I have also set the custom resolution of my htpc for 2.35. This sets your desktop in scope along with xbmc. The skin I'm using isn't scaling my thumbnails properly right now but still really cool having the interface is scope.

The other thing setting the custom resolution does for you is allow you to easily watch 16:9 content in scope. I just finished watching half a season of Dexter in 2.35 and love it. Normally I will use xbmc vertical shift feature (under playback menu) to move the video down a few notches so people heads aren't out of the frame as often. You lose a bit of the bottom of the video of course doing this. The only thing that gets watched at 16:9 now is live TV, everything from my htpc is in scope...try it and love it!!

So if I understand this correctly you can set your projector "zoom in once" and don't have to ever change it? What specific resolution do you have to set the HTPC and is there a loss of quality?

Thanks!
post #19 of 34 Old 12-19-2011, 09:17 AM

The upcoming Eden version of XBMC supports automatic positioning of subtitles relative to the image top or bottom. So if you are doing a CIH and zooming for 2:35, you need not worry about subtitles being cutoff. This is a brilliant feature and I appreciate XBMC that much more because of this.

The nightlies are fairly stable now. Checkout this feature for yourself.
post #20 of 34 Old 12-19-2011, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harthenry View Post

I too have been using MPC-HC for CIH and really like it (since my new Epson 5010 does not support vertical stretch). I only wish there was a way I could use my FireFly remote to control the play back.

If anyone knows how to do this, It certainly would be appreciated.

With an IR receiver, you should be able to get it working using Event Ghost.
post #21 of 34 Old 12-21-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen_x View Post

So if I understand this correctly you can set your projector "zoom in once" and don't have to ever change it? What specific resolution do you have to set the HTPC and is there a loss of quality?

Thanks!

Not necessarily zoom in once. I would stay zoomed in for anything coming from the htpc, and scope blurays. TV viewing and 16:9 blurays would need to be zoomed back out (Depending on the projector you have ie: Mits has it's own digital scaling for CIH setups). I'm just saying once zoomed in on the htpc, I can watch 16:9 content in scope and use xbmc to adjust the image vertically to where I want it easily (as this view crops the top and bottom of the 16:9 image)
post #22 of 34 Old 01-24-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLIVE View Post

With an IR receiver, you should be able to get it working using Event Ghost.

Thanks for the tip -- I checked out Event Ghost and looks interesting.

However, I use the FireFly remote (it is an RF transmitter) from Snapstream. I love the FF remote because all of my HT gear is in the closet and I do not need line of sight infrared. There is in .ini file you can change to remap FF keys. I will keep looking.

Thanks again for the info....
post #23 of 34 Old 01-24-2012, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
For those of you using XBMC, are you able to get the XBMC UI to fit within your 2.35:1 screen (either as 2.35:1 or inside a smaller 16:9 window)?

Also, do any of you have any experience using Windows Media Center (Win7) and, if so, is there a way to get that to scale within a 16:9 window on a 2.35:1 screen?

Scott R
--------------
I'd much rather watch a great movie in B&W at 240 lines of resolution than a lousy movie in 1080p with lossless audio.
post #24 of 34 Old 01-24-2012, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srauly View Post

Also, do any of you have any experience using Windows Media Center (Win7) and, if so, is there a way to get that to scale within a 16:9 window on a 2.35:1 screen?

I use Media Player Classic with W7 and it allows for both CIH with and without an A-Lens (both zoom and shrink).

The basic controls are mostly found on the the numeric key pad:

Vertical Stretch = 8
Vertical Shrink = 2
Horizontal Shrink = 4
Horizontal Stretch = 6
Image Shift up = CTRL+8
Image Shift down = CTRL+2
Image Enlarge = 9
Image Shrink = 1
Size Reset = 5
Pause/Resume = Space Bar
Exit full screen = ESC

Mark Techer

post #25 of 34 Old 01-25-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:

For those of you using XBMC, are you able to get the XBMC UI to fit within your 2.35:1 screen (either as 2.35:1 or inside a smaller 16:9 window)?

The XBMC UI does not scale the thumbnails in the correct aspect ratio, but everything else fits and looks fantastic ie: info and pause screen etc. Custom resolution on PC for 1920X817. I am using the skin Aeon MQ3 which does not have official support for 2.35...there might be a couple of skins out there that do.

In a post above, I think I mentioned I was using Media Center including MC7 for years before switching back to xbmc. Besides the xmbc library being a pain at first, I'm back with xbmc for the long term it looks like. Everyting works great with CIH. Something else I found the other day was using two custom clicks of zoom for a 2.4 movie to fit the 2.35 screen perfectly. Those kinds of extremely handy things are just not available in MC.
post #26 of 34 Old 01-25-2012, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 101
quick question for you htpc cih users. How do you deal movies with changing AR's like Tron and The Dark Knight? Even with the zoom feature on MPC the film is basically 16x9 with black bars added in on the 2.35 scenes if that makes sense. Also how do you deal with subtitles on those films?

I'm considering making a move into the cih area but confused on those aspects

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #27 of 34 Old 01-25-2012, 11:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

quick question for you htpc cih users. How do you deal movies with changing AR's like Tron and The Dark Knight? Even with the zoom feature on MPC the film is basically 16x9 with black bars added in on the 2.35 scenes if that makes sense. Also how do you deal with subtitles on those films?

I'm considering making a move into the cih area but confused on those aspects

Because I use a lens, TDK and TRON get watched in Scope. If I was not using a lens, I'd run these dual AR films as 16:9 and just accept the letterboxing when it occurs.

Mark Techer

post #28 of 34 Old 01-26-2012, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavx View Post

because i use a lens, tdk and tron get watched in scope. If i was not using a lens, i'd run these dual ar films as 16:9 and just accept the letterboxing when it occurs.

+1
post #29 of 34 Old 01-26-2012, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I'm confused...when you have a lens, are the 16:9 formatted scenes getting displayed within the smaller 16:9 window of your screen and, if so, how?

Scott R
--------------
I'd much rather watch a great movie in B&W at 240 lines of resolution than a lousy movie in 1080p with lossless audio.
post #30 of 34 Old 01-26-2012, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm confused...when you have a lens, are the 16:9 formatted scenes getting displayed within the smaller 16:9 window of your screen and, if so, how?

When TDK, TF2 and other films like this were presented at standard 35mm cinemas, they were presented in CinemaScope. I'm simply replicating that at home with my own system. I can watch the 16:9 portions smaller if I want, but to do so requires me to change the AR on the projector.

Because Nolan shot TDK with the IMAX extra height as a bonus, you don't lose any 'story telling' parts of the image. The extra height of IMAX is cream on the cake. My copy of TF2 does not have the IMAX footage anyway.

Mark Techer

Reply 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page